The Sneaky Slytherin and the Redhead's Revenge by Yazethet
Past Featured StorySummary: *COMPLETE* Blackmail, intrigue, lust and yes, snogging. He thought he detested her, she knows she loathes him. Can Draco win Ginny over before she tries to completely humiliate him in front of the entire school?
Categories: Long and Completed Characters: Blaise Zabini (boy), Draco Malfoy, Ginny Weasley, Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Other Characters, Ron Weasley
Compliant with: None
Era: Hogwarts-era
Genres: Humor, Romance
Warnings: Slash
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 82766 Read: 214146 Published: May 10, 2004 Updated: Apr 17, 2007
The Gift by Yazethet
Chapter 9

The Gift

~*~


I’m not going to try to convince her. Every time I even attempt to insinuate that you aren’t quite the evil git she thinks you are I get my head bitten off. I'm sorry, Draco, but you're on your own,” Colin said resolutely.

Draco met Blaise and Colin in one of the eastern towers of Hogwarts. The Tower of Travels, as they had dubbed it, was initially discovered by Draco during a night he had been patrolling near the end of the year prior. The only thing that could actually designate it as a tower were the winding steps that led to a single door. Upon opening the door, there wasn't actually a room, but an entire landscape which would change each time the tower was visited. The only evidence that they were still at Hogwarts was the door that stood alone on whatever surface accompanied the the surroundings.

Draco had decided to share his discovery with Blaise and Colin since were looking for a place to meet and remain discreet about their new relationship, though, not without a price. They had agreed to offer their assistance with Ginny in return. Today their surroundings appeared to be an evergreen forest.

“Come on, Colin. After all that I’ve done to get you and Blaise together, you can’t do this one little thing for me?” He wasn't quite begging as that would have been inappropriate. Still, he tried his best at being charming.

“Colin, ignore him. He tried the same line on me. Have you tried actually being nice to her?” Blaise suggested. Draco snorted.

“I offered to walk her to class the other day and she placed a leg locking curse on me! I fell flat on my face and damn neared bloodied my nose. And then I offered to carry her books for her yesterday. She dropped them on my toes, and I think she put a weight spell on them so they were heavier than lead.”

Blaise laughed. “Draco, you must have masochistic tendencies. In the time you’ve been chasing after Ginny you’ve gotten a knee to the bollocks, a Bludger to the stomach, a face to the floor and now you’ve almost lost your toes to her books.”

“I don’t know that you’d survive a relationship with Ginny,” Colin added laughing. “I’d say you two just need a good snogging session but you’ve already done that and you almost lost your ability to procreate.”

“Don’t remind me,” he said rolling his eyes.

“Honestly, Draco, she doesn’t trust you and when you’re nice she thinks you’re up to something. You’re making her paranoid,” Colin stated.

“Can you blame her,” Blaise said. “What with blackmailing her...”

“She’s the one who started that,” Draco interrupted. “And don’t think that I’ve forgotten you were in on that one too, Creevey.” He was still a bit bitter about it, but he needed Colin's help.

Colin smiled. “I’m quite proud of that work of art. Would you like another copy?”

Blaise looked slightly confused by the exchange, but Colin told him he would explain later.

“Maybe if you returned the photo that you’re blackmailing her with-“

“Not a chance, Blaise. That is the only thing keeping her from doing any permanent damage. No, I think I have a better idea,” he said as he got up to leave. As he walked out the door he heard Blaise say, “I thought he’d never leave!” Draco made a mental note not to return to the Tower of Travels that evening.

~*~*~


Ginny was ecstatic about making the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Ron and Harry assured her she would, but it felt good now that it was finally official. They were celebrating in the common room but she was disappointed to see that Colin was nowhere to be found. She had hoped that he would share her excitement in making the team. Lately, however, Colin had been sneaking off to meet Blaise every chance he got. She was beginning to feel slightly jealous that Blaise was taking so much of her friend’s time. She’d been spending time with Harry, Ron and Hermione, but it just wasn’t the same. They didn’t quite share her evil sense of humor.

If it weren’t for Colin she sometimes wondered how she’d survived being a Gryffindor. Not that it was all bad, really. But sometimes she wondered... She remembered how the Hat had initially told her how cunning and ambitious she was and how she was very much like the twins. It had been very insistent that Slytherin would be the most appropriate house for her. She was very adamant about being sorted into Gryffindor. She recalled the words the Hat had said. “The twins were also stubborn, though they were probably a better fit in Gryffindor than you, dear child.” At that she had threatened to cast an unstitching spell on the Hat to which the Hat sighed, replying, “Very well. I am only here to Sort you. It is your decisions that will matter in the end. Therefore I shall place you in - GRYFFINDOR!”

At the time she was relieved that the Hat had placed her in Gryffindor. However, in the past few years, especially after the incident during her first year, she wondered what would have happened had she been placed in Slytherin as the Hat had been so insistent upon doing.

After the celebration there was still no sign of Colin so she headed for bed. It was Friday so she assumed he would probably be out late. Although he was supposed to be patrolling the corridors, she had a good idea that wasn’t what he was doing.

For the upteenth time that week she found herself thinking of Malfoy before bed again. She hated herself for it, but her mind was wandering. She had been thinking about being a Slytherin and the first Slytherin that came to mind was Malfoy which made her think about his grey eyes, his silver blond hair and that 'almost' kiss that happened nearly a week ago.

She was trying to tell herself that there was still nothing to like about him. He was still arrogant and conceited. In fact, she could think of a very long list of horrendous adjectives that would describe Malfoy. Now, she found it very hard to leave good-looking, intelligent and an extremely good kisser off that list.

~*~*~


The next morning at breakfast a large spotted owl flew in carrying a rather large box. Ginny was surprised to see it landing in front of her.

“What is it?” asked Ron who was immensely curious about the package.

“It’s for you, Ginny,” Hermione said pulling the card off the box. In ornate letters was her name, Ginevra Weasley. She handed the card to Ginny.

“It says: Congratulations on making the team.”She opened the box. “Sweet Merlin!” she gasped and placed her hand over her mouth.

Ron’s eyes were bugging out with excitement. Harry appeared to be drooling.

“What is it?” Hermione finally asked.

“A Pegasus. A Pegasus Vortex!” Harry answered.

Ginny gingerly pulled the broom out of the box and examined it carefully.

“I take it that’s a good broom?” Hermione asked, ever oblivious to latest and greatest in broom models.

“It’s as fast as the Firebolt, but it has some very nice extra features,” Harry replied as Ginny was still quietly examining the luxurious gift she had just received.

“It’s very pretty,” Hermione commented, admiring the flaring red bristles that made up the end of the broom. Ron rolled his eyes.

“It’s not just pretty, Hermione. It’s an absolute dream!”

The model name was engraved in silver on the mahogany handle. The textured grip on the handle was made of fireball dragon scales for better grasp and hand warmth during flight. The flaring bristles provided stability yet also allowed for maximum maneuverability. It was said that it was possible to switch directions quickly, almost instantaneously, without losing any speed.

“Who’s it from?” Colin asked.

“I - I don’t know. The card wasn't signed,” Ginny finally said still admiring the broom. “Maybe it’s from Fred and George.”

“I’d like to know where mine is then!” Ron said still gazing in awe at the broom in Ginny’s hand.

“Fred and George would have at least signed the card,” Hermione noted.

“And I doubt they would have addressed it to Ginevra Weasley. They’d probably address it: ‘to our dearest Gin-Gin,” Colin sniggered. “Besides, how could they have known that she made the team already?”

It was a valid point. She couldn’t even begin to guess who had sent it, though she hoped Hermione wouldn’t pull the same stunt she had on Harry when he had first gotten his Firebolt. Of course, she didn’t have a madman trying to kill her so she doubted that Hermione would have McGonagall spend a month doing anti-hexing charms on it.

Oddly enough, as she looked up and gazed across the Great Hall she met the grey eyes of the Slytherin she had been desperately trying not to think about all week. He saw her holding the broom. He raised his eyebrows quickly and then smiled, or smirked rather. Only one corner of his mouth lifted. Thankfully, she was the only one who caught it. She had no idea what that was all about, but she was going to find out. After a test flight on her new broom.

~*~*~


It had taken a great deal of convincing, but Colin somehow managed to get her to land after she had spent hours on her new broom. She was still a little irritated with him for not being in the common room to celebrate her acceptance on the team and had spent a good fifteen minutes ignoring him while he tried to tell her that they needed to study.

Colin had told her that Blaise thought it would be a good idea for them to study Potions together. Though she would much rather study with Blaise than with Malfoy, she currently wasn’t too keen on the fact that the only reason Colin wanted to study was because Blaise would be there. She was happy for the two, but they were practically attached at the hip. Blaise had been occupying too much of his time, in her opinion, and she was starting to feel a little lonely.

“Colin, it’s only the second week of school. The OWLs are not until June. I think we’ll have plenty of time to study. Here,” she said handing him the broom. “Why don’t you have a go around the pitch, it’s absolutely fabulous! I haven’t even let Ron or Harry take it yet.”

Colin smiled. He wasn’t any good at Quidditch, but he loved to fly, and Ginny knew it. At least she had gotten his mind off studying for a while. Eventually, however, Colin came down and insisted on going to the Library.

“You may not have a Potions test to study for, but I do.” Colin had informed her when she tried to distract him from studying again.

“Fine. Then you go study with Blaise,” she replied coldly.

“Come on, Gin. I wanted you two to get to know each other. I know I haven’t been spending much time with you lately, but Blaise and I, well...”

“Yeah, yeah. You’re arse over elbow. Tell me about it,” she said rolling her eyes. “Actually, don’t tell me about it.”

Colin became firm with her this time. “Now you’re just being difficult. I think - ”

“What do you think, Colin? That I’m being unfair? That I’m being irrational and unreasonable?” she snapped.

“I think that you need to get a little action of your own,” he drawled with a smirk.

“What?” Ginny was flabbergasted.

“You heard me. Though you are right. You are being unfair, irrational and unreasonable. I’m trying to include you. I’ve felt guilty all week spending so much time with Blaise and I’m trying to make it up to you and you’re being difficult about it. Now, you are coming whether you like it or not.”

“I’ d rather not,” she said defiantly.

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you,” he said picking up the petite redhead and tossing her over his shoulder. He held her broom in one hand and steadied her with the other.

“Colin, don’t!” she said furiously. “Put me down! Put me down right now or you’ll be sorry!”

He set her down.

“Fine. I’ll come, but I don’t have to be happy about it,” she said crossing her arms.

“Wanna bet?” he said just before he cast an overly emphatic cheering charm on her.

“Colin Creevey!” she said laughing. “You are going to pay for this!”

He dragged her all the way to the library in a fit of laughter. She kept making threats on his life and various body parts as they made their way to the library. He cast a silencing charm on her before they entered, though it was still very apparent she was laughing.

“She’s going to kill you, you know,” Blaise said when Colin had explained what he had done.

“I know. But it was the only way I could get her to come. I almost had to carry her all the way here. She’s really very stubborn.”

When the cheering charm finally wore off enough where she could speak normally, Colin lifted the silencing charm and they began studying. Ginny still was threatening revenge on Colin, but she found that Blaise was actually quite pleasant to be around. The black haired, green-eyed Slytherin knew a lot about the history of potions and could rattle off the inventors of almost every potion known to wizardkind. He reminded Ginny a little of Hermione in the way he seemed so logical and reasonable, though he was, in comparison, very laid back. He also had a wicked sense of humor. She could definitely see why Colin was crazy about him.

Ginny thought it was sweet how the two would give each other knowing glances throughout their study session. They were careful not to be too obvious, but Ginny knew that if anyone were paying very close attention they would see the connection the two had.

She was almost ready to forgive Colin for dragging her to the library when the one Slytherin she really wasn’t in the mood to spend time with appeared at their table. She had expected Blaise to greet him normally, but when Colin had also greeted him with familiarity she was annoyed and gave him an irritated sideways glance before speaking to Malfoy.

“What are you doing here?”

“Studying. As I recall, Professor Snape insisted that I assist you in preparing for your OWLs.”

She missed the knowing look that was exchanged between Colin and Blaise. She was too busy glaring at Malfoy.

“I’ve already been studying with Blaise.”

“Yes, well, Blaise and Colin were supposed to be somewhere about now?” he asked glancing in their direction. Blaise looked up at the clock.

“Yes, right. We were supposed to - uh – meet somebody about something,” Colin said as he rose to leave. “Coming Blaise?”

“Right behind you,” he said quickly gathering his books.

“Later, Gin,” Colin said grinning at her as he left. She glared at the back of his head as he exited the library.

“Where were we?” he asked as if they were in the middle of something.

“Nowhere. I’m done studying,” she said flipping her book shut. But there he was right across the table from her. His grey eyes twinkling mischievously, the same smirk playing on the lips that she couldn’ t seem to get out of her mind lately. “What was that all about at breakfast?”

“What are you talking about?” he said innocently though he repeated the same eyebrow raise and half smile he had given her at breakfast.

“That is what I’m talking about.”

“I saw you had a new broom. Just curious to know what model it was,” he said continuing his innocent act.

“For your information, Malfoy, it’s a Pegasus Vortex,” she said proudly.

“And where did you get the money for such a fine broom?” He appeared to be goading her.

“It was a gift,”she said shortly, not appreciating anything he may have been insinuating.

“From who?” he was still smirking at her.

“None of your business.” She glared.

“Maybe you’ll let me fly it sometime.”

“Not on your life, Malfoy.”

“I’ve got one on order so I suppose it doesn’t really matter, does it?”

“I suppose not,” she replied, hiding her disappointment. Of course. Malfoy couldn't be outdone by a Weasley.

“Have you come up with a potion for our next assignment?” he said, quickly changing the subject.

“Not yet,” she said knowing that she couldn’t leave now that they were going to work on Advanced Potions. She hoped they would find a potion fast so she could enjoy the rest of the weekend without having to deal with him. He got up to retrieve a book from the restricted section. As he returned she quietly cast a disfiguring spell on his face.

His eyes began to cross and his lips puckered and twisted. His perfectly straight nose became crooked and his chin drooped. She had to bite her lip to keep from laughing.

“What?” he said as he noticed her struggles not to laugh.

“Nothing,” she said swallowing back the laughter. “Let’s choose a potion and be done with it.”

She was sure that he had given her a perplexed look, but it was difficult to tell when his facial features resembled that of a troll. Ten minutes later she left the library leaving Draco confused at the laughter he was receiving from the two other people in the library. She only wished the library was full at the time. Serves him right for being so damned good-looking, she thought as she made her way back to the Gryffindor common room.
~*~*~


A/N: Since I haven't been able to get around to answering the reviews, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who left one :) I appreciate them so much! This story, though not complete, was written a year ago as my first fanfic. I'm going through and attempting to revise it a chapter at a time while I work on the last couple of chapters, so updates should be fairly quick. Hope you continue to enjoy!
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=103