Every Other Friday Afternoon by sister_d
Summary: Ginny wants an afternoon off, and her boss thinks that might be a good idea.
Categories: Completed Short Stories Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 4445 Read: 3546 Published: Jan 21, 2005 Updated: Jan 21, 2005

1. Every Other Friday Afternoon by sister_d

Every Other Friday Afternoon by sister_d
Disclaimer: I own nothing. I write fluff. No apologies.

~~~~~~~~~~
Ginny's POV

Draco Malfoy has never been my idea of a perfect man. I certainly didn't think so back at school, and in dealing with him as an adult, I find him to be only a little less annoying than when he was an arrogant teenager.

Oh, I know, the women swoon over his striking good looks, his elegant manner, his loaded Gringott's vaults. Even I find it difficult to resist the charming smile, sexy voice and silver eyes, especially when he comes to me to request an appointment with my father. As personal assistant to the Minister of Magic, it's my job to keep my father's days free from mundane clutter and the many hangers-on who try to manipulate and occupy his time. As a woman, it's hard to say no to one of the most powerful businessmen in our world, dead-sexy and charming at all times.

Ugh! Just when I think I'm done being a foolish schoolgirl (think Ginny luvs Harry, Ginny luvs Michael, Ginny luvs Draco), then he comes strolling in here to speak to my father and my knees just go jelly. Hmph, you'd think at 25 I'd be a little more feminist than that.

Draco is never more than charming, though, so I end up shoving down whatever vague feelings I have and give him whatever time he needs. My dad is always happy to see Draco, for some reason, although I think it's partly becasue he never wastes Dad's time, like a lot of other people.

One particular morning, though, Draco called the office and unexpectedly asked to see me, not my father. Curious and, silly me, eager to see and be seen with the Malfoy heir, I asked him to lunch and we made plans to meet that Friday.

~~~~~~~~~~
Draco's POV

Ginevra Weasley is bossy and beautiful. She's always been that way, ever since Hogwarts, and I can only guess she gets it from her mother. Her father, the Minister of Magic, is an agreeable sort, not easily manipulated, but very good at the politics of his job. It goes without saying that my dealings with the minister are business-like and to the point. We've agreed that I am not my father, and I strive to prove that fact to the man who helped me establish myself after the war.

His daughter, however, drives me up a nut. She's Arthur's PA, a very efficient one, I might add, as seemingly unmoved by the Malfoy Charm. I learned early on, even before I left school, that Ginny was no ordinary woman, and being no ordinary man myself, I want to meet the challenge she presents. Aruthur, a shrewd man beneath a genial manner, got himself the smartest witch in our world to be his assistant, and I know that to work well with him, I have to work through his daughter.

Her beauty affects me, though, and it embarrasses me to say so. I don't think she knows her power over the opposite sex. Her russet curls, her seven little freckles, her hazel eyes that a man could drown in - Malfoy, get ahold of yourself, man! I saw the boys of my year flock to her as she matured, only to be rebuffed by her queenly manner, or her over-protective brother. I waited all my seventh year for an opportunity that never came, and she never knew.

Okay, enough maudlin reminiscing. I had so much to do after the War, after I chose and fought for the Light. The Golden Trio hesitated to accept me, and treated me the same way they treated Severus Snape, who died to save the Mudblood. I did what I had to do, though, and ignored the lot of them. Arthur Weasley saw, and Dumbeldore, and others, so my service didn't go unnoticed. I was content with my small honors. Yes, I said small, and yes, I said I was content. Without a mother or father to share them with, anything else would have been odious and burdensome.

But now my biggest challenge is the beautiful woman in the front office of the Ministry of Magic and how to tell her a secret only her family and I know, for now. It's not a terrible secret (getting hard at the sight of her not withstanding), but problematic all the same. When I called to ask for a meeting, she surprisingly asked me to lunch, and I accepted, eager in more ways than one to spend time with her.


~~~~~~~~~~

Ginny Weasley finished up the pile of work on her desk, poked her head into her father’s office to say goodbye, and left for the day. She took every other Friday afternoon off, not minding the short paycheck, because she needed time once in awhile to regroup and reenergize. Her father loved her, and didn’t mind a bit - he worried his job and hers might put a strain on their family relationship.

This fine Spring afternoon, Ginny was also on her way to her lunch date (meeting, Ginny, meeting) with Draco Malfoy. She wandered along Diagon Alley, looking in the shop windows and wondering what Malfoy wanted.

She stopped at the flower stall and buried her nose in a large bouquet, inhaling the mingled scent of sweet and fresh. A chuckle behind her brought her face to face with Draco, who had been following her for awhile without her knowledge. A smirk from Ginny was all it took for Draco to buy the largest bunch of flowers for her, and they headed toward the café in relative silence.

Draco held out Ginny's chair for her, and before the silence could get awkward, spoke. "I suppose you're wondering why I wanted to meet with you."

Ginny, trying to remain business-like (he bought me flowers!) replied quickly. "Yes, well, I assume it's something you can't discuss with my father, so here I am, spit it out."

(Bossy Gryffindor!) thought Draco, and immediately stiffened (not hardened) into arrogant businessman mode. "Hardly. I suppose dicussing a job offer with you wouldn't go over well with your current employer, although he seems to like me." Draco smiled with satisfaction as he watched Ginny's face change from serious to confused.

"A job offer? What do you mean? I'm perfectly happy being my father's assistant, and unless I'm very much mistaken, I'm in no danger of being fired. What's this really about?" In fact, Ginny had been looking for a way to tell her dad she wanted to quit and find something, anything, else to do, but she wasn't going to let Malfoy know that.

"I'm not going to beg you, Weasley, it's just a job offer. I need to replace my secretary, and you seem to be the best I can find. You must know your father's thinking of stepping down." This was more shocking than the first.

"Wha-a-a-t?" Ginny growled, as the impact of the statement hit her. Draco sighed.

"Look, I see Arthur almost every week. We talk about more than Ministry business, you know. He's done what he feels he needed to do, and with Blaise Zabini's older brother Balen ready and willing to step into his shoes, your dad's decided it's time to retire. He knows you don't want to stay," he paused for a moment to see her reaction, "and he asked me if knew anyone who might be able to use your skills. Being the selfish bastard I am, I decided to see if I could keep you myself." Draco stopped this long speech and took a long pull at the butterbeer in front of him.

Ginny automatically sipped hers, stunned by the news about her father (and I had to hear it from Malfoy), but intrigued by the idea of working directly for the Slytherin Sex God. After a few moments, she spoke again.

"I had no idea. But why would he tell you before he told us, his family?"

"It would seem that Molly and the boys already know," he said, not looking her in the eye.

"You mean to tell me not one of my brothers, or my own father and mother were going to inform me of this until it was a done deal? How dare they treat me like a baby! What did they think I would do, beg him to stay? Cry? Collapse?" Draco eyed her flushed features, trying to keep the amusement off his own face. He let her work herself into a fury (Gods, she's beautiful when she's angry).

Ginny forced herself to calm down quickly. She might have sounded hysterical, but she wasn't really. Her family would always treat her like the baby, something she usually didn't mind, and as she took a deep breath she realized her father knew her better than she thought. She pinned Draco with a steely eye.

"What bet did you lose, that they made you tell me?" she asked.

"Oh, the one where I said I was devastatingly handsome and Ron said I was devilishly charming. Wait, those are both true!" Draco smiled winningly at her, but she just stuck her tongue out at him.

"Okay, okay, I get it. You want me to come work for you, make your life easier instead of mine, and generally thank you for taking in a poor out-of-work thing like me."

"Something like that. I'll tell you this, though, you'll have much more fun with me than you would with your father's replacement and the rest of the Ministry twerps. I travel often, and I like to have my assistant at my beck and call."

(Ooh, Ginny, faraway lands with Draco Malfoy. Could it get any better? STOP THAT! You don't know what you're thinking!) Ginny cocked her head to the side and contemplated. She didn't want to make this too easy for him.

"Alright, I'll do it, but I have a request, if you don't mind."

"Do tell."

"Well, I like my every other Friday afternoon off. I don't mind not getting paid for it, because I know it's something I need. But I want it."

"What if I need you for something important?"

"Maybe nothing's more important than my every other Friday afternoon."

Draco just looked at her. (She's sexy when she's fired up. Stop, Draco, focus) "Okay, but I have a condition as well. On your every other Friday afternoon, I get to take you to lunch before you leave me stranded for the rest of the day."

Ginny smiled brilliantly, stuck out her hand and said "Deal". She and Draco shook on it and spent the rest of lunch working out the details.

~~~~~~~~~~

So it began. Ginny, being a no-nonsense type, took over as Draco's personal assitant, and made the office hum. Her co-workers were surprised at first with the rapport she seemed to have with Mr. Malfoy, ordering him around, often less politely than she did them. She knew her job, knew her power, and did not overstep either her position or her personality. In other words, when you did your job well, she was free with compliments and recognition; if you goofed, you'd better have a very good reason.

Draco was, in general, pleased. He liked his office to be run efficiently, and found his own work to be easier when he didn't have to worry about mundane details. Ginny was still a Bossy Gryffindor, but it only took one or two skirmishes for him to realize it was easier to do as she said, rather than have her look smug and tell him "I told you so", which she was happy to do when he was wrong.

Her first every other Friday afternoon, Draco took her to a very pricey restaurant, telling her it was a reward for organizing him so well. She just smirked at him and proceeded to order the most expensive items on the menu. Draco groaned at her audacity, but smiled and paid without comment before letting her go home for the day. The office was noticeably more sedate when she wasn't there, and he found the afternoon dragging on endlessly.

Ginny, for her part, was happy. The new office was full of bright, young people, and not one of them talked to her about cauldren bottoms, as Ministry drones were wont to do.

Ginny walked home after her first lunch with Draco (elegant and expensive, he didn't even blink) and contemplated her new job. Before, she couldn't wait to get away from the office for her afternoon off. Now, she felt somehow like she was abandoning everyone, and was dismayed to realize what she missed most was interacting with Draco.

(Okay, Ginny, get a grip. It's just the new job, not him you miss) But she knew deep in her heart she was kidding herself. For the next two hours, although she had planned many things, she found herself wandering between her kitchen and living room, moping.

Just as she was about to get dressed and go back to work again, an owl came tapping at her window. Curious, she let it in, seeing it was her new boss's eagle owl, Andromache.

"Hello, dear, and what does Master Malfoy want now? Wants to make me pay for ordering lobster at lunch, no doubt." Ginny pulled the scroll off the owl's leg and fed it a treat before reading the message.

"Bored now. Wanna come outside and play?"

Ginny looked out the window, and sure enough there was Draco, in Muggle jeans and black t-shirt, standing in the street and smiling. (Edible. Stop that, Ginny) Ginny rolled her eyes.

"Don't just stand there, come up here, for Merlin's sake!" she called, and he ran inside.

A knock quickly followed, and Ginny let him in, torn between frustration with her boss and admiration for her boss's tight shirt.

"Geez, Draco, what do you mean you're bored? There's plenty to do at the office, and who's in charge?"

Draco smirked at her before planting himself on her couch and putting his booted feet up on the coffee table.

"Well, I left Caitie in charge, and there's nothing on my desk that can't wait until Monday. I thought you might like a brisk walk after the amount of food you put away at lunch." Draco examined his fingernails for a moment, watching Ginny's expression out the corner of his eye.

"Oh, please, you just wanted to leave, and you're using me as an excuse. You don't have to, you know, you're the boss!" she exclaimed, flouncing down beside him.

"Hmmm, technically you're right, but it is a beautiful day, and a walk would be nice. Don't you want to go outside and play?" The look on Ginny's face was a cross between frustration at his childish manner and delight at the prospect of spending the rest of the day with him.

"I had planned to do several things, but since you're already here, I guess I have no choice."

"I'm glad you see it my way," said Draco with a grin, right before Ginny hit him with a throw pillow.

"Okay, if you want a walk, you can come with me to the bookstore. I have a list of Muggle books from Hermione, and I'm reading them one by one. This week, it's 'Jane Eyre'."

"Muggle books? You mean a Muggle bookstore, too? I don't know, I might have to let you do that on your own." Draco pulled a frown, meaning this for a joke, but Ginny wasn't amused.

"Fine, Ferret, you don't have to come. I don't need you to entertain me, I can come up with things to do all on my own, thank you!" Ginny stood up and flung her hair behind her.

"You didn't seem to mind when I came in here with a suggestion, Weasel," Draco shot back, and got up. "I don't care, do what you want!"

"Get out! I don't know why you thought you could march up here and annoy me on my day off, anyway. Go back to the office and finish your work, you lazy, selfish, overstuffed git!" Ginny screeched at him, at which Draco left, slamming the door behind him.

Ginny dropped back down to the couch, seething. (How dare he? He's the one who wanted to do something, why did he have to be such a jerk?) She put her head on the pillow she'd thrown at him earlier, and stared at the window where Andromache had come in.

(Ugh, Ginny, that's your boss, did you forget that? Some professional you are, screeching like a harpy when all he did was invite you for a walk) Ginny, sad that she'd yelled, sad that she was bored and sad at the thought that she'd made Draco leave, let the tears leak out and cried herself to sleep on the couch.

~~~~~~~~~~

Draco, after the earth-shattering slam of Ginny's front door, stood in the hallway, fuming. He wanted to be mad at her, wanted to kick a dog, anything, except feel what he was feeling, which was angry with himself. He liked Ginny, thought he knew her pretty well, and was happy to have her very efficient little self working for him. (but Draco, idiot, you blew it. You said maybe the one thing that you knew would upset her, and you did it on purpose to get a reaction) It was a reaction he should have expected and was angry with himself for reacting right back.

He almost turned around and knocked on her door, an apology already on his lips, when the Malfoy pride kicked in, and he stomped down the hallway and out the building instead. (Malfoys do not apologize!) he reminded himself, only to have a little voice inside his head whisper that it was different this time. This time it was Ginny Weasley, beautiful woman, daughter of the former Minister of Magic (and you like her).

At that, Draco stopped in his tracks and stared, much to the chagrin of several people who barrelled into him on the sidewalk. (Damn, this is a mess!) and he decided he'd better do something, or he'd lose his PA, the respect of a good man, her father, and maybe the best woman he'd ever known.

Remembering how much she loved the flowers he'd bought for her a few weeks ago, he stopped once again at the flower stand. Then he made up his mind to do one more thing before going back to her apartment.

~~~~~~~~~~

Ginny started awake about two hours after she fell asleep crying. (Silly girl, what was that all about?) she thought as she got up from the couch and went into the bathroom to check her face. Her eyes were a little puffy and red, but not so bad she couldn't face the world, and she proceeded to straighten herself up so she could take herself out for a late afternoon walk. (A walk still sounds good, get some fresh air)

A knock at the door surprised her, and she wondered who it could be.

The amount and variety of flowers that greeted her was overwhelming, and Ginny gave a squeak when they all began to move forward into her apartment.

Draco peered around the flowers and grinned. "Gotcha!" he said.

"Why are you here again?" Ginny said to him. (These are the most beautiful flowers I've ever seen)

"To take you to dinner, of course," was the reply. "I'm starving, and I wanted to see if you could put away as much food at dinner as you did at lunch." Draco stood there with the flowers in his hand, watching Ginny's face.

Ginny's face, always open and frequent with emotions, went from shocked to indignant to resigned. This was it. This was the apology. It was all she was going to get. She didn't make it easy for him, though.

"You're a git. I don't need flowers, I don't want dinner, and I still have a book to buy."

"No, you need flowers as often as possible, because I need to buy them for you. You might not want dinner, but I want to take you to dinner. And you don't have any book to buy, because I already bought it for you," said Draco smugly, pulling a package from behind his back.

Ginny's eyes went wide. There, in a bag from her favorite Muggle bookstore, was a very fine, expensive edition of 'Jane Eyre'.

"Oh!" was all she could muster, and actually had to sit down becasue her knees went suddenly weak.

Draco put the flowers down, closed the front door (quietly this time), and kneeled down in front of Ginny.

"Look, Princess, I'm sorry. I'm still new at some things, and dealing with Muggles is one of the hardest. The worst of it is, I made you cry, and I can't stand the thought of that."

Ginny couldn't believe her ears. "What is this? A Malfoy apologizing? Really, Draco, what's the real reason you came back?"

Draco's head went up. "I thought I made myself clear just now. You're lucky I came back at all!" (Sweet Merlin, she gives me a run for my money!)

"You're an arrogant bastard! Why should I believe anything you have to say?" Ginny's fists were balled up and she leaned dangerously close to Draco's face (Smug but beautiful, he's not the Slytherin Sex God for nothing!)

"Because I love you and when people love each other they always tell the truth!" Draco growled, and grabbing her shoulders, kissed her fiercly and passionately.

Ginny's fists landed on his shoulders, but immediately opened as she responded with all her might, matching his passion with hers.

Draco's eyes never left hers as he kissed her deeply, and his hands caressed her neck and waist. Ginny ran her fingers through his hair and sighed into his mouth as he leaned back onto the floor and took her with him.

Needing air, Ginny broke off first, but just as Draco thought she was pulling away, she leaned down and planted a kiss on the tip of his nose, her wavy curls falling in a curtain around both their heads. He smiled at her, a real smile that touched his silver eyes as well as his mouth, and Ginny couldn't resist a soft giggle.

"How do you know you love me?" she asked.

"Simple. I can't imagine my life without you," was his reply.

"Well, if that's all it is, then I guess I love you as well," she said with his smirk on her face.

"Imagine that. Miss Weasley, whatever shall we do about this?"

"Heavens, Mr. Malfoy, I have several suggestions."

Draco's eyes lit up and he kissed Ginny again, this time gently and tenderly. Ginny lifted up off him and quirked an eye. "Does this mean I'm fired?"

"Not until after the wedding. I still need you to train someone to take your place when you start having my babies, Weasley." He grinned at the look on her face.

"Hmmm, I suppose that would be true, if it was going to happen anytime soon, Malfoy." She grinned right back and kissed him on the nose again.

"We'll discuss this later, Miss Weasley. Right now, I'm hungry," he said suggestively.

"Why, Mr. Malfoy, if I didn't know better, I'd say you were talking dirty to an employee," was the teasing reply.

"Damn straight, I am, and if I have to fire you to bed you, I'll make the sacrifice!" And Draco grabbed Ginny's lips in a kiss full of desire.

~~~~~~~~~~

Six months later, Ginny finished up the work on her desk, poked her head into her boss's office to say goodbye and left for the day. She still took every other Friday afternoon off, much to the dismay of her brother Percy, who had come to work for Malfoy Industries as a favor to Draco, in the metallurgy division. Percy took Ginny as his PA, since Draco felt having her in his office was too much of a distraction, and she and Percy had made the division into a top performer. The reason for Percy's dismay today, though, was the thought of losing both his PA and his boss for the next two weeks while they went on their honeymoon.

"Weak cauldron bottoms don't fix themselves, you know!" was Percy's mantra.

Ginny walked down Diagon Alley, breathing in the fresh Autumn breezes, which tickled her hair and made it swirl. Once again, she stopped at the flower stand to drink in the scent of yellow and orange blossoms. A chuckle behind her didn't surprise her, and she turned to find Draco standing there, watching her. Smiling, she took his hand in hers and winked.

Draco winked back (I can't catch my breath, she's so beautiful) and promptly bought the largest bunch for her.

"Ready for tomorrow?" he asked quietly as they strolled down the street.

"Oh, yes, never fear. I braved my brothers for this, nothing's ever going to be scary again." She leaned into him.

"I do have one request, though," Ginny said with a smile.

"And what's that?" Draco wasn't afraid, just curious.

"I still want my every other Friday afternoon off." Ginny giggled.

"Only if you let me come with you," was the reply as Draco's eyes lit with laughter.

"Deal." And she kissed the tip of his nose.
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=2089