Second Impressions by Slythhearted
Past Featured StorySummary: A post Hogwarts romance proving that house boundaries cease to be important when you fall in love.
Categories: Long and Completed Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Romance, Humor
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 29008 Read: 80889 Published: Sep 14, 2004 Updated: Sep 14, 2004

1. Chapter One by Slythhearted

2. Chapter Two by Slythhearted

3. Chapter Three by Slythhearted

4. Chapter Four by Slythhearted

5. Chapter Five by Slythhearted

6. Chapter Six by Slythhearted

7. Chapter Seven by Slythhearted

8. Chapter Eight by Slythhearted

9. Chapter Nine by Slythhearted

10. Chapter Ten by Slythhearted

11. Chapter Eleven by Slythhearted

12. Chapter Twelve by Slythhearted

13. Mini epilogue 1 by Slythhearted

14. Mini epilogue 2 by Slythhearted

Chapter One by Slythhearted
Author's note: This story began life as a Marcus Flint and Katie Bell romance but Draco and Ginny refused to be left out of the action. The archive Mummy has deemed there to be sufficient Draco and Ginny goodness to not only keep her entertained but also be eligible for the archive.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

********************************************************************


Angelina Weasley looked over the desk at the irate manager of the English Quidditch team and sighed. “Look it’s not my fault. This wasn’t a deliberate act. You know how much I want to play but face facts Martin, by the time the finals roll around there won’t be a broom strong enough to get me off the ground.”

“Not deliberate? You’re a witch Angelina. I’m pretty sure you are up to a simple contraceptive charm!”

“I’m also married to a Weasley.” Angelina grinned, “There isn’t a spell strong enough to protect a girl against that level of fertility.”

Martin choked slightly at that.

“I have always wanted to represent my country, always wanted to win the World Cup, but I am willing to step aside now and give you time to find a replacement rather than continue playing and make things even more difficult later on.”

Martin rested his head in his hands with a groan. “Even replacing you now is going to be a nightmare. I have finally got the Chaser line up working together and not trying to kill each other. You may not like it Angelina, but your style compliments Marcus’s very well. It would mean changing our entire strategy to bring in a new player now.”

Angelina smirked at him in response. “I have a couple of thoughts on that – what if I told you there was another Chaser who had the same style as me, has been playing professionally for as long as I have, and is eligible to represent England?”

Martin fixed his gaze on her. “You better not be playing with an old man Weasley. Who is he?”

“He’s a she you sexist git. She’s playing tomorrow in Vancouver. You can see how she is in person.”

“Do I get a name for this unknown Quidditch life saver?”

“Katherine – Katie – Bell.”

********************************************************************

Katie Bell lifted her sweat soaked hair off the back of her neck and wearily peeled off her outer robes. Her Haileybury Hammers teammates were groaning slightly as muscles protested at the last four hours of hard play. But there were grins all around; victory has a definite way of dulling muscle pain. Janet, the team manager, popped her head around the door. “Katie, hon, there’s some people here to see you.”

Katie frowned, holding her sweat soaked uniform away from her body. “Now? I’m a little fragrant – I’m sure Ollie can wait until after I’ve had a shower.”

“It’s not your Scottish Keeper, it’s a Mrs Angelina Weasley and … guest.” Janet grinned, delighted at the way this day had turned out, a championship win and, if she was reading the cards right, her top Chaser was about to get the international recognition she deserved.

“Angie’s here?” Katie dropped the towel she had just picked up and rushed to the door. “I wasn’t expecting her here today.”

Angelina waited patiently on the couch absently smoothing the material over her still flat stomach. She was a marked contrast to Martin who paced up and down in front of her.

“She’s magnificent…that last reverse pass was perfection…Why haven’t I seen her play before?”

“We’ve been over this Martin. She hasn’t played professionally in England for over three years.” Angelina broke off as Katie rushed through the door, rising from the couch to give her a big hug.

“What on earth are you doing here Angie?” Katie demanded. “I wasn’t expecting to see you till Alicia’s baby shower next week.”

Martin cleared his throat impatiently as he stretched out his hand towards her. “Martin Kingsley, England’s manager, Miss Bell,” he introduced himself. “I have a proposition to put to you.”

*******************************************************************

Marcus Flint stretched out in bed reaching over to turn the alarm clock off irritably. He was due to meet Draco for a late brunch in two hours and he wanted to get in some weight training before he had to leave. They’d had to reschedule dinner from the night before due to an ‘emergency team meeting’, the subject of which still had him swearing under his breath as he grabbed a pair of track pants from the floor.

Martin Kingsley bounced up and down the front of the meeting room as his team sprawled around the table in front of him. “My apologies for the late notice, but I wanted to tell you this in person”.

Marcus sighed impatiently, waiting for the officious little man to get to the point.

“It is my sad duty to inform you that Angelina has announced her resignation from the team.”

Marcus quickly raised his head from the floor and stared in disbelief at his fellow Chaser. Resignation? Now, he would be the first to admit that Weasley and he didn’t get along, but they were bloody effective together in the air. “What the bloody hell do you mean resigned?” Marcus snarled, “You can’t resign from the national squad two months before the bloody World Cup.”

The meeting had gone progressively downhill from there.

Marcus finished stretching out the final set of muscles before padding into the marble bathroom. Towelling off after a hot shower, he swiped at the steam that had condensed onto the mirror and stared moodily at his reflection. He absently ran his tongue over his now straight teeth. Two years after a direct hit from a Bludger had resulted in extensive reconstruction of his lower face, his new smile still took him by surprise. The protuberant teeth were long gone, the medi-witch seeing no need to grow them back into their original crooked glory. If he looked closely, he could still make out the faint scars around his lips where the Bludger had smacked against bone. He had kept playing the final ten minutes of the game; a shattered jaw wasn’t going to stop him from winning his first Quidditch title since leaving Hogwarts. The fact that the match was against Puddlemere United and that prat Oliver Wood had only made victory that much sweeter. Blinding pain hadn’t stopped him then, and he sure as hell wasn’t going to let this latest debacle get in the way of winning the World Cup. Katie bloody Bell better not hold the team back. He didn’t baby anyone on the pitch and certainly not goody goody ex-Gryff Chasers!

******************************************************************


Marcus slouched against the table, not even responding to the less than subtle flirting the waitress had been indulging in. Draco smirked at the scowling figure across the table from him. “I take it the meeting didn’t go well?”

“Sodding Weasley quit the goddamn team!”

“Ah I thought something like that might have been the case. I take it her impending motherhood played a part in the decision,” Draco murmured.

Marcus glared. “If you knew about this and didn’t tell me…”

Draco cut him off before he could work himself into a right snit. “Now now, would I do that to a friend? Don’t answer that you prat – Gin only told me last night. I would have owled you but she was wearing this little black thing with red bows and quite frankly old man you were at the bottom of my to do list”.

Marcus pushed aside all inappropriate thoughts about Draco’s girlfriend to get back to the matter at hand. “I can’t see why Johnson – Weasley – couldn’t continue playing. It’s murder to bring in a change this late in the training!”

Draco laughed. “She’s having triplets you git. Give her a couple of months and she’ll be the size of a hippogriff. It’s not as if she deliberately sabotaged your chances at the World Cup.” Marcus shifted uncomfortably in his chair and Draco looked at the slight swelling around Marcus’s left eye. “Merlin, Marcus, tell me you didn’t accuse her of doing this deliberately?” Draco broke off into helpless laughter as Marcus refused to meet his eyes. Recovering himself he asked. “Have they any idea who they’ll replace her with?”

Marcus snarled. “Oh yes we have a brand new Chaser all signed up and starting next week. I am stuck playing alongside Beanpole Bell.”

“Beanpole Bell – they asked Katie Bell to replace Weasley?” Draco pursed his lips slightly in thought. “Not a bad choice actually - she’s as good if not better than Angelina.”

“I wouldn’t know,” Marcus muttered angrily, “none of us have ever seen her play professionally.”

Draco started to laugh again. “I had totally forgotten you used to call her Beanpole.”

“It was the perfect name for her,” Marcus defended himself, “she was tall skinny and completely flat-chested.”

Draco’s eyes widened at that description of Katie, trying to reconcile that description with the Katherine Bell he had seen at George and Alicia’s wedding. “Tell me Marcus, when was the last time you saw her?”

“Not since Hogwarts. I was eighteen, which would have made her about fifteen I guess. I doubt much has changed; there wasn’t an awful lot there to work with.”

Draco’s grin became vicious as he looked across the table at his friend, deciding not to tell him that Marcus didn’t have exclusive rights on changing appearance after leaving school. It would be much more fun to see his reaction first hand. “Come over for a drink after you finish up on Monday and tell me how it went.”

“Make mine a double and I’ll be there. I’m going to need it!”

*******************************************************************

Katie snuggled down on the couch against Oliver Wood giggling as Angelina pantomimed last night’s fight with Marcus Flint. The two of them had come over to the Weasley twins’ sprawling home to celebrate Angelina’s pregnancy and Katie’s elevation to the World Cup team.

“I can’t believe he accused you of getting pregnant just to spite him,” Alicia giggled.

“Yeah well, I told him that despite what he wanted to believe his desires didn’t factor into my sex life!”

Oliver choked at that, hastily putting down his champagne flute before he spilt anymore. “Oh to have been a fly on the wall in that meeting…” he moaned dramatically.

“Ha! We’re not about to let a representative of the Scottish World Cup team into our secret team meetings,” Angelina shot back.

Oliver grinned at her. “Fair enough. But can I at least fantasise about being present to see you wallop Flint?”

Katie poured herself another glass of champagne and smirked up at him. “Go ahead Ollie my dear,” she purred, “I’ll make sure to tell Flint that you are fantasising about spanking him when I see him on Monday.”

The four Weasleys dissolved into laughter as they watched Oliver attempt to smother his best friend of nineteen years with a large floral cushion. Once order had been largely restored, a rather red faced and dishevelled Katie snuggled back into her original position. Angelina exchanged a telling look with Oliver and spoke seriously. “Kit Kat, how are you honestly feeling about seeing him again? He made your life fairly unpleasant at Hogwarts.” The twins and Alicia were uncharacteristically silent as they let Angelina take the lead.

Katie looked around at her concerned friends with a smile. “I’d say unpleasant was an understatement but I’m a big girl now. I’m not that same scared kid I was back then. I’ve done a lot of growing up in the last few years and I am not about to let some overgrown school bully use me as a verbal punching bag!”

Oliver grinned down at Katie and tucked her more firmly against his side. “That’s my girl.”

End Chapter One
Chapter Two by Slythhearted
See Chapter One for the disclaimer

***************************************************************

Katie had arrived at the training pitch early, wanting to familiarise herself with the new Firebolt XS before the rest of the team arrived. Her standard warm-up drill helped to calm her nerves as she concentrated on the wood beneath her hands and the feel of the air rushing past her face. England was in the midst of an unseasonable heat wave so she had eschewed the heavier cords for shorts hitting mid thigh. Her clothing choice had made perfect sense to her this morning but now, realising this was the first time she would meet the team, Katie began to doubt the decision, desperately wishing she had chosen something more professional. The nervous knot in her stomach returned suddenly as she spotted Martin leading the other six players onto the pitch. She mentally ran through Angelina’s comments in her head as she landed:

“Davis is a damn fine Keeper. Maybe not as good as Oliver but then not many are. He’ll stop most Quaffles that come his way. Serious about winning but not a fanatic.

Evans and Lovegood in the Beater positions. They’ve worked together for years to the point where they just *know* what the other is doing. Trust them to watch your back, they won’t let you down.

Fawcett will be playing alongside you as the third Chaser – we’ve tended to use him primarily in a support role as Flint and I are more aggressive players. Keeps his head under Bludger attacks and is a good solid player.

Harry’s like a kid in the candy store at the prospect of playing in the World Cup. I don’t think he stopped grinning for the first couple of weeks of training camp. Bloody annoying really. The rest of us would be wincing after eight hours a day on the broom and he’d come bouncing into the room grinning like the proverbial Cheshire cat! He’s still reserved around Flint though. Partly because of the whole ex-Slytherin thing, partly because Flint is very chummy with Malfoy and you know how that goes.

Flint is Flint. He’s still a complete bastard but I can’t think of anyone else I’d rather take than him into the World Cup. If you can put aside personal feelings to work with him I think you’ll be unstoppable.”

Katie took a deep breath and plastered on a friendly smile as she greeted her new teammates. Harry immediately came up to her and swung her up in a big hug. “Katie, I’m so glad we are going to playing together again.”

“Me too, Harry. You’ve always been my favourite Seeker to play alongside.”

Evans and Lovegood followed to shake her hand and welcome her to the team. Fawcett added his best wishes in a more reserved tone before they all moved off to assemble around Martin and his ever-present drill notes. Finally Katie was left facing Marcus Flint. What could only be described as a predatory grin spread over his face. “Well Beanpole, who would have thought – you’ve grown up,” his eyes tracked up the expanse of her legs before resting at the curves of her breasts, “and out. Beanpole doesn’t really fit anymore”.

Katie raised her hand in front of her breasts and flipped him off. “Flint, didn’t anyone tell you it’s impolite to gawk?”

“Merely admiring the view Bell, merely admiring the view.”

*****************************************************************

Katie was smiling as she packed away the last of her Quidditch gear. The practice had gone really well. Angelina’s estimation of her teammates had been spot on. As soon as the practice had started Flint stopped his casual flirting, transforming it into cold professionalism. Katie had been pleasantly surprised at how well she had played alongside him. After being on the receiving end of four years of aggressive match play when Gryffindor had faced Slytherin the last thing she was expecting was teamwork! In fact that was the first time the two of them had been up in the air without Flint attempting to push her off a broom. That wasn’t to say Marcus had made it easy for her; he had seemed determined to put her through her paces. However, Katie wasn’t about to back down from a challenge like that. It wasn’t just about proving to Flint she was good enough to be here, it was also about quieting that annoying internal voice left over from Hogwarts that constantly questioned her skill.

As she made her way through the door she noticed a few young witches already gathered around waiting for the other players to emerge. According to Angelina the groupies were roughly divided into a 50:50 split. Half of them were hoping to catch the eye of Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived and Finally Killed Voldemort , to take him home to Mum, with the other half hoping to catch the eye (and other body parts) of Flint, International Play Boy and Danger to Women’s Virtue Everywhere. Harry blushed and ignored the attention while Marcus Flint had a reputation for accepting what was on offer. Katie grinned to herself. She couldn’t really blame them. Harry was every mother’s dream son-in-law while Flint… Flint was certainly looking good these days. At school he had been all teeth and intimidation, but now … you actually got to look at the rest of him. Katie blushed as she remembered how much she had a chance to look at when he had wandered past in nothing more than a small towel. No, she couldn’t blame the groupies for hanging around at all. Katie pulled herself up abruptly, realising where her thoughts were leading her. Not going there, Kit Kat. Ever.

**************************************************************

Marcus Flint flooed into the London town house of Draco Malfoy and Virginia Weasley just after eight that evening. Draco had installed complex wards preventing Apparition into the house by anyone other than the two residents; even the floo system was limited. There were only two grates you could floo into the Malfoy house from – Draco’s office at work and the floo grate in Marcus’s own house. Draco might be considered paranoid, but then again, with the number of ex-Death Eaters still roaming around, maybe not. Marcus had a similar set of wards for the very same reason. Their refusal to support Voldemort, and in Draco’s case acting as a double agent for Dumbledore, had earned them both a lot of enemies. It was this shared experience during the war that had changed the two Slytherins from ex house mates to firm friends –and, two years ago, business partners.

Marcus made his way to the library and settled himself into his customary chair by the fireplace. He was as comfortable here as he was in his own home. Marcus was just taking a sip of Ogden’s Reserve Firewhisky when Draco entered the room.

“Make yourself at home,” he grumbled.

Marcus smirked in reply. “Don’t mind if I do.”

Draco poured himself a shot of the Firewhisky and looked over at his friend. “Can I take the absence of swearing and my possessions being tossed into the fire as an indication that you are no longer unhappy with the latest addition to the team?”

Marcus’s smirk spread into a wide grin, “Happy is one word for it. You neglected to mention in your description of her skills that she had turned into a complete knock out. There is no way I would have imagined she would have turned out so -”

“So what?”

“So hot! This campaign has just got a lot more fun.”

“Now Marcus, surely as a professional Quidditch player, the fact that your fellow team mate is gorgeous plays no part at all in your renewed enthusiasm.”

“Of course not,” Marcus grinned. “No part whatsoever. Where’s Virginia? I was hoping to pump her for information on the delectable Miss Bell.”

“I’m afraid you are out of luck tonight. Gin is at her parents’ house where the Weasleys have gathered en-masse to try and convince her to leave her life of sin and return to the family fold.”

“Ah. That would explain why you weren’t invited.”

“Yes, well. Gryffindor House generally has difficulty bad mouthing a person when they’re right there, although that has never stopped Ron. So they bring her over under the pretence of a family dinner ‘family members only Dear, I’m sure Draco will understand’, and then ambush her over the main course.”

There was a crash in the hallway quickly followed by an obscene curse. Draco and Marcus broke off their conversation and looked towards the door.

“It sounds as if the dinner was a bust.”

“Hmm,” Draco murmured absently, waiting for his girlfriend to come through the door. “Normally she lasts longer than this. Her brothers must have been in fine form tonight. Or possibly she’s finally snapped, killed them all and I am going to have to accompany her into hiding.” At that point a rather irate red head stormed through the doors clutching a large pudding basin to her chest.

“Stupid fucking idiotic…” Ginny Weasley broke off, noticing that there was more than one person lounging by the fire. “Hello Marcus, I’d forgotten you were coming over tonight.” She dumped the peach cobbler on the coffee table before plopping down onto Draco’s lap.

Draco gathered her close, feeling the tension in her body. He kept his voice light as he asked. “What was it this time love? The ‘You Don’t Know Him Like We Do’ argument, or the ‘Remember What His Father Did’ classic? Or was it my personal favourite of ‘He Is Just Using You To Get To Harry?’”

Ginny snorted, an unwilling smile tugging at her mouth. “No. They stopped using that one when I said I was using you for sex.”

Marcus snorted into his firewhisky, “I’m sure that went down well.”

“I think Bill and Charlie might have found it funny, but Ron went purple. I seriously thought he was going to burst something in his head.”

“So which one was it?” Draco asked again.

Ginny shook her head and nestled in closer. “They started complaining about the club and when I was going to come to my senses and accept a nice safe job at the Ministry? Can’t you see it? ‘Ginny Weasley, secretary extraordinaire!’”

“Personally I prefer Ginny Weasley, co-owner of the most successful club in Wizarding Britain. Has more of a ring to it,” Marcus commented.

Ginny grinned at him. “Thank you. Anyway after some nasty scenes I decided I had done enough in the name of family duty, nicked off with the pudding and Apparated home.”

“Speaking of which,” Marcus got to his feet, “I’ll go find some spoons.”

Draco waited until Marcus had left the room. “What else did they say Gin-Girl? You’re too upset for it just to have been about the Snake Pit.”

Ginny’s lower lip trembled slightly and said quietly, “Ron called me some pretty ugly things. I’ll tell you about them later.”

Draco tucked her more firmly under his chin and brushed a kiss across her temple. “I can wait.”

Marcus came back into the room bearing three spoons and a handful of napkins. “I decided plates sounded like too much hard work. Gather round.”

Laughing, Ginny and Draco hopped off the chair and joined him around the dessert.

“So did I interrupt guy talk or business talk?” Ginny asked after several mouthfuls.

“Mostly guy talk,” Marcus admitted. “Actually you might be able to help me. What’s the deal between Bell and Wood?”

Ginny looked up at him with a smirk. “My answer depends on why you are asking. Are you interested in the post Hogwarts life of your fellow graduates? Or are you trying to work out the potential obstacles to shagging Katie?”

“Would you believe the former?”

“Don’t be insulting Marcus, I was a Gryffindor, not a Hufflepuff.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure of the Hat’s decision if I were you Love. You are the most Slytherinish Gryffindor I have ever met. Even Severus has been heard to query why you weren’t in our House.”

“I think it is one of life’s great mysteries. For Merlin’s sake I had the ghost of a sixteen year old Voldemort traipsing through my head and the Sorting Hat still put me in Gryffindor. It was definitely having an off day. Marcus! Stop laughing at me and answer the question. Are you planning on shagging Katie?”

“Maybe” he admitted, “she’s certainly grown up over the last few years.”

“Not going to help then. If you decide you actually like her I’ll give you what I know, otherwise you’re on your own.”

“Will it help if I pout?” Marcus smiled ingratiatingly at her.

“Not at all. Draco only gets away with it because I’m blinded by love. If you try it I’ll just laugh at you.”

“How about answering the question on the basis that I’m trying to find out whether a fellow teammate has a conflict of interest?”

“I don’t believe you for an instant but you get points for an inventive excuse. To the best of my knowledge they’re just friends. They have known each other since they were little and are very protective of each other. No offence, Marcus, but you are asking her to go against a life time of conditioning to even consider you as anything other than a nasty, untrustworthy Slytherin.”

“Says the Weasley who has spent the last five years shagging a Malfoy.”

“He has a point love. But even so, Katie’s a good girl. I doubt very much she would indulge in casual sex. And if you do manage to seduce her for a casual fling, how is that going to affect the team when you break it off?”

“Fine I’ll ease off the seduction and get to know her first. Happy now?” Marcus grumbled.

“Very.” Ginny grinned in triumph. “Now stop sulking and pass the pudding.”

*****************************************************************

Later that night Draco gathered Ginny close to him and asked quietly, “Do you want to tell me about it?”

Ginny was quiet for a moment before beginning to speak. “The evening began fairly standard: polite impersonal comments about the weather and how the Quidditch season was going before they moved on to the personal stuff,” she broke off and Draco began to massage slow circles on her back, encouraging her to keep talking.

“They are really unhappy about me managing the Snake Pit. They are convinced it’s some den of iniquity full of sex, drugs and dark arts. I pointed out the club may be full of dedicated embroiderers for all they knew, they’ve never come to see what it’s really like. The two of us and Marcus have built up something I’m proud of and while I can ignore what the Prophet prints about us, I’d like to think my family could be proud of me too.” Ginny felt her throat tighten as she recounted the events of the evening.

“I think that your older brothers are proud of you. Bill and Charlie were certainly happy to see you at George and Alicia’s wedding,” Draco offered quietly. “The twins could probably be won over. It’s just Percy and Ron who reinforce your parents’ attitude.”

“It gets worse. Ron was going on and on about what supposedly happens at the club and I started getting angry and baiting him. I told him that vice has always paid well and we’re just giving the public what they want.” She broke off, crying. “He then said that the title of peddler would suit me well since I’ve been your whore all these years.”

Draco started swearing as he gathered her closer to him. “Your brother doesn’t know shit about us.”

“That’s what I told him – right after I hit with a right hook. I just grabbed the dessert and ran. After five years he finally got up the guts to tell me what he really thinks.”

“I love you Gin-Girl more than anything else in this world. It’s your family’s loss if they can’t see what a beautiful person you’ve grown into.”

“If it’s their loss, why does it hurt me so much?” Ginny replied quietly.

As Draco tilted her face up towards him for a kiss, he promised himself that he would do something unpleasant to Ron Weasley at the earliest opportunity.


End Chapter Two
Chapter Three by Slythhearted
See Chapter One for Disclaimer

******************************************************************

Katie and Oliver moved around each other in the kitchen in a well rehearsed dance. For the last five years they set aside one night a month to prepare a meal from scratch, muggle style. It had started out as a dare and quickly evolved into familiar ritual. Once they moved past the first few disasters and had replaced the burnt curtains and repainted the ceiling, they slipped into a comforting groove; Katie chose the food and Oliver supplied the wine, and the conversation flowed into the small hours of the night.

Oliver transported the last of the dishes to the sink and set them to washing up. Returning to the couch he chose his next words carefully. “I‘ve heard a rumour that Etienne has been seen several times in London recently.”

Katie met his gaze calmly. “I’d heard the same rumours. I have almost convinced myself that it doesn’t bother me.”

“If you had let me…” he began.

“He humiliated me, Oliver, and broke my heart, hardly a crime worthy of you spending several years in Azkaban,” Katie retorted.

“Maybe not, but that one punch I did land felt damn good.”

“I am sure it did. I had several fantasies revolving around me throwing the punch, then using a sharp blade, and sending several small boxes to his mistress. It’s a bit strange really, I went for so long thinking about him every day and it wasn’t till I heard he was back in town that I realised how long it had been since I had thought of what happened.”

“Does this mean you are okay with the thought of seeing him?”

“Can I tell you after I do?” she asked quietly.

“Fair enough,” Oliver replied. “How about instead, you tell me (in general terms only please) how you are finding training?”

“It still seems faintly surreal. One moment I’m going through various drills and the next it hits me that I am going to be representing England! I’m enjoying playing with Harry again. There’s a lightness to him that wasn’t there at school.”

“Well he doesn’t have hordes of evil wizards trying to kill him daily so that might account for it,” Oliver said, grinning.

“Very true,” Katie agreed. “It was just very easy to forget when we were at school that he was facing life and death on a regular basis. I like the fact he is getting to be a kid again, if somewhat belatedly.”

“Is Flint giving you any trouble?”

“Surprisingly, no, he’s not. I went along all prepared to have to battle him over everything and he has been, for lack of a better word – pleasant.”

“Pleasant? This is Marcus Flint we’re talking about?”

“Be nice,” she admonished. “I will admit to being surprised, but I am actually enjoying playing along side him. He’s not the same person we knew at Hogwarts.”

*********************************************************************

Marcus crouched over the miniature Quidditch pitch at the team’s headquarters, moving the three tiny Chasers around as he demonstrated his ideas to Katie and Michael Fawcett the third Chaser. Katie began to grin as his enthusiasm swept over them.

“If we bring Evans and Lovegood into a support position over here then that will free you up to…” she began.

“Exactly!” Marcus exclaimed, instantly understanding the manoeuvre. “And as long as we keep Michael between here and … here then we are covered on that side as well.”

“I’m sorry,” Katie apologised, turning her head towards the other Chaser. “We’re not letting you get a word in edgewise.”

“There is no need to apologise,” Michael said smiling at her. “Tell me what to do and I’ll do it but ask me to design a play and I am stumped.”

“Are you sure?” Marcus asked, looking up at him.

“I’m sure. Anyway, I really should be going. It’s my wife’s birthday tonight and I want to take her out to dinner.”

“Fair enough,” Marcus grinned. “I’ll bring you up to speed on Monday morning.”

The two of them went back to poking at the tiny Chasers and scribbling down notes on a roll of parchment. After another hour, Katie’s stomach grumbled loudly. Marcus looked up at her with a smirk.

“Something to add Bell?” he enquired.

“Shut it Flint, I’m hungry.”

Marcus looked at the clock at the wall which was now reading ‘Too late to be here – Go Home!’ He looked at Katie speculatively and asked her, “We’re on a roll here, do you want to continue this over food?”

“Why not.”

******************************************************************

“When you said food I wasn’t expecting you to prepare it yourself,” Katie commented as Marcus handed her a glass of red wine.

“I am slightly domesticated. Even I can manage pasta.” Marcus moved past her towards the dining room. “Grab the bread and follow me.”

Katie complied, sneaking peeks into the rooms they passed. She certainly hadn’t expected to see inside Marcus’s house and couldn’t restrain her curiosity at this opportunity.

After the meal Marcus led her into library and settled into the corner of his favourite couch. He tilted his head and looked over at Katie curled at the other end.

“You’re a bloody brilliant Quidditch player Katie, why haven’t you been playing in the English league?”

“That came out of nowhere,” she commented, pleased at his compliment.

“Not really. I have been meaning to ask for a while,” Marcus admitted.

Katie paused before replying. “The answer to that is rather personal. I’ll pass if that’s all the same to you.”

“Come on Bell,” Marcus smirked. “You can trust me.”

Katie shook her head. “I don’t think so.”

Marcus wasn’t sure why he was pushing the issue but recently he had found himself driven to learn as much as he could about Katie. Ginny had been rather vague on the subject and he wanted to know. “If you don’t tell me I am going to assume the worst like you fled the country to give birth to Percy Weasley’s illegitimate child!”

“God no!” Katie exclaimed laughing.

“Professor Flitwick’s then or perhaps Dumbledore himself,” Marcus persisted. “Come on Katie, where’s that vaunted Gryffindor courage?”

“You’re going to keep on harassing me aren’t you?” Katie looked at him in slight dismay.

“Hmmm I have made it a habit to go after the things I want in life.” Marcus paused and looked at her seriously. “I promise it doesn’t go out of this room.”

Katie returned his look. She was not opening herself up without more of a guarantee against future ridicule. “If you really want the answer I expect a comparable confession from you.”

Marcus laughed, “That is not very Gryffindor of you, Katie.”

“We’re not in school anymore, Marcus. McGonagall is not here to take points.”

“Touché. Fine, I agree to share something with you. Start talking Bell,” he ordered.

“Well, the Ministry finally admitted that You Know Who was back at the end of my seventh year. I had always planned on playing professionally but the increased tension made a lot of the teams wary about signing new players.”

Marcus nodded in agreement.

“Oliver had a word with a friend of his and I ended up being signed as a reserve to the Harpies. It was about that time that I fell head over heels in love for the first time. Despite all the uncertainty in the League and the Death Eater attacks, I was feeling very happy with my life.” Katie paused before speaking again. “You knew that my parents had died in the First War?”

When Marcus murmured in agreement she continued. “Well, my grandparents had raised me until I went to Hogwarts. They were all the family I had left.”

Marcus felt a cold sensation in his stomach. “Were?”

Katie drew a deep breath and fought to keep her voice dispassionate. If she kept telling herself it was in the past she might get through this without crying.

“They were in Hogsmeade on May 6th. They didn’t survive the battle.” May 6th had marked a mammoth battle as Death Eaters had tried to take the town as a staging point for the attack on Hogwarts.

“I had been visiting Oliver when I got the news and was just devastated. He escorted me to my home thinking that Etienne would help me through this. What we found was the little shit in bed with my neighbour. By this time I was in complete shock. Oliver hit him, bundled me up, and took me back to his place to grieve. He wanted to kill Etienne, but I wouldn’t let him. Not out of any lingering love for him, but Oliver was all the family I had left and I couldn’t lose him to Azkaban.” Katie worried a thread on her over robes as she tried to keep her composure. “It was a particularly ugly time in my life and I just wanted to get the hell away from England and everything that had happened. I ended up in Canada after drifting for a while and tried out for the Haileybury Hammers. The rest, as they say, is history.”

Marcus was silent as he worked through everything Katie had revealed. For once he found himself agreeing with Wood. Katie’s ex deserved everything that came to him.

Katie looked up from her hands and met his eyes, “Your turn, Marcus. Tell me something about you.”

Marcus drew a deep breath. After learning that her entire family had been wiped out by Death Eaters, he wasn’t sure how she would react to his story, but decided that anything was better than sitting there watching her when she was so upset.

“I left school at eighteen with firm offers from a couple of teams. I tossed up between Puddlemere and the Falcons and chose the latter when I heard that Wood had been signed to United. I just couldn’t see the two of us playing on the same team. It seemed … unnatural.” Marcus laughed as he caught the cushion Katie had launched at his head; she had obviously regained her composure. “As Voldemort began marshalling his power I came under increasing pressure from my family to take the Dark Mark.”

Katie’s eyes shot to his arm. Marcus intercepted the gaze and smiled at her, rolling up his sleeve to show his unmarked forearm. “I was doing something that I loved and I was damn good at it. Getting some ugly tattoo burnt into my arm to follow an insane dark lord who had been beaten by a baby was not high on my list of priorities. Unfortunately, my father had other plans. He wasn’t as high up in the Inner Circle as Lucius Malfoy but he did have a son of age. Bringing me into the ‘family business’ would have helped his movements up the ranks.

“My father decided that I needed a little encouragement, so he decided to torture my mother in front of me.” Marcus paused to take a few deep breaths before continuing. “He was too …enthusiastic… and she went into shock and died. I almost killed him, would have if Professor Snape hadn’t turned up. He’d heard a rumour about what had been planned and was trying to stop it. It was too late to save my mother, but he kept me out of Azkaban. He told me he would take care of everything for me. Within the next forty-eight hours I had buried my mother and my father died under somewhat mysterious circumstances.

“Did you …” Katie wasn’t quite sure how you asked someone if they had killed their father.

“No. Professor Snape said he would take care of everything and I never asked him how far he took that promise.”

“Do you have any family left?” Katie asked quietly

“I have Draco, Virginia and Professor Snape. That is all the family I need.”

“I understand. Oliver became my family after the attack on Hogsmeade. Blood is not as important as love.”

Marcus reached over and refilled her glass. “I’ll drink to that.”

********************************************************************

Katie woke up the next morning, her mind still reeling with what she had learnt about Marcus. Part of her was screaming for revealing her secrets to her school nemesis while the other part was relieved to have got it into the open. Whenever the subject had come up with her friends they all quickly leapt to her defence and rational discussion stopped.

Suddenly, she remembered the last part of the evening and almost choked on her tea. Merlin, she couldn’t believe that she had actually agreed to go out with him tonight! After she admitted that she had never been to the Snake Pit, Marcus had offered to personally show her around. Not a date, definitely not a date, Katie recited. Oh Merlin, it’s a date she thought frantically. I haven’t been on a date in over a year. For that less-than-memorable occasion she had called on the services of Alicia and Angelina (or more specifically their wardrobes) to get prepared. Katie wasn’t quite ready to tell the two Weasleys that she was seeing Marcus socially. Flustered, she grabbed a handful of powder and threw it into the fire.

“Raye wake up – it’s an emergency!” she yelled.

*******************************************************************

Katie smoothed her hands over her skirt trying to resist the urge to tug it lower. Her fellow Haileybury Hammers Chaser had insisted that a date – yes, it’s a date Katie – required something spectacular, and preferably miniscule. Katie had been adamant that she was not going to look like one of those muggle women who stood on street corners, but Raye had been equally adamant that she was not going to look like anyone’s maiden aunt! She had been very vocal on the subject actually. Katie did own nice robes, but one of the quirks of the Snake Pit dress code required its patrons to wear muggle clothing. Her supply of jeans and shorts just weren’t up to the job. They had compromised over a tan leather skirt and tiny black, strappy top. Strapped black heels completed the outfit.

Marcus knocked on Katie’s door, absently running his hands through his hair. He was unaccountably nervous over taking Katie to the club. He had invested a lot of himself into the Snake Pit and he wanted her to like it. He looked up as the door opened and broke into a smile. Katie’s legs seemed to go up forever and as she turned to grab her wand, Marcus grinned at the way the leather pulled across her butt.

“Shall we go?” he said.

End Chapter Three.
Chapter Four by Slythhearted
See Chapter One for disclaimer

**************************************************************

Katie kept close to Marcus as they made their way through the crowds outside the Snake Pit. From what Angelina and Alicia had told her the crowds were pretty standard for a Saturday night. The night club had burst onto the scene two years ago and its popularity had snowballed, quickly building a world-wide reputation as the place to be seen. Extended opening hours allowed for an international clientele and wizards would Apparate in from all over the world to party to their respective dawns. Marcus had been particularly pleased at securing the lease on the club’s current premises. The entrance to the club stood at the corner of Diagon and Knockturn Alleys, effectively straddling the boundary between respectable and forbidden. Admittedly the crowds of muggle clothes looking decidedly out of place amongst the wizarding establishments. The dress code had been one of Ginny’s ideas; purebloods got to play at something new, while muggleborns relished the chance of blending their two worlds. The decision had proved to be popular, especially when the patrons realised how far muggle clothing pushed the envelope of respectability.

Katie didn’t object when Marcus took her hand and led her past the crowd. He nodded to the bouncer who drew aside the velvet rope, and they made their way down the dark stairs. Marcus was looking forward to Katie’s reaction to the club. The creation of the Snake Pit had been a labour of love from its first inception three years ago. It had been Draco’s first year out of Hogwarts and he had been missing Ginny like crazy. He had been slowly driving Marcus crazy with his pining and in a fit of desperation Marcus had taken Draco into muggle London to distract him. It had proved to be a perfect distraction. He had been fascinated by the muggle nightclubs with their pounding music and packed dance floors. Draco had fired off an owl that night to Ginny making plans to smuggle her up to experience this phenomenon first hand. The first plans for the Snake Pit were drawn up the next weekend as the three of them crowded around a table in a late night café. They had decided on an underlying Slytherin feel to the decoration scheme with green and silver being the predominant colours. Multiple levels were installed with special sound isolating spells employed to keep the areas separate.

Marcus paused on one of the sweeping staircases to give Katie a better view of the club.

“This is magnificent, Marcus. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

“Thank you, Katie. We worked really hard to make it a success,” Marcus replied.

One of the waiting staff caught Marcus’s eye and came over to take their order.

“Do you want something to drink?” Marcus asked her politely.

Katie smiled up at him. “I’ll have whatever you’re having,” she answered recklessly.

Marcus raised his eyebrows slightly and placed their order. When the two shots of Ogden’s Reserve turned he handed one to her with a speculative grin, “Ladies first.”

Katie took up her drink and knocked it back with a slight gasp, “That certainly has a … kick to it.”

Marcus laughed and followed her lead downing his drink in a single movement.

A glimpse of red and white below them caught Katie’s eyes. In the middle of the dance floor Draco and Ginny were intertwined dancing as if they were the only people in the room. Ginny had her back to Draco with her leather clad butt grinding into him, his face was buried in her neck as they moved in unison to the music. Marcus followed the direction of her gaze. He bent his head to her ear and murmured, “They give each other a couple of hours a night just to play. No point having a dance club if you can’t enjoy it.”

“What about you, Marcus? When do you get to enjoy it?”

Marcus grinned down at her and drew her down onto the dance floor. “I’m enjoying it right now.”

They danced for a while before the waiter appeared with another two drinks. Katie looked up with an amused smile on her face. “Mr Flint, are you trying to get me drunk?” she enquired.

Marcus drew a finger down her arm and smirked, “Not at all Ms Bell. I want you in full command of your facilities tonight.”

Katie felt the slight buzz as the alcohol entered her bloodstream and pushing all responsible thoughts aside she twined her arms up around Marcus’s neck.

“Well I guess that’s all right then.”

Marcus grinned down at her putting his hands on her hips to bring her even closer. Katie felt her breathing speed up as his body began to move against hers.

*******************************************************************

Draco was sitting at his desk when Ginny entered the office. She pulled his chair out and straddled his lap. Placing kisses along the line of his jaw she murmured, “Guess what I just saw?”

Draco groaned as she nibbled at the lobe of his ear. “Hundreds of satisfied customers?”

“Something new,” she scolded. “I see that every night.”

Draco turned his head and captured her mouth, his tongue flicking at her lips.

Ginny broke the kiss reluctantly. “Hmm that feels too good. Come and see before I forget what it was I wanted to show you.”

Draco followed her over to the large window that overlooked the dance floor. “They’re over to the left,” Ginny directed him.

“My. My. Ms Bell certainly doesn’t seem to be objecting to the company.”

“No, indeed she does not.” Ginny laughed, “If Marcus got any closer he’d be wearing her.”

“Now it doesn’t seem fair that he has all the fun now does it?” Draco asked huskily moving back to the desk chair.

Ginny giggled, sweeping aside the parchments on the desk

*******************************************************************

Marcus felt Katie stiffen in his arms and followed her gaze to a couple dancing near to them. A voluptuous brunette was draped around one of the French International players. He wasn’t sure what it was about the couple that was upsetting Katie but decided to get her away from them. Marcus angled his head so his mouth brushed Katie’s ear.

“Do you want to see some more of the club?” he murmured.

Katie looked at him in gratitude and nodded her assent. Marcus again took her hand as he led them away from the dance floor and through a silver inlaid door by the stairs. The noise of the dance floor abruptly disappeared as the customised charms around the door frame activated, blocking the music from the dance floor. Dark green couches were scattered around the room while high backed booths hugged the walls.

Katie grinned, “This is what I imagined the Slytherin common room to look like.”

“Pretty close, but this is a lot warmer and less damp.”

They settled into a booth in the corner and Marcus activated the privacy charm enabling them to talk without any risk of eavesdroppers. Katie had moved to sit beside him without thinking. She was so used to cuddling with Oliver on the couch that she hadn’t thought before nestling in beside Marcus. She started to sit up when she realised what she was doing but Marcus draped an arm around her shoulder holding her close. Katie relaxed against him enjoying the warmth under her cheek.

After a few minutes of silence, Marcus ventured, “Do you want to tell me what upset you on the dance floor?”

Katie tilted her head up at him and smiled. “Not upset, so much as caught me off guard. Did you see the couple near us?” she asked.

Marcus nodded his assent. “The French Quidditch player and bimbo?” Suddenly the pieces fell into place. “Etienne?”

“Yes. I did a spot of emotional time travelling there for a moment. But I’m fine now.”

Marcus brushed a tendril of hair behind her ear, his fingers lingering. “Are you sure?”

“I’m sure,” she promised.

“Do you still love him?” Marcus found himself asking.

“No, and I haven’t for a long time.” Katie smiled gently. “He was just very good at making me doubt myself. Seeing him unexpectedly brought it all back.”

Marcus brushed the back of his hand across her cheek. “One can only suppose that he has been hit by one too many Bludgers in his career,” Marcus mused, a thoughtful expression on his face.

Katie started laughing, Marcus’s tone jolting her out of her funk. “What on earth are you going on about Marcus?”

“Well brain damage is the only excuse I can come up with for letting you go.”

“His loss,” Katie giggled.

Marcus moved his shoulder slightly so he could tilt her face up to his. He brushed his lips across hers gently. “My gain?” he questioned.

“Your gain,” Katie replied before deepening the kiss.

******************************************************************

Katie stared at herself in the mirror in the ladies’ bathroom as she cast a refreshing charm over her makeup and hair. Even Raye’s talent at makeup charms needed a little help after the heat of the dance floor. Blue eyes stared back at her as she tried to make up her mind. Her intention at the start of the evening was clear: come, have a good time, and excuse herself before leaving at a reasonable hour. Now after several heated kisses with Marcus both on and off the dance floor she had to admit to herself that she had changed her mind. She wanted to go soon but she didn’t want to go home alone. Unfortunately her experiences as the seducer were pretty much non existent. Etienne had been the pursuer and she the very naïve prey. Now, when she wanted to be all assertive and grab Marcus by the front of his shirt and drag him home she wasn’t entirely sure how to go about it. Katie grinned to herself. Although she was pretty sure he would get the message if she actually tried that. Squaring her shoulders she exited the bathroom and went to rejoin Marcus.

Marcus had been waiting impatiently for Katie to return. He was fighting a losing battle with himself. After preaching to himself to take this slow, her reaction to his kisses was playing havoc with his good intentions. He wanted nothing more than to drag her off somewhere, get naked and then stay that way for a very long time. Katie suddenly appeared at his side and pushing all good intentions aside he drew her closer for a drugging kiss.

Katie moaned into his mouth. “We should probably stop this before someone lodges a complaint with management,” she managed.

“Marcus grinned, “I can guarantee management won’t be sympathetic to the complaint.” He moved his lips to her neck; seeking and finding the spot between her neck and shoulder that had Katie’s legs buckling slightly. Supporting the bulk of her weight against his arm he spoke into her ear, “I take you point, however. Do you want to go somewhere slightly more private?” Say yes, say yes he repeated silently.

Katie dropped her eyes and bit her lip slightly. “Yes.”

Marcus tried not to sag in relief. “Hold on tight,” he ordered gently before Apparating them to his library. He moved until he was sitting in the same couch they had been in the night before. Katie straddled his legs as she wrapped her arms around Marcus’s neck to tangle his hair. Marcus grinned in appreciation as this new position pushed the leather of her skirt even higher. He traced the lines of her thighs until his fingers skimmed the very tops of her legs. Katie shifted restlessly in anticipation. A deep ache had started between her legs and she unconsciously rubbed against the hardness below her.

Pushing herself back from his chest Katie sat back on Marcus’s legs, his hands moving to her hips in support. With an expression of deep concentration on her face she unbuttoned his shirt pushing it off his shoulders. As she traced the outline of his tattoo Marcus promised, “I’ll tell you about it later.” Once he had helped her divest him of his shirt he turned his attention to Katie’s top. Hooking his hands in the hem he pulled it over her head leaving her breasts bare to his sight and very quickly, his touch.

Katie began to hum in appreciation as Marcus lavished attention on her breasts. Her hands were in constant motion, alternatively clutching him closer and tracing lines on his shoulders and back. She clutched at him as he abruptly stood up, teetering slightly on her unsteady legs. Marcus moved his hands around to the back of her waist and pulled down the zipper. He gently guided the leather skirt over her legs and down to the floor. Standing in strappy heels and only wearing a pair of tiny black underwear Katie fought to keep upright as Marcus kissed his way back up her body. He pressed his lips to the black lace and murmured, “Soon.”

As Marcus stood up Katie tugged at his belt. “One of us is overdressed for the occasion,” she scolded.

Marcus obligingly toed off his shoes as she went to work on the buckle. When she had unfastened it he kicked off his trousers.

“Much better,” she breathed, running her hands over his body in admiration.

Marcus swung Katie up into his arms, laughing at her shriek of surprise. “I never did give you a proper tour of the house. How about we start in the bedroom and work our way around from there?”

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Katie agreed, twining her arms around his neck.

End Chapter 4
Chapter Five by Slythhearted
See Chapter One for the disclaimer

******************************************************************

Marcus woke during the night, enjoying the sensation of Katie tucked into his side. He carefully extracted his arm from underneath her and winced slightly as blood flow was suddenly restored. Marcus smoothed her hair back from her face and brushed the pad of his thumb across her mouth. He couldn’t believe how happy she made him. Sure, he had countless physical relationships before but he had never felt inclination to be with the ‘girl of the week’ outside the bedroom. With Katie it was different; he couldn’t seem to get enough of her. Not just the sex, but the pleasure he got just in being in her company. She was as Quidditch mad as he was and they could debate for hours on the various merits of the sport, what the Ministry was up to, or his plans for the club. However, they had studiously avoided the subject of a future past the World Cup. Marcus knew he didn’t want to let her out of his life but he wasn’t sure what Katie wanted out of this. He knew that she had yet to tell her friends about them and that omission bothered him more than he would care to admit.

******************************************************************

Ginny tucked the reduced books into her pockets with a smile as she exited Flourish and Botts. She had ordered in an antique potions text as a thank you gift for Severus Snape. She had been flooing into Hogwarts multiple times a week working with the Potions Professor on the new expansion to the Snake Pit. She was pitching the idea to Draco and Marcus later tonight but whatever the decision she owed him her thanks. The smile dropped off her face when she came face to face with her brother.

“Ron,” she said coldly

“Ginny.”

“If you’ll excuse me…” Ginny tried to move past Ron. She was still slightly raw from their last encounter and the last thing she wanted was a repeat in the middle of Diagon Alley.

“Are you leaving? Just like that?” Ron asked surprised.

“Yes Ron, as you can see, if you release my arm, I am indeed leaving.”

“What the hell is up with you?”

“Look, you made your opinion of me fairly clear the last time we met. Forgive me if I don’t want a repeat of that conversation here. Don’t get me wrong a little notoriety won’t hurt my business, but it isn’t going to please Dad if the Prophet’s headline tomorrow is ‘Minister’s children in public row.’”

Ron suddenly looked awkward. “Ginny, I’m just trying to protect you,” he began.

“Forget it, Ron. I have,” she lied. “Now let me past.”

Ron let go of her arm and watched Ginny hurry down the street a slightly hurt expression on his face.

Ginny nearly barrelled over Katie exiting Quality Quidditch Supplies. “I’m so sorry Katie,” she apologised. “I wasn’t paying attention.”

“Not a problem Ginny,” Katie laughed. “I wasn’t watching where I was going either.” Katie took a closer look at the tightness around Ginny’s eyes. “Are you okay? You look a little upset.”

“I’ve been better,” Ginny admitted. “I was about to go home and bury my sorrows in a triple chocolate sundae. Want to come with me and stop me from having second helpings?”

Katie laughed, “As long as you promise to do the same for me.”

******************************************************************

Marcus and Draco entered Worthington Jewels at the upper end of Diagon Alley. Draco had retrieved the ancestral Malfoy ring from the family vault earlier that morning and was taking it to the Master Jewellers to be reset. He reached into his pocket and withdrew the heavy ring from the velvet carry pouch.

“Wow Draco, that ring is really...”

“Hideous?” Draco asked.

“Well I was going to say ostentatious,” Marcus laughed “but hideous works just as well.”

Draco looked distastefully at the heavy emerald and diamond ring. “It is the height of bad taste. You need a lightening charm just to lift your hand when you have it on.”

“What are you planning to do with it?”

“While my first inclination was to hock it and use the proceeds to clear some small Pacific nation’s foreign debt,” Draco mused, “but I have found myself plagued with familial guilt. It is the traditional engagement ring so Worthington is going to have a look at it and see what he can do with the monstrosity. His great great grandfather or something created the original. However, I don’t think we should hold that against him”

Augustus Worthington escorted Draco and Marcus into the private consulting room at the back of the shop.

“Mr Malfoy, Mr Flint, how can I be of assistance to you today?” the elderly jeweller began.

Draco handed over the ring.

“Ah yes. I remember this one. Designed to your ancestor’s specification if I remember rightly.”

Marcus covered his smile with his hand. “Definitely can’t hold the design against them,” he said quietly.

Draco waved his hand irritably in Marcus’s direction. “Mr Worthington, I was hoping you could reset the stones into something more classical. Perhaps using the remaining stones in a set of earrings.”

“Or a tiara. There’ll be enough left over of them,” Marcus baited.

Draco scowled at him irritably. “You are supposed to be helping.”

The old man picked up his quill and began to sketch. “Perhaps if we use this emerald as the centre and flank it with these baguette diamonds.” He touched his wand to the sketch and the ring rose up in a three dimensional image.

“Hmm that’s much more like it. Can you change the gold to platinum?”

A quick incantation later and the design was finished.

Marcus started laughing, “That is the most Slytherinish ring I have ever seen.”

“Exactly. It’ll suit her perfectly” Draco enthused. “I’ll leave the ring with you Mr Worthington and I’ll pick it up, say early next week?”

“That will be fine Mr Malfoy. Do you wish me to draw up designs for the remaining stones?”

“Disregard Marcus’s comments about a tiara, but see what else you can come up with. I’ll review them when I pick up the ring,” Draco instructed.

“Certainly, Mr Malfoy.”


********************************************************************

Katie giggled as Ginny cleared away the remains on their chocolate-fest. It had been a bit of a shock to realise that the littlest Weasley was all grown up now. Katie had always enjoyed talking with her during her frequent visits to the Burrow while they were both in school, but it was refreshing to talk to her as an adult and not as the twins’ prodigal younger sister. It was obvious that Ginny was devoted to Draco and very fond of Marcus. Photos of the three of them were scattered around the kitchen. The black and white figure of Draco kept nuzzling Ginny’s neck while she laughed. In the photo, Marcus alternated between mocking them and waving at Katie whenever she caught his eye.

“Now that I am feeling better,” Ginny declared, “I can get on with the business at hand.”

“And what business is that Miss Weasley?”

“Why the business of what you and Marcus have been up to.”

Katie blushed bright red at Ginny’s knowing grin.

“What, you think we wouldn’t notice his frequent absences and silly grin?” Ginny teased. “Draco and I have hardly seen him at all and when we do it is ‘Katie this’ and ‘Katie that.’”

“Stop that,” Katie giggled “you’re exaggerating.”

“Not by much. Seriously though, Marcus hasn’t been particularly forthcoming so I am relying on you to give me all the juicy details.”

Katie looked up at Ginny and her face was full of wonder. “I haven’t ever felt this way. I thought I had been in love once before but it was nothing,” she emphasised, “like what I feel now.” It was such a relief to admit her feelings to someone who knew both of them and could understand the potential for disaster in the relationship.

“Have you told Oliver about the two of you?”

Katie dropped her eyes. “No,” she admitted. “Everything feels so new and wonderful that I wanted to keep it too myself for a while longer.”

Ginny was suddenly serious, her joking tone completely gone. “Of course you do. But here’s some free advice. You will have to deal with the issue of your family at some time and things will go a lot worse if they hear it second hand.”

Katie raised her eyes back to Ginny. “Is that what happened to you?”

“Harry and Hermione saw us together and decided to protect me from Draco. They spoke to Ron and then, well let’s say everything fell apart at that point.”

Katie winced slightly in sympathy. “I remember how the two of them were in school. I can’t see how he would have been happy at the news.”

“He was furious. He was convinced that Draco must have had me under the Imperious or been blackmailing me into being with him. He couldn’t understand that this was something I wanted. He actually forbade me to see him and when that didn’t work he contacted Mum and Dad.” Ginny’s face was set as she remembered that particular scene.

“Don’t take this the wrong way Ginny, but I would have been equally suspicious. I can’t imagine how the two of you ever got together. Malfoys and Weasleys have never willing remained in the same room as each other and suddenly the two of you were in love?”

“Partly love, partly raging teenage lust,” Ginny admitted. “I think the whole family issue made it that much more exciting. But in amongst the frantic snogging we talked. I got to learn something about the man he was growing into and I liked what I saw.”

“What changed? When I left England Draco was a poster boy for the next generation of Death Eaters. The next thing I hear, he is being commended by Dumbledore for services to the Light.”

“It was a combination of things. Courtesy of my first year I had access to information about Tom Riddle that his followers liked to gloss over. It was enough to make him start thinking at least, and not just blindly parrot Lucius’s propaganda. What finally sealed it for him was learning that Snape was a double agent. He trusted his godfather more than his father to do what was right.”

“What happened then?” Katie was fascinated by Ginny’s story. Fred and George had never mentioned any of this to her.

“Professor Snape’s role was compromised and he was confined to Hogwarts for his safety. Draco was able to feed information back to Dumbledore and the Order in his place.”

“Did he…?” Katie began delicately.

“Take the mark? No. His initiation was scheduled for his eighteenth birthday. Harry finally got his act together and killed Riddle before that happened. I stupidly thought that would make things better with my family but I underestimated how much they hated the Malfoy name. We battled throughout my seventh year and finally on my eighteenth birthday I moved in here. Not quite the birthday party my family had planned.”

“Is that when the three of you got the tattoos?” Katie asked.

“Ah you’ve seen his then.” Ginny grinned at Katie’s sudden blush. “It was a mixture of a desire to demonstrate our solidarity to the life we had chosen, and a visible symbol of my independence. Needless to say mine is considerably smaller and less visible than either Draco’s or Marcus’s.”

“Do you mind if I ask what you got?”

“Not at all, Draco has a snake encircling his right bicep and I have a snake wrapped around a heart at the base of my spine. My kind of visible statement – no one has to see it unless I want them to.”

*******************************************************************

Marcus let himself into Katie’s flat dumping his coat over the back of the couch. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the bracelet he had purchased earlier while he was with Draco at Worthingtons. They had just been about to leave when a display of charm bracelets had caught his eye. The delicate chain had a selection solid gold Quaffles, Bludgers, Snitches and broomsticks charms that jingled quietly as they moved.

“Katie?” he called.

“In here,” she replied from the bedroom.

Marcus grinned and quickened his pace as he headed towards her voice.

Wrapping her arms around him as soon as he entered the bedroom, Katie inhaled the scent of his neck. “I missed you,” she breathed, as she began to unbutton his shirt.

Marcus felt his breath hitch as her hands dipped into his pants to caress the skin just above the top of his boxers. He stopped breathing completely when her hand slipped under the elastic to cup him.

“Did you miss me too?” Katie teased as she began to kiss her way down his chest.

“Mmhmm,” Marcus started to answer her but all rational thought left his head as Katie’s mouth replaced her hand.

Katie removed her mouth slowly and looked up at him grinning in triumph. She adored reducing the normally articulate and self controlled Marcus to putty. “Because if you did, miss me that is, I think you should prove how much.”

Marcus growled at her before yanking her up and over his shoulder, ignoring Katie’s hysterical giggles to dump her unceremoniously on the bed. Following her down, he nipped at her throat. “I’ll give you proof,” he promised.

*********************************************************************

Katie stretched languorously before easing herself out of bed ignoring the slight soreness between her legs. Marcus muttered something before grabbing onto her pillow and going back to sleep. Katie gave herself a moment just to watch him sleep, blushing slightly as she remembered how conclusive his “proof” had been. He had erupted into her nice ordered life and turned everything upside down, and Katie loved it. After their first time together she had confessed that she had never thought herself as overtly sexual. Etienne had been a very selfish lover and based on that limited experience she had had no idea that she could enjoy sex as much as she was. Marcus had taken her admission as a kind of personal challenge and these last weeks he had delighted in showing her exactly what her body was capable of.

Katie grabbed Marcus’s shirt and slipped it on before going into the kitchen to make herself some tea. A pop from the living area announced that someone had just Apparated into her home. Grabbing her wand just in case, Katie moved to see who was visiting her so early in the morning.

“Oliver?” she asked, slightly panicked. “What are you doing here?”

End Chapter Five
Chapter Six by Slythhearted
See Chapter One for disclaimer

*********************************************************************

“Oliver?” Katie asked somewhat frantically. “What are you doing here?

“I haven’t heard from my best friend in ages,” Oliver smiled at her. “So I decided to arrive on your doorstep, or lounge if you want to be picky, and take you out for breakfast.”

He stopped and took in her appearance from tousled bed head, the obviously male shirt slipping off her shoulders and her bare feet. “Have you been keeping secrets, Katie?” he grinned.

She twisted her hands nervously. “Ah, it’s not necessarily what it looks like,” Katie began desperately.

“Now, now Katie. No need to be shy. Just let me know who is the lucky recipient of the patented ‘Hurt my best friend and I have a sharp wand and a stout shovel’ speech. And I’ll pop back later when the two of you are decent.”

Katie started to sag in relief until she heard Marcus’s voice calling for her from the bedroom.

The puzzlement on Oliver’s face only lasted a moment until he placed the voice. “Flint? You’re shagging Marcus Flint! What the hell are you thinking?”

Marcus swore as he heard Oliver’s raised voice; Scottish Git always did have the worst possible timing. Marcus grabbed his boxers and reached for his trousers before hesitating. It was petty he knew, but he was going to make it quite clear to Wood what he and Katie had been doing together. Padding barefoot into the lounge he felt a stab of purely masculine pleasure at the sight of Katie wearing nothing but his shirt. He moved over to casually press a kiss on her temple.

Katie winced at Oliver’s growl of displeasure. “Good morning, Marcus,” she said quietly. “Oliver and I need to discuss a few things. Do you mind giving us some time alone?” Although Katie had managed to keep her tone even, her eyes were pleading with him to agree.

Marcus flicked his eyes between Oliver and Katie briefly. “I need to grab some more clothes form home anyway. I’ll be back in about an hour.”

Oliver kept silent until Marcus had Disapperated. Disbelief was warring with hurt as he turned to Katie. “What the hell are you thinking? You can’t seriously be interested in him!”

Katie flinched slightly, “I don’t do casual sex, you know that.”

“Well you picked a fine time to start.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” she asked, stung by the implication.

“Sorry to keep stating the obvious, but you’re sleeping with Marcus bloody Flint.” Oliver’s voice rose with each word.

“Fine. I’m sleeping with Marcus. Up until you found at who it was, you thought it was a great joke. If I don’t have any problems with Marcus, why should you?”

“Because you should have a problem with him!” he yelled back. “Putting aside any personal disagreements Flint and I have had, let’s cast our minds back on how he has treated you, shall we?

“Marcus Flint, Slytherin Captain for five years, responsible for the dirtiest play we encountered at school. The same person who tormented you for five years including I believe one memorable occasion when he froze you to the ground and charmed beanstalks to grow up your legs until I found you to take the spell off.”

“Merlin, Oliver! You promised me you wouldn’t ever bring that up,” Katie gasped.

Oliver looked slightly ashamed. “I’m sorry, but that doesn’t change what he did to you. I can’t understand how you can even stand to be near him.”

Katie drew herself up and looked him in the eye. “Oliver, am I the same person I was at Hogwarts?”

“You’re still my Kit Kat,” he replied.

“But am I the same person who let herself be turned into the human Beanpole?”

“No,” he admitted. “You’re a lot stronger than you used to be.”

“Exactly. I’m not the same person and neither is he. He’s changed Oliver, and I like who he has turned into”

Oliver dragged his hand through his hair in frustration. “I have known you since you were four years old. You’re like my little sister and best friend all rolled into one package. I won’t sit back and see you get hurt again.”

“This won’t be like Etienne, I promise.”

“How can you be sure? They’re both play boys who go through women like ...”

Katie cut him off, “Because this time I am going into this with my eyes wide open. I am not expecting forever with Marcus, but I do plan on enjoying the time I spend with him.” She privately admitted that what she had told Oliver wasn’t entirely true. She may not expect forever, but she was wanting it more and more every day. Katie moved over to hug Oliver but he moved out of her grasp.

“I’m not okay with this Katie. I think you are making a monumental mistake.”

“It’s still my mistake to make,” she stated in a firm tone.


*******************************************************************


Marcus retuned to Katie’s flat to find her curled up in the window seat clutching her commemorative Gryffindor lion. Crouching down in front of her, he spoke quietly, “Hey.”

“Hey yourself,” came the muffled reply.

Marcus watched her silently for a moment before sitting down beside her in the window seat, picking Katie up, he settled her onto his lap. Katie stiffened slightly before burrowing into his chest.

“I don’t like fighting with Oliver,” she finally said.

Deciding that any response could be interpreted as biased, Marcus contented himself with smoothing her hair down her back.

“Ginny was right,” Katie said next.

“It is one of her more infuriating characteristics,” Marcus offered.

Katie rewarded him with a half smile. “I should have told him from the beginning. Oliver feels betrayed that I didn’t tell him before this. I never wanted to hurt him, I just,” Katie broke off at a loss to explain her reasoning. “I should tell the girls today. I don’t want them to hear it from Oliver first.”

Marcus stood up, keeping Katie cradled in his arms. “How about I run the shower for you?”

“Thank you.”

While Katie was in the shower Marcus retrieved the charm bracelet from where he had dropped it last night. When Katie exited the bathroom she found him sitting on her bed turning it over in his hands.

Marcus looked up with a small smile. “I brought this yesterday but hadn’t had a chance to give it to you yet,” he explained.

“Marcus, it’s beautiful,” Katie exclaimed. “But you didn’t need to buy me a gift.”

“I know I didn’t need to. I was out with Draco when I saw it. I liked it, decided I would like it more on you, so brought it. Simple as that.” Marcus reached over and grasped her hand gently to fasten the chain around her wrist. “See I was right,” he grinned engagingly, “it does look better on you.”

Katie reached over and brushed a soft kiss at his temple. This was the Marcus she had fell in love with. No matter what unpleasantness she had to go through with her friends she wasn’t going to give up on this.

********************************************************************

After checking that Fred and George were indeed at WWW Headquarters for the day, Katie Apparated to their sprawling home. Letting herself in the front door she called out for Angelina and Alicia. Following the noise she finally located them in the kitchen.

“What on earth have you two been doing?” she asked between giggles, staring at the flour-covered witches.

Angelina looked at the giggling Katie in annoyance. “Apparently trying to replicate Molly’s cobbler recipe with one of the fake wands was a bad idea.”

“It could have been worse, Fred and George could have been home and then we would have never lived it down,” Alicia sighed. “What brings you to the madhouse Kit Kat? We haven’t seen you in ages.”

Katie grinned at her friends, trying to hide her nervousness. “Well it has been a while. I thought I’d fill you in on what I’ve been up to.”

********************************************************************

Making his way down Diagon Alley Draco found his way blocked by three angry redheads. Sighing, he mentally braced himself for dealing with his least favourite Weasley.

“Ron. Fred. George. What brings you out on this fine morning?” See, this being pleasant business wasn’t too hard.

“Cut the crap Malfoy. What have you done to our sister?” Ron growled.

Okay perhaps not. “I don’t know what the hell you are going on about Ronald. I haven’t done anything to Virginia,” Draco said coldly.

“You must have done something. I saw her yesterday and she didn’t want to even talk to me,” Ron blustered. Fred and George remained silent, standing slightly behind their brother in support.

Draco fought to keep his temper in check. “Well that can hardly be considered surprising.”

Ron started to turn red at the insinuation. “Listen Ferret. Something has happened if Ginny doesn’t even want to see her own brothers.”

“No you listen, Weasel. I am not at all surprised that she doesn’t want to talk to you. You constantly belittle what she has chosen to do with her life. None of you have even been inside the club yet still feel as if you have the moral authority to sit in judgement of us. And let us not forget that at your last little family get together Ron, you managed to call her both a panderer and a whore. So if you’re looking for someone to blame, try looking closer to home!” Draco snarled.

Fred and George started at that. From the look they exchanged Draco was guessing that they hadn’t been privy to that conversation. That was something at least.

“If you would excuse me, I have a business to attend to.”

George reached out a hand and grabbed a hold of Ron’s robe when he started after Draco. As he stalked away from Ginny’s brothers he heard George ask, “Ronnikins is there anything else you have forgotten to tell us?”

*********************************************************************

The now flour-free Mrs Weasleys settled down in the lounge and fixed determined pairs of eyes on their wayward friend.

“Spill, Kit Kat,” Angelina ordered.

Alicia laughed at the slightly hunted expression on Katie’s face and took pity on her. “I imagine training has been very hectic.”

Katie looked at her in gratitude. “Yes. Yes it has. Martin is reaching new levels of fanaticism. Even Harry isn’t smiling as much as he used to.” She glanced down and started playing with her charm bracelet trying to decide how to bring Marcus into the conversation.

Alicia followed her movements. “That’s lovely. I don’t think I’ve seen it before.”

Angelina raced over and picked up Katie’s wrist. “Very nice indeed. Good on you for spoiling yourself.”

Katie drew in a deep breath, “Actually it was a gift from Marcus.”

“Flint!” Angelina choked out.

“We’ve been seeing each other. It’s,” Katie paused and amended her statement slightly, “He’s been good for me.”

“But Katie, this is Marcus Flint we’re talking about. You hated him for years!” Alicia didn’t sound angry just confused.

“Did hate him Alicia, past tense only. I had this conversation with Ollie this morning. It’s not fair to judge him on what he was like at school. He’s not the same person.”

“I take it Oliver knows then,” Alicia said quietly.

“He dropped in unexpectedly this morning and Marcus was there - it wasn’t pretty. I had planned on telling you soon I promise; I just had to speed up the plan.”

After her initial exclamation, Angelina had been very quiet. “Angie what are you thinking?” Katie asked worriedly.

“I honestly don’t know Kit Kat. I know him better than Alicia does and he is as arrogant as he ever was, but I don’t think he is as evil as we made him out to be at school. On the other hand,” Angelina tied to phrase the next part delicately, “he does have a fairly well deserved reputation as a play boy. I don’t want to see you get hurt again.”

“Trust me when I say I don’t want to get hurt either,” Katie said wryly.

“How long has it been going on?”

“A few weeks now.” At their hurt expressions Katie hurried to explain, “I know I should have told you before I just wasn’t ready to explain my reasoning when I didn’t know what was going on. I had a long talk with Ginny yesterday and she pointed out that the longer I left it the more betrayed you would feel.”

“She’s a smart woman”

“Yes she is. She told me what happened between her and Draco so I wouldn’t make the same mistakes.

Angelina and Alicia looked slightly uncomfortable at the mention of Ginny’s relationship. Katie narrowed her eyes at them. “You can’t honestly agree with the situation she’s in with her family,” she asked in disbelief.

“Of course we don’t, but we’re in a difficult situation here,” Angelina explained. “I don’t want to side with my sister in law over my husband.” Alicia nodded in agreement.

“Even when they are being incredibly stupid?”

“It makes it harder, but I don’t want to go up against the whole family.”

“What on earth are they trying to accomplish by treating her like this?” Katie asked bewildered.

“I think they are hoping that what they are saying will finally sink in and she’ll come to her senses,” Alicia offered.

Katie laughed at that. “Well they are in for a long wait. I’ve seen the two of them together and you would be hard pressed to find two people more devoted to each other. She’s already chosen Draco over her family once. If they push her too much she’ll make the break permanent.”

“We know. Bill and Charlie don’t have any major issues with Draco. He proved during the War that he wasn’t like his father, but the others all remember what he was like at school.”

“Add into that while Ginny is with Draco she can’t fulfil Molly’s dearest wish to have her married to Harry and you have a nasty situation,” Angelina added. “Why the sudden interest in Ginny? The two of you have never been close.”

“I could see the parallels. I don’t want to lose you two over my relationship Marcus,” Katie said quietly.

“Do you love him?” Alicia asked

“More every day.”

Angelina asked seriously, “Does he love you?”

“He cares for me I can tell that much. I don’t know if it is more than that yet,” Katie admitted.

Angelina and Alicia exchanged quick glances and smiled. “Oh sweetie, you could shack up with all of the ex members of the Slytherin Quidditch team and we’d still love you.”

Katie’s face broke into a wide smile of relief and she launched herself across to hug her two friends.

“Now that we have that sorted,” Alicia said seriously. “We can move onto the important questions.”

“Exactly, Mrs Weasley,” Angelina replied with a wicked grin. “So tell us Katie, what’s he like in bed?”

End Chapter 6
Chapter Seven by Slythhearted
See Chapter One for the disclaimer

*********************************************************************

After confirming with Worthington Jewels that the ring would be ready on Thursday, Draco started to put 'Operation Weasel' into play. After his confrontation with Ginny’s younger brothers in Diagon Alley, Draco had decided to offer the olive branch one more time. Oh not to King Weasley, no it would be a cold day in hell before he went crawling to Ron for approval; Ginny had shed too many tears over his comments for Draco to forget or forgive, but the older brothers, especially Charlie and Bill, might have potential. The owl had been sent yesterday and he still had not received a reply. “Come on Weasels,” he murmured under his breath, “a yes or a no. Simple really.” A tapping at the window distracted him. “Finally,” he muttered. Grabbing the owl he detached the message abruptly, ignoring the owl’s indignant sqwawk. Draco let his breath out in a rush after reading the short note, now all he had to do was confess to his soon-to-be fiancée.

Ginny chose that moment to walk into study moving over to Draco with a small smile. “Hello Lover,” she whispered as she wound her arms around his neck. Draco raised a hand to cup her cheek as he traced his thumb over her lips.

“Hello yourself,” he replied, “how are the menus coming along?” Okay he could admit he was stalling for time.

Ginny smiled happily at him. “Wonderfully, Severus and I have been having a ball working out how to combine the potions into the food without noticeable changes to taste.”

“I don’t suppose there is a ‘good will to all’ menu developed?” he asked with a winning smile.

Ginny suddenly looked suspicious. “What have you been up to Ferret?” she demanded.

Draco tried to diffuse the signs of her rising temper, “I thought it would be nice to have some dinner guests tomorrow night.”

“Marcus and Katie?”

“No, but I can set that up for the following night if you wish. Actually Bill and Charlie accepted my invitation for dinner.”

Ginny’s mouth opened in small O of surprise. “You invited my brothers here?” she asked tremulously. Draco nodded at her waiting for a reaction.

“And they accepted?” her lower lip began to tremble.

Draco brushed her hair away from her face. “His reply just arrived,” he replied gently.

Ginny took the note from his outstretched hand and read,

Draco,

Thank you for the invitation. Charlie and I will be there at seven.
Regards,

B. Weasley


Draco led Ginny over to the couch and held her quietly until the storm of relieved weeping had passed.

“Thank you,” she whispered.

“You’re welcome.”

*********************************************************************

The following afternoon Ginny was pacing up and down the house working herself up to a near frenzy. Draco had watched this with some amusement for the first hour but enough was enough. If she didn’t relax soon she’d snap something, in the interest of it not being him, Draco decided to take preventative action.

Ginny swung around to face him and dragged a hand through her hair. “Do you think the menu…” she began

“The menu is fine,” he said soothingly

“The room?”

“Is also fine. As are the wine, music, weather, political climate and my hair. Yours on the other hand...” Draco ducked as Ginny swatted at him irritably.

“Stop mocking me. This is important; none of my family has been here before.”

“I know,” he soothed, “which is why I invited them. Come on Gin Girl if you don’t relax you wont be able to enjoy tonight.”

“I can’t relax; whenever I try to do something I start to worry about what could go wrong,” she complained.

Draco smirked at her and traced a finger down the line of her throat. “I have a couple of ideas on how to relax you,” he offered.

“You’re thinking about sex at a time like this?” Ginny scowled at him in mock annoyance.

“I’m always thinking about sex. Most of my waking hours and a goodly portion of my sleeping ones are devoted to picturing you naked. Not my fault I’m in love with a gorgeous sexy redhead.”

Ginny looked at him from under her lashes a small smile playing around her mouth. “Well I suppose I can’t blame you for that,” she said twisting a lock of hair around her finger. “What have you been thinking about recently?” she asked curiously.

“I’ve been calculating how much trouble I would be in if I threw you over my shoulder and locked us in our bedroom for an hour.”

The small smile broke into a large grin, “How about you give it a try and I’ll let you know at the end of the hour.”

“Whatever my lady desires.” With that Draco grabbed her around the legs and hoisted her over his shoulder. Ginny grinned at her new view and squeezed his butt experimentally. Draco chuckled and picked up his pace pushing through their bedroom door he dumped her in the middle of the bed. Ginny lounged back on the pillows and giggled up at him, “Come on Ferret Boy, distract me.”

********************************************************************

Draco lounged back on the couch with Ginny tucked into his side. The evening had gone exceptionally well. Although Charlie and Bill had been a little reserved when they arrived, Ginny’s enthusiasm at seeing her oldest brothers had been so apparent that the two men had quickly relaxed. It had been several years since Ginny had been around members of her family in a non confrontational manner and she had relished the opportunity to catch up on gossip that, for once, wasn’t about her.

Extracting himself from under Ginny who was resting against his shoulder, Draco excused himself to fetch another bottle of wine from the kitchen. After exchanging a quick glance with Charlie, Bill got up to follow. When Ginny looked up in concern Charlie reached over and chucked her under the chin. “Don’t look so worried, Ginny. Your boy is safe for the moment; Bill just wanted to ask him a few things.”

Draco heard one of Ginny’s brothers follow him into the kitchen, turning casually he leant against the counter and waited for Bill to speak. Bill paused for a moment and looked at all the photos around the wall. Reaching over he picked up one of Draco’s favourites. It had been taken the year before when he and Ginny had holidayed in Florence. The two of them were swaying gently to music only they could hear, completely oblivious to the other guests dining at the restaurant. Bill smiled as he replaced the frame on the kitchen counter. “Nice photo,” he commented casually.

Draco kept his voice equally casual, “That was taken last year on holiday.”

“She looks very happy.”

“She is.”

“A lot of my family believe that this – you – are a phase she will grow out of.”

“Are you one of them?” Draco asked casually.

“I was,” Bill admitted. “Charlie and I came here half expecting to find her playing at being grown up.”

“And now?”

“I haven’t seen any play acting tonight.” Bill laughed, “As her oldest brother it pains me to admit this but it appears that ickle Ginnikins is all grown up.”

“Thank you,” Draco said sincerely.

“Now perhaps we should rejoin the others before Ginny comes in to rescue you.”

Draco laughed before grabbing the wine and leading the way out of the kitchen.

Charlie was entertaining Ginny with wild tales of his near death experiences with various dragons when Draco and Bill rejoined them.

“I thought you two had got lost,” he teased.

“Just chatting,” Draco said idly shooting a reassuring smile at Ginny. “Nothing to be worried about.”

Ginny smiled back and tugged him back down to the couch with her.

End Chapter 7
Chapter Eight by Slythhearted
See Chapter One for disclaimer

*********************************************************************

Marcus lay on his back and looked up at his naked girlfriend straddling his waist. "So do you want to try it?" he asked seriously.

"Well Ginny raved to me how well it worked when Draco did it for her. I'd say it's worth a go."

Marcus started to smirk, "You know this sounds kind of naughty."

Katie swatted at his chest, "Stop that, you prat. We need to focus here."

"Okay, okay. Do you want me to invite them?"

"No, I think it should come from me. If you turn up with the invitation Fred and George would hex first, find an alibi later."

"Shall we set it up for this Saturday? We can postpone it if necessary but I want to make sure the twins are there."

Katie raised an eyebrow at him. "I thought your main concern would be in wooing Oliver," she said.

Marcus screwed up his nose at her choice of words. "Draco has managed to get Bill and Charlie Weasley on side; this'll give him an opportunity to work on the twins without Ron being there to fuck things up."

Katie's face broke into a wide smile. Bending down she brushed her lips over Marcus's. "Now that is the side of Marcus they have never seen before," she whispered.

"The cunning devious side?" Marcus grinned as he kissed her lightly, "Because I'm pretty sure they're familiar with those facets of my personality."

"No," Katie murmured as she deepened the kisses, "The incredibly loyal and caring side that won me."

"Was that what did it? I thought it was my talent in bed."

"Well that too."

******************************************************************

Angelina was lounging outside when Katie Apparated to the Weasley home.

She looked up with a grin at her erstwhile friend. "Out of bed before noon on a day with no practice scheduled, Kit Kat? This is a surprise," she gently teased.

"Exactly, you should feel especially privileged as I left my gorgeous naked boyfriend all alone to come visit you lot,” Katie said. “Is everyone here, or have the twins already gone into the lab?"

"They're in the kitchen having a late breakfast." At Katie's raised eyebrow Angelina explained, "The smell of eggs is one of the only triggers I have for morning sickness, unfortunately it is also the food that Alicia craves the most."

Katie grimaced in sympathy. "That's an unfortunate coincidence."

"Not really," Angelina grinned. "I get to stay out here and they do all the cleaning up."

"Fair enough," Katie giggled. "Do you want me to call them out here?"

"No. It should be fine by now."

Linking arms with Katie, Angelina paused before entering the kitchen and sniffed experimentally. "See, told you it would be fine."

Pushing the door open Katie called out cheerfully, "Hello, the Weasleys!"

"Hey Katie," Alicia replied happily. The twins waved at her, mouths working to finish the last of the toast. "What brings you to Casa Weasley this morning?"

"I am here to check your social calendar to see if you can fit me into your busy lives."

*********************************************************************

Oliver opened the door at the hesitant knock to find Katie waiting nervously on his doorstep.

"Hello Katie. I wasn't expecting to see you," Oliver said quietly. He had been trying to move past his discovery of her relationship with Marcus, really he had. Oliver had lost sleep rationalising why this was her life and her decision, and then even more sleep over what he could do to convince her to let him pick a nice Hufflepuff as a replacement boyfriend. She was his family for Merlin's sake. Katie deserved someone who would worship the ground she walked on and look after her when Oliver couldn't. Not Marcus bloody Flint who went through women like Gilderoy Lockhart went through hair products. "Come on in."

Katie paused awkwardly inside the door and waited, unsure exactly how to proceed. Oliver looked over at her, noting the nervousness before opening his arms. Smiling in relief, Katie threw herself at him. A muffled "Missed you" soon emerged.

"Missed you too," he admitted. Since neither of them seemed to want to let go, Oliver shuffled them across to the couch. "Not that I'm complaining but are you planning on letting go soon," he teased.

"Nope," Katie muttered. "I have been deprived of Oliver snuggles and I need to make up my quota before I can move."

Oliver sighed dramatically, "I suppose that will be okay." After several minutes of covertly checking her appearance for signs of maltreatment from faithless Slytherin chasers, Oliver asked, "How have you been?"

"Apart from missing you terribly, I've been good." Katie paused, "I need to find a way to make this work, Oliver. You're a huge part of my life, always will be, but Marcus is too." Katie stroked a hand down his arm when she felt him stiffen slightly. "I'm not asking you to welcome him with open arms."

Oliver choked out something that sounded suspiciously like, "Thank Merlin."

"However, I do want the two of you to be able to be in the same room without hexing each other into little pieces," Katie said firmly.

"What do you have planned?"

"I want us to go out and spend a civil evening together."

"The three of us?" Oliver asked, horrified.

"Even I am not that optimistic. No, the Weasleys would be there as well." Katie looked up at him with a teasing smile. "When playing nice gets too much you can always hide with them."

Oliver was silent for a while, weighing up his options. Refusal would hurt Katie again, something he was loath to do. If he agreed he could at least see how Marcus was treating her. If he wasn't happy with what he found the twins would be there to help him dispose of the body. "Where and when do you want me?"

********************************************************************

Marcus looked gloomily over at Draco, "Can't we just hex the lot of them and then oblivate Katie and Ginny later?"

"Oh that's tempting," Draco groaned. "However if you ever plan on sleeping with Ms Bell again I advise playing nice with her friends tonight."

"The only comfort I am taking in this whole endeavour is that you will be suffering along side me," Marcus replied.

"You are a true friend, Marcus. I wouldn't be in this situation if not for you."

"Excuse me! It was your success with the eldest Weasels that gave me the idea in the first place." Marcus paused for a moment and looked at Draco speculatively. "Did you pick up the ring on Thursday?" he asked.

"Yes."

"And?" Marcus prompted.

"And I'm waiting for the right moment. I only plan on doing this once so everything has to be perfect."

Both men plastered on smiles as Katie and Ginny came through the door. Moving across the floor to their respective lovers the two women raised their faces for a quick kiss.

"Are we ready?" Katie asked.

"Amazing as it may seem Malfoy was able to tear himself away from the mirror in under two hours, so yes we are ready."

Draco had a slight pout as he complained, "Some days I ask myself why I'm friends with you."

"My poor baby," Ginny crooned before the laughter overtook her. "Let's get out of here.

************************************************************************

Fred and George Weasley had a slightly shell-shocked expression on their faces as they waited for Ginny, Katie and their associated Slytherins to appear. Their normally even-tempered wives had launched a blistering tirade at them before they left the house threatening all sorts of inventive punishments should they attempt to prank either Marcus or Draco this evening.

Angelina and Alicia chatted idly, pointedly ignoring their husbands to focus their attention on Oliver.

"We're very proud of you Oliver," Alicia said quietly. "We know this isn't easy for you but the fact that you're willing to try means the world to Katie."

Angelina nodded her agreement, "And we should probably thank you as well." At Oliver's surprised look she continued, "The fact that you were willing to come here also gives Ginny a chance to show her brothers what she has been doing."

"I hadn't realised that none of you had been here before," Oliver admitted.

"Well it wasn't for a lack of our trying, believe me," Alicia muttered.

"I haven't, but that was because I had no desire to bump into Flint off a Quidditch pitch. Unfortunately that plan appears to be shot to hell and back."

The Mrs Weasleys laughed and patted his arm in sympathy when a loud pop signalled the arrival of the rest of the group.

Katie and Ginny looked slightly nervous as they greeted their respective families. There was a lot riding on the success of tonight's experiment. Draco handed over a stack of green cards to Ginny.

"Oh I almost forgot - you all need one of these." Explaining as she handed them out, "These will get you into all levels of the club, and past any lines. Just show it to security. If you want a drink or something to eat, just flash the card again."

************************************************************************

Draco wrapped his arms around Ginny and rested his chin on top of her head as they stood chatting with Marcus. The older Gryffindors had paired up and were dancing enthusiastically on the dance floor. Marcus was watching Katie giggling as Wood twirled her around before dipping her extravagantly.

"She's enjoying herself," Ginny commented quietly.

Marcus smiled down at her, "She is. Tonight was a good idea."

"You weren't saying that two hours ago," Draco baited.

To say that conversation had been stilted would have been a gross understatement. So many conversation topics were off limits. Quidditch the standard conversational fallback suddenly became a lot more volatile when all of them had represented their House at Hogwarts and four now played the game professionally. Discussing politics was a bit dodgy as well. Although neither Draco nor Marcus had been a supporter of Voldemort their families had been. In desperation Ginny had taken them of a tour from top to bottom of the club. Alicia and Angelina were fascinated with the various levels and their enthusiasm had helped thaw their husbands' reticence. Unable to resist the hopeful smiles Katie kept throwing him, Oliver had eventually relaxed as well.

"Enough chit-chat you two, I want to dance." Ginny said firmly. Reaching over she grabbed Marcus's hand, dragging the two Slytherins in her wake she lead them out to the dance floor.

Although Oliver hated to admit it, he was enjoying himself. It had been ages since he and the Katie had partied with the Weasleys. Fred and George had been watching Draco almost as intently as Oliver had been watching Marcus's interaction with Katie. So far he hadn't found anything to fault him on. He was attentive to her wishes without being overbearing and their gentle teasing and unconscious touches spoke of an emotional intimacy that Oliver was not expecting to find.

Katie and Alicia were returning from the rest room and weaving their way through the crowds. Alicia was muttering about bladders, pregnancy and bloody Weasley fertility while Katie giggled helplessly. Just before they reached the rest of their group Katie was accosted by someone she would have preferred not to have seen again.

"Ma chérie, I thought it was you," Etienne exclaimed extravagantly, reaching towards her.

Katie recoiled at the heavy waft of alcohol that washed over face as Etienne bent and kissed her cheeks.

"Now, now Katie, is that any way to greet an old friend," He chided. Looking up and down her body suggestively "You have grown up nicely over the last few years."

Katie stiffened in anger, "If you'll excuse me." She made to move past him. She could see Oliver pushing towards them. His speed through the crowd alerting Marcus that something was wrong.

Etienne ignored her cold tone and continued; seemingly unaware of the imminent danger he was in, "What say you and I go some place … quieter and catch up."

"Or not," Oliver snarled, finally reaching Katie's side. He couldn't believe the bastard was propositioning Katie after what he had done to her.

Etienne looked across at Oliver and his face twisted with drunken rage, "Wood, are you still hanging around? If she hasn't fucked you by now she's not going to."

Oliver snarled and moved forward with his fist clenched. He paused as Marcus's hand descended heavily on his shoulder. Under the mistaken belief that the arrival of Snake Pit's owner meant that he was no longer in physical danger from Wood. Etienne smiled. "Monsieur Flint," he began, "Let my introduce myself. I am Etienne Costes."

Marcus ignored him completely. "Katie?" he questioned.

"I'm okay. I think Etienne was realising that he has other places he should be," she said whimsically. Although being accosted by ex boyfriends was never going to be her idea of a fun night out, on one level Katie was beginning to relish the confrontation. She had come so far from the lost little girl that fancied herself in love; seeing Etienne now just emphasised how real her feelings for Marcus actually were.

Marcus smiled as he realised she wasn't upset. Still an insult had been made here not to mention all those years ago. Katie had shed tears over this bastard and Marcus had a real desire to see blood spilled in punishment. Looking over at Wood he realised that he would be thinking along similar lines. "How do you want this to be played?" he asked conversationally.

Oliver looked at him expressionlessly. "I have the right."

"As do I," Marcus countered. "Plus you got to have the pleasure last time."

A pause, "Fair enough."

That was all the warning Etienne got before Marcus's fist shot out to send the Frenchman sprawling. He spluttered, looking in disbelief at the bloody teeth that appeared in his hand.

Draco and Ginny flanked Marcus in silent support. Their faces were cold as Marcus spat, "Vous n'êtes pas bienvenu ici."

Etienne looked up at them with something like fear as realisation flooded through him. Desperately trying to regain some semblance of dignity he turned and fled through the crowd.

One of the Snake Pit's security personnel approached Draco. "Mr Malfoy?" he questioned.

"Make sure he leaves immediately."

Ginny turned to them, "And make sure he does not gain admittance again."

"Yes Sir, Madam. I'll see to it personally."

Oliver smiled at Marcus for the first time all evening. "That was a nice punch," he commented.

"Thank you," Marcus grinned. "You're going to end up playing France in the semi finals aren't you?"

Oliver nodded in agreement. "That's the most likely outcome the way the pools are set up."

"France has a better seeker than you do."

"Agreed, McColl isn't the best seeker in the tournament. They may end up winning the game but I can guarantee that prick won't be getting a Quaffle past me." Oliver returned Marcus's grin with a wide smile.

Katie looked at them and shook her head. Although bonding over spilt blood and other displays of testosterone was not exactly the common ground she had hoped for, Katie wasn't about to knock it. The blood on the floor didn't belong to either Marcus or Oliver so she could live with the new understanding they seemed to have found. Moving over to them she smiled at the two most important people in her life. "The night is still young. I say we party."

End Chapter 8
Chapter Nine by Slythhearted
See Chapter One for the disclaimer

******************************************************************

Ginny flooed into Marcus’s home and kept her hand firmly covering her eyes. “Are you decent?” she hollered.

“What happens if the answer is no?” Marcus responded as he walked into the hall.

“I whip out a camera, beat a hasty retreat and flog the photos to the Prophet,” Ginny replied with a grin.

“Fair enough,” Marcus smiled at his favourite red head. “To what do I owe the pleasure of the visit?”

Ginny scowled. “Something is up with Draco. He’s being all secretive and annoying so I want you to tell me what he is plotting.”

Marcus threw up his hands in mock horror. “Virginia dearest, do you really want me to betray one of my childhood friends?”

“Yes!”

“Sorry, no can do my sweet. I have absolutely no idea what he is planning,” Marcus lied.

Ginny looked at him suspiciously. “I don’t believe you,” she stated firmly.

Marcus clutched at his chest dramatically. “You wound me.”

“Fine, be like that then. I’ll just find someone who will tell me then,” she growled before throwing another handful of powder into the fire. “Hogwarts!”

“What did Ginny want?” Katie asked as she wandered into the hall.

Marcus turned and wrapped his arms around her. “She’s in a snit because I won’t tell her what Draco is up to,” he explained. “She’s off to harass Severus to see if he’ll be more forthcoming.”

“Well, what is he up to?” Katie demanded.

“Well,” Marcus twisted slightly so he could capture her left hand. Raising it to his mouth his tongue traced along the ring finger. “It has to do with some permanent decoration for Ginny’s hand.”

Katie was all but purring as Marcus sucked the finger into his mouth. Enjoying the sensations immensely it took her a few moments to process what he had just said. “They’re getting married?” she squealed.

Wincing slightly at the sudden rise in volume Marcus said, “Well they will if Draco stops fretting about the perfect setting and just asks her. At this rate their first kid will have been sorted into Slytherin before he finally gets around to it.”

Katie looked suddenly worried. “Professor Snape wouldn’t tell her would he?” she asked. “I’d hate for the surprise to be ruined.”

“Not a chance,” Marcus assured her. “Severus knows how to keep a secret. He’ll listen to her complain for a bit and then brew her some calming tea.” At Katie’s sceptical expression Marcus laughed. “He likes Ginny so is able to repress the fact she was a Gryffindor enough to comfort her.” Marcus ducked quickly as Katie’s hand swiped out in retaliation to his slur on her former House. “Come on, we better get going. Martin wants to discuss the chaser strategy for the next game.”

*****************************************************************

Draco looked down at the ring in his hand and sighed in exasperation. ‘Phase One: Operation Weasel’ had been a success, Bill and Charlie were now openly supporting his relationship with Ginny, and after the night out at the club the twins were a lot more open to the suggestion that he would be sticking around. Draco made a mental note to send flowers to Katie tomorrow. He understood from Marcus that she had been doing some heavy campaigning with Angelina and Alicia to build up support in that camp. That just left Ginny’s parents who he was sure would cave at the first hint of another grandchild, then Percy and Ron. Once the matter of he and Ginny publicly living in sin was resolved Percy would be fine, and Ron? Well quite frankly Draco didn’t care what the Weasely King thought as long as he kept his mouth shut and refrained from making Ginny cry.

However, ‘Phase Two: The Proposal’ just wasn’t going to plan. He’d spent hours trying to work on the perfect proposal but the universe seemed to be conspiring against him, turning the whole endeavour into one cosmic joke. The picnic in the park had been rained out, the walk along the beach was interrupted by overexcited seagulls, while the romantic star gazing flight on his Firebolt had almost ended in tragedy when they had accidentally strayed to close to a muggle military base. Emergency mid air Apparations were always a bit dodgy and they’d landed in a flower bed covered in daisies.

One of the things he loved most about Ginny was her intelligence; not the book smarts of Granger, but the ability to instantly analyse a situation. Unfortunately this particular trait was now working against him. Draco was having to furiously send out red herrings to stop her from guessing what he was up to. She had arrived home an hour ago disgruntled at not being able to get information out of Marcus and Severus; he was going to have to come up with something fast.

Intellectually he knew that the setting wasn’t important; he could go down on one knee as soon as Ginny walked through the door and get the whole thing over with but Ginny deserved better than that. To be honest, Ginny deserved better than him. Draco resolutely pushed that thought aside, as long as Ginny never realised that he’d be fine. As Draco sipped at his tea he let his eyes wander over the photos in the kitchen smiling at how happy the two of them looked. Perhaps it was for the best that his original ideas hadn’t worked out, Ginny deserved more than a clichéd gesture, she deserved something grand…

********************************************************************

Katie was having to hide her grin as she and Ginny made their way through the upper end of Diagon Alley. Draco had sent through an urgent fire-call to Marcus’s house yesterday evening begging their assistance. While he and Marcus were running around today bribing various people and organising portkeys, Katie’s job was to keep Ginny distracted. Katie had called in some favours from old school friends and had been able to secure bookings for facials and hair appointments leaving several hours free for some serious retail therapy. Katie was used to these “girls’ day out”, along with her fellow Gryffindor chasers she had launched regular attacks on Diagon Alley over the years, but this was Ginny’s first time. It wasn’t too surprising, Katie mused, that growing up in a family of boys, gossiping while shopping for lingerie would not have happened very often. Her train of thought was disrupted as a very naughty giggle emerged from the changing room Ginny was in.

“Katie,” Ginny called, “I think we have a winner.”

“Can I come in?” Katie asked hovering just outside the door. Taking the renewed giggles as an affirmative she quickly entered the room. Catching sight of Ginny’s reflection the mirror she drew in her breath. “Oh my,” she whispered.

Ginny smoothed her hands over her hips and arched an eyebrow. “I’ll take it you agree then.” Turning back to her reflection she did an experimental twirl. “Lavender said it only came in this morning.” Ginny snickered, “perhaps it’s a sign.”

Katie smiled at the reminder of Lavender’s obsession with divination at school. Assuming a mock serious expression Katie stated, “Well far be it from us to ignore a sign from the heavens. I think you should buy it just in case.”

“Oh, I agree.”

Katie worked at keeping her voice casual as she said, “When the boys have finished helping Severus how about the four of us go out to dinner someplace nice? We’re looking gorgeous, have just got new robes and you’re about to buy lingerie that’s so sexy it should come with a health warning. It would be a shame to waste that on a night at home.” She held her breath waiting to see if Ginny would see through her.

Ginny cocked her head to the side in thought. “Why not,” she said. “Of course we still have to find something for you.”

Katie smiled in relief, “I’ll go ask Lavender what else came in this morning.” Turning to leave the room she added, “I’ll tell her to put that one on your bill.”

*******************************************************************

Draco waited nervously as he waited for Ginny and Katie to turn up. He had dashed home for a quick shower and was now dressed in his favourite formal robes. Although accustomed to wearing muggle clothes at the Snake Pit, there was a certain comfort in returning to the traditional attire of his upbringing. He turned his attention back to Marcus as the older man held out a glass to him.

“Take this,” Marcus ordered handing over a shot of Ogdens Reserve. “Merlin, if you’re this nervous now, I’m having Severus brew up a calming potion before the wedding night.”

“Just you wait until you have to do this and we’ll see if you find this as amusing.” Draco irritably knocked back the shot and handed back the glass. “They’re here,” he breathed. Smoothing his hands over the robes he unobtrusively checked to see if the ring was still there.

Ginny twirled exuberantly to show off her new robes as she approached Draco. “We’ve been shopping,” she announced triumphantly.

“I can see that,” Draco gently teased. In the background he was aware of Marcus and Katie moving quietly away.

“What do you think?”

“I think you look absolutely beautiful,” he said honestly. And she did. Dressed in dark green robes that set off the creamy expanse of her shoulders, and with her hair tumbled around, Draco had to restrain himself from kissing her senseless. Tucking his arm around her, he asked, “Are you ready for dinner?” At her nod Draco smiled and activated the first portkey.

Ginny stumbled as she felt a tug at her navel. Smooth yellow stone had replaced the furniture of the Leaky Cauldron, while the scent of rosemary and lemon chased away the lingering tallow smoke in her clothes. “Draco?” she questioned, looking around in wonder at the Florentine street.

Draco smiled at her as he led them into the empty restaurant. “There’s been a small change in plans,” he said. The photo that Bill had admired had triggered this idea. Deciding to recreate the night from a year ago, he had booked the entire restaurant where the photo had been taken and had arranged for the same local band to be playing. Bruno Cavallero, the restaurant owner had been so delighted at such a grand romantic gesture (especially from an Englishman) that he had been happy to acquiesce. After seating them at the only candlelight table, Sig. Cavallero presented the menus with a flourish. When they were alone, Draco picked up Ginny’s hand and kissed it. “It’s been a while since I told you how happy you make me so I wanted to do something special tonight for you.”

Ginny smiled tremulously as realisation began to dawn. “I could say that you didn’t have to do this for me,” she said, “but I’m glad you did.”

After the mains had been cleared, Draco led Ginny onto the dance floor. Swaying gently he let himself relax and just enjoy the music. So far everything had gone to plan. Ginny had realised what was happening and was happily going along with whatever Draco suggested, waiting for him to pick the moment.

When the last song finished, and they had resumed their seats Draco nodded at Sig. Cavallero as the musicians and restaurant staff disappeared. Reaching into the hidden pocket in his robes, Draco removed the ring from its velvet pouch. Raising her left hand to his mouth he placed a gentle kiss to her palm. “Gin Girl you have been my best friend and lover for a long time. The happiest moments in my life have all had you in it.” Draco paused before the saying in a rush, “I want to see you get big with my child. I want to watch our children grow up knowing that their parents are in love. I want-” He broke off and rested his forehead against hers, “I want you with me every day until we die. I want you. Will you marry me?”

Ginny smiled ecstatically through the tears streaming down her face. “Yes.”

“Oh thank the Gods.” Draco slipped the engagement ring onto her finger and took a second to admire how right it looked on her hand.

“I think Sig. Cavallero and his staff approve,” Ginny giggled. Draco looked at her in slight confusion before the sounds of a raucous celebration in the kitchen intruded.

“I should bloody hope so. I’d hate to have got through this only to have you cry off because the waiters didn’t approve,” he teased. Now that the hard part was over Draco was rapidly relaxing. “Do you want dessert?” he asked.

Ginny looked at him, eyes suddenly smouldering, “Not really.”

Draco smirked at her. “I’m sure Sig. Cavallero will understand if we leave early. He’d probably be disappointed if we didn’t.” Standing up he helped her to her feet before getting out the second portkey for the evening.

“Home?” Ginny questioned.

“Not quite.” Bracing himself Draco activated the portkey to take them to the quarters set aside for Slytherin Head Boy. Ginny looked around the familiar room before bursting out in delighted laughter. “There hasn’t been a Slytherin Head Boy since I had the rooms,” Draco explained. “Since we are reliving various points in our relationship I thought you’d appreciate coming back here to where it first began.”

Ginny suddenly realised why Katie had been so insistent she wear the new lingerie tonight. Sending out a silent thank you to her new friend, she began to grin. Murmuring a charm Ginny’s robes pooled around her feet leaving her clad only in the tiny scraps of gold and black lace she had selected earlier that day.

Draco abruptly swallowed. Clearing his throat he managed to get out, “Looks like the robes weren’t the only purchase today.” Shrugging out of his own robes he reached for Ginny. Laying his now fiancée down on the bed he grinned, “You know it was a toss up between here and the Slytherin Broom Shed but I figured we were less likely to be disturbed here.” Trailing kisses down her throat he nipped lightly at the skin over her pulse, “And I really, really don’t want us to be disturbed tonight.”

End Chapter 9
Chapter Ten by Slythhearted
See Chapter One for the disclaimer

********************************************************************

The owl swooped into the Burrow bearing a stack of silver edged invitations in its claws. Pausing briefly the owl dropped one in front of Molly Weasley. It hooted softly at her before flying out the window to deliver the remaining invitations. Molly looked at the card knowing full well the contents. Draco Malfoy had unexpectedly appeared on their doorstep two weeks ago announcing his intentions towards Ginny. He didn't ask for permission. Molly snorted at the thought, Malfoys never asked for permission to do anything, he had simply informed them that he would be asking Ginny to marry him that night.

Molly knew that the dreams she had held on to for ten years were foolish but she couldn't help it. Ever since Ron had brought Harry into their family she had dreamed of making that arrangement permanent. She couldn't have loved him any more if he were her own blood but it would have been nice to have him legally part of the family. However, after catching the eye of Draco Malfoy, Ginny was not the slightest bit interested in rekindling her childhood crush. Molly was still hazy on the details of how the two of them had got together; theoretically their paths should never have crossed. At Hogwarts they were in different years and different Houses, out of School their families were at opposite ends of the social and political scales. Despite all of the obstacles between them, the two had managed to forge a relationship that now looked to be permanent.

Bill and Charlie had laughed at her distress when she saw them the following day. Both of them had pointed out that she should be happy their little sister had found someone who loved her as much as Draco obviously did. Even the twins had not reacted as she expected. The two of them had apparently been talking about the possibility of a Weasley/Malfoy marriage and had no major objections to a union. Sighing again, Molly opened the invitation and read the elaborate script

Mr Arthur and Mrs Molly Weasley

You are invited to the gala opening of Poison . . .

******************************************************************

Katie ignored Marcus's grumbles as she pulled him up the stairs to the box that Oliver had arranged for them. The Weasleys were already seated, decked out in red hats and scarves in support of the Scottish team. Waving a greeting at them, Katie took a seat tugging Marcus down beside her. Turning towards Angelina and Alicia she started to chatter as they waited for the Scotland/France game to begin.

Marcus sighed, being surrounded by ex Gryffindors wearing traditional Gryffindor colours and supporting Oliver Wood at the Quidditch World Cup was not a place he ever imagined he would be. He was broken out of his self- pity when Harry Potter took the empty seat next to him. Marcus nodded in acknowledgement, to Harry's quiet greeting. He knew that the young Seeker still wasn't entirely relaxed around him. Marcus hadn't been able to work out if it was the fact he was the ex Slytherin captain, or if it was to do with his friendship with Draco. Whatever the cause of the initial reserve it had started to thaw as the World Cup campaign went on.

"Are you here supporting Wood or checking out the competition?" Marcus asked politely.

Harry grinned at him, "Bit of both. I'd like to think Scotland is going to win but France's seeker has been performing really well so far. I wanted to see her style in person. What about you?"

"Same I guess. Katie is obviously here to support Wood while I'm checking out the French team."

"You don't think Oliver's team will make it through?"

"No. They have the stronger Chaser line up, but it'll come down to the Seekers and France is too good," Marcus said confidently.

Katie leaned across Marcus, "Hiya Harry. Glad you could make it. Do you have your scarf?"

Harry bent down and removed the red scarf from the bag at his feet. "Always prepared. Just like a boy scout." At Katie and Marcus's puzzled look he laughed, "Muggle reference, don't worry about it."

"Oy Katie!" Fred called. "Where's Marcus's scarf. He has to wear something red."

Marcus looked at him steadily debating whether to make an issue of the teasing. He let his lips twitch up into a smirk, picking up the red-clad Katie he placed her on his lap, "And now I am."

When Fred opened his mouth to comment, Angelina swiped at his arm, "They're about to start."

Marcus leant forward as the Scottish team swooped out onto the field enjoying the side effects of Katie bouncing enthusiastically on his lap as she waved her Scottish flag and hollered encouragement to the team.

Harry looked slightly confused at the death glares being sent the way of one of the French Chasers by everyone around him, even Oliver was overly jubilant every time he denied the Chaser a goal. Something that was happening fairly frequently, Harry noted. Oliver was playing like a man obsessed and nothing was getting past him. Even Marcus Flint was looking slightly impressed. After being denied yet another goal the French player swung past their box. His annoyed expression turning to complete rage as Katie waved jauntily at him. Harry turned to question this rather strange behaviour when a flash of gold caught his eyes. "The Snitch!" he yelled. Conversation in the box stopped abruptly as all eyes focussed on the two diving Seekers. Marcus's prediction proved to be correct, Campbell was only a second behind the French Seeker but that small advantage was all Guilloteau needed as she reached out to grab the snitch.

*******************************************************************

Draco reached over and snagged Ginny's hand raising it to his mouth for a quick kiss before she stepped forward to take her place in front of the podium.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for joining us tonight. Right from when the Snake Pit was first established, Marcus, Draco and I knew that to succeed in this business we would need to be able to constantly adapt and meet the need of our customers. The idea for the restaurant was first hatched over a year ago, but we decided to wait until now. The last several months have been spent in furious research, and planning. At this point I must thank Professor Severus Snape, Potions Master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for his assistance and patience over this time. Without his outstanding knowledge of potions we would simply be opening another London restaurant. Instead, you are about to experience the next level in wizarding dining. Each menu has been carefully crafted to allow diners to pick and choose the ultimate dining experience. Feeling depressed? Then the entrée can cheer you up. Feeling tired? Then let the main course revitalise you." Ginny paused and smiled wickedly, "Love life been rather unexciting lately? We can help you there as well."

While Ginny waited for the laughter to subside, Draco signalled the waiting staff to start distributing the champagne. While the waiters circulated throughout the room Ginny continued, "There is of course an alternative menu for those who choose not to take advantage of the extras on offer. These diners will find a selection of mouth-watering choices. For those of you unlucky enough not to have tried my mother's cooking it will rate as a culinary highlight in your lives." Molly Weasley blushed scarlet at this unexpected compliment.

Draco and Marcus stepped forward from their support positions to stand on either side of Ginny. Raising her own glass of champagne formally, Ginny said in a carrying voice, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to Poison!"

As people started to mingle excitedly, Katie detached herself from the Weasely group and made her way over to Professor Snape. "Hello Professor," she said.

"Good Evening Miss Bell," he replied politely. "You chose not to be up on the stage with Marcus?" Professor Snape questioned.

"Marcus offered but I didn't feel it was appropriate," Katie explained. "This is their project and they should get the recognition. What about you?" she ventured. "Tonight is as much about your work as theirs. Why weren't you up the front?"

Severus Snape let his mouth twist into a slightly sardonic smile, "Let those who enjoy the limelight stay there. I, for one, prefer the shadows."

Katie waited beside him slightly nervously trying to catch Marcus's eye. Intellectually she knew Professor Snape wasn't about to do anything nasty but seven years of having him deduct points for the slightest infraction could make a girl rather nervous. She jumped slightly when he spoke again.

"I have enjoyed watching the England games Ms Bell. I was a little surprised when I first heard of your appointment, but you make a good team with Marcus."

Katie smiled brilliantly at him. Ginny had said that Professor Snape had approved of her relationship with Marcus but confirmation from the source made her feel immeasurably better.

Marcus caught the tail end of the conversation as he joined them. "Don't we just," he said smugly, wrapping a proprietary arm around Katie's shoulders. "Perhaps I should send flowers to Angelina to thank her for getting knocked up when she did."

*******************************************************************

Bill Weasley moved over to where Ginny was answering the Prophet's questions. When the interview finished he laced his arm with hers and smiled down at his little sister. Looking down at where her hand rested on his arm he smiled at the engagement ring. "Very nice," he commented.

"Isn't it just," Ginny grinned in reply. "Draco had the ancestral ring cut down for me. The original was pretty scary."

"Well I'd have to say his taste in jewellery is matched only by his taste in women."

"Why thank you, Bill. I'll pass that on," Ginny promised. Extending an arm in invitation, she asked, "Shall we mingle, Mr Weasley?"

"What a fabulous idea, Miss Weasley." With that the two siblings moved forward to work the crowd.

After dealing with his own set of reporters, Draco made his way over to where Arthur and Molly Weasley were standing. His smile was genuine as he greeted them, "Thank you for coming tonight Mr and Mrs Weasley. It means a lot to Ginny to have you here."

Arthur looked determined to make the best of the situation, "Thank you, Draco. We were delighted to receive an invitation." Looking around the room he searched for an inoffensive topic of conversation. "I am impressed with what you have created here. If the enthusiasm of the crowd tonight is an indication, the restaurant will be a raging success."

"Any success that Poison enjoys will be due to Virginia. She has put her heart and soul into the expansion." Draco smiled wryly, "But that's Ginny isn't it. She's an incredibly driven young woman. When she sets her heart on something she wont let anything stand in her way."

Molly harrumphed softly at Draco's unspoken warning. He looked at her with an amused expression. "A personality trait I believe she credits you for, Mrs Weasley. You brought her up to believe that she could do anything that she set her mind to. That belief has resulted in a great deal of drive and self-confidence." Draco gestured around the restaurant. "You have given that to all of your children Mrs Weasley, you should be very proud of that achievement."

Molly looked around, seeking out the red heads scattered throughout the crowd. "I am proud of my children, Draco," she said. "All of them."

"I'm glad to hear it, Mrs Weasley." Draco glanced over and nodded at the musicians. "I do believe a waltz is about to start. Would you do me the honour of this dance?"

Molly took the proffered hand with only the barest of hesitations. "Thank you, Draco. I think it is about time that you started to call me Molly. There's no need to stand on formality if you're to be family."

*******************************************************************

Ginny clapped her hands together in delight when she saw Draco lead her mother onto the dance floor. Bill chuckled as he followed her gaze, contenting himself with, "About time."

The couple in front of them moved away to reveal Ron, Hermione and Harry standing slightly awkwardly watching everyone else socialise. Brother and sister stared at each other silently.

"Hullo, Gin," Harry said to break the silence. "Thank you for inviting us."

Ginny slipped thankfully into the role of hostess, "You're welcome Harry. Your name actually came up twice on the invitation list, once as part of Marcus's team, and the other as family. Have you been enjoying yourself?"

After the obligatory exchange of pleasantries had been completed, Hermione picked up the conversation thread. "The concept behind the menu is fascinating. Are the potions detectable by taste?" she asked.

"Not at all. Professor Snape and I have worked very hard to find foods that would perfectly blend with the potions. You can't taste anything untoward."

Hermione frowned at that, "But doesn't that leave it open for the possibility of abuse? If you can't taste the additives then what is to stop you being manipulated by the other people at the table?"

"We had considered that. No one is able to order for another person. The choices are made by each individual diner and confirmed again by the waiter before the food is placed on the table." Ginny explained. "However, if you are interested in some take home Passion Parfait I could probably arrange something," she teased.

"That won't be necessary Ginny," Hermione said primly. "I am more than capable of taking care of that myself."

Harry snickered at Ron's sudden blush. "Glad to hear it."

********************************************************************

Marcus held Katie loosely in his arms as they danced. He smiled in satisfaction when the dancing figures of Draco and Ginny came into view. Ginny wore an expression of complete contentment as she swayed to the music. Marcus directed Katie's attention to the happy couple.

"She looks so happy," Katie commented.

"Considering this is the first time that Draco has been in the room with the entire Weasley clan without hexes or punches being thrown, I'd say she has a right to be."

Katie smiled to herself, "I think things are finally beginning to work out."

End Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven by Slythhearted
See Chapter One for the disclaimer
***********************************************************
Marcus and Katie lay silently next to each other waiting for the alarm charm to go off. Katie reached for his hand seeking reassurance.

“This is it, I guess,” he said quietly.

“Are you scared?”

“A bit. I’ve dreamed of this since I was six years old.”

“You knew you were going to play in a World Cup final at six years of age?” she laughed.

“It was the first time I had been taken to a professional game. The Falcons were playing the Arrows and I remember looking at the players zooming through the air and knowing that was what I wanted to do when I grew up.” Marcus laughed remembering his determination to make it to the top, “And hey if you’re going to do something you may as well as be the best at it.”

“That’s awfully ambitious for a six year old,” Katie was amusing herself with mental pictures of a youthful Marcus stomping his foot as he insisted that he was going to win.

Marcus rolled over to his side propping himself up to give her a lazy kiss. “Well there’s a reason the hat put me in Slytherin, you know.”

Katie broke off the kiss reluctantly. “Well let’s go fulfill your childhood dream then.”

*~*~*

The English team waited quietly in the changing rooms. The normal teasing and shows of bravado that had marked previous matches was absent today. All the months of preparation; late night strategy sessions, early morning practice, hours of gruelling drills – it all had been directed towards this one game. Marcus stood up and grasped his broom. He had decided against a lengthy motivational speech this time, knowing that his team needed this time to focus on what had brought them here. Slowly turning his head Marcus made sure he captured the eyes of every member of the team. “We’ve made it to the finals and that means we are better than anyone else out there. They failed where we triumphed,” he stated firmly. Feeling his face slip in a familiar smirk he finished what was his shortest ever pre-match speech, “Let’s go out and remind them of that.”

Harry was slightly shocked for a moment before shaking his head in silent laughter. Flint certainly had a different approach to motivating his team than Oliver used with Puddlemere, but it seemed to work. The slight air of nervousness that had hung over the changing room had dissipated leaving behind seven players radiating quiet confidence. Grasping his broom he moved over to line up with the rest of his team.

*~*~*

Severus Snape settled himself down into his seat and tried not to sigh. The future Mr and Mrs Malfoy had yet to arrive which meant that he was stuck in the top box with a horde of rabid Gryffindors. The other two members of the golden trio were obviously here to support Potter; the Weasley twins were here courtesy of the very pregnant Mrs Weasley’s former position on the team. She had drawn Wood into an impassioned discussion over the strengths and weaknesses of the French Chaser line up. Severus kept his face impassive as he half listened to their conversation. He had every confidence that Marcus would exploit each and every weakness the team displayed. He’d brought the Quidditch Cup home to Slytherin for five straight years and had continued that winning streak in the professional leagues.

Severus nodded in acknowledgement to Arthur and Molly Weasley as they entered the top box. The Weasley matriarch looked fit to burst with pride. She’d all but adopted Potter as a seventh son after his first year and she couldn’t have been prouder if it were one of her own blood out there today. He knew she had expected that her daughter would be the means to bring Potter into the family on a permanent basis but thankfully Miss Weasley had demonstrated considerable good sense and managed to avoid that entanglement. Draco’s decision to enter into a relationship with her had been a very welcome development and marked the first sign that he wouldn’t blindly follow Lucius. Good esteem aside, if they didn’t turn up soon he would be forced to exact some form of retribution. They were supposed to be here to provide intellectual stimulation and more importantly a buffer against the moronic nobility that the rest of the Weasley clan insisted on demonstrating. Speaking of which, he could see one of them preparing to draw him into their conversation, something he would really rather avoid. Severus shaped his face into his most forbidding scowl – not relaxing the muscles until he saw Draco and Ginny enter the box.

Ginny smiled at her family and Hermione before deliberately sitting down next to Severus Snape. Ron didn’t look particularly happy with the arrangement but tough. She was here supporting Marcus first, and then Katie and Harry. As such she would sit with Marcus’s ‘family’. To give him credit he did refrain from commenting. They had a long way to go repair the damage their relationship had sustained over the last few years but at least the open antagonism had died away.

“You’re late,” Severus commented sourly.

“Blame your godson. He was particularly distracting this morning.”

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose. “I believe that comes decisively under the heading of ‘Things I do not need to be told’,” he said firmly.

Ginny giggled and tucked her arm through his. “We were just practicing on providing you with grandchildren before Marcus and Katie beat us to it.”

“I have no objections to being presented with junior Malfoys. However, I would prefer it if you refrained from informing me of the process.”

Draco couldn’t help but laugh at the strained expression on his godfather’s face. “Noted,” he said.

*~*~*

After shaking the hand of the French Captain, Marcus deliberately sought out Etienne to deliver a particularly evil grin. He’d been looking forward to finally meeting him in the air. He’d had a quiet word with his Beaters earlier in the week and indicated that he wouldn’t be averse to Bludgers being directed at Etienne from close range…repeatedly. Evans and Lovegood had smiled and promised that they could arrange something suitable. Professional Quidditch was a fairly small community and it hadn’t taken long for what had happened at the Snake Pit to make its way around the network.

*~*~*

Katie was having the time of her life. After years of playing with Angelina and Alicia she had never been so in tune with her fellow Chasers as she was today. This was going down in history as her game, well more like Marcus’s and hers she thought with a smile. Speak of the blue-eyed devil he was streaking up again to flank poor Etienne. It may not be particularly sporting of her but she couldn’t resist a little bit of sniping at her former lover. All’s fair in love and Quidditch and it did help the English team if one of the French players was off his game.

Pulling up beside him she shot a wicked smirk across at Marcus.

“Poor Etienne, those circles under your eyes are looking particularly dark today. Have you been having trouble sleeping again?” Ignoring his venomous look Katie continued in her solicitous tone, “I haven’t had that problem for months now. It’s amazing how multiple orgasms a night can help a girl relax. Not that is something any of your lovers are likely to experience. I mean, when we were together I couldn’t understand what the fuss over sex was – it seemed highly overrated to me. For a while there I thought it might have been something wrong with me, but then I realized it was basically all your fault. You just don’t have a clue how to pleasure a woman.”

“Now, now Katie,” Marcus admonished. “That’s not very nice.”

Katie did her best imitation of a purr while streaking towards the French goal, dodging a random Bludger, “But Lover, I thought you liked it when I was naughty.” With that, Katie punched the Quaffle out of Etienne’s arms letting Marcus grab it before the two spun towards the other end of the pitch, the accented cries of “You Bitch!” floating after them.

After slamming the Quaffle through the hoops, Marcus swung around and saw the two Seekers go into a steep dive. “Potter’s seen the snitch!” he yelled over his shoulder. Against all her training, Katie felt her attention be drawn to the two diving Seekers. She knew she should be paying attention to the Quaffle. She knew that games had been won by Chasers taking advantage of the opposing team’s distraction with the Snitch to score multiple goals, but she just couldn’t help herself. Although the English team had completely dominated the game, scoring four goals for every one that the French managed to get past Davis, if Guilloteau managed to get the snitch before Harry did then it was all over.

Harry flattened himself even closer to the broom as he put on a last desperate burst of speed reaching out his hand to grab the Golden Snitch.

Katie started to whoop with joy even as the announcer called out. “Potter has caught the snitch. England wins 270 to 40!” As Harry drew his broom up towards the top box, the Snitch held high in his hand, the other six members of his team swarmed around him, shouting in jubilation. As the flashes of thousands of cameras went off around them Marcus broke away from his team to catch the small black box Ginny hurled in his direction.

Fighting his way back to Katie’s side Marcus reached over and picked her up off her broom till she was cradled in front of him.

“Marcus,” Katie laughed. “What are you doing?”

“Are you happy?” he asked.

“Are you kidding! We just won the World Cup. I’m bloody ecstatic.”

“Reaching into his uniform he removed the black velvet box he had tucked away. “Want to see if I can tip you over into delirious with joy?” he offered.

Forgetting for the moment that they were the focus of half the wizarding world, Katie stopped laughing and looked in wonder at the small box. “Is this what I think it is?” she asked with a slight tremor in her voice.

“Why don’t you open it and see.”

Katie delicately opened the box to reveal the diamond solitaire. She could feel her breath hitch in preparation for tears. “It’s beautiful, Marcus.”

“Think you could bear to wear it for the next hundred odd years?” Marcus asked quietly.

“I think that is a fabulous idea,” she replied without hesitation. Ignoring the now frenzied camera flashes Katie raised her face for a passionate kiss.

~*~*~*

Fred Weasley gestured over to the kissing couple. “That’s absolutely disgusting, you know. My memories of England finally winning the World Cup are going to be forever tainted with the two of them playing tonsil hockey.” Angelina’s vehement
“Shut up, Fred!” was echoed from every woman in the top box.

Draco wrapped his arms around Ginny as she smiled at his god father. “Did he tell you the back up plan that he’d prepared if England had lost? Ginny asked.

“He mentioned something about a bottle of consolation firewhisky and a Scottish celebrant that didn’t ask too many questions.” Severus gifted the two of them with one of his rare smiles. “It’s probably better for long-term marital harmony that it worked out this way.”
Chapter Twelve by Slythhearted
See Chapter One for the disclaimer

Author's note: Well here it is, the end of the story. Thanks for sticking around. Oh and I am aware that Ginny’s first name is Ginevra not Virginia, however as that little snippet only became canon two chapters from the end of the story, I have kept it as Virginia.

***

Marcus tugged viciously at the neck of his dress robes, wondering if one of those blasted Weasley twins had put a shrinking hex on the seams while he wasn’t looking. Running one hand through his hair, he began to pace up and down the length of his dressing room. Shooting an irritable look over at Draco he spoke, “Remind me again why I can’t see her before the ceremony.”

Shooting a warning look at Draco, Severus tried to calm his eldest godson. “Tradition Marcus,” he explained patiently. “This, more than any other day, you need to keep quiet and let her have her traditions no matter how frustrating you might find them.”

“Yes but she’s over there surrounded by ex Gryffs all trying to convince her not to go through with this.”

Draco snorted. “Somehow I don’t think they’ll be successful. She accepted your proposal in front of the entire Wizarding world. I’d say she’s pretty certain of what she is doing.”

“Quite so Marcus,” Severus added. “Not to mention Virginia is there to hit anyone with a silencing hex should they get too vocal on the subject.”

Marcus began to smile. “Gin would do that for me, wouldn’t she,” he said fondly.

“Well she hexed all her brothers with a delayed time release silencing hex before her own wedding so I can’t see her hesitating to do so again.”

Marcus and Draco were both sporting large grins at the memory of the six Weasley brothers gasping as they tried to make a sound. “That was a spectacular piece of spell casting.”

Draco smirked in spousal pride. “Wasn’t it just?”

As the momentary distraction faded, Marcus’s nervousness arose again. “Well we’ve covered the verbal persuasion method but what if they try something more direct. I think I should go over there and just check to make sure…”

“Marcus!”

***

Katie sat calmly in front of the mirror as she ran a brush through her hair. She was pretty sure that most brides didn’t move through their wedding day as calm as she felt. According to Witch Weekly’s summer wedding issue, her friends should have had to cast several de-stressing spells already. Certainly all the weddings she had been involved in before had the brides running around in a mad panic as they dealt with pre-wedding nerves. Even Angelina who had been with Fred since she was sixteen had panicked on her wedding day over whether he would actually turn up, and was she doing the right thing?

Katie let her attention be drawn back to her friends as they fussed around the room casting anti-wrinkle charms on their robes and anti frizz charms on their hair. Although Katie had opted not to have any attendants; honestly how could she have chosen between Ang and Alicia, her two best friends since she was eleven, or Ginny who had firmly taken the space of younger sister and confidant, not to mention the hordes of junior Weasleys who could have been called upon as ring bearers or flower girls? While it was easier to eschew the traditional attendants, she hadn’t wanted to miss out on the excitement of everyone getting ready together.

Angelina came over holding Katie’s wedding robes high off the ground. “Are you ready for these Kit Kat?” she asked gently.

Katie smiled as she reached out her hand to caress the delicate fabric. Shrugging out of her bathrobe and ignoring Alicia’s ribald commentary on her choice of lingerie that Ginny had talked her into buying, Katie raised her arms to allow Angelina to drop the dress over her head. “Now, now Katie, no peeking until we give you the say so,” Alicia instructed. Keeping her back obediently to the mirror Katie stood still while Alicia cast a complicated coiffure charm, before bending down slightly to allow the heavily pregnant Mrs Malfoy to place a sprig of orchids in her hair.

“Can I look now?” Katie asked. Taking Angelina’s soft, “Oh Katie” as sufficient affirmation, Katie slowly turned towards the mirror. Behind her she could see the reflection of her three closest female friends snuffling into little lace handkerchiefs.

The moment of female bonding was broken by a knock at the door. Alicia grinned at her sister-in-law. “If that’s Marcus tell him to bugger off. We’re not waiting around for an hour like we did at Ginny’s wedding just because the bride and groom can’t wait until after the ceremony for a shag.”

Ginny assumed an innocent expression. “I have no idea what you are talking about Alicia. As the Prophet and Witch Weekly both reported, a problem arose that required both our attention before the ceremony could proceed.”

“You were shagging in the first floor bathroom!”

“As I said, something arose that needed attention.”

Still snickering, Angelina made her away across the room to answer the door.

***

Oliver waited outside the door as he listened to the movements of the women within Katie’s room. Flint had disappeared with Malfoy and Snape to get ready, which had left him with the unenviable task of convincing Fred and George that Katie was unlikely to consider them hexing Flint red and gold an amusing wedding present. It took the reminder of their sister’s actions at her wedding to dampen their enthusiasm for the prank. Oliver didn’t really want to admit it to himself, but the bastard did make her happy. No one else had ever been able to make Katie glow with happiness as much as Flint did. For that reason, he would keep his mouth shut - well most of the time anyway, and let them be. Knocking a second time at the closed door he flashed a small grin at Angelina before she popped her head back into the room. “Don’t worry girls, it’s only Ollie.”

“I object to the only!” he called out in mock indignation.

Angelina popped her head out again. “Sorry about that. We had to make sure you weren’t an over eager groom. Not supposed to let him see her before she’s walking down the aisle and all that.”

“Fair enough,” Oliver accepted. “Is everyone ready?”

Angelina patted the flowers she had tucked into her crown of braids. “Everyone is dressed, manicured, coiffed and perfumed within an inch of their lives. I’d say we’re good to go.” Tilting her head to the side she gave him a sympathetic look. “How about I clear everyone out and can have some time alone with her before you bring her down.” At Oliver’s grateful nod Angelina slipped into her training ground voice, “Oi you lot we need to clear out and let the honorary brother of the bride have a moment with Kit Kat.” Oliver stepped out of the way to let Angelina and Alicia through the door and had to take a further step back to accommodate the very pregnant Ginny Malfoy through. Any urge to laugh at the way her belly preceded the tiny woman was cut off when she waved her wand threateningly under his nose.

Once they were all gone, Oliver stepped into the room and stopped abruptly, staring at the woman he regarded as his baby sister and best friend all rolled into one. On one level he realised he must look a complete idiot just standing there but he couldn’t help it. Of course he had been aware that his little Katie had grown up into a beautiful woman, but this was like having someone hit him over the head with the fact while trumpets blared in the background. He idly wondered if the twins had had a similar moment of realisation when Ginny had grown up. Oliver came out of his reverie to notice that Katie was tapping her foot impatiently.

“Well?” she challenged.

Moving over he cupped her face in his hands and pressed a kiss to her forehead. “I have never seen a more beautiful bride,” he said honestly.

Katie’s face broke into a huge smile. “Really?”

“Really. If Flint is not blown away than he doesn’t deserve you,” Oliver paused, “Well he doesn’t deserve you anyway but I don’t think that will be a problem as the last time I checked blindness was not counted amongst all his many faults.”

Katie laughed and swiped at his arm good-naturedly. “Behave,” she instructed firmly.

Smiling in agreement Oliver tucked her hand into the crook of his arm. “So do you want to go down on time or make him sweat a little?”

Katie grinned wickedly. Leading Oliver over to the chairs Alicia had pushed out of the way earlier, she carefully seated herself. “Well it is traditional for the bride to be a little late…”

***

Marcus was particularly grateful for the cooling potion Severus had pressed on him before they left their rooms. At least he was able to enjoy the feeling of the sun beating down on him without sweltering in his robes while he waited… and waited for Katie to arrive. After watching with equal parts amusement and horror the dramas surrounding the high society wedding that Draco and Ginny had been forced into, he and Katie had decided on something quite different. Once the decision was made that they didn’t want the celebrity wedding everyone seemed to expect of them, things became much simpler. The guest list was limited to close friends only, with Draco and Ginny hosting a much larger celebration in two weeks time for their team-mates, business associates and the like. Today, however, was about being with the people that, regardless of blood ties, Marcus and Katie regarded as family.

Katie had found a small island off the coast of Greece for the ceremony. In the interest of privacy, anti-apparition wards had been set up to deter curious visitors, and a deal negotiated with the prominent wizarding publications for photos to be delivered the day after the wedding. The date of which according to the Prophet was due to take place a week next Tuesday, while Witch Weekly was reporting it had been postponed until Christmas. Any publication that attempted to crash the wedding in the manner of the muggle paparazzi would immediately forfeit not only the negotiated photos, but be barred from any future newsworthy Flint occasions. The thought of being the only publication not carrying photos of Quidditch’s golden couple appeared to be enough to keep them all in line.

Marcus smoothed his hand down his robe and fought the urge to ask for the time again. Ginny and the Weasley wives had arrived a good fifteen minutes ago in a flurry of silk robes, so where the hell had Katie got to? Everyone was just milling around chatting paying no attention at all to his increasing anxiety levels. Marcus jumped slightly as he felt a hand clap down on his shoulder. “Relax Marcus,” Draco instructed. “Brides are always late. It’s just not a proper wedding if the guests don’t have to wait.”

“I could insert a biting comment here about how we had to wait for both the bride and groom at your wedding, but you’re too bloody proud of the fact for it to have any impact.”

Draco couldn’t help but laugh at Marcus’s disgruntled tone. Glancing over his friend’s shoulder he caught a glimpse of blonde hair. “Never fear, old man. It looks like your wait is over; here she comes now.”

Marcus turned back to the steps leading down to the beach. While the others drew to either side to allow Katie and Oliver to draw near, Marcus couldn’t take his eyes off his soon to be wife. Katie had refused to tell him what her dress she had chosen, outside of a few vague hints. She was breathtaking. The cream silk of her robes clung to her body as if she had stepped out of a Grecian frieze. Breaking tradition, Marcus moved away from the celebrant and started walking down the informal aisle towards Katie. Ignoring Wood’s resigned sigh, Marcus gave Katie a gentle smile. “Shall we?”

Katie reached up and gently brushed his hair back. “Yes.”

***

End Fic (well except for the two mini epilogues…)
Mini epilogue 1 by Slythhearted
See Chapter One for disclaimer

****

One year later…

Severus Snape settled himself into the over-stuffed chair provided by St Mungo’s and waited for the overly cheerful nurse to depart. The naturally dour professor shifted the bundle in his arms and looked down with a soft expression that would have struck most of his students as highly unnatural. Hands used to precision potions work shook slightly as the moved the soft wool of the blanket aside from the baby’s face. He brushed a long finger across her cheek, marvelling at the softness of her skin. Unfocused eyes blinked hazily as Elizabeth Marcella Flint looked up at her honorary grandfather for the first time.

“I’m not sure if your father has told you yet, but you are named after your grandmother. It is a big name for you to grow into but I am confident that you can do it. She was a very special lady who would have loved to know you. But I wasn’t fast enough that day to save her, so she is going to have to look down at you from heaven instead.”

Severus looked up as he heard the new father enter the room.

“How is Katie?” he enquired.

Marcus smiled couching down beside his daughter. “She’s sleeping. Elizabeth took a lot out of her.”

“Literally,” came the droll reply.

Marcus laughed softly. “We’ll have our work cut out for us with this one,” he began seriously.

Severus raised an eyebrow in enquiry.

“She is going to be surrounded by bloody Gryffindors all attempting to corrupt her. Wood is already making noises about her playing for Gryffindor in twelve years time.”

“I have no doubt that she will be representing her House by that time,” Severus stated. “With her genes she’ll be a chaser for sure. However, I do not believe she will be taking the field in red and gold.”

Professor Severus Snape, Head of Slytherin House freed his wand and tapped it against the baby blanket. Whispering an incantation, the pink wool pulsed slightly before turning a rich green with tiny silver snakes slithering around the borders in decoration. Marcus started laughing helplessly.

“It is never to early to start building House loyalty,” Severus Snape said firmly.
Mini epilogue 2 by Slythhearted
See Chapter One for the disclaimer

***

Katie Flint sighed under her breath and exchanged a sympathetic look with her daughter. Marcus was busy extolling his daughter to stay clear of all boys who weren’t related to her, to mind her Grandfather, and to not let herself be caught up in one of her Weasley cousins’ pranks. Elizabeth Flint stood there calmly letting her father vent all his worry.

“Daddy, I’ll be fine,” she said soothingly. “I’ll write immediately after the sorting feast to let you know I’m alright. Aden has said he’ll save a seat for me at the Slytherin table.”

“Did I hear my name?” Aden Malfoy sauntered up to the Flint group, the mirror image of his father at the same age. “Hey Cuz, you ready to get on the train?”

Elizabeth grinned at her best friend. This time last year she had been inconsolable when Aden had left for his first year at Hogwarts. Her uncle Draco liked to tease her that he still wasn’t sure who had cried more, Elizabeth or her Aunt Gin. “I’m ready.”

Katie hushed Marcus’s mutter of disagreement. Bending down she wrapped her arms around her eldest daughter’s shoulders. “Just remember honey, everyone gets homesick in the first week. If you feel upset or lonely there are lots of people there to look after you. Your Grandfather has been waiting for eleven years for you to join him at school. Not to mention Aden having to get through last year without you; and if for some reason you end up in Gryffindor or Ravenclaw the Weasleys will look after you.”

Elizabeth smirk was eerily reminiscent of her father, “And what if I end up a ‘Puff?” she teased.

Her mother returned the look wryly. “Honey, there is too much of your father in you to ever be a Hufflepuff. Of that I am completely certain.”

“Enough of this mother-daughter time,” Marcus said firmly. “It’s my turn now.” Bending down Marcus scooped up his daughter in a big bear hug. Elizabeth giggled and buried her face into his neck. “I’ll miss you Lil’beth,” Marcus whispered.

“I’ll miss you too, Daddy.” Elizabeth replied. Being reunited with Aden was one thing, but she was going to miss her daddy terribly. Wrapping her arms tightly around his neck she inhaled his familiar scent, storing it up in her memory.

“Marcus,” Ginny interrupted sympathetically, “the kids really need to get on the train.”

Reluctantly, Marcus returned his daughter to the ground. “Write directly after the feast,” he reminded her.

Elizabeth nodded in agreement and turned to pick up her bag from the ground. Turning she found Aden being given last minute hugs from his parents. Aunt Gin was giving her final instructions to stay out of trouble this year. Elizabeth couldn’t help giggling when Uncle Draco amended that to “Don’t get caught.”

Extracting himself from his parent’s Aden Malfoy caught her eyes, “Come on Elizabeth, let’s find a compartment.”

*******

Elizabeth waited nervously outside the entrance to the main hall. Deputy Headmistress McGonagall had just finished her famous “Your House is Your Family” speech that her father had assured her hadn’t changed in living history. Elizabeth privately agreed with him that there was a definite bias against Slytherin in the speech. Was it really necessary for McGonagall to curl her lip as she said the house name?

She caught the eye of fellow first year Jonathan Weasley and smiled. Although not related by blood, Elizabeth had been around the ever-expanding Weasley brood all her life. With all the red haired children running around Wizarding Britain it would probably be a good twenty years before there wasn’t a Weasley waiting to be sorted on 1 September.

Elizabeth straightened her shoulder as the great doors swung open. She smiled at the exclamations of wonder from the students around her, the ceiling was impressive the first time you saw it, okay she admitted to herself, it was still impressive and she had been coming to Hogwarts to visit her Grandfather all her life. Elizabeth found Aden holding court at the Slytherin table and grinned at him before seeking out her Grandfather at the Head table.

“Alcott, Melissa” …

“Bones, Amelia” …

“Butterworth, Jacob” …

Elizabeth let her mind wander until her name was called, politely applauding as each student was sorted.

“Flint, Elizabeth.”

Elizabeth tried not to flinch as the hat grabbed at her head.

“Now Miss Flint where to put you?” the Hat mused.

“Are you open to advice?” she asked silently.

The Hat seemed slightly startled at that. Elizabeth decided to take the silence as agreement. “Well my grandfather is only a couple of feet away from here and if you even think about putting me into Hufflepuff your days of being a talking hat are over. However, on the positive side your career as a rag in the potions classroom may just be beginning”

There was silence for a moment in the hall, until finally the Hat managed to choke out, “Slytherin!”

***

The real end.
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=1237