A Friendship to Last a Lifetime by Dracos hottie
Summary: Ginny Weasley had always thought that the Weasleys and the Malfoys had been enemies for a long time. That's what her parents told her. That's what she believed, until one day she found evidence contrary to that. Now she must decide what to do with her new found information.
Categories: Works in Progress Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1284 Read: 2754 Published: Dec 06, 2004 Updated: Dec 06, 2004

1. Prologue by Dracos hottie

Prologue by Dracos hottie
Disclaimer: I don’t own anything except the plot.
A/N: A special thank you to my beta, Aliya.

Prologue

It was a bright, sunny day in Ottery St. Catchpole, perfect for playing outside. That was exactly what a certain five year old, flame-haired girl and her best friend, a pale-haired six year old, were doing. This particular girl's name was Ginevra Molly Weasley, called simply, Ginny. Her companion answered to the name of Draco Malfoy, and had been her best friend for as long as she could remember. Before she was old enough to play, Draco had played with her older brother, Ron, who was the same age as Draco. Once she had been old enough, Ginny had begun to play with them; Ron hadn't liked that idea so he'd begun to hang around with their other older twin brothers, Fred and George.
At the moment, Draco and Ginny were sitting in the middle of the Burrow's lawn, eating lunch. The Burrow was the name used for the Weasleys' house. Once they had finished their lunch, they started a game of tag. After a few minutes, all of Ginny's six brothers had joined in.

*~*~*~*

Hours later, when everyone else had gone inside, Draco and Ginny sat in the grass, watching the sunset. They were waiting for Draco's parents to arrive. They sat in silence for a while, not needing any words. That's when they heard the yelling. It was coming from inside the house. "That sounds like my dad," Draco commented after a moment.
Ginny nodded in agreement. "He sounds angry," she observed.
The yelling got louder, and all they make out was, "My son will no longer be associating with trash like you and your children." It had been Lucius Malfoy, Draco's father that was yelling.
Draco and Ginny looked at each other with wide eyes. There parents were best friends, they had been since they went to Hogwarts, they never yelled at each other.
"Draco," Ginny whispered worriedly. "What's going on? What's going to happen?"
"I don't know," Draco replied. "but if my daddy is serious, we might never see each other again."
"They can't do that! That's not fair!" Ginny yelled indignantly, she hadn't quite understood the meaning of Lucius's words until Draco had said that.
"I know, but, Ginny, no matter what happens, we'll be best friends forever," he told her solemnly.
Ginny smiled at his words and nodded sincerely. "I'd never stop being your friend, I promise," she agreed. Then she stood up and flung herself at him, giving him a big hug. At first, he was stiff with horror and surprise, but after a few seconds, he returned the hug with just as much enthusiasm.

*~*~*~*

They were outside a half an hour later when Mrs. Weasley came out to call them in. Draco and Ginny stood up and obediently followed Mrs. Weasley inside. They were then told to sit on the couch. Lucius stepped forward and commanded, "Come, Draco, we're leaving." With that he grabbed his son and his wife, and they Apparated away.
"Mommy, what's going on?" the small girl whimpered.
"You won't be playing with Draco anymore," her father, Arthur, informed her.
"Why not?" Ginny exclaimed.
"Draco's parents and Mommy and I had a fight," Arthur explained
"About what?" Ginny asked curiously.
"Fred and George played a trick on them, and they got mad. Then we got into a big fight," Molly, her mother, replied.
"Why can't I see Draco anymore?" Ginny asked in small voice.
"Because we are no longer going to associate with any Malfoys," her father answered. "Now, I'm going to cast a spell so you won't remember hanging out with Draco, you'll think it was Ron the whole time. Now, sit still." Then, before Ginny could move, Arthur whipped out his wand. He then cast the spell that wiped Draco Malfoy from his daughter's memory.

*~*~*~*

Meanwhile, in another part of Britain, Draco was hearing similar things from his parents. Apparently, Fred and George, who were notorious pranksters, had placed a bucket of paint over the fireplace so it would fall onto the next person who came through it. That person had just happened to be Narcissa Malfoy, wearing brand new designer robes, which were now ruined. Draco didn't understand why his mother didn't just magic the paint away. It seemed so simple to him, but Narcissa had said it was permanent paint. He wasn't exactly sure what that meant, but figured it had to mean that using magic wouldn't work to get it off.
So, after much discussion and protests from Draco, his father took out his wand and cast the spell that would erase Ginny Weasley from his son's memory. Draco had not let that take place without a fight though. He had screamed and cried, kicked and hit, but nothing had deterred his father. In the end, he ended up with the same fate as Ginny. Whenever he thought of time passed, he remembered himself playing with Pansy Parkinson, the daughter of good friends of the Malfoys.

*~*~*~*

During the next few days, there was much tension in the Weasley house. Arthur had modified the memories of all his children. He didn't feel right doing it, but knew it had to be done. Ginny would have been devastated if they had let her remember Draco for much longer. It saddened him that the Malfoys had reacted so strongly to the twin's prank, but knew that sometimes his sons did go a little far with their jokes. They didn't quite know where to stop.
During the past few days, Ginny noticed a difference in her parents. They looked unhappy, and whenever someone mentioned the name Malfoy, they got all jumpy. Being the five year old that she was, she hadn't pinpointed exactly what was causing them to get jumpy, but her older brothers had. She had heard them talking about it just yesterday. She didn't know what was going on. The Malfoys had always been a part of their lives. She had been learning to hate them ever since she could remember. What was making them jumpy now?

*~*~*~*

At Malfoy Manor, Draco went on with life as usual, or what he thought was usual. He played with Pansy Parkinson everyday. She seemed a little more annoying than usual, but he decided that it was just his imagination. Draco, being the astute six year old that he was, noticed that every time someone mentioned the name Weasley, his parents faces froze over. He knew that they hated the Weasleys. They always had, and they taught Draco to hate them also. Ever since he was little he had learned that they were Muggle-loving trash, and he was not supposed to associate with them. He agreed to this early. After all, he probably wouldn't meet a Weasley until he started school, and that wouldn’t be for some time.
What Draco didn't understand was that whenever people came over lately, they always asked about the Weasleys. He didn't get it. Everyone knew that the Malfoys hated the Weasleys, they had for years, but they were always asking about them. Why would a Malfoy know anything about a Weasley?


A/N: Don’t forget to review and tell me what you think of my story so far. Is it a good or is it a stupid idea? Tell me what you think. The rest of the chapters will be longer than this.
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=1762