A Matter of Identity by ragdollangel
Past Featured StorySummary: A spell goes terribly wrong, leaving Ginny believing she is from another century.
Categories: Long and Completed Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Romance, Humor
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 11106 Read: 56128 Published: Apr 14, 2005 Updated: Apr 30, 2005

1. Prologue by ragdollangel

2. The Way Things Are by ragdollangel

3. Introducing Draco as Lord James by ragdollangel

4. Repercussions by ragdollangel

5. Abrupt Changes by ragdollangel

6. Confessions by ragdollangel

7. A Peek Behind the Scenes by ragdollangel

8. Point of No Return by ragdollangel

9. Ginny Weasley by ragdollangel

10. How It Ends by ragdollangel

Prologue by ragdollangel
Title: A Matter of Identity
Author: ragdollangel
Categories: Humor, Romance
Disclaimer: They aren't mine (I wish they were). All hail JKR.
Feedback: I love reviews… almost as much as I love Draco ::sighs::
Date Posted: 14th April, 2005



Prologue

“It's terrible,” Ginny Weasley complained to her friend Ally. “ I simply can’t seem to remember anything. The term exams are coming up, and I don’t remember a word from the History of Magic classes.”

“That’s probably cause you weren’t really listening,” grinned Ally, stretching out lazily.

Ginny sighed. “That’s easy for you to say, you just have to read something once and -wham- you never forget it.”

She looked out of the window longingly, then reluctantly turned back to her books. It was an absolutely wonderful evening, and she felt miserable being stuck inside like this.

Ten minutes later she was near tears.

“Isn’t there any other way?” she asked Ally, dejectedly. “I’m just not good with dates or names, and I can’t risk a low grade. Mother will be so upset.”

“Well, you could try a memory retention spell or something,” said Ally absently. “I’m not very sure how it’s done, but if you dug around in one of Hermione’s books, you might find it there.”

Ginny brightened immediately, “That’s a great idea. C’mon lets go.”
She grabbed Ally by her arm and bounded out of the room.

Heading top speed towards the Common Room, and mentally bashing herself up, Ally tried to convince Ginny that maybe that wasn’t really such a smart thing to do.

“If they find out, you could get into more trouble than you would if you just did badly in the exam. C’mon girl, you don’t have to do this… please. And those are advanced spells- we haven’t reached that far yet… please Gin, I have a bad feeling about this.”

“Oh, don’t worry,” said Ginny. “Remember when Harry and Hermione did all that complex magic the other year? They weren’t all that qualified either, were they?”

Ally tried to explain the difference between saving the wizarding world and passing an exam, but Ginny was too far gone to care. She headed for a pile of books Hermione had left on the table, and began to dig through them noisily.

Ally looked around nervously, hoping they wouldn’t get caught, and wishing that she had never, ever put this ridiculous idea into her best friend’s head.

“Okay, here it is,” said Ginny happily scanning a page. “Correct me if I’m wrong.”
The Way Things Are by ragdollangel
Title: A Matter of Identity
Author: ragdollangel
Categories: Humor, Romance
Disclaimer: They aren't mine (I wish they were). All hail JKR.
Feedback: I love reviews… almost as much as I love Draco ::sighs::
Date Posted: 14th April, 2005



The Way Things Are


Harry, Hermione and Ron were standing outside the hospital wing in various stages of disbelief, waiting for Madame Pomfrey to let them in.

“What an idiot,” muttered Ron angrily. “Why does she always go and do these things? Do you think she’s erased her memory or something?”

There was a painful silence as Harry and Hermione tried to think of something to say.

Ally shuffled in guiltily. ‘I’m so sorry,” she mumbled, looking like she would burst into tears any minute. Hermione put an arm around her shoulder. “It’s not your fault,” she said consolingly, shooting a warning glance at Ron, who looked very much as if he disagreed. “Don’t worry, I’m sure she’ll be okay.”

“But she was acting completely nuts,” Ally sniffed. “She thought I was her maid or something.”

“What??” burst Ron, looking accusingly at Harry and Hermione. “No one told me that! She hasn’t gone bonkers, has she? Why couldn’t the little git just make up her bloody answers? That’s what I always do, and old Binns never seems to notice. What am I going to tell Mum? Where do you think-”

“Please keep your voice down, Mr. Weasley,” said Madame Pomfrey, who had appeared at the door. As the four of them gathered anxiously around her, she explained the situation. “Miss Weasley seems to have undergone a temporary Mind Switch,” she told them. “And at the moment she believes that she is someone else.”

She glanced at Ron, who had turned a decided shade of green, and continued hurriedly, “Let me stress that this is temporary. She is in otherwise excellent health, and I see no reason for her to remain here.”

“You mean she can come back to the dormitory?” asked Ally in a small voice.

“Absolutely”

“But what do we do?” spluttered Ron. “If she’s all loony, how do we manage?”

“It’s not very complicated, Mr. Weasley,” replied Madame Pomfrey wearily, “This situation may last for a week or two at the most, and my advice is to humor her. Let her believe what she wants to believe- play along if necessary. Just don’t upset her, or we might have a problem.”

“Can we see her?” asked Hermione.

“You may go in –quietly please, Mr. Weasley- and remember what I said about not upsetting her.”

“Who does she think she is?” asked Harry, speaking for the first time.

“Lady Elspeth Richardson, circa 1842,” came the tart reply.

----

“You certainly took your time, I must say,” said Ginny. She was sitting upright in bed, and sipping tea delicately. She motioned to Ron, who was gaping at her disbelievingly. “Perkins, have the carriage waiting. I should be out of here soon.”

“Perkins??” spluttered Ron “Carriage??”

Hermione frowned and elbowed him.

He groaned and bowed slightly. “Certainly, my lady”, he managed to say.

“Mary, get my cape,” she said vaguely.

They looked at each other blankly.

“Mary! Stop gawping like a fish, and bring me my cape. What is the matter with you, girl?”

Ally muttered an apology and rushed out to look for the phantom cape.

Ginny smiled graciously at Harry. “I appreciate you being here, Sir. If not for you, my mother may have been very unsettled.” She turned to smile at Hermione, who looked aghast. Harry tried his hardest to keep a straight face, while Ron, forgot for a minute that he was the lowly footman Perkins, and chuckled.

“And now,” continued Ginny complacently, “I would very much like to go home.”

Harry put out his arm gallantly. “Come, my lady, let us depart.”

---

While Ginny was changing for dinner, and Ally attending to her; Harry, Ron and Hermione sat in the Common Room with a sense of surrealism.

“Perkins,” said Ron bitterly, “Harry gets to be a Sir, while I -her own flesh and blood- have to be Perkins.”

Harry grinned, and ducked a blow from him.

“At least you’re not her mother,” groaned Hermione. “Me, of all people.”

“So what happens now?” asked Ron.

“Dinner,” replied Hermione. “I’ve had a word with the students and they promised to help us out. Even McGonagall said she would see that things stayed under control.”

“Didn’t Ginny have a problem with staying in a dormitory?” asked Harry quizzically.

“I told her our house was being repainted, and you had kindly allowed us to stay with you. Also that she wasn’t well enough to travel. She doesn’t approve of the décor, but she won’t complain because it would be impolite.”

“But what about the other girls?” asked Ron, “If she thinks we’re keeping here with the maidservants, we’re going to get it for sure.”

“I took care of that as well,” sighed Hermione. “I told her Harry had all his cousins over from Spain. But I have a feeling she wouldn’t talk to them anyway.”

“Wow,” said Ron, “not bad, I must say.”

Harry nodded in agreement. Hermione blushed.

Ginny came down the stairs, wearing two sets of robes, and a chiffon scarf around her neck. Ron’s jaw dropped.

“Mother,” she said disapprovingly, “what is he doing here?” She stared pointedly at Ron, who hurriedly bowed and backed out of the room, muttering, “Bloody sisters” under his breath.

---

Things seemed quite uneventful at dinner. The Gryffindors played along, bowing or curtsying to her when she walked in regally, ignoring everyone else.

She sat opposite Harry and Hermione, eating slowly and delicately, her eyes scanning the room expectantly. Ron was sitting at the other end of the table, as far away from them as possible, his face like thunder. Ally sat morosely next to him, picking at her food.

“Something’s bothering me,” whispered Hermione to Harry. “And I can’t think what it is.”

“Who’s she looking for?” he whispered back.

“Absolutely no idea.”

Before he could say another word, the doors opened and the Slytherins came in. Ginny stood up, and moved forward- her face enraptured.

“Oh, no,” said Hermione.

The Hall grew silent as Ginny made her way towards Draco Malfoy, who stared at her blankly. She stopped and looked at him adoringly.

“My Lord,” she said, blushing, “I see you have finally returned.”


---x---x---
Introducing Draco as Lord James by ragdollangel
Title: A Matter of Identity
Author: ragdollangel
Categories: Humor, Romance
Disclaimer: They aren't mine (I wish they were). All hail JKR.
Feedback: I love reviews… almost as much as I love Draco ::sighs::
Date Posted: 17th April, 2005

[Author’s Note] Thank you to everyone who reviewed, and a big thanks to Chuya for the beta-ing (and the reassurance) =)
----------



Introducing Draco as Lord James


Draco’s jaw dropped, “Eh?”

The Weasley girl, it seemed, was standing there in rather doubtful attire, and staring at him in a way he was definitely sure her brother would not approve of.

She raised her right hand towards him, and he took a step backwards. Certainly she didn’t expect him to kiss it? What the bloody hell was wrong with her?

“Sod off, Weasley,” he finally managed, and brushed past her.

Ginny turned around, confused and hurt, as Ron rushed at her.
“Are you off your rocker?” he yelled disbelievingly, grabbing her arm, “Get back here and sit down.”

“What insolence!” roared Ginny, white with rage, “Do not lay another finger on me, you ill-mannered scoundrel, or I shall see to it that you regret the very day you were born!”
She stormed out, followed hurriedly by Hermione and Ally.

The silence in the Hall could have been cut with a knife, as Ron stood there with mingled exasperation and anger, watching her go.

---

“This is crazy,” fumed Ron, pacing around the Common Room. The other Gryffindors watched him cautiously from across the room. “What’s wrong with her? Why Malfoy? Why him? WHY?”

“It’s just for two weeks,” started Harry patiently, “And I’m sure everything will be fine-“

“No, it WON’T,” retorted Ron.
“Can’t we lock her up, or something?” he added wistfully.

‘I don’t really think that’s an option,” replied Harry sympathetically, “I suppose she’d just get worse. Madame Pomfrey said we ought to play along for a while, so lets just stick to that. Today’s just the first day- I’m sure it’ll get better.”

“Why Malfoy?” groaned Ron.

But even Harry didn’t have an answer to that.

---

“Why will he not speak to me?” moaned Ginny, “Why does he not even acknowledge my presence?”

Hermione sighed.
“Maybe he was just tired- I know he cares for you and would never do anything intentionally to hurt you,” she said, cringing inwardly. “After a good night’s rest, I’m sure things will look better.”

Ginny continued to look miserable. Ally offered her a chocolate frog, but she ignored her.
“I know I have denied this several times, Mother,” she said sadly, “But Lord James is my favorite.”

“Your favorite what?” asked Hermione, puzzled.

“Suitor, Mother! My favorite suitor.” She looked suspiciously at her.
“Are you not feeling well today? You have not been yourself. Is something the matter?”

“No, no,” replied Hermione hurriedly. “I am just very tired and I was so worried about you today.”

“You will make sure he knows of my feelings, will you not?” asked Ginny.

“I’ll see what I can do,” she replied uncertainly.

“You must, you must,” cried Ginny, “I am in a dreadful state. I fear I shall lie awake all night, just thinking of this.”

“Look,” said Hermione brightly, “I’ll make something warm to drink, and the three of us can sit down, have a nice chat, and not think of Dra- Lord James for a while…”

“Mother!” exclaimed Ginny, aghast, “What is wrong with you? Suggesting that we associate with common folk,” she paused, looking distastefully at Ally, “What is nobility coming to these days?”

Hermione rolled her eyes in disbelief. She was quite sure she never wanted children after this. Who would have ever thought that sweet little Ginny would turn out to be such a terror?

Ginny stood up and motioned to Ally, “My clothes, Mary”
Ally bustled around, and got her nightclothes together, before realizing she was expected to undress her as well.

Hermione sighed, and left the room.

---

“NO,” said Ron emphatically,“ No, no, no… and a thousand times no. We are not going to ask that prick Malfoy if he would please pretend to be my little sister’s love interest for the next few days. I absolutely forbid it.”

“It’s the only way, Ron,” persisted Hermione, “She’s getting more difficult to handle every minute, and she’s driving poor Ally absolutely insane.”

“She’s driving me insane,” muttered Ron.

“Well, if Malfoy agrees - although it’s highly unlikely – at least she’ll be in a better mood. She treats you and her ‘maid’ like dirt, she refuses to listen to anything I say, and she doesn’t seem to think much of Harry… I don’t think there’s much we can do for her. And as hard as this is to accept, he’s probably the only one who can handle her”

Ron buried his head in his hands, mumbling, “And to think that I used to play with her little doll set…” Harry grinned, as he continued moodily, “Look at her now, she’s almost as bad as that bloody ferret- in fact, I think she’s just as horrible as he is.”

He paused, and Hermione looked at him expectantly.
“Okay,” he muttered grudgingly, “I see the point.”
“But I still don’t like it,” he added darkly.

---

“You want me to do what?” Draco looked from Harry to Hermione, as if they had gone insane. Ron stood further away, refusing to look him in the eye.

Hermione took a deep breath, “Look here, Malfoy. As much as I despise you, Ginny seems to believe that you are her suitor- her favorite suitor, I might add –so please stop being tiresome, and just do this for two weeks.”

Before Draco could say another word, she continued briskly, “You would have to be civil to us of course- at least while she’s around.”

“And I suppose we would have to be civil to you too,” added Harry unhappily.

“That isn’t much compensation,” sneered Draco, “If I have to go around from now on pretending to be interested in a Weasley, surrounded by Potter, Granger and another Weasley, you need to make it worth my while.”

“Oh, you won’t have a problem with her,” said Hermione thinly. “She appears to be a complete snob, and is just as annoyingly conceited as you are.”

“A Weasley with an attitude,” remarked Draco. “Sounds interesting…”

He thought for a moment, then continued slowly, “Let me get this straight. I’m Lord James- the suitor, Granger- unfortunately –is the mother, and Potter is Lord Giles- the mother’s boyfriend.”

“Family friend,” said Harry lamely, as Hermione blushed.
Draco brushed him off.
“Who is Weasley, then?” he asked pointedly.

Hermione hesitated, looking guiltily at Ron.
“Um, he’s just, um…” started Harry, and paused awkwardly.

Draco raised an eyebrow curiously.

“Alright!” burst Ron, stepping forward, “I’m the bloody carriage driver. There, are you happy now?”

Draco smirked with satisfaction.
“Wonderful”, he said. “I think I’ve made up my mind. I’m going to do this.”

---

As Harry tried to calm a furious Ron, Hermione looked out of the window wearily. So the charade would begin tomorrow.

Since it was obvious that Ginny could not attend classes, Hermione had been given permission to lock her in the dormitory during the daytime. She had spent the past half hour explaining to a very unwilling Ginny that it would be best if she were to remain indoors during the day for the next week or so, and for her to meet Lord James later.

Draco had agreed to take her out for a walk in the evenings, and thinking back on the conversation with him, Hermione shook her head unbelievingly.

She had never expected him to agree.

---

Draco sat back, thinking about what had just happened. It was going to be an eventful two weeks, he was sure of it- with Granger and Potter referring to him as ‘my Lord’, while the red haired git acted servile.

He smirked again.
This was going to be perfect.

Plus, the Weasley bint was rather easy on the eyes.


---x---x---
Repercussions by ragdollangel
Title: A Matter of Identity
Author: ragdollangel
Categories: Humor, Romance
Disclaimer: They aren't mine (I wish they were). All hail JKR.
Feedback: I love reviews… almost as much as I love Draco ::sighs::
Date Posted: 20th April, 2005

[Author’s Note] Thanks a lot to everyone who reviewed, and another big thankyou to Chuya for the beta-ing and the help =)



Repercussions


Draco was standing under a tree, when he saw Ginny coming towards him, dressed in another bizarre concoction of cloth. He bowed, and said, “Good evening, my Lady.”

“Good evening,” she smiled.

There was an awkward pause as he struggled to remember her name.
“Ah”, he exclaimed, then caught himself and continued mildly, “Lady Elspeth, would you allow me the pleasure of your company while I walk this evening?”

Ginny blushed, and replied, “Yes.”

A group of curious first years paused to listen, but Draco glared at them and they scurried away frantically.

They strolled in silence for a while, before Draco cleared his throat and began, “I would like to uh-sincerely apologize for my unforgivable behavior last night.” He turned to look at her. “I did not realize what I was saying, and I hope that you will forgive me.”

“Most certainly, my Lord,” replied Ginny. “I realize that you must have been tired after the long trip from your mother’s house. But you were very late—are you having trouble with your horse?”

“Yes, I suppose so,” said Draco vaguely.

“You must ask Perkins to see to it,” said Ginny. “I would, but I find him a rather unpleasant specimen of humanity.”

“What do you mean?” he asked, hiding a grin.

“He is bad tempered and insolent,” replied Ginny, wrinkling her nose delicately. “That class of people are so hard to tolerate sometimes.”

Draco couldn’t hide his smile this time. The girl was actually serious.

“My mother says the same thing,” he told her. “Servants these days honestly do not seem to know their place.”

Ginny nodded in agreement, “Exactly.”

“They drive her insane,” continued Draco, “and since my father has been in Azka- the army, things are even more difficult for her. I worry about her sometimes.”

Draco stopped in surprise. Why was he discussing his personal life with a Weasley? Granted, she thought she was nobility and not a Weasley- but it was still unsettling.

“Lady Elspeth,” he said suddenly. He paused, a wicked glint in his eyes. “When I was at home, my mother spoke to me of something that I found very interesting, and I feel it is something that you would wish to know as well.”

“What is it, my Lord?”

Draco appeared to look hesitant, “It may not be considered proper to speak of this with you.”

“You must tell me,” Ginny persisted.

---

“What are they talking about?” asked Ron, frowning, “and how long are they planning to stroll around like a pair of idiots?”

He was leaning against a pillar, carefully out of sight, and peeking out occasionally for a surreptitious glance at Draco and Ginny. He did not approve of the walks, but Hermione had insisted that they were necessary.

“She’s in a much better mood now,” remarked Hermione. “Ally told me she got very upset about something and broke a teacup in the morning.”

“Of course she’s in a better mood,” muttered Ron. “She has that git simpering all over her with his ‘my Lady’ nonsense—what did you expect?”

“Well,” said Hermione, “as long as Malfoy keeps her sane for the next few days, that’s all I really care about. The less we have to do with someone like him, the better.”

“He hasn’t been as horrid as usual, has he?” Harry said thoughtfully, “since his father went to Azkaban, I mean.”

“I don’t care,” said Ron in frustration. “I wouldn’t trust that bloody ferret with anything, and there he is, waltzing around with my little sister, and all we can do is watch. No, let me correct that- you’re the ones who had the daft idea in the first place.”

“Well, do you have a better idea, then?” asked Hermione crossly.

“Anything would have been better than involving him,” argued Ron. “He’s up to something, I know it. Malfoy isn’t the kind of person who just helps people out.”

“They’re headed this way,” warned Harry.

Ron groaned and moved away before Ginny could see him.

---

Draco turned towards Hermione and bowed, “Good evening, my Lady.”

“And my Lord,” he added, glancing at Harry, who looked uncomfortable and bowed back.

“You have a very charming daughter”, Draco said. “Very intelligent, and very beautiful.”

Ginny blushed and kept her eyes demurely on the ground.

Hermione smiled politely, not knowing what else to do.

“Ah, Perkins,” drawled Draco lazily, catching sight of Ron. “Give my horse a good rub down will you? And make it quick.”

Ron’s face turned the same color as his hair, and he walked away hurriedly, clenching his fists.

“So how long are you with us for?” asked Harry.

“You very kindly invited me to stay here for the summer,” replied Draco smoothly, “and I wouldn’t dream of leaving earlier- at least as long as Lady Elspeth remains here. I hope you would not mind if I borrowed your rifle to go hunting?”

Hermione stared at him in disbelief.

“Not at all,” said Harry faintly.

“I will take my leave now,” continued Draco.

“And I hope to see you tomorrow again, my Lady,” he said, raising Ginny’s hand to his lips.

Harry rolled his eyes. Draco ignored him and made his farewell bow with a flourish.

---

“Is it true, mother?” asked Ginny, later that evening.

“Is what true?”

“That Sir Giles and Father were your suitors, and fought a duel over you. And that Sir Giles dropped his sword clumsily, allowing father to win easily.”

Hermione’s jaw dropped.

“I always considered him to be rather foolish,” continued Ginny scornfully, “but now he has fallen even lower in my opinion. I can understand why you disregarded your affection for him, mother. Dropping his sword, indeed. How shameful.”

“Where did you hear this?” gasped Hermione.

“Lord James was speaking of it,” replied Ginny.

“Oh, I should have known,” muttered Hermione to herself, “and just wait till Harry hears this.”

---

“Malfoy, what DO you think you’re doing?”

Harry and Hermione had cornered Draco in the hallway.

“Oh, so do you two think that you’re the only ones who can make stories up for her?” asked Draco smoothly.

“I know you can’t stand Ginny,” said Hermione, “but please remember that it’s only for a little while, and no one honestly wanted to involve you- it just happened.”

She frowned, and continued, “What was all that about a rifle and going hunting?”

“Isn’t that what rich Muggles used to do?” asked Draco pensively. “I was just trying to be authentic.”

“But stuffing her with absolute rot wasn’t part of the agreement,” persisted Harry. “There is such a thing as overdoing it, Malfoy, and I don’t care how much you’re enjoying yourself- we really can’t have any more nonsense like that.”

“I really don’t remember any specific agreement,” said Draco smugly, “and it really wasn’t all that bad an anecdote. I thought it had a certain ring of authenticity to it as well.” He smirked and walked away.

He stopped before he turned around the corner. "Oh, one more thing Granger,” he said, “you’re wrong. I do find the Weasley girl very interesting.”

Harry and Hermione stood there, staring at him blankly until he moved away.

“Okay,” said Harry finally, “I don’t think those walks were such a good idea.”


---x---x---
Abrupt Changes by ragdollangel
Title: A Matter of Identity
Author: ragdollangel
Categories: Humor, Romance
Disclaimer: They aren't mine (I wish they were). All hail JKR.
Feedback: I love reviews… almost as much as I love Draco ::sighs::
Date Posted: 25th April, 2005

[Author's Note] Thanks again to everyone who bothered to review =) And to Chuya for the beta-ing.



Abrupt Changes


Although Harry and Hermione tried their hardest to stop them, the walks continued. And as the days passed, Ginny became more cheerful and less demanding. A careful observer might also have noticed that Draco seemed to look forward to their evenings together--not that he would have admitted to it, of course.

The sun was setting as they walked. He said something amusing to her and she smiled up at him.

Harry sat watching them, a frown on his face. Ginny had announced to him in the morning that Lord James told her that he had gotten the scar on his forehead when he tripped and fell down the stairs. The day before that she had asked Hermione if it was true that Perkins had been caught stealing food from the kitchens.

Harry frowned again. The sooner this was over, the better. Why was it that Malfoy always had the better end of things, no matter what?

---

Draco was walking down the hallway later that evening, when Pansy Parkinson caught up with him and grabbed him by his shoulder.
“Still seeing that Weasley girl, eh Draco?” she asked nastily.

“What I do, or who I am seen with is none of your business, and let's keep it that way,” replied Draco shortly. “Now run along. Isn’t there some other unfortunate soul you could annoy?”

Pansy ignored him.

“I don’t care what you told the rest of them,” she said. “I don’t believe that you’re only doing this because you enjoy lording over those three.”

“What do you know about anything?” Draco sneered.

“Oh, you’d be surprised,” she shot back. “I think you rather enjoy your walks with that little twit, although I simply can’t think why.”

Draco’s eyes glinted dangerously.

“Well Parkinson,” he said. “I’ve known you for years, and her for a week. Let’s just say that conversation with her is a little more stimulating.”

He walked away, leaving Pansy glaring at nothing in particular.

---

Ginny smiled at Draco across the room. She didn’t exactly understand why he couldn’t sit at her table, but she didn’t mind as long as she could see him.

He shot a quick glance around to make sure no one was watching, then smiled back.

Harry was picking at his food, vaguely wondering what it would be like when Ginny finally recovered. It had only been a week, but it seemed like months.

Hermione sighed. She missed having a life of her own. Being Ginny’s mother was tiring, and she constantly felt physically and emotionally drained. ‘Elspeth’ was a hard person to handle and it usually fell to Hermione to calm her down when she had one of her infamous mood swings.

Ally and Ron sat in their customary place at the other end of the table, out of Ginny’s sight. Ron was talking animatedly with his mouth full, but Ally looked gloomy. Being treated like someone’s personal slave was taxing on one’s nerves.

---

“Hello there, Elspeth,” cooed Pansy.

She had caught up with Ginny and Hermione after dinner.

“So how are you?”

“I am fine, thank you,” replied Ginny. “But I am afraid I have not made your acquaintance.”

“Oh, so has Lord James never mentioned me?” asked Pansy coyly.

Hermione held her breath. Was the girl out of her mind?

“I’m an old friend,” she continued. “My name’s Pansy. I’ve known Lord James for many years, and I assure you I have his best interests in heart.”

“What do you mean?” asked Ginny.

“Oh, they haven’t told you?” Pansy raised an eyebrow. “My poor child, your mother-” she looked accusingly at Hermione- “has forced Lord James to court you.”

“It isn’t a very nice thing to do, is it?” she continued condescendingly. “I mean—you, of all people, know how important it is to always be respectable. I just thought it was time you let the poor boy be.”

The color slowly drained from Ginny’s face.

“Is this true?” she asked Hermione quietly.

Before she could answer, she swept down the hallway and up the stairs.

“What do you think you’re doing?” asked Hermione angrily.

“Oh, come on,” said Pansy lazily, “You people don’t want Draco around her, and I think it would be best for him if he stopped seeing her. I did us all a favor. This way everybody wins.”

---

“Are you not capable of doing anything right??” yelled Ginny, “You stupid girl! I shall have you flogged for this!”

Ally’s hands shook as she bent to pick up the hairbrush that she had dropped. Taking a deep breath, she started combing Ginny’s hair again.

Ginny was still very pale. Although she tried convincing herself that she didn’t believe a word that girl had just said, it had affected her. She had seen it in her mother’s eyes. It was true. She didn’t want to believe it, but she knew it was true.

“Stop it, you fool!” she screamed, “You’re hurting me!”

She grabbed the hairbrush from a stunned Ally’s hand and flung it across the room, narrowly missing the window.

Ally’s lips tightened. There was only so much she could take.

“I’m leaving.”

“What?” asked Ginny in disbelief.

“I said I’m leaving. Find yourself a new maid. I’m not coming back.”

She walked out and shut the door firmly behind her.

---

“This is getting worse,” sighed Hermione, “I just don’t know what to do. Ally said she wouldn’t be doing this anymore, and after last night I don’t know what to say to Ginny.”

“Just tell her it’s the truth,” said Harry, “If she stops meeting him, it’ll be much better for everyone. I know this sounds heartless, but if she’s feeling insecure right now, then it’s the best time to convince her to let go.”

“And there are only a couple of days left,” added Ron, “I’m sure it won’t matter if she has male company or not. I certainly would be happier.”

“I don’t know,” said Hermione thoughtfully, “She’s been less aristocratic than she was last week--except for her episodes with Ally-–and I think her Mind Switch might be starting to fade.”

“Well, that’s good, isn’t it?” Ron’s face brightened.

“Not exactly,” replied Hermione, “A partial recovery of memory may not be a good thing. Ginny--the real Ginny, I mean--can be very obstinate at times, and if she believes that ‘Elspeth’ ought to keep seeing ‘Sir James’, we honestly can’t stop her.”

---

“Why should I listen to anything you say?” asked Ginny bitterly, “You lied to me, and deceived me. You both did.”

“Forgive me, Elspeth,” pleaded Hermione. “I only did it for your good. I was afraid that you were interested in someone of a lower status, and all I wanted was for you to be happy. I did not mean for it to go so far.”

“I do not understand,” said Ginny, frowning, “You hired Lord James to be interested me?”

“I will speak to him,” said Harry hurriedly, “And I will explain the situation to him, and tell him that it can no longer be considered proper for the two of you to meet.”

“You will do no such thing,” said Ginny sharply.

“But my child,” protested Hermione, “Certainly it is most improper for you to continue seeing him when you know he does not return your affection.”

“One can try,” retorted Ginny defiantly.

“What do you mean?”

There was a long pause, as Ginny twisted the ends of her scarf.
“I shall ask him if he wishes to see me again,” she said finally.

Harry and Hermione exchanged glances. This was Draco’s chance to leave.

---

Draco paced around his room. So Pansy had been messing around with the Weasley girl’s head. Trust her to stick her nose into something that wasn’t her business.

He furrowed his brow in confusion. Surprisingly, he didn’t feel as happy or relieved as he should normally have been. He was free now. He would have all his evenings to himself, and he could stay firmly in the middle of his circle of Slytherins.

He thought of her again, smiling up at him. He thought of her ridiculous outfits. He thought of how her hair fell across her face. He thought of all those times he had forgotten he was supposed to dislike her.

He stopped pacing and sat down heavily. He realized that she might not want to speak to him again, that this was probably the end.

And he suddenly realized that he would miss her.



--x--x--
Confessions by ragdollangel
Title: A Matter of Identity
Author: ragdollangel
Categories: Humor, Romance
Disclaimer: They aren't mine (I wish they were). All hail JKR.
Feedback: I love reviews… almost as much as I love Draco ::sighs::
Date Posted: 28th April, 2005

[Author’s Note] Thanks again to everyone who took the time to review (and for all the nice stuff you said *blushes*) A big thank you to Chuya for the beta-ing.
And in honor of my turning nineteen today, I thought I’d post two chapters ^_^ (though they are rather short)




Confessions


Ginny was early this time. And as she stood there, waiting for Draco, she thought about what Pansy had said.

Maybe he really didn’t care, and only did come because he was obliged to.

She bit her lip uncertainly.
Her mother had told her it wasn’t proper to do this, but she had to. She had to ask him. She knew he wouldn’t lie to her.

---

Draco stared moodily out of the window. He hated the fact that he was confused. It should have been the easiest thing in the world.

Just tell her that it’s over, and you’re sorry.
That’s what Hermione had told him.

If only it was that easy.

He didn’t want to tell her.
He didn’t want her to look lost and bewildered. He didn’t want her to stop smiling. For some inexplicable reason, the boy who thought he could never care about anyone else, found himself trying to think of a way to make this easier for her.

What was wrong with him? He banged his fist against the wall in frustration. She was just a girl—and a Weasley girl to boot . Surely that, if nothing else, should have repelled him instantly.
But it didn’t.

He sighed. He didn’t care what they said. It was only a few more days. He could play along until then.

---

They walked in silence for a while. He looked stonily ahead, and she didn’t say a word.

Then she took a deep breath and looked at him.

“Is it true that you meet with me only because my mother persuaded you to?”

Draco was silent for a minute. He took a deep breath.
“That’s how it started out,” he said finally, “and I honestly didn’t expect anything to change.”

He paused and touched her arm.
“But it has changed.”

Ginny sighed.
“I wish I could believe that, but I do not think I can.”

Draco frowned. This was going to be harder than he thought.
Maybe he just ought to forget it. Let her solve her own problems—she wasn’t his concern.

He looked at her, scowling at no one in particular. The sunlight red was on her autumn hair. He half-smiled.
He’d try one last time.

“Lady Elspeth, listen to me. I apologize for not telling you this earlier. But I do mean it when I say that I care for you now. And even though your mother has told me to leave, I cannot stop myself from needing to see you.”

Ginny looked thoughtful.
“Do you really mean that, my Lord?”

“Yes I do, Ginny.”

He caught himself. Ginny??

She looked at him confusedly.

“That is a term of endearment that I picked up during one of my travels,” he explained hurriedly.

She smiled and kept walking.

Damn, thought Draco. Damn, damn, damn.

---

“So where is she?” asked Ron.

“Uh...” started Hermione reluctantly, “I think they patched up their argument.”

“WHAT?”

“Look Ron,” said Hermione patiently, “there’s nothing you can do. It’s just a few days more. I’m sure it’ll work out fine.”

“Are you completely mental?” yelled Ron, “They patched up their argument?? Are you telling me that Malfoy wants to keep going out with my sister??? Who knows what he’s up to??? He could be filling her up with dark magic, he could be doing something evil… And you just sit here and tell me that they patched things up???”

“It’s not like that-”

“What do you mean it’s not like that?? I’ve seen him in the library, sitting in the corner with a book and taking notes. I swear he’s up to no good.”

“I don’t think it’s that bad,” said Harry, trying to calm him down, “because he knows we-”

“Oh, what do you care??” burst Ron. “She’s not your sister.”
He stormed out of the room.

“Ouch,” said Harry.

“If it’s any consolation, I’m sure he didn’t mean that.”

“It’s okay,” said Harry, sighing. “Although I can see where Ginny gets her foul temper from.”

He thought for a minute.
“I have noticed that Malfoy seems to spent an abnormal amount of time in the library. Do you think Ron could be right?”

Hermione looked thoughtful.

---

Ginny was walking back to the dormitory when Ron caught sight of her. Ignoring Harry’s protests, he rushed up to her.

“Ginny, listen to me,” he said breathlessly. “I know you’re in there somewhere. You have to stop this. That bloke is no good. You can’t keep going out with him.”

“Stop it this instant,” cried Ginny. “How dare you call me that? How dare you? I have never heard such impudence before.”

“The boy is a bad egg,” persisted Ron. “I absolutely forbid you to see him again.”

“Get away from me this instant,” said Ginny frigidly. “I have tolerated you for long enough. Your impudence and insubordination is despicable. Referring to Lord James as an egg…”

She glared at him.
“I do not want to see you ever again. Get off this property immediately. I will find a much more suitable replacement.”

She gave him another withering glance, and swept away.

Ron glared after her furiously.
“I’m going to kill him.”


--x—x--
A Peek Behind the Scenes by ragdollangel
Title: A Matter of Identity
Author: ragdollangel
Categories: Humor, Romance
Disclaimer: They aren't mine (I wish they were). All hail JKR.
Feedback: I love reviews… almost as much as I love Draco ::sighs::
Date Posted: 28th April, 2005

[Author’s Notes] Ooh, I like this chapter. No particular reason. I just enjoyed writing it =)




A Peek Behind the Scenes


Ron stormed up the hallway to Draco. Harry was two paces behind, breathlessly trying to stop him.

“You bloody git!”

Draco raised an eyebrow.
“I see we are very eloquent today.”

“Shut up, Malfoy,” yelled Ron. “I don’t know what you think you’re doing with Ginny, but I swear I’ll kill you if you so much as lay a finger on her.”

“There, there, Perkins,” said Draco pleasantly. “Don’t you have a shed to sweep or something? And I really think you need to see someone about that nasty little temper of yours.”
He smiled at him infuriatingly.

Harry had to forcibly restrain an understandably crazed Ron from charging at Draco.

---

“Why Malfoy?”
Ron sat with his head buried in his hands.

“Well, maybe Draco isn’t that bad a person when he’s with her,” said Hermione falteringly.

Ron stared at her in disbelief.
“Mental,” he said. “As usual.”

Hermione rolled her eyes.
“He makes her feel special—it’s understandable. In that age of Muggles, people were so much more charming than they are now.”

He sighed dramatically.
“But there are so many nice blokes here that I wouldn’t mind her being with. Why does she have to hang on to every word he says??”

“Maybe you don’t realize this,” said Hermione sharply, “but not all girls swoon over ‘What’s your favorite Quiddich team’?”

“I don’t say that,” protested Ron weakly.

---

“Lord Giles,” said Ginny demurely. “May I have a word with you?”

“Certainly.”

Harry looked around frantically for Hermione, but she was nowhere to be seen. Somehow he always felt rather nervous around ‘Elspeth’. She treated him with slight disdain, and kept out of his way as far as possible.

“This is about my mother,” started Ginny.
She paused.

Harry looked at her inquiringly.

“I am not sure how I may put this delicately,” continued Ginny. “But if you should wish to pursue my mother, I would like you to know that I have no word against it.”

Harry stared at her--uncomprehending at first, and then as realization dawned on him, he blushed furiously.

“I think you have misunderstood,” he said, struggling for words. “There is nothing whatsoever between your mother and myself. Why would you assume such a thing?”

But Ginny merely smiled.

---

“Is Ginny around?” asked Ron cautiously.
Ally was in a corner of the Common Room, reading.

She looked up at him.
“I think she went to see Harry.”

“Oh, good,” he said, and sat down heavily.

“Lost your job?” asked Ally, a slight smile on her face.

“Yes,” replied Ron shortly.
He stared moodily into space.

“Ron,” said Ally gently. “You know this isn’t really Ginny, don’t you?”

“I know,” he mumbled.

“Mary the maidservant,” said Ally ruefully. “I have never heard of anything more clichéd than that. And Perkins the horse boy??”
She grinned. “You have to admit that it’s quite funny.”

“I guess it is,” said Ron grudgingly. “But not when she accuses you of pinching food.”

“She did not!” Ally’s eyes widened in comical disbelief.

Ron smiled.
“Sure she did. And then she goes and tells me that she’s tired of my insolence and insubordination, or some rot like that, and says if she sees me again she’ll clap me in irons.”
He shook his head.
“That was my baby sister.”

“You should have been there when she hurled the brush across the room,” giggled Ally, pushing a lock of hair behind her ear. “I thought she’d put someone’s eye out.”

Ron chuckled.
He shuffled his toe along the carpet for a minute.

“So what’s your favorite Quiddich team?” he asked finally.

---

“What is it, Mr. Potter?” Madame Pomfrey asked.

“Erm, it’s about Ginny,” said Harry. “Two weeks are almost over, and she still seems to very firmly believe that she is Lady Elspeth. Do you think something went wrong and this is permanent?”

“I doubt that,” she responded briskly.
“Are you finding it difficult?” Her eyes twinkled for a minute.

“Not exactly,” said Harry. “Since Malfoy came along it’s been easier.”
He frowned.
“I was very surprised when he agreed to help. Do you think it was a good idea?”

“I think you may be more than surprised when it comes to Mr. Malfoy,” said Madame Pomfrey cryptically.

---

The library was as quiet as usual.

Draco shoved a heap of books aside and put away his parchment and ink. He looked up to find Hermione standing there, her face unreadable.

“Sod off, Granger,” he said in a low voice.

“You’re reading up on Muggle etiquette?” asked Hermione in disbelief. “Muggles from ages past?”

“Aren’t you the bright one?” muttered Draco. “Tomorrow we can move on to bigger words.”

Hermione ignored him, her face still incredulous.
“What’s going on? Why on earth are you doing this?”

“Look here,” he said thinly. “The Weasley girl isn’t here, so I don’t really need to be polite. Get the fuck out of here.”

Hermione sat down beside him.
“It’s all about Ginny isn’t it? It is different for you now.”

Draco got up and started walking away.

“Draco, listen to me,” she called out. “This is Elspeth. Everything will be different once she’s Ginny again.”

But he had gone.

Hermione kicked at his chair furiously. Could things get any worse?

---

Draco and Ginny strolled down the path that evening. Ally watched them silently. Somehow, she knew that something had changed.

It was the way Ginny looked at him. It was the way Draco walked, matching his step with hers. It was the way he smiled at her.

Ally shivered and turned away. She suddenly thought about what would happen when Ginny regained her memory. Everything would go back to normal—just the way it used to be. She felt a pang of regret as she realized that Ginny would never walk with him after that.

And Draco would become Malfoy again.



--x—x--
Point of No Return by ragdollangel
Title: A Matter of Identity
Author: ragdollangel
Categories: Humor, Romance
Disclaimer: They aren't mine (I wish they were). All hail JKR.
Feedback: I love reviews… almost as much as I love Draco ::sighs::
Date Posted: 29th April, 2005

[Author’s Note] Ha. I can’t seem to stop posting =) But this story is officially completed, and I’ll post the last two chapters tomorrow…



Point of No Return


“Do you know what Ron would say if he knew?” asked Hermione. “Draco Malfoy starting to care for his little sister?”
She paused and shook her head in disbelief.
“I should have seen it coming. I can’t believe this.”

“What do we do now?” asked Harry. “Two weeks are almost up, and nothing seems to be happening. She just can’t keep meeting Malfoy like this. Can’t you say something to her?”

Hermione sighed. “It won’t help, Harry. And you know that.”
She buried her face in her hands.
“I’m just so tired. These days I’m always tired.”

“I know,” said Harry, putting an arm around her.
“But it’ll be over soon.”

---

“So how much longer do you think this will go on for?” Ron asked Ally. They were sitting on the steps and munching on his collection of assorted sweets.

“Dunno,” mumbled Ally, her mouth full.

“She spends way too much time with that ferret,” Ron grimaced as he chewed on a particularly hard piece of toffee. “It isn’t good for her health.”

“He isn’t really all that bad,” said Ally.

“Not you too!” cried Ron in disbelief. “Why is everyone suddenly sticking up for Malfoy?”

“Well, he is rather sweet to her,” said Ally rummaging through the paper bag.

Sweet?” Ron gasped. “Malfoys aren’t sweet—they’re poisonous.”

He took the bag from her and emptied it onto his lap. He shook it several times, covering his knees with a layer of powdered sugar.
“Sweet,” he muttered to himself. “She says he’s sweet.”

“Oh, shut up,” frowned Ally. “Do you have anything else to eat?”

---

Later that evening when Hermione was helping Ginny get dressed for her walk, she noticed that she was unusually quiet.

“Is something wrong?” she asked.

“Yes,” replied Ginny slowly.

Hermione waited.

‘I don’t know how to say this,” Ginny said finally, “but I think I may have developed strong feelings for Lord James.”

“What do you mean?” asked Hermione sharply.

“I think that I might be in love.”

Hermione turned Ginny around to face her.
“You are not in love.”

“I believe that I am,” replied Ginny evenly.

“No you are not,” said Hermione, struggling to keep her voice calm.
“Trust me on this. You are in love with someone who isn’t real, and you deserve better.”

“How dare you speak of Lord James in that manner?” asked Ginny angrily. “He is a gentleman and a fine match for me.”
She looked at Hermione sullenly.
“And he is the only person here who actually cares about me.”

“Stop it,” sighed Hermione, “I’m just so tired. You are a spoilt brat and don’t have any consideration for anyone except yourself. Do you think this is easy for me? I never wanted to be anyone’s mother.”

She stopped and took a deep breath.
“I can’t do this anymore,” she said finally, and left the room.

Ginny stood there alone, too numb to speak.

---

Draco knew there was something wrong even before she spoke. Her face was pale, and her hair fell around her face in wisps.
He tried cheering her up, but all she could manage was a faint smile.

“Can we sit here for a while?” she asked quietly.

He nodded and they sat down, leaning against the tree trunk. She bit her lip and played with a blade of grass. A light drizzle of rain started to fall.

“What happened?” asked Draco gently.

“My mother and I had a disagreement again,” said Ginny in a small voice, “And it hurts me deeply.”

“And it is not just that,” she continued softly, “Last night I had a dream that left me very unsettled.”

She looked at Draco with troubled eyes.
“I dreamt that I was not who I am today. I dreamt that I was one of the common folk. I saw a woman, and many children—and in my dream I was one of those children.”

She paused miserably.
“What troubled me the most, was that I seemed to recognize her. I do not understand all of this.”

Draco tried to think of something to say, but all he could think of was that they were coming to the end of this, and he didn’t want to let her go.

“I am sorry I cannot be of more help,” he said.

She looked at him.
“I feel better when I speak with you,” she said simply.

He looked down at her, and brushed a strand of hair off her cheek.
“So do I,” he said quietly.

“Sometimes I feel so lonely,” she whispered, “My mother—she doesn’t really know me, and I do not have many people to talk to. They all think that I do not care, that I am cold as ice.”

“I know,” he said gently, drawing her closer to him. “I understand more than you could ever imagine.”

He looked down at her trusting face, only inches away from his. The sunlight flitted on her hair, and he caught the faintest whiff of rain.

For a minute he almost told her. He knew, after all, that she was bound to find out soon.

Maybe he stopped thinking rationally, maybe he just didn’t care… Whatever it was, he didn’t tell her. He didn’t tell her that this was all a lie, that in real life she was in a completely different world from his, that he was nowhere as noble as she thought he was.

That in real life he would never have fallen in love with her.

Instead he pulled her towards him, feeling her hair against his face, her breath against his cheek, her lips against his. Her kiss tasted exactly like he’d imagined it: raspberries and smoky roses. He held her close to him, willing himself not to think of anything else.

For a while that seemed enough.


---x---x---
Ginny Weasley by ragdollangel
Title: A Fate Worse Than Death
Author: ragdollangel
Categories: Humor, Romance
Disclaimer: They aren't mine (although I wish they were). All hail JKR.
Feedback: I love reviews… almost as much as I love Draco ::sighs::
Date Posted: 1st May, 2005




Ginny Weasley


Ginny woke up with a start. Sunlight streamed into the room, and blinked awkwardly-she felt strangely disoriented.
She caught sight of a dark haired girl shuffling in through the door.
“Ally?” she called out falteringly.

Ally froze for a minute.
“Ginnnnny!” she finally squealed, rushing in and hugging her furiously. “Oh Ginny, I’m so glad you’re back!”

“Back?” asked Ginny, faintly puzzled.
“Don’t you remember anything?”
Ginny looked at her strangely. “I just had a bunch of really bizarre dreams, and I thought I had a headache. Now I’m sure I have one.”

“Remember the spell?” Ally persisted. “The Memory Retention spell from Hermione’s book. Don’t you remember?”

“Vaguely”, replied Ginny, after a pause.
Her eyes widened.
“I got caught, didn’t I?”

“It’s slightly more complicated than that,” said Ally apologetically, and proceeded to tell her exactly what had happened.

---

Ginny listened to her silently, occasionally putting in a word when she remembered something. She cringed as she heard about her tantrums and giggled at Ron’s predicaments. She was remembering-slowly.

Ally watched her face carefully as she talked to her. Ginny didn’t say a word when she mentioned Draco, and just nodded slightly.
“I’m so sorry,” said Ginny slowly. “I can’t believe that I was such a holy terror…”

“Aw, don’t worry about it sweetie,” grinned Ally. “I’m just so glad you’re back.”
She grabbed Ginny by the arm.
“I can’t wait to tell everyone!” she exclaimed, dragging her out of the room. “C’mon, let’s go find them!”

---

“Oh, that’s okay,” grinned Hermione, hugging Ginny. “What are friends for, if not to be trampled on and ill-treated?”

Ginny grinned back at her.
“Mother?”

“Don’t you dare.”

Ginny furrowed her brow.
“Does Draco know?”

“Yes,” replied Hermione quietly. “I told him as soon as I heard.”
She paused for a minute.
“Ginny, do you remember anything from the past two weeks?”

“I’m not sure,” said Ginny slowly. “It’s a bit like a dream. The more I try to remember it, the vaguer it becomes.”

“Well, Draco was exceptionally nice to you.”

Ginny flushed and picked at her shirt.
“I remember the walks,” she muttered.

Hermione was suddenly reminded of Elspeth when she talked about Lord James, but shoved that thought aside.
“So have you had anything to eat?” she asked briskly.

---

Ron was over the moon. He told everyone who would stop to listen that Ginny was okay again, and that he could now sleep peacefully. He made Ginny listen to what he had gone through again and again and again-until she finally threatened to give herself another Mind Switch.

Harry had given her a peck on the cheek and told her that she never failed to amaze him. He had never mentioned his last conversation with her to Hermione, and desperately hoped that Ginny had forgotten all about it as well.

Draco didn’t say much. In fact he preferred not to speak about it at all. If it had upset him, he didn’t show it.

He had bumped into Hermione and Ginny a few times in the hallway, but had ignored them and walked away without a word or a second glance.
Hermione had wondered if she ought to tell Ginny about her conversation with Draco in the library, then decided against it. Apart from her extreme embarrassment, Ginny was definitely feeling better and had started attending her classes again. It was probably all for the best that this ended cleanly.

---

It was almost a week later when Ally and Ginny were sprawled out on her bed, talking.

“Oh, I remember that,” giggled Ginny as Ally described one of her fits of rage. “What an absolute ninny I was.”
She sighed.
“It’s awful. When I walk into a room, and someone smiles at me, I’m always thinking-oh no, they must be remembering something highly dumb that I did.”

“Oh, come on,” protested Ally, laughing. ‘At least you kept everyone entertained.”
She ducked as Ginny tossed a pillow at her.

“Seriously,” continued Ginny, “I don’t know what to say. I practically drove all of you away.”

“Not him though,” said Ally abruptly.

Ginny was quiet as she thought about Draco. The boy she had known before was a spoilt, self-centered snob, who made her friends’ lives miserable.
The boy he had been those two weeks was charming, helpful and funny. Why would he even bother to do all that?
She remembered the walks, sunsets and laughter. His smile, his hand on her cheek…

“He kissed me,” said Ginny slowly.
She looked at Ally with a mixture of bewilderment and fear.
“He didn’t have to do that. Why did he?

“Do you know that you told Hermione that you loved him?” asked Ally gently.

Ginny shook her head wordlessly.

“Does Ron know?” she asked after a minute.

“No,” replied Ally.

“Well, he simply can’t find out,” said Ginny grimly. “I don’t know what he’d think-or do.”
She paused again.
“D’you know what?” she asked, furrowing her brow. “Ron’s been different these past few days. Mooning around all over the place, and not really listening to people. I don’t know what’s wrong with him.”

There was a strained silence.

Ginny stared in surprise as Ally blushed crimson and suddenly became unusually interested in her fingernails.

“Oh boy,” grinned Ginny. “The excitement never ends here, does it?”


--x-x--
How It Ends by ragdollangel
Title: A Fate Worse Than Death
Author: ragdollangel
Categories: Humor, Romance
Disclaimer: They aren't mine (although I wish they were). All hail JKR.
Feedback: I love reviews… almost as much as I love Draco ::sighs::
Date Posted: 1st May, 2005




How It Ends


“What’s wrong?” Ally whispered to Ginny during Herbology.

“Nothing,” Ginny whispered back.

“Nonsense,” persisted Ally. “You’ve been acting strange all morning. What’s wrong?”

“Not now,” mouthed Ginny, as she deliberately turned away to listen to Professor Sprout.

Fifteen minutes later, Ally cornered her and raised an eyebrow.
“Well,” said Ginny grudgingly, “I was wondering if I should thank Draco-myself. I mean, he was awfully nice to me, and I think it would only be polite.”

“I’ll bet,” grinned Ally. “You just want an excuse to see him again, don’t you?”

Ginny rolled her eyes.
“I never said-”

“You don’t need to,” interrupted Ally. “I know.”
She thought for a minute.
“Let me see what I can do...”

“I don’t want you to do anything,” protested Ginny.

“Oh, don’t worry,” said Ally. “I’ll make it very subtle.”

---

Draco stared at her in disbelief.
“You want me to go meet the Weasley girl again?”

Ally nodded.

“You’re out of your mind,” said Draco, shaking his head. “All of you are. First you tell a bloke to walk the girl, then you make him stop. Now you want him to start all over again. It’s like a bloody escort service.”

Ally tapped her foot impatiently.
“Harry and the others have nothing to do with this,” she said. “Ginny just wants to thank you.”

“I don’t need thanks,” said Draco gruffly. “I don’t do favors.”

“So are you going to be there?”

“Absolutely not,” he said firmly.

---

Two hours later, Draco stood under the tree, muttering to himself. This was by far the most absurd and irrational thing he had ever done. Apart from pretending he was a Muggle Lord. And kissing a Weasley.
It was funny how all the crazy things involved that girl.

He frowned. She was late. Not that he cared, anyway. He was just here to listen to her, nod politely, and finally get away from this mess.
That was all he wanted.
Of course that was all he wanted.

Ah, there she was. Finally.
He wrinkled his nose.
She was wearing jeans.
It somehow seemed a bit scandalous to see her in jeans.

He took a closer look.
She didn’t look half bad, though.

---

“Hi,” said Ginny, her voice strained.

“So you’re here,” said Draco.
He immediately kicked himself for such a spectacular opening line. Not that he needed one anyway. He was just here to let the girl talk.

“Yeah,” replied Ginny absently.
She took a deep breath.
“Look,” she started, “I know it’s been a week, but I just wanted to tell you that I really appreciate what you did.”

“No problem,” said Draco shortly.

“And I’m sorry if I inconvenienced you or anything. It must have been awful for you, to miss all your Quiddich practice and-”

“It’s fine,” interrupted Draco.

“But why did you do it?” persisted Ginny. “You didn’t have to stick to it for the entire two weeks. None of the others did.”

Draco grimaced.
“Did it never occur to you that I might have actually liked it?”

Ginny shook her head, her eyes fixed on the toes of her sneakers.

“Well, I did,” he said.

She faltered for a minute and looked up at him.
“Why did you kiss me?” she asked quietly.

Draco flinched.
There was a long pause.
“Because I wanted to,” he said finally. “Because you looked remarkably pretty. Because I guessed that it would be our last day together… Take your pick.”

Ginny flushed.

“All you seem to think,” continued Draco, “is that it was so extremely good of me to play Sir James to your Elspeth.”
He grinned at her.
“Let me tell you something. If I hadn’t wanted to do it, I wouldn’t have.”

Ginny shuffled her toe in the dust.
“I think I’d better go.”

“How about a walk?” asked Draco abruptly.

“A walk?”

“Yeah,” said Draco. “We haven’t done that in a while, and it ought to be fun.”

“Fun?”

“What are you?” asked Draco peevishly. “Some kind of bloody echo?”

Ginny looked at him uncertainly.
“I don’t know if I-”

“Yes or no?”

“I don’t know if that’s a good idea,” said Ginny hurriedly, “I mean, I want to, but it’s way too complicated. I just finished apologizing for something that wasn’t altogether my fault, and something like this would actually make it my fault again.”

“What on earth are you talking about?” asked Draco exasperatedly.

“It’s Ron,” said Ginny. “Well, it’s Harry and Hermione as well, because they don’t like you all that much either. But it’s mostly Ron. He hasn’t stopped talking about how much he had to go through with me. Do you have any idea what he-”

“Let’s make this easy,” said Draco.
He bowed graciously.
“Lady Elspeth,” his eyes twinkled, “would you allow me to accompany you this fine evening?”

Ginny hesitated for the millionth of a second, then made up her mind.
“Certainly, my Lord,” she said and smiled.

---

They walked in silence for a while, not knowing exactly what to say.
“You liked Elspeth,” said Ginny finally. “Do you think you could like Ginny as well?”

“I do like Ginny,” he grinned. “Elspeth could be a bit of a bore sometimes.”

She grinned back at him.

They walked down the path together, Draco shortening his stride to match her step as usual. Occasionally her shoulder brushed lightly against his arm, and they smiled at each other.

Although there was a lot left to talk about, so much more to explain, and an irate Ron to handle, Ginny knew this was just the beginning.

And she was content.



-fin-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Author's Note] Okay, so I finally finished this.... A big thank you to everyone who reviewed and to Chuya for the beta-ing.
Oh, enchanted18, I'm going to be really nice and give you my Ronniekins *aww* ( I get to keep Draco, though)
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=2566