Saying Goodbye by Tigereyes320
Summary: From the Dragon Prince Flame Princess universe, Draco and his family have to say goodbye to Lucius.
Categories: Completed Short Stories Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 5735 Read: 4133 Published: Oct 14, 2004 Updated: Oct 14, 2004

1. one shot by Tigereyes320

one shot by Tigereyes320
p { margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 1px } body { font-family: "Times New Roman", serif; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal }

Saying Goodbye

by tigereyes320

Disclaimer: All Harry Potter characters belong to JK Rowling. And the various Presses that release it. Doesn’t in any way shape or form belong to me

A/N Thanks again to beta PhoenixRae. Constructive criticism only to tigereyes320@hotmail.com These two characters have ALWAYS been my favorite. This is an out-take from my fic The Dragon Prince and the Flame Princess. This is when the family says goodbye to Lucius. I just had to write about the day he died and how different it is from what we know it will be in canon. I also have to thank echo (AGAIN!!) for Absolutely Spiffing without which I would never have had my story to base on. The Lyrics are not mine.

The second generation

Allison married Roderick Wood (Butterfly Kisses) ten years ago and they have four children: Emma 8, Drake and Olivia 6, John 4.

Nicholas married Lily Potter ten years ago and they also have four children James and Lucien 9, Ginevra (Neva) 7, Juliet 5.

Shannon married Sirius Lupin six years ago and they have three children: Remus and Jarrett 5, Zora 3.

Jason married Aileen ( a muggle) four years ago and they have two children: Patricia 3, Rianna 1.

 

****************** One day around noon ***********************

 

“Draco!"

“I’m in the den, Ginny."

“Your mother just owled us, your father is asking for you and the children.”

 

“Ginny. . .”

“Draco, it’s time. We need to go now. I already owled the children and they will meet us there.”

“Ginny, he’s only 78 years old .”

“He’s ready to let go."

 

Draco took his cloak from Ginny, he took some floo powder and threw some into the fireplace. “Malfoy Manor,” he shouted as Ginny and he stepped into the flames.

When they stepped out, Draco saw his children and the rest of his extended family waiting for them.

“Daddy." All four of his girls came forward to hug him

Draco took comfort in holding on to his girls.

“Your mother is upstairs with your father, Draco," said Harry. “She said to go up when you get here. “

 

Draco walked up the stairs with Ginny by his side. In all the trips he’d made up these stairs he couldn’t remember the staircase ever being so long or lonely before.

 

“Darling," Narcissa said as they walked into the sitting room.

 

“Mother," said Draco as he kissed her cheek in welcome.

“He’s been asking for you and Ginny. And he then he wants to see each of the grandchildren.”

 

Draco took Ginny’s hand and went into the bedroom that had been his father’s home since the second stroke had hit him two years before. He could still speak, and move around but he had essentially been bedridden since the last stroke happened. His grandchildren had been known to be constant visitors in this room especially since the great grandchildren had begun arriving.

“Father?“

“Draco is Ginny with you?"

 

“I’m here too father," said Ginny as she sat on the left side of his bed. “All the children are downstairs they love you very much."

“I’m glad you’re both here. You know, when a man is about to die he looks back on his life and wonders what we would have done differently. I don’t know how much of my life I would change though.”

“Why would you not change anything Lucius?”

“Because, if I’d change too many things in my past you and Draco may not have ever found each other. I may not have had my grandchildren. You have done this family proud Ginevra. I can think of no finer woman, except my wife, who has worn the name Malfoy quite so well.”

Ginny’s eyes welled up with tears. “I love you too Lucius. You could have tried to make my life miserable after you found out about the twins. You didn’t, you welcomed all of us. You have been a good father-in-law and a wonderful grandfather.”

“I have put money aside for Marissa, David, and Ronnie’s wedding gifts. You are to make sure that they know the gifts are from me.”

Ginny, when she heard that, her tear’s began to fall. “You know Marissa will be very disappointed. She’s so wants you there for her big day. And all of your great grandchildren just adore their Papa Lucius.”

“I’ve lived long enough to see not only my son happily married, but most of my grandchildren happily married with children of their own. My one regret used to be that I did not have a daughter. I realize now that I have no need to regret that any longer.”

“Why’s that?"

 

“I’ve had the extreme honor of calling you that from almost 30 years. No daughter of my blood could have been a better one then you have been to me.”

 

“Thank you father. I’ve enjoyed calling you my father as well. I couldn’t miss you more then if you were my own father."

“You promise you will take good care of my son and my wife? “

“Of course I will. But for right now and I’m going to leave and let you and Draco have a few minutes alone.” Ginny leaned over and after squeezing his hand, kissed him on the cheek. After rising she rose and kissed her husband’s cheek she left the bedroom .

“Draco, come and sit a bit closer. I don’t have to tell you that you have an incredible wife do I ?"

 

“No, you don’t, I know that very well Father.”

“I never really appreciated your mother, not until we thought we had lost you. All the power in the world couldn’t bring you back. But it wasn’t worth it not without you and your mother there to share it with me. I should have told you years ago how very proud I am of the man you have a become. You are a far better man than I have ever been.”

“No, I’m not, father."

“Yes, you are, Draco. You stood in the face of opposition for your convictions. You found a woman who loves and stands beside you. She fights your battles with you. You have a family that adores you. I wish it hadn’t taken so long for us to get where you are with your children.”

 

“You know, father, as much as they love you, you’re not sounding very Slytherin right now.”

“A Slytherin is ambitious. My ambition right now is to let the people I care about know how much they mean to me. I need you to tell Marissa, David, and Ronnie that I’m sorry that I won’t be there for their weddings. Do not allow Marissa to delay her wedding for any reason. She is to go ahead as planned and get married in two weeks.”

Draco nodded in agreement, “They’re all downstairs, they want to see you as soon as you’re up to it.”

“You can let them come up. I’d like to be able to say goodbye to them. Are the Weasleys the here yet?”

 

“Yes, Ginny’s whole family is here. So are McGonagall and Snape. All of the Potters are here and Dumbledore is on his way.”

“Have the children come in . I am getting tired, but I want to see them all. When the children come up have them bring my grandchildren with them. What I have to say is important.”

“Of course father."

 

“You’ve made the Malfoy name one to be proud of again Son, I do love you."

“It has been a privilege being your son. I love you as well father. I don’t want you to worry, Ginny and I will take very good care of Mother.”

“I have no doubt of that,” Lucius said with a smirk.

“The children will be up momentarily.”

“Thank you.”

Draco stepped out of the room feeling a lot older then his fifty-two years. Ginny was sitting on a chaise waiting for him. “Let’s go tell them.”

Draco and Ginny walked downstairs. He looked at the faces of their children. He saw their worry. “He wants to see all of you. He needs to say goodbye.”

"Daddy, no! Grandfather’s gonna be fine. He promised he was going to be at my wedding, that’s only two weeks from now.”

Draco put his arms around Marissa and held on tight. “Marissa, he won’t be able to be there. The medi-witches have confirmed it. He isn’t going to make it through the night. Your wedding will go on as planned in two weeks. Your grandfather won’t even hear of it being delayed for the traditional morning period. He wants to see you so why don’t you go up with your brothers and sisters and say goodbye to him. You need to do this for him.”

Marissa nodded her head and follow her siblings up the staircase to his bedroom.

 

“Draco, dear, is there anything that we can do for you?" Molly Weasley asked gently.

 

“He wants to see you and dad after the children. Maybe you can light a fire under the house elves and make sure there’s plenty of tea and food for everyone as they arrive.”

“Of course, dear, Bill, Charlie, Fred, and George, why don’t you set up the buffet in the dining room and begin putting the platters of food on it. Fleur, Laura, Angelina, and Alicia, you for can help me in the kitchen making tea and making sure that there’s plenty of food for everyone. Draco, why don’t you and Ginny take your mother into her parlor and stay with her. I’ll be up soon with a spot of tea.”

Katie stepped forward and they left, “Draco, I was to let you know Percy is ready to make any announcement you deem fitting, when you want him to. “

“Thanks,, Katie. I will write something up as soon as I can think straight."

“Draco, why don’t Ron, Harry, Julianna, and I go into your father’s study and start organizing all the messages and gifts that had been arriving.” Hermione volunteered. Having lost her own father a year, she knew thinking about as little as possible made all the difference in the world.

“That would be very helpful , Hermione. Thank you. Professors, you are welcome to join us in the parlor or if you prefer the patio outside has a lovely view. Mum, why don’t you have the rest of the children, grandchildren, and the great grandchildren play around outside. If they want to play quidditch it’s fine. It will keep our minds occupied in the meantime. Get the house elves to clean some of the guestrooms, I have a feeling it’s going to be a very long night."

“Mr. Malfoy," Professor McGonagall said kindly, “Why don’t we have Severus fetch your mother and we will all sit in the parlor and have a nice cup of tea.”

“Of course professor, after you," Ginny said holding on tight to Draco’s hand.

 

******************* Meanwhile in Lucius’s bedroom ******************************

Allison was sitting on the bed with her four children. Nick was in one of the chairs with his children. Shannon, Jason, Marissa, David, Nate, and Ronnie were in various chairs and sofas around the huge room .

“I hope all of you know how proud I am of all of you. Allison and Nick, you two were gifts from God. Ones I did not deserve. You two saved me in a way you will never know. To know that you two are happy means everything to me. My will of course has already been written out and filed with the proper authorities but I wanted each of you to know what I’ve left you. I will start with the eldest of you; Ally, I’m leaving you my extensive library of books, the only exception will be if there is a particular book your father or grandmother wants. You’re an incredible writer and you should continue with it. I know it will be in very good hands with you.”

Allison's tears overflowed. “Thank you, Grandfather I will enjoy it forever. It’s very generous of you."

“Nick, I want you to have all of my quidditch memorabilia, it is an extensive collection. I also want you to have my desk and chair from the library. We spend many an afternoon there when you were younger just talking.”

“Thank you, grandfather, the time I spent with you there meant a great deal to me as well.”

“Shannon and Jason, the two artists in the family. I’m giving you two my art collection to do with as you see fit. I have set aside a few pieces of it for your grandmother, the rest are yours. Shannon, I’m also forgiving the business loan, against your design house it’s yours now free and clear. Jason, I’m giving to you my favorite walking cane and any my jewelry that I have not set aside for your father.”

“Thank you, grandfather," said Jason humbly.

“It means a lot to us grandfather that you trust us with this," Shannon added.

“Marissa and David, you’re the two that are more like the Malfoys of the past than either of your parents would like to admit. That’s not necessarily a bad thing and I’m leaving to you the interest that I have left in Malfoy Enterprises. David, you’ll be getting sixty percent of my shares. Marissa, you’ll receive the remaining forty. Now Marissa, before you say that’s not a fair division, you’re getting something a little extra which is why I gave the higher percentage to David. This was supposed to be your wedding gift but I’m going to give it to you now. I am leaving Malfoy Manor to you."

“Grandfather, no!"

“Yes. You have always loved this Manor, Marissa. The guest cottage, I know, how can a ten room building be considered a cottage, is to be your grandmother’s home as long as she wants it to be.”

Marissa nodded mutely.

“Nathaniel, my youngest grandson, you have been wandering the world, wondering what exactly to do with your life. In my will I have given you a choice of three companies; pick the one that you feel an affinity with. If you can turn the company around within one year and have it in the black, the company’s yours. If you don’t, then you have to work at the company another year before you can leave. You are the most like your mother’s family, I don’t mean that in a bad way but you do need a bit of direction. I am certain that you will rise to this challenge like the man and the Malfoy that you are.”

“I promise that I won’t disappoint you, grandfather."

“You have never, none of you have ever disappointed me. Now I come to my angel.”

“Yes, grandfather?"

 

“I have no idea where you came across that voice. I understand there’s quite a demand for your music but there is no music label that will support it. So I made arrangements for you to have your own label and your father can help you get people in place to run while you record your music. I also have a favor to ask of you. I would like you to sing two songs at my memorial service. I will leave the song choice up to you and they can even have been written by Muggles.”

“Grandfather, I don’t want to do this. I don’t want you to die. I’m not ready, none of us are.”

“Angel girl, I don’t want to die, but I have lived well. I I have been lucky enough to see not only my son grow up and have a family, but to see his children grow up and have children of their own. The Malfoy fortune is immense and for once the honor and respect that we have always commanded is freely given. I want each and everyone of you to know how so very proud I am of each of you and I do love you all. If the measure of a man is made by those who love him, then I truly am a very rich man. Now I’m sure you want to spend some time with your parents so why don’t you guys go downstairs and spend sometime with your grandmother who would love to see all of you."

The children rose from where they were seated, and each one went by their grandfather’s bed to kiss him goodbye. They then made their way downstairs to the rest of the family.

              

“Hello, dears. Allison and Nick, why don’t you let the children go outside to play with their cousins. Your parents are with your grandmother in the parlor. There is plenty of food in the dining room table in case you are hungry.”

“Thanks, Grandmum," Nick said as he kissed her cheek. “Grandfather wants to see you and grandpa.”

“We will go right up and see him. Arthur?”

“Yes, love?” Arthur paused from taking a taste of the stew his wife had just placed in front of him.

“Lucius wants to speak with both of us.”

“We’ll go straight up.” Arthur wiped his mouth with his napkin, stood and took his wife’s hand.

It didn’t take but a few moments to reach the bedroom.

“Lucius, the children said you wanted to see us."

“Yes I did. We share some incredible grandchildren and great grandchildren don’t we?”

“Yes, we do."

 

“I have a favor to ask. I need you to be there for Narcissa once I’m gone. Draco will try to be there but they will both need help. Draco has his Ginny and she will be the one to help him most through this. I never thought I would say this and mean it, but I truly envy you, Arthur. You’ll get to see the rest of my grandchildren grow up and get married and you will be the one who will be there when more great grandchildren are born to us.”

“It would be our pleasure, Lucius, to help Narcissa however she needs us. You know I didn’t believe you had really changed. But I saw how well you treated Ginny when you discovered she was pregnant, when you thought it was over, and how much you love the the twins. Not many men would have been able to do what you did. You risked everything when you did what you did.”

“I guess I wanted to think my son could for once have been proud of his father, not because I demanded respect because of what my name was, but because I did the right thing.”

“Lucius, Draco has great respect for you and he loves you. Arthur and I will be more than happy to look out for Narcissa and Draco, you’re all part of our family."

“Arthur, under my desk there is a secret compartment. Inside are directions to a vault at Gringotts. Do whatever you to have to with what you find in it. You can do with it as you see fit.”

“All right."

“Molly, I have a special present for your and Arthur’s anniversary that I know you’ll be celebrating next month. In my study, there’s a large flat package. It’s actually quite huge, I hope you’ll be able to find room for it and that you’ll enjoy it.”

“Lucius, you know of course that we will enjoy whatever gift you’ve given us. Arthur and I will take our leave now and let you get some needed rest.”

“Would you please send Narcissa back upstairs. Arthur, I need you to do one more thing for me, at Marissa and Ronnie’s weddings, could you do me a favor and dance an extra dance with them for me.”

“Of course I will, Lucius. It’s been an honor getting to know the man you have lately become.”

“I never thought I would say this, but it has been an equal honor knowing that your family is tied to mine. Will you stay until it’s over?”

“We’ll say as long as we’re needed here.”

“Thank you.”

“We’ll send Narcissa up as soon as possible.”

“Thank you, I seem to be saying that a lot today. Narcissa and I need to spend a little time alone.”

“Of course you do, there is fresh tea downstairs. Would you like me to have the house elves bring some up to you and Narcissa?”

“No, not right now," Lucius said as he closed his eyes for a moment.

A few moments later he smelled her perfume and she entered the bedroom. “Hello my love,” Lucius said as he grabbed a hand with his good one and brought it to his lips and kissed it. “Lay down beside me for few moments.”

Narcissa and got into bed beside her husband and rested her head on his shoulder.

“We did good, didn’t we, Narcissa?"

“We did very well, my love.”

“You know as much as I will miss our family, I’ll miss holding you most of all.”

“Me too.”

“I do have one regret.”

“What’s that?"

“That it took us so long to get where Draco and Ginny began.”

“We had what we thought we wanted until the day we thought we’d lost what held us together to begin with. We began again the day we accepted Ginny as a part of our family and as the mother of our grandchildren.”  

“I have told the grandchildren what they can expect to be left in my will. I will miss them so much. I want you to know. . .”

“It’s all right, darling, we have no need to talk about anything. I just want to lie here next to you.”

“Narcissa?"

“Yes?”

“If I haven’t said it lately, I do love you and I thank you for everything you have given me over the years.”

“I love you, and you’re welcome. Now close your eyes, it’s time for you to rest.”

“All right.”

They lay there in the bed holding each other as the last rays of sunlight gradually faded. When the last sunray disappeared, Narcissa felt Lucius breath his last breath. She stayed there for a few minutes, tears rolling down her still lovely face. She then rose and put his arm down by his side. “Thank you for all you gave to me. I will miss you greatly. When next we see each other, I’m sure I will have lots to tell you about all your grandchildren and great grandchildren.”

Narcissa made her way downstairs where everyone was now in the dining room. When Draco saw his mother enter into the room, he asked, “Mother?”

Narcissa smiled as the tears began to fall again. “Your father passed away in his sleep a few moments ago. You are now the head of the family.”

Draco drew his mother into his arms as he heard Ginny softly sob beside him. Draco felt as if a chasm had opened up inside of himself and he had no idea how to cross it. “Mother, what do you need me to do?”

“Well, we have to call St. Mongo’s so they can do what they need to do. Normally the family's personal Physician would be able to sign the certificate . But your father’s Physician passed away a month ago. Your father left very precise instructions.”

“We found them, Narcissa, would you like us to start making the calls?” Hermione asked as her own eyes were red with tears.

“Yes, I would appreciate that.”

“Narcissa, why don’t you come with me and have a bit of a lie in. Arthur and I can stay with you tonight. All right?”

“Thank you Molly, I would appreciate that,” Narcissa said as she allowed herself to be led off to another room.

“Okay, everybody, let’s get all of these children home and to bed as we have a lot of owls to write,” Ginny said determinedly.

“Gin, we got that pretty much taking care of; they’re just waiting for signature,” Ron said as he put his arm around his sister.”

“Then let’s get them out the door. Katie, if you can let Percy know, we will need him to make an announcement.”

In less than an hour Ginny was alone with Draco.

“He’s gone, Flame.”

“I know, Dragon. You’re gonna need to rest and you’ll also need to give yourself time to grieve.”

“No, right now, I just need the strength to get through the next few days.”

********************* A few days later... ***************************

Veronica stood in front of the chapel in the sliver blue robes her grandfather had given her on her last birthday.

I read a note my grandma wrote back in nineteen twenty-three. Grandpa kept it in his coat, and he showed it once to me. He said,

"boy, you might not understand, but a long, long time ago, Grandma's daddy didn't like me none, but i loved your grandma so." We had this crazy plan to meet and run away together, Get married in the first town we came to, and live forever. But nailed to the tree where we were supposed to meet, instead Of her, I found this letter, and this is what it said: If you get there before I do, don't give up on me. I'll meet you when my chores are through; I don't know how long I'll be. But i'm not gonna let you down, darling, wait and see. And between now and then, till I see you again, I'll be loving you. love, me. I read those words just hours before my grandma passed away, In the doorway of a church where me and grandpa stopped to pray. I know I'd never seen him cry in all my fifteen years; But as he said these words to her, his eyes filled up with tears. If you get there before I do, don't give up on me. I'll meet you when my chores are through; I don't know how long I'll be. But i'm not gonna let you down, darling, wait and see. And between now and then, till I see you again, I'll be loving you. love, me. Between now and then, till I see you again, I'll be loving you. love, me.

Veronica went and sat down with her family after singing 'Love, Me', a song by Collin Raye and waited alongside her siblings as her father made his way to the front of the church to begin his speech.

Draco stood in front of the audience. “You know, when I was young, I was quite the character, I thought that my father’s money and position in society is what would speak well for him. I held that belief for several years, until I met my wife actually. As I stare out into all of the faces that are here today to pay their respects to my father, some people that are here are ones that I never thought would be here voluntarily. My father’s measure is no longer calculated by the amount of money in his many vaults, but by the amount of people whose lives he touched. My father and I were estranged for years because of the choices that we made, and the fact that they thought I was dead. My parents opened their lives and hearts to the mother of my children. My father became my hero again when I came back, and I realized that he did the right thing as opposed to doing the easy thing and faced up to all of his past mistakes. The Ministry was kind enough to pardon him for his past errors, and my father worked very hard to make restitution to those harmed by his past deeds. He showed me that a man that makes a mistake but learns and grows from it, is what truly makes a man.

“My best memories of my father is of him playing with all of my children, his very beloved grandchildren. He considered all of my in-laws' grandchildren part of his family as well. I will always remember the way he looked when his first great grandchildren were put in his arms. I was blessed to share that day with him. Lucius Malfoy could never be considered perfect, but he became a very good man. A man I am so proud I have been able to call father. He will live on in the memories of all the men and women whose lives he was a part of."

“He is survived by; his loving wife, my mother, Narcissa Black Malfoy, myself, my wife Ginevra Molly Weasley Malfoy, our children, Allison, Nicholas, Shannon, Jason, and their spouses, Marissa, David, Nathaniel, and Veronica, and his great grandchildren James, Lucien, Emma , Ginevra, Drake , Olivia , Juliet, Remus, Jarrett, John, Patricia, Zora, and Rianna. We were all the icing on his cake. We will always love him. We will always miss him. We will continue the new tradition of the Malfoys and make him proud of our accomplishments. We’ll end with another song sung by his granddaughter, Veronica who has chosen 'There you’ll be' by Martina MacBride, a well known muggle.”

 

There you are in the early light of day. There you are in the quiet words. I pray I've been blessed by the simple happiness Of the perfect love we've made Every time I turn around When I'm lost and when I'm found Like an angel standing guard There you are Every time I take a breath And when I forget to breathe You're watching over me There you are When I'm looking for the light In the middle of the night Searching for the brightest star There you are There you are standing in a crowded room There you are the earth and i'm the moon My desire is to stand by the fire That burns inside of you

Every time I turn around When I'm lost and when I'm found

Like an angel standing guard There you are Every time I take a breath And when I forget to breathe You're watching over me There you are When I'm looking for the light In the middle of the night Searching for the brightest star There you are

 

When I'm looking for the light In the middle of the night Searching for the brightest star There you are

 

There you are

 

There you are

 

Later that night, when everyone had gone home, and Ginny and Draco were in bed, Ginny drew Draco’s head down to her breast and held him tight. “Darling, you need to grieve, it’s time to let it go.”

Draco felt Ginny’s fingers run through his hair and he slowly let the tears begin to fall.”

The End

This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=1418