While You Were Sleeping by Burgosdamasco
Summary: During the final battle Ginny falls into a coma only to awaken twelve years later.
Categories: Works in Progress Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Romance, Angst, Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 20988 Read: 17773 Published: Jun 13, 2004 Updated: Jul 07, 2004

1. Comatose by Burgosdamasco

2. The Bastard Weasley by Burgosdamasco

3. Dashed Dreams by Burgosdamasco

4. To Forgive Is to Forget by Burgosdamasco

5. Love Lost by Burgosdamasco

6. Pain and Suffering by Burgosdamasco

Comatose by Burgosdamasco
Chapter 1

Faster and faster she ran as the coldness overtook her. Ginny felt exhaustion, every muscle cramping and aching as the Death Eaters started to close in. Just a little further and she would reunite with the Order. Surely she could hold out for a little while longer? Nervousness started to settle within. She couldn't find the rendezvous point. Ginny's breath became shallow as fear enveloped her. Where was she? Collapsed buildings and bodies littered the overturned cobblestone street. A broken sign swayed in the November wind. Diagon Alley. Ginny screamed falling to the ground feeling blood trickle down her legs where she had scraped them. Black cloaked figures hovered above her.

"CRUCIO!"

Ginny writhed in pain feeling as if every nerve was on fire. They had tortured her for what seemed like hours. Give up the Order? Never. She had already lost 2 brothers to the war. She cried for Percy and Charlie as she lay broken on the road that was once Diagon Alley. Their deaths would not be in vain.

Soon she would be joining her brothers. Already Ginny could feel the darkness reaching for her, tempting her to cross over. It would be so easy. No more pain. No more suffering. Life had other plans for the youngest Weasley . Death released it's grip on Ginny letting her fall into the arms of a most unlikely savior.

Ginny opened her half lidded eyes to find herself being held by a Deatheater. His face hidden behind the black robes and mask that marked him as a follower of Voldemort. "I won't let you die." She felt his hand, cool and smooth against her cheek, "I won't let you die."

Opening her eyes Ginny was almost blinded by the bright sunlight that streamed through the room. Slowly she raised herself from her bed trying to focus. Why did she feel so weak? Ginny stretched, for the first time viewing the room. Ginny was no longer in the warmth of the Burrow but in what she recognized as the sterile confines of St. Mungo's

I must've been hurt in the battle, she thought to herself. Funny but she couldn't remember a thing. Removing the covers Ginny inspected her skin. No wounds nor bruises, except for a small linear scar on her lower abdomen. What bothered Ginny was how obviously thin she had become. How long have I been here? Tentatively she dangled her feet over the edge of her bed. Weakness over came her. Ginny cursed silently. If there was one thing she hated more than any, it was the feeling of utter helplessness.

A mediwitch entered carrying a vial of a brewing potion. The blond mediwitch hadn't yet looked Ginny's way, immediately turning her back to Ginny as she shut the door behind her.

"Am I glad to see you!" Ginny exclaimed. The sooner she was able to leave the hospital the better. She could only imagine the worried looks on her family's faces. Ginny didn't expect what happened next. Spinning around the mediwitch looked directly at Ginny and screamed, dropping the vial and its contents to the ground.

***

"A word please, Professor Malfoy." Hermione Potter stood in the doorway waving at a young blonde Gryffindor boy in the front of the Dark Arts Class.

"If I even hear one word, nay even one breath from any of you, it shall be your last. Work on your vampire essay the remainder of class. Understood?" Draco said as he walked out into the hallway.

A trained chorus of 1st year voices answered, "Yes Professor Malfoy."

"What's so important that you had to drag me away from my class Headmistress?" Draco was clearly irritated. Couldn't she see that educating impossibly idiotic Gryffindors was a task he needed to devote much time to? Even after all these years he still harbored slight disdain for her position. While he slaved away in the classroom, the headmistress was doing paperwork or off to important meetings that the rest of the Hogwarts staff was too busy actually teaching to attend.

"I need to pull Alex out of this class."

Draco's voice escalated with each word. "The only smart Gryffindor out of the bunch and you want to take him out of class?! Voldemort may be dead but Defense against the Dark Arts is a very important subject. I absolutely refuse to allow this to happen. It would be a travesty. Tell me,is this Molly Weasley's doing?!"

"Calm down Malfoy, it's just for today." Hermione's eyes danced with excitement. "Ginny has awoken. She's out of her coma!"

Draco drew in a sharp breath. "A-are you sure?" not quite believing what he had heard. No one, not Hermione, not Potter , nor the Weasley's knew how long he had waited to hear the news.

"Harry and Ron told me she's up in bed talking. Still having a hard time ambulating but that will come in time. Certain things will come as a shock when she finds out all that went on in her absence. So much has changed. From what Harry told me, she's been asking about the rest of the Weasley clan. That's a surprise right there. I just hope she'll be able to deal with the news I'm about to give her."

Draco did his best to conjure up a smile, "From what I remember Ginny was a strong woman. It might be difficult to hear but she will learn to accept what occurred. Give my regards to the Weasley's and to Ginny." Again he had to watch from the sidelines. He was more connected to her than they would ever be. It was his selfish Malfoy pride that prevented him from being truly happy. Why hadn't she asked for him?

***

Twelve long years she had been in a coma. Voldemort was dead, now a distant memory. Peace reigned in the wizarding world . Twelve years of weddings, births and deaths had passed. So much she had missed and those years could never again be recovered.

"Give me a mirror!" she snapped at Ron. Intently she studied her now 29 year old face. Small lines here and there, still the same yet very different. A sob choked her throat as she sent the mirror crashing against the wall.

"Gin dear..." Molly sat on the edge of the bed embracing her only daughter as the rest of the Weasley's surrounded Ginny giving her comfort with their presence.

"Aunt Ginny." A soft spoken tiny black haired girl who looked every bit like the Patil sisters looked up at her with big brown eyes. This particular Pail with a smattering of freckles across her nose held out a piece of parchment. Wiping the tears away Ginny looked down at the small child.

"This is Anjali Weasley ." Ron picked her up, "my daughter." he said in a voice which held more pride than Ginny had ever heard. Ginny couldn't help to see how much Ron had changed. With one hand carrying his daughter, his other hand was firmly wrapped around Padma . A faint smile played at her lips along with a twinge of sadness.

Still holding out the parchment, little Anjali offered her present again, "For you Aunt Ginny."

"Th-Thank you." brushing away tears to see, she opened the parchment . A bright colorful crayon portrait greeted her. entitled The Weasley Family by Anjali Weasley.

"So you won't forget us."

Biting her lips to control her sobs Ginny opened her arms to Anjali. Ron placed little Anjali in Ginny's embrace as the whole Weasley clan gathered together shedding tears in sadness and happiness. Ginny Weasley was back from the land of dreams.

"So let me get this straight,Fred and Angelina are married with two boys." Two very light brown energetic Weasley's were running in and out of the room. They may have looked like Angelina but they were in every other way Fred.

Already the amount of Weasley's had quadrupled. Bill and Fleur had 3 boys and 2 girls which came as no surprise to her. George was married to the former Alicia Spinnet. Alicia had been quite busy having 2 sets of twin girls, twice in succession.

Another marriage she had missed was Harry and Hermione. No children had yet graced the couple thus far. Learning that Hermione was now Headmistress of Hogwarts, Ginny suspected the reasoning why. Poor Hermione probably had more than enough children to worry about back at Hogwarts.

Her father was now the Minister Of Magic. A position he so rightly deserved.

Ron and Harry played for the Chudley Canons. That wasn't the most shocking news. What had almost caused her heart to fail was that they had won the Quidditch cup twice.

"Where's Hermione?" Ginny asked. The room suddenly becoming so quiet one could hear a pin drop.

"Uh... she had to pick up something at Hogwarts." Harry said quickly averting his gaze from Ginny's now very suspicious one.

Something wasn't right. An undercurrent of tension seemed to fill the room. Anjali started to jump up and down, "Alex! Alex!" Ron immediately shushed his now pouting four year old daughter.

Ginny drew her eyebrows together in confusion. Before she could question her brother, Hermione appeared in the doorway. The question was momentarily forgotten. Ginny was immediately drawn into another hug,

"Oh Gin we've missed you so."

Ginny couldn't really say the same. In her mind she was still 17, as she saw Hermione, Ron and Harry off to war. Only instead of the mature faces that stared back at her, yesterday they had been a bit more inexperienced, naive and a tad bit innocent. They had been too young at 17 and 18 to face the fight of their lives.

Ginny broke away from Hermione's embrace, dabbing at eyes that were bordered with tears. That's when she saw him. A pale little boy who looked to be no more than 11 or 12 hiding behind Hermione. With his blond hair he looked very much out of place amongst the sea of reds and brunettes. His brown eyes looked up at her curiously. He looks just like an angel. Something else about the boy was so very familiar.

Ginny could have sworn Harry said he and Hermione were childless. Perhaps Ginny heard wrong. Could Hermione have given birth to such a beautiful little creature? Maybe he was Fleur's.

"Who might you be?" Ginny asked noticing her mother bite her lip in nervousness.

"Alex Weasley." He answered shyly stepping away from Ginny and putting his small hand into his grandmother's.

Absolutely adorable, Ginny thought. "Who do you belong to?"

"I live with Grandma and Grandpa Weasley."

Was he Percy's or Charlie' s? That would be the only explanation as to why he would be living with mum and dad. But she had seen her brother's die, leaving no children behind. Maybe he didn't understand the question. Motioning to the rest of her family that had become once again unusually quiet for Weasley's she asked, "Which one of my brothers is your father?"

Ginny immediately regretted asking such a question, tears welling up in his small brown eyes. Alex sniffed "I don't have a father!"

Arthur knelt down to his level allowing him to cry on his shoulder, "There, there."

What in all Hades was going on? "Can someone please tell me why I made Alex cry?" It killed her to see the poor boy in tears and to know she had been the cause of it.

"There isn't an easy way to break this to you…….." Hermione started then paused nodding her head towards Arthur and Molly.

Arthur and Molly promising to come back in a few hours exited with a crying Alex in tow. Hesitantly Alex looked back at Ginny before following his grandparents, her gaze catching and holding his. She had the sudden urge to hold him in her arms and tell him everything would be ok.

"Just tell me what's going on. I'm 29 now, I think I can handle it." Ginny crossed her arms in irritation. If there was one thing she hated it was secrets being kept from her.

"Ginny, you were captured by Death Eaters and held prisoner for 6 weeks. You were barely alive when we found you." Harry stated. How odd. Ginny couldn't remember being held prisoner. Six weeks. Surely she should have some memory? What Ginny could remember was the feeling of being chased. The terrifying dreams that had plagued Ginny were never dreams at all. Had she been relieving that night for the past twelve years?

Awkward glances were shared as if not knowing how to proceed. Ginny wouldn't have any of it. "I've wasted 12 years of my life. I don't intend for you all to waste another minute – so, on with the story."

Ron continued, "You were brought to St. Mungo's where they announced that you were comatose." Ron's voice started to crack, "Those damn Death Eaters had cursed you with everything under the sun save for the Avada Kedavra. We thought you were going to die." A hot tear rolled down his cheek while Padma patted his hand, whispering that everything would be alright.

Hermione finished, seeing that Ron was unable to do so. "Something kept your body fighting. Even though you weren't with us your body knew it had to live. It-it had a purpose."

"Hermione you're talking in riddles! What purpose? I don't see what this has to do with making a little boy cry." Ginny was becoming more than a little frustrated at the runaround she was receiving from her family. A simple answer was all she wanted.

Taking a deep breath, Hermione proceeded past the point of no return. Ginny had to hear this, if not for her sake then for Alex's. "You were six weeks pregnant when we found you Ginny. Alex Weasley is your son."

***

The first time he had seen Alex Weasley the boy was a few months old. Molly and Arthur with carriage in hand had passed by the former Death Eater in the newly reconstructed Diagon Alley. They had been surprised to see him. The look of fright apparent on Arthur Weasley's face.

Yes, he had been in Azkaban but he had also been released thanks to the efforts of none other than Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley. Towards the end he had collaborated with the Order passing on information that led to the downfall of the Death Eaters. That didn't stop the ministry from sending him to Azkaban. Draco had committed crimes which he still had to pay for. Now that he was free, the taint of prison still followed him.

"A very beautiful baby. May I hold him?" Draco had asked.

Reluctantly Molly agreed while Arthur stood with wand at the ready, prepared to duel. Draco held the small bundle in his arms. It took a great deal of his willpower not to run off with the baby. If Molly knew how close he was to apparating with the child, she never would have let Draco hold Alex.

That's how it always was. Looking from afar. Imagining what would have happened if things had turned out differently.

Draco sat in his chair overlooking his now empty classroom, staring intently at the seat that was Alex Weasley's. The grey eyes clouded over remembering Alex's first day in his classroom. Ron and Harry had filled him with all sorts of scary stories about Draco Malfoy. Draco could tell by the look of terror on the youngster. The blonde boy with the brown eyes and demeanor that were every bit Ginny Weasley was truly scared of him and it hurt.

But he had shown them all wrong. Alex Weasley was his prize pupil. He may have been Ginny Weasley's son but he also had his father's gift with the dark arts, outscoring even the seventh years. Never did he raise his voice with the boy or take points. Alex was too young to be on the quidditch team, yet he had bought him a very expensive broom much to his grandparents dismay.

"He'll be spoiled!" Arthur and Molly Weasley were sure of it. Even Hermione thought it was an inappropriate gift from teacher to student.

"For his excellent work in Defense Against the Dark Arts." was the answer Draco had given. In his heart he knew the real answer. Because Alex is my son. Muttering locking charms on the door, Draco slumped over his desk. For the first time in 12 years Draco Malfoy cried.
The Bastard Weasley by Burgosdamasco
Chapter 2

What kind of brave Gryffindor was he? If his friends could see him now they would all laugh, an 11 year old crying like a baby. Alex was more than certain his cousins Everett and Edmond would tease him incessantly.

He allowed Grandma Molly to wipe the tears away from his face. Holding out a tissue she instructed him to blow, “Can’t have you looking a mess for your mummy.” Molly threw the tissue away, and like any good grandmother proceeded to straighten out the collar on his Gryffindor robes.

“I can do this myself Gran.” Alex said his voice still wavering as he brushed out the nonexistent wrinkles on his robes.

“Of course.” Molly Weasley agreed. He was such a neat boy, always so orderly. Watching Alex smooth back his blonde locks she was suddenly struck by how much older he looked at that moment.

In St. Mungo’s waiting room, he took a seat between his grandparents. Alex’s head rested against his grandmother’s shoulder while her arm curved around him. He didn’t care if the whole lot of the Slytherin’s saw him. Alex felt safe between the people that loved him the most. If it made him immature, then so be it.

“Why don’t we get some lunch.” Arthur stood up suddenly and clapped his hands as if this was the best idea in the world. “There’s a new restaurant in Diagon Alley that specializes in Muggle food. I hear they have something called Pizza! Afterwards we’ll come back after getting a bit of food in our tummies. What do you say Alex?”

Yes, he wanted to go and not come back, ever. Since Alex could remember he’d dreamed of this day. Now that it had come true he didn’t know exactly what to feel.

(Flashback)

“Talk about bad luck! Your first class of the day is DADA with Professor Malfoy and with the Slytherin’s no less!”

“What’s so wrong with Professor Malfoy?” Alex asked his older and wiser 2nd year cousin Everett. Rumors abounded about the former Deatheater which answered many of his questions but left many unanswered. The dreaded name Malfoy. That itself scared him. Uncle Ron and Uncle Harry had told him many interesting tales about his future teacher. His favorite was the story where Malfoy was turned into a ferret. Uncle Fred even taught him a valuable hex just in case Malfoy took his disciplining of Gryffindor’s too far.

Edmund , sitting across from his twin and Alex couldn’t help adding more fuel to the fire after seeing fear in his cousin’s eyes, “I hear his dark mark still burns. Look really close and you can see it glowing through his Deatheater robes.”

Alex shivered pushing his plate of eggs away, losing his appetite. He didn’t like hearing about Deatheaters, much less his cousin making a joke about something so serious. Alex wasn’t looking forward to having one teach him. It made him angry, his thoughts drifting to his mother who was nothing more than a vegetable at St. Mungo’s.

Edmund was on a roll not noticing his cousin’s discomfort, “ I heard from a reliable source that if you fail his tests Malfoy takes you to the forbidden forest and offers you as a sacrifice to the dark lord.”

Rolling his eyes in disbelief Alex hurriedly stood up from the Gryffindor table, “That’s an absurd lie!” The force of his voice echoed throughout the hall. Not only did he have the attention of the student body but the staff as well.

Alex wasn’t stupid. The students were talking about him. He had heard them on the train . They had been careful, what with his cousins constantly around him and the Headmistress practically family. But he had indeed heard snatches of their conversations that sent a deep pain through his chest, making him wish desperately for the Burrow.

All he wanted to do was blend in, which would be nearly impossible. Great. Just Great. Now Professor Malfoy was staring at him. Straightening himself up the best he could, Alex strode coolly and calmly out the Great Hall doors . Alex only hoped that Professor Malfoy wasn’t planning on having a human sacrifice anytime in the near future.

Alex’s quill shook as he took notes in DADA class. As far as he could see, the Professor’s arm did not glow. That did not make him any less frightened. He was actually glad that Professor Malfoy didn’t seem to pay any attention to him at all. A bit surprising since Edmund, Everett and his uncles told him that Malfoy’s hatred for Weasleys was legendary.

Alex laughed a bit remembering Aunt Angelina yelling everytime she got an owl announcing another detention for the twins. More often than not, they had almost daily attention in the DADA class.

“Professor Malfoy hates Gryffindors, especially Weasley Gryffindors!” Edmund had told him over the summer. Alex didn’t quite know if he should believe him. The twins were known throughout the Weasley family as practical jokesters and probably deserved being punished. An opinion Alex kept to himself. Being the brunt of their jokes, he had no sympathy.

One thing they said was true. He did hate Gryffindors. It was only the first day in class and the Professor was taking points left and right from his housemates – for speaking out of turn or not being on the right page. If he thought someone looked at him funny, there went 10 points. Very unfair.

The Slytherins on the other hand were being given points like candy. Marigold Crabbe was given 50 points just for raising her hand . What was Professor Git’s excuse for that?

“50 points for following directions.”

Alex didn’t have much time to dwell on how many points Gryffindor lost. Soon he was immersed in writing a DADA essay on boggarts. So immersed in the subject that he didn’t hear Marcel Zabini’s voice in his ear.

“PSST……PSST………Weasley!”

Alex tried to ignore Marcel , the last thing he wanted to do was get into trouble. Profesor Malfoy would glance up at him from time to time and Alex prayed to the Gods that his teacher wouldn’t notice something was amiss. It was becoming harder to ignore the Slytherin’s insistent voice.

“Psst…Weasley!”

Turning roughly around in his seat he looked Zabini square in the face, “What do you want? I’m trying to work!”

“I want to know who your father is.” Zabini stared at him his eyes shining in sick delight. What Alex wouldn’t do to wipe that look right off Zabini’s face.

When he was younger Alex had imagined his father as a member of the Order of the Phoenix, dying in the final battle with Voldemort. He was dead and buried somewhere unable to come back to his wife and son. His father had died a hero’s death. That’s what he wanted to believe. Now he was older, eleven to be exact and not so naive.

Grandma and Grandpa Weasley along with the rest of the family had effectively coddled and protected him, not letting him hear the rumors of his sick mother and his unknown father.It wasn’t long before his curious side won over and he had found the newspaper clippings about the war and his mother. Grandma Weasley had caught him crying.

“How could you ever love me?” he had cried.

“It doesn’t matter how you came to be. What’s important is that you were meant to be.” Molly rocked her grandson back and forth trying her best to comfort him.

Sniffling, he asked, “D-Do you think I’m evil?” What if Grandma and Grandpa didn’t love him anymore? Where would he go? What would he do?”

Molly had only held him tighter, “Oh honey, of course not. When I look at you I see Ginny and that makes me love you even more.”


Staring back at Zabini, he thought of the bit of advice his Grandpa Weasley had told him before he left for Hogwarts. “It doesn’t matter what other people think.”

How easy that sounded back at Platform 9 ¾. Why should he worry about what a slimy Slytherin thought of him. Then why oh why did it bother him? What he wouldn’t do to have his Grandma and Grandpa here.

“That’s none of your concern Zabini.” He said trying to sound as unaffected as he could with the question.

Zabini wasn’t done. He was only getting started as he let out a little chuckle. “Perhaps you should be in Slytherin. It’s common knowledge that your daddy was a Deatheater.”

“That’s not true! Take that back Zabini….or I’ll, I’ll…..”

“You’ll what? Avada Kedavra me? Do it then Weasley. That’s what your daddy would do.”

I’m a better person than Zabini. I can ignore him.

“Problems Mr Zabini? Mr Weasley?” unnoticed by both boys, Professor Malfoy was now standing over their desks, eyeing them suspiciously.

Reminds me of a sneaky snake. Alex thought. How did he not hear the Professor? Slowly he brought his eyes to meet the Professor’s and quickly looked away hoping he wouldn’t be dragged to the Forbidden Forest.

“I’m just helping Weasley with the assignment Professor Malfoy.” Deceptively angelic. How could Professor fall for something like that? Alex shot daggers at Marcel awaiting the awarding of more points to the Slytherins. As if I need that fool’s help!

Unexpectedly for both Alex and Marcel the Professor said something quite different, “I’m quite sure Weasley can manage on his own. Now carry on. Any more talk and points will be taken from the both of you.”

Alex turned away smiling as he finished reading his assignment. His happiness did not last long. Laughter clearly directed at him reached his ears.

“Ignore them!” fellow Gryffindor Casey Wood whispered.

Easy for her to say. None of the taunts were directed at any other Gryffindor. Enough was enough. Ignoring them got him nowhere.

“What’s so funny?!” Turning around in his desk , he narrowed his eyes at Marcel. The black haired Slytherin sat leaning back in his chair smirking while Marigold Crabbe and the rest of the Slytherin’s were doubled over in laughter .

“It’s common knowledge Weasley…..” Marcel started in a very matter of fact voice. “That your deatheater daddy raped that slut of a mother and left her for dead.”

Alex jumped up from his desk knocking it to the ground, his wand held squarely in front of Marcel’s face. Before he could utter a hex Alex could feel something hot and burning on his back. More laughter surrounded him. They had done something to his robe.

“What’s the meaning of this?!” he heard the Professor yell from the front of the class.

Alex tore his burning robe from his body throwing it to the ground. The tears that he had kept inside for so long came, burning his cheeks and blinding him. Heaving sobs made his chest hurt. Horrible words he had only heard in whispers had been burnt into the back of his robe.

THE BASTARD WEASLEY

“Look at the Brave Gryffindor, crying like a itty-bitty baby!” Marcel’s laughter soon died down. Professor Malfoy stalked down the aisle towards Marcel Zabini dragging the screaming student out of his chair by his ear.

“My father will hear of this!” Marcel Zabini yelled, his face turned a shade of beet red in part due to pain but mostly due to embarrassment.

“Brat, that excuse doesn’t work with me!” Draco shoved the wailing Slytherin into a nearby closet pointing to a small cupboard underneath the shelves. “There’s a boggart that needs taken care of.”

Marcel’s eyes grew as wide as saucers,” B-But Professor we just started learning that today!”

“Are you sure you’re a Slytherin? Perhaps you are more suited to Hufflepuff.”

Marcel stood there shaking as the DADA professor crossed his arms wrathfully. Pounding his hand on the wall, Draco yelled causing Marcel to jump, “OPEN IT NOW!”

Slowly the Slytherin bent to the cupboard, screaming when a werewolf appeared.

“Pathetic.” Draco remarked as he shut the closet door behind him. Ignoring the screams he turned to the rest of the students who had become deathly quiet, “Anyone else?”

The class including Alex looked on in shock as Professor Malfoy righted his desk and motioned for the Gryffindor to have a seat. Who would have thought that the Head of Slytherin house would hand out such a severe punishment to one of his own. Alex could have sworn that Professor Malfoy looked even angrier as he picked up the ruined article of clothing, examining it in his hands. Pointing his wand at the robe, Professor Malfoy chanted a spell Alex had never heard before. In complete awe Alex watched as the hurtful words started to disappear leaving his robe looking better than new.

“Thank you Professor!” he exclaimed as he was handed the robe. Wait till he told Edmund and Everett. They wouldn’t believe it. Maybe Professor Malfoy wasn’t so bad after all.

***

Present – St. Mungo’s

No longer was he teased by his classmates after that episode. The Slytherins hadn’t dared taunt him about his mother and father. Alex willed himself not to think about it. He had Grandma and Grandpa Weasley and that had been enough.

Was it? Now she was awake. The woman everyone said was his mum. She didn’t even know him, didn’t even know she had him. So many years he had wished for her to waken from her sleep, then finally he could have a normal family like everyone else. His mum was supposed to take him in her arms and tell him that she loved him, but that had not happened. He couldn’t imagine what might be, now that he would be faced with the truth. What if every despicable thing he had heard about his father was true?

What if mum hates me and doesn’t want me?

“Pizza sounds very good Grandpa.”

Right now he wanted more than anything to spend time with his two most favorite people in the world. Maybe he’d even buy his mum a gift in Diagon Alley. That would prove to his mum that no matter who his father was, he was a good boy.

I am a good boy, mum.

I am.
Dashed Dreams by Burgosdamasco
Chapter 3

“You were six weeks pregnant when we found you Ginny. Alex Weasley is your son.”

A heaviness centered in Ginny’s chest. Her thoughts jagged and painful. It can’t be true! It can’t be true!

At seventeen the whole world was laid out before her for the taking . Plans and goals were within reach. Though war loomed on the horizon, Ginny secretly yearned to visit the pyramids, the ancient Mayan Temples and the Great Wall of China. Maybe once the war was over she’d even fly by muggle transport. A secret ambition was to one day play for the Chudley Cannons. Everything was mapped out perfectly. With Harry Potter on their side, Voldemort would soon be defeated and life would go on.

Only it had all gone on without her, within her.

“How?” her voice shook asking the question but not wanting the answer. There hadn’t been anyone. A virgin was what she had been. Saving herself for that day when she would find her true love. A seventeen year old girl’s silly ideal.

“W-why can’t I remember?” Ginny stammered, furious for all that had been taken away from her, angry for all the goals that would never reach fruition.

Ron nodded to Harry as if giving him permission to proceed “The mediwizard said it’s normal after going through traumatic events to have memory loss.”

Images of Death Eaters giving chase were the only things her mind wouldn’t let her forget. The memories of the night still haunted her. What could possibly have been more frightening than those ghastly nightmares? What was her mind trying to save her from?

Hermione whispered something inaudible to Ginny’s ears. Uneasiness filled her watching the rest of her family leave the room save for Harry, Hermione and Ron. Nothing good could come of what was about to be said.

The trio looked at each other not really knowing where to begin. Hermione cleared her throat as she pulled up a chair next to Ginny’s bed. “We have...” Hermione paused looking at Ron and her husband Harry for support, “...theories Ginny.”

“Just tell me the truth Hermione! How in Hades did I end up a mother to an 11 year old boy, when I have never slept with a man? Tell me!”

Hermione looked a bit taken aback at Ginny’s tone of voice but continued twisting her hands in nervousness. “There were other prisoners they took Gin. Hundreds of wizards and muggles. One theory we have is that you were lonely and possibly had a relationship with another prisoner. But don’t worry Ginny, we would never judge you. Never.”

Ginny shook her head, rubbing her forehead furiously. They actually looked hopeful and it made her sick. Was this the only scenario they were able to make up and live with? No matter how lonely Ginny was, she knew in her heart that she would never throw herself at any man.

“Do you really think I would do something like that?! “ she spat bristling with indignation.

“It was a difficult time -" Harry struggled to find the right words but was cut off by Ginny

“What’s the other theory Dammit?!” She threw the covers to the hospital floor. It took every ounce of strength to push herself off the bed. She struggled with her emaciated legs willing herself to stand face to face with her brother. A brother that was never able to keep secrets from her.

Ron’s eyes watered as his gaze met Ginny’s. “I’m sorry I didn’t come for you in time Ginny. I’m so sorry I failed you.”

“Please Ron, tell me.” Ginny asked softly needing to know the truth, no matter how hard.

Ron’s voice cracked as he covered his face with his hand, “Dean and Padma told me what happened. They were imprisoned with you during the last six weeks of the war. I didn’t want to believe what was said. But they saw with their own eyes. If I had been there Ginny I could have protected you.”

Now it was Ginny who was urging her brother to sit down as Harry and Hermione looked on. “Ron, I have to know.” She pleaded with him.

“A God damn Death Eater would come and take you away every night Ginny. He raped you! That sodding bastard raped you!” he said pounding a fist into a nearby table.

Wasn’t this what she suspected all along? But to have it said, to face the ugliness of it head on, was something she was not ready to do. Ginny wrapped her arms around herself as the terrifying realization washed over her.
Her innocence had been taken by a faceless monster. A demon dressed in black who used her body and impregnated her with a child she did not want. Waves of nausea hit Ginny as her knees buckled beneath her. Ginny fell to the floor sobbing. Screaming at Ron, Harry and Hermione who tried to help her to her feet. “Just leave me alone! Leave me alone!”

Trembling on the cold hospital floor she wept. Twelve years worth of tears were being shed for her dead brothers, goals she would never accomplish, for what could have been, and for the love she didn’t know she could give to a little boy.

***

He had left his 7th year DADA assistant in charge. A part of him felt a tad bit uneasy leaving his students in the care of a rather inept teacher. But certain things were more important. Headmistress Potter could fire him for all he cared. Not that she dared. Was he not the best DADA Professor in the Wizarding world? It would take her years to find someone as qualified and experienced as Draco Malfoy.

Too long he had waited and nothing would stop him He was going to see Ginny, or all the Weasley’s be damned! Except for his son of course, who was only half Weasley. In his opinion Alex was the best of the entire bunch.

Walking along Diagon Alley and peering through the many shop windows, Draco wondered what one bought for a person they hadn’t seen in twelve years. Awake that is. Many times he would apparate right into her room at St. Mungo’s. It wasn’t allowed but laws had never prevented him from doing anything before. Why should it prevent him from seeing Ginny? Was he not a master of the dark arts? Surely one could use the knowledge for the greater good.

Draco would visit the sleeping redhead, trapped in a world of dreams and nightmares. Bathed in moonlight she was absolutely breathtaking. He could stay here forever watching the familiar rise and fall of her chest and listen to her soft breathing.

“No!” she screamed “Help me!” Ginny twisted and turned violently battling the demons inside her head. Her hands reaching out for help.

“Ssh” Draco had whispered, taking her hand in his, “Ssh Ginny, I’m here. I won’t let anyone hurt you.” he said hoping that somehow his attempts to comfort her were not in vain. He slid beside her in the hospital bed, holding Ginny with her back to his chest, playing with her fiery hair as he, planted soft kisses along her neck, hoping, always hoping that like the fairytale she would open her eyes.

He twined his hand with hers, pretending that she indeed was awake. The talks they had. were almost always about Alex.

“Imagine that Ginny. Our son’s only eleven but he knows how to conjure a Patronus. He’s much smarter than that mudblood Granger we went to Hogwarts with and puts all the Ravenclaws to shame. Well, Granger married scarhead but you probably heard. Even she agrees. Headmistress wanted to move him up 2 grades! Your parents wouldn’t allow it, spouting some nonsense about wanting Alex to stay with his friends. Almost forgot to tell you, bought him a broom Ginny. I hope you don’t mind. You should have seen Alex when I had it owled to him. I’ve never seen so many jealous faces in my life. It was quite wonderful. Harry Potter better watch out, all his quidditch records are about to be broken!

Ginny had turned over just then, subconsciously burrowing her head into Draco’s chest while her leg tangled with his. Placing a kiss atop her forehead he pulled her closer to him. “Awaken my sleeping beauty.” For twelve years he whispered his only wish, “Awaken”


***

Diamonds? Candies? He had twelve years worth of presents to buy and not a clue as to where to start. Making his way down the crowded streets, he was distracted momentarily by the display window of Flourish & Botts. Alex had mentioned his grandparents had refused to buy him THE MONSTER BOOK OF MONSTERS. Not a book he himself would recommend for an 11 year old but if that’s what Alex wanted, by Merlin, that’s exactly what his son was going to get.

Exiting the store with package in hand he proceeded to Fairy Flowers buying a simple arrangement of red and white roses. Handing over his galleons, he gave the shopkeeper strict instructions to have the flowers owled immediately. So busy was Draco with the transaction that he didn’t hear the flying store fairy announce another customer had entered.

“Professor Malfoy?”

Draco spun around, his stern countenance immediately replaced with a smile at the young boy currently licking a blood flavored lollipop in front of him.

“Those are pretty flowers Professor .Are they for your girlfriend?” he asked inquisitively as the flowers Draco had bought were being wrapped in paper and tied with the most expensive bow Draco was able to find.

“You could say that.” Draco didn’t say much more. After tonight he could finally tell Ginny how much he loved her. Something he regretted not having told her. But he had been young and foolish at the time. No longer. Tonight he would make things right. Everything would fall into place as it should have long ago.

Kneeling down to his son’s eye level he reached into his bag handing Alex the book he had just purchased.

“WOW! Thanks Professor!” Draco couldn’t help chuckling at the boy’s enthusiastic response. Very soon, everyone would know Alex was his son. No one would dare call Alex Malfoy a bastard again.

“There you are!” Molly exclaimed as she rushed into the store towards Alex unaware of the tall man directly behind her grandson. “How many times have I told you not to wander off! Grandpa is worried sick!”

“I wanted to buy Mum flowers.” he said reaching into his cloak for the money he had made working at his Uncle’s joke shop during the summer.

Patting his head, her expression softened. “Your Mummy would like that very much.”

Draco watched both with a tinge of regret thinking about his own mother. She would have loved Alex.

Alex picked a collection of tulips mimicking his professor’s color choice, “Red and white please.” He said politely removing his lollipop as he talked.

That very instant, Molly caught sight of the book she had expressly forbid Alex to buy. “What is this young man?” she asked grabbing the book and dropping it immediately when it tried to bite her.

“Be careful Grandma.” Alex answered, carefully picking up the book by its binding and dropping it into his school bag, “Professor Malfoy gave it to me.”

Draco had hoped to slip out of the store unnoticed by the matriarch of the Weasley family. He was in no mood to get into an argument with the fiery woman.

Molly Weasley clicked her tongue and Draco could tell it did not bode well for him. “What’s the meaning of this Mr. Malfoy?” a suggestion of annoyance hovered in her eyes.

Draco smoothed back his blonde hair trying to come up with a suitable answer. He had already used the good grades excuse for the broom. Draco couldn’t very well tell her that Alex was his son and he could buy the boy whatever he damn well pleased, at least not yet.

“I hope you don’t mind Mrs. Weasley. It’s a celebratory gift of sorts. I hear your daughter Ginny has recovered.”

“I- uh, yes, yes she is back with us. Still it will be a long road to recovery. We Wesley’s will be there with her every step of the way.” Molly said looking from Draco to Alex then back to Draco.

Draco paled at hearing this new information about Ginny, What was wrong? “She’s alright isn’t she?” try as he might, Draco couldn’t rid himself of the icy fear that coursed through him. Was there something wrong with her health. Had she survived twelve years in a coma only to emerge on death’s doorstep?

“Maybe it’s for the best.” Molly said stealing an affectionate look at Alex who was currently looking out the window entranced by jugglers and fire eaters.

What’s for the best? Draco tried not to seem too eager to hear the news about Ginny, concentrating on looking as nonchalant as possible.

Keeping her gaze firmly affixed on her grandson she continued, “Beauty can emerge from the most unlikely places”

Molly sighed deeply as she repeated, “Maybe it’s for the best.”


Draco was about to shake the woman, no matter that she was his child’s grandmother. Would she ever answer his question?

“She doesn’t remember the war Mr. Malfoy.”

Draco could feel his face fall as he looked away pretending to look at another floral arrangement. “I’m sorry to hear that. Truly sorry” He kept his grey eyes fixed on the violets in front of him, trying to steady his now shaking hands . Draco willed himself not to look at Alex for fear he might finally break.

Molly’s voice kept echoing in his ear, “She doesn’t remember the war Mr. Malfoy.”

Which means she doesn’t remember me.
To Forgive Is to Forget by Burgosdamasco
Chapter 4

Sympathetic glances shared by Harry, Hermione, and Ron reminded her that once again she had been a victim. Damn them all for not protecting me the first time and Damn them all for not preventing it from happening again. Ginny hugged her knees to her chest staring out St. Mungo’s window, wrapping herself in a cocoon of anguish. How could it be such a sunny day when all she felt was such darkness inside?

“Come back to bed Ginny, you need to rest.”

She spun her head to look directly at Ron, eyes blazing with years of unspent rage, “I’ve rested enough for a lifetime!” Ginny looked away not wanting them to see the tears leaking from the corners of her eyes. Ginny didn’t mean to be so cold and cruel towards those she loved the most.

“I-I’m sorry.” She managed to say resting her head against her knee. Sorry for not being strong enough. Sorry that I couldn’t run fast enough. Sorry that I couldn’t fight long enough.

A warm comforting arm wrapped around her. “Don’t be sorry Gin.” Ron whispered “Please Ginny, you still need to rest. Mum,Dad and Alex will be back soon.”

Alex. At the thought of the boy, Ginny instinctively touched the scar that bore proof to the fact that at one time a life had grown inside. How odd to think she was now a mother. A mother to a boy she didn’t know. A mother to a boy she was afraid she didn't want. Wasn’t love for one’s own supposed to be automatic? Ginny willed herself to feel it. They all expected her to love him unconditionally without question. She could see it in her family’s eyes. Return to the family as if nothing had happened. But something had happened.

None of them were there when Charlie and Percy had died, when she had been promised to the Death Eaters for their efforts. Her memories were at best hazy. Before the Death Eaters gave chase, those memories were the clearest of all. Forever would the picture of Charlie and Percy’s bodies be ingrained. How could she love this child knowing his father may have taken part in killing her own brothers? She just couldn’t.

“I don’t know if I can Ron.” Ginny had seen too much, witnessed too many painful scenes.

Ron looked confused, “What can’t you do? The Ginny I knew could do anything.”

Wiping a tear away, Ginny lifted her head, “I don’t know if I can feel anything f-for him.”

Ginny leaned back into Ron, crying for loved ones she had left behind. Lives laid down for her, for the safety of the wizarding world. Charlie and Percy had been dead for more than a decade. It felt like only yesterday, because for Ginny it was. She could still picture the bloody scene amongst the Death Eaters as they held her, forcing her to view the lifeless bodies of her brothers. She had screamed for them to stop. Pleaded for mercy but it was to no avail.

***

Flashback- 12 years in the past

Dragging Ginny roughly by her hair, the Death Eater shoved the redhead forcefully into the dimly lit circle. Hitting the ground with a sickening thud, Ginny’s head slammed into the concrete floor. Ginny’s mind floated, felt disconnected from the fuzzy images that surrounded her. Men dressed in robes of death lifted up their voices to their one and only God, Voldemort. She struggled to escape the low chanting of spells that promised death, but her body was clumsy, her limbs not wanting to obey. Forcing herself to sit up, she slipped again to the ground, a sticky dark substance holding her there against her will. It clung to her robes,to her face, and to her hands. Reaching blindly forward Ginny felt the arm of another.

“Look littlest Weasley. Do you think we would have you suffer all by yourself?” Her head felt too heavy. She couldn’t bear to raise it to make out the other person next to her. That’s when she felt rough hands grab her hair, forcing her head upwards, “ Look Weasley, see what happens when you don’t cooperate.”

Ginny recoiled in horror as she viewed Percy’s mangled and torn body, his limbs lying at awkward angles. Instinctively she tried to back away only to be met with a harsh kick forward. Trying to catch her breath, Ginny tumbled onto the blood soaked body of Charlie. Lashes scarred his once strong body. Hideous laughter joined her screams. They had not bothered with magical bonds, instead driving nails through Charlie’s hands securing him to the floor. She cradled her brother’s head. “No Charlie, No!” Images of what her brother’s must have gone through filled her with anguish, the likes of which she had never known.

War had started. Everyone was at risk. But the talks of dying valiantly for the cause had clouded the reality of it all. Sacrifices would have to be made. Innocent blood would be shed. Not once did Ginny think it would be her brothers. Never did she think it could be her own.

“That’s enough grieving Weasley.” Ginny felt an arm snake around her neck as it dragged her harshly upwards. The Death Eater threw her against the wall like a rag doll slamming her head against the cold stone wall. “Now tell us where Potter is or meet the same sticky end as your brothers.”

“No you murderous Bastard! No!” The blood from her brothers called out to her.
Don’t have our deaths be in vain! Calling upon all her Gryffindor courage she spat on the Death Eater. “Never will I cooperate. Never!”

Her tormentor pulled off his mask, no longer hiding behind the evil visage. Proud to be aligned with his master, his long blond hair that was once smooth and slicked back was now ruly and unkempt. Lucius Malfoy. The man had always intimidated Ginny and knew how to use it to his advantage. She tried to hide her shakiness as he pressed himself into her. Ginny attempted to claw him as he crushed her against the wall. His eyes burned fire as he smoothed his fingers over her face in an imitation of tenderness, “I think -” He hissed in Ginny’s ear causing sensations of nausea to overwhelm her, “I shall rip out your tongue!

“You make me sick!” In vain she tried to push him away, but he was much too strong. She thrashed wildly as he buried his face into her neck, biting and drawing blood. “Help me someone, please!” She closed her eyes feeling the blood seep from her body. “Help me!” She wanted to kill them all. Every last one of them. Her eyes searched wildly for Snape. Wasn’t he amongst them. A spy in their lair. How could he have stood by and watched her brothers murdered? To save the Order would she now be sacrificied?

She was too young to die. Ginny callled out to Harry, Hermione, Ron. Though far away she willed for them to hear her. Ginny prayed to the Gods in the heavens that if death was in her stars it would be swift. Not this. Panic was rioting within her. Lucius meant to humiliate her before he killed her. Warning spasms of alarm erupted within her at the evidence of Lucius’ arousal against her thigh. “Please don’t do this!” Ginny cried only to be met by the furious chanting of the Death Eaters matching Lucius Malfoy’s frenzied attacks. “Help me!”

“Tell me where Potter is and you will be set free.”

Percy’s and Charlie’s lifeless bodies only gave her more resolve. “NEVER!”

Lucius stepped away, blood running down his chin making him seem even more deranged. Ginny flinched as his hand gripped her chin tossing her head to the side, admiring his handiwork. “Then you will die.” Snapping his long fingers he motioned for two Death Eaters who grasped Ginny by each arm, dragging her once again to the center of the circle.

“I think we shall have a bit of fun before we rid of you.” With a knife glistening in hand Lucius stood in front of her smiling wickedly. “You’ve grown so much little Weasley.” He hissed as he traced the blade along Ginny’s skin.

Ginny shuddered at the contact of the cool blade against her. Was this how she was going to die? Ginny bent her head allowing the hot tears to fall. It had seemed so heroic to die for the cause, now she stood cowering before Lucius Malfoy begging him to spare her life.

“I promise you that we shall all enjoy taking pleasure from a mudblood loving slut such as yourself.” Ginny didn’t expect the slash of her robe as Lucius ripped her cloak from her body leaving her vulnerable in her nakedness. In the darkness Ginny’s face burned in embarrassment. She could feel the roving eyes of the Death Eaters hungrily tearing her apart, leering at her behind their masks. Ginny wept aloud no longer hiding her shame.

“Bow you whore!” Lucius yelled. Ginny felt the two Death Eaters twist her arms causing her to fall to her knees.

Dressed in robes of red entered Lord Voldemort, cold eyes meeting Ginny’s. He said nothing, for he was already inside her head.

“We meet again Virginia.”

Though not one hand was laid upon her she could feel his touch. Burning coals raked her skin. Ginny screamed as the sensations became more intense and painful. Shrieking in terror, Ginny watched horrified as the skin on her hands blistered and melted leaving nothing but bone. Ginny clutched at her chest struggling to breathe, she was being smothered, drowned. Darkness swirled around Ginny threatening to bury her.

“Where is Harry Potter? Just say the word and I will make it stop. Just say the word.”

Another voice reached through, pulling her out of his grip. “Fight it Ginny!” came the weak voice. “Fight it! He’s in your head Ginny.”

Gathering all her strength, Ginny opened her eyes, staring at her hands. It had all been in her mind. No scarring marred her skin. The blisters that had been so real just moments before were no more.

“You can fight them Ginny!” came the weak raspy voice. “Fight them!” Charlie looked up at her, his eyes fluttered open once more giving his sister the will to battle against the evil that permeated around her. She tried wrenching herself free from the deatheaters that still held her firmly in their grasp. Charlie was still alive!

“Save yourself!” but this time the voice did not come from Charlie. The Death Eater that had held her before Lord Voldemort pressed something into her hand. A wand. “Don’t be a fool, run!” the Death Eater commanded.

Flashes of light erupted around Ginny, providing cover. “Don’t be a fool! Run!” the Death Eater had said. But she couldn’t leave Charlie. Not when Charlie was suffering and needed her. Confusion surrounded her as she crept along the stone floor, following the trail of blood that led to Charlie. She pointed her wand at the tortuous bond that held him to the floor. Why did his hand feel so very cold?

“Charlie?”

But he didn’t answer. ”You must be too weak. That’s ok. I’ll take you to St. Mungo’s. The things they are able to do,you’ll be back in Romania in no time.” She smoothed his hair back, flicking the wand, starting to lose hope when nothing happened. “C’mon Charlie. I can’t apparate by myself. I’m too weak. Please Charlie, try.”

Still he didn’t respond, only growing colder. She buried her head into his shoulder and fought back tears. He didn’t stoke her hair as he did when they were younger telling her everything would be ok. Charlie lay their unmoving. Grief for him, for Percy and for everyone that would eventually suffer the same fate rose in her throat, choking her. The world spun. Ginny spun, as hands gripped her. Spinning Ginny around to her feet a deatheater covered her with a black robe. Ginny found herself face to face with the Potions Master.

“You stupid, stupid, girl! Run while you have the chance!” Professor Snape grabbed Ginny’s hand pushing her towards a door that led to a winding staircase. “To the left is a door. Strike it three times with your wand.” The Death Eaters were slowly advancing towards the both of them and with one final shove he pushed Ginny to safety, shouting spell after spell to protect the red head behind him. Ginny took one look back watching as Snape turned the wand onto himself.
“Obliviate!"

Present – St Mungo’s

“You weren’t there Ron! Percy and Charlie weren’t just killed, they were tortured!." Ginny could still feel Charlie’s cold hand, still see the blood that stained the floor. Percy’s bruised and battered body torn apart by Death Eaters was burned into her mind. Snape had sacrificed himself for her. There could be no forgiveness, at least not yet. Twelve years they had to deal with death. The wounds were too fresh in Ginny’s mind. “I don’t want that boy near me!”

Harry’s protest fell on deaf ears. “You don’t mean that Ginny. I know what it feels like to be unwanted. Alex doesn’t deserve this.”

“My brother’s didn’t deserve to die!” Ginny responded angrily, drawing herself up from the floor to face the boy who lived. Ginny didn’t know if she could forget all the deaths, or the years that were stolen from her.

Time is what she needed to sort out all the confusing feelings. A part of Ginny was in awe that at one time her body had given life to another being. A baby had formed inside her, complete with fingers, toes and a heart. So natural. Almost magical. Yet, had she not been robbed of bonding with the baby from the person who was most likely this child’s father?

Ginny wasn’t ready to be like her mother. Molly Weasley was filled with nothing but love for her children and for ones she hadn’t borne. From the few minutes she had seen Alex with her mum, Ginny could feel the love her mother had for the boy. But Ginny wasn’t Molly Weasley. She didn’t know if she could be. She didn’t know if she wanted to be.

“I can’t be a mother to that boy,not now.”

With a small shock Ginny realized her hospital door was wide open. With red and white tulips scattered on the floor a teary eyed boy looked at her, his chin trembling. How long had he been standing there? How much had he heard?

Harry reached out to him first, but Alex just backed away keeping his brown eyes on Ginny.

“You have my eyes.” Ginny whispered more to herself than to anyone else. The realization that she had indeed created this little boy was startling. “Alex?” slowly she walked towards him urged on by a mothering instinct she didn’t know she possessed. Alex only continued backing away into the arms of his grandparents that were already bending down on their knees, whispering soothing words into his ear.

“Delivery.” A mediwitch entered the room carrying a large bouquet of red and white roses, squeezing past the visitors that were momentarily blocking the doorway. “Did I come at a bad time?” the mediwitch asked catching sight of the crying boy.

Tearing his eyes from Ginny, Alex’s attention now turned to the flowers that were being set aside next to the various other bouquets that were crowding the already small room. Flowers were sent worldwide, from her friends Dean Thomas and Michael Corner and from people unknown who wished her the best. Guilt filled Ginny as she bent down to pick up one of the tulips. His gift to her was lying on the hospital floor while others were beautifully displayed.

“I like your flowers.” She said softly to Alex, feeling hopeful when he stepped inside the room. But instead of heading towards her as Ginny had expected, Alex stopped to inspect the many flowers that were threatening to overwhelm the room. “I’ll put your tulips in a pretty vase.” Picking up more of the fallen flowers, Ginny tried to keep her tears at bay. Harry was right, he did not deserve to be hurt.

With all the tulips in hand, Ginny joined Alex as the sun streamed into the room making the flowers bloom even more so. Transfiguring a nearby get well card into a vase she placed the tulips prominently in front of all the others. Tentatively she placed her arm around his shoulders hoping his own tears would stop, but her attempt at consoling Alex only made him cry harder.

“You hate me,” he sniffed, wiping his now runny nose on his Gryffindor robe and flinging her hand away from him. Running his wand along the leaves and petals of the many flowers, he whispered so softly Ginny was almost sure he hadn’t, “You hate me and I hate him. INFLAMMARE!”

Flames alighted onto the flowers. With chaos surrounding her, Ginny felt herself being thrown back onto her hospital bed. Harry and Hermione extinguished the last of the fire leaving nothing but the charred remains of her many gifts. Ginny cared nothing for the presents, what she cared for was a blonde boy who was no longer in the room. She searched wildly for Alex. Was he hurt? “Where’s Alex?” When no answer came she asked again, this time more frantic,”Where’s Alex?”

“Mum and Dad took him back to Hogwarts. He’s not ready Ginny. It was a mistake on our part to think he was.” Ron said with his head in his hands.

How long had she harbored sympathy for Harry and his plight? Of all people, he knew above everyone else what it was like not to have family. Was this how Alex felt? “No, I’m the one who’s not ready.” Ginny muttered silently. She had looked into his eyes. Oh, they were all so very wrong. Alex had been more than ready to receive the love that she was unable to give.
Love Lost by Burgosdamasco
Chapter 5

Alex wiped the last of his tears away wishing he knew a girly spell that would get rid of the redness under his eyes. Staring at the portrait of the fat lady, he wondered whether he shouldn’t just turn around and hide. Without a doubt Edmund and Everett would be in the common room ready to pounce on him. Deep in decision making, Alex didn’t hear small footsteps ascending the stairs behind him.

“Alex?”

Great, just great. Casey Wood with her blabbering mouth would tell everyone what a crybaby he was, proving Zabini right in every way. He would be the laughingstock of the Gryffindor common room.

“Are you ok?”

Alex snapped back taking Casey Wood by surprise, “Does it look like I’m ok!?” he said trying to sound mean but came out anything but, between his sniffles and his runny nose.

Alex had never been known to raise his voice at anyone or yell. Grandma Molly had always said he was a sensitive boy, attune to the needs of others. “Just like your mummy”. The mummy who hated him and wished he didn’t exist. Right this very instant in front of Casey Wood, Alex wished he was never born. The words he meant for his father were directed at the black haired girl in front of him. It was his father’s fault his mum suffered. His fault his mum couldn’t stand the sight of him.

“I hate you! Get away from me!” He immediately regretted his slip of the tongue as her face fell. Alex didn’t like seeing people hurt, not his family, nor his friends.

Expecting Casey to run past him into the common room she just stood there, whispering, “You don’t mean that.”

Alex was never good at lying, not like his cousins. “No. You’re my friend.” he answered back softly. “But,c-could you leave me alone for a bit. I need to be alone.” He needed time to think, away from Casey, his cousins and everyone else. There was something he needed to do and he wouldn’t rest until he did it.

Casey smiled shyly at him. “If you want to talk Alex, my ears are available to listen.”

Alex nodded knowing that he would never tell Casey what he felt, though it was quite apparent on his face. The new knowledge he possessed about his father would have to be kept inside. He would deal with that on his own. Casey Wood with her two loving parents would never understand. Her father was none other than famous Oliver Wood captain of the Chudley Canons and her mum was Cho Chang-Wood seeker for the Falmouth Falcons. Would he really want her to know that the rumors about his Death Eater father were true? She would probably never want to be his friend again.

“I want to give you something that will make you feel loads better!” Now Casey was looking at him as if he had something weird on his face.

He hoped his nose wasn’t still running. “What?” he asked, becoming very unnerved by her attention and feeling quite sure there was nothing that would make this day any better. Did his face turn blue? Was his hair sticking up. Under the trying circumstances of today he thought it would be pretty normal. “What!?” he repeated.

Instead of answering, a pair of lips brushed his own, causing him to fall against the wall. Goodness, what was she trying to do? Yuck! She was trying to stick her tongue inside. Gross, just gross. “What are you doing? Stop!” he managed to say, flailing his arms wildly.

Casey just stood up crossing her arms, “I saw my older sister do that. Her boyfriend seemed to like it, a lot in fact.”

“Well, I’m not your boyfriend!” Alex brushed the dust from his robes and wiped the glittery lipstick he was sure was all over his face. Since when did Casey start wearing lipstick? Where was his old friend and who was this stranger?

Flinging her long black hair back, she only smiled at him , “No you’re not my boyfriend,but you will be.”

Before Alex could protest Casey planted another kiss on his cheek before running past him into the common room. Alex could only sware under his breath, words he was sure his Grandma Molly would wash his mouth out with soap for.

“What’s gotten into her?” Alex said to himself, blushing red when he heard his cousins climbing the stairs. All this time he had thought they were in the common room. Had they seen everything? Sweet Merlin, Alex hoped not.

But indeed they had.

“Alex has a girlfriend!! Alex has a girlfriend!!”

The rest of the night Alex fought off his cousins constant teasing about Casey Wood. Soon all of Gryffindor was harassing him. Alex did feel a tad ticked off at the commotion Casey had caused, but a small part of him was thankful. For a moment he didn’t have to think about the mother who didn’t want him and the cruel man who made him.

***

Sleep had not come to Draco. He had flown past St.Mungo’s during the night wondering if he should just stop by and wish her well. What could he say? The fact that she couldn’t remember what was so pivotal to him, to her and to their little boy changed everything.

Draco wasn’t supposed to fall in love with her, but he had. The enemy, a prisoner and he had fallen so deep he didn’t know if he would ever find his way out, didn’t know if he wanted to. In just those six weeks he had loved more and been loved more in return than in years leading up to that point Of course that was how he felt until he saw Alex that first time in Diagon Alley. After Ginny was gone he felt his heart grow colder. Locked up in the depths of Azkaban prison with the knowledge that he hadn’t done enough to protect Ginny, he refused himself to feel anything. All Alex had to do was grasp his fingers with his tiny hands and Draco’s heart started to beat again.

Twelve years hadn’t changed how much he loved the redhead that was now crying alone in her room. He hovered outside her window, thankful for the invisibility cloak that allowed him to be near her. What he wanted to do was toss the cloak and take her in his arms and tell her how much he loved her. With much hope he had bought a diamond ring even after the news Molly delivered that threatened to shatter him. He was a Malfoy, she would remember and she would say yes. How could she not? Looking at her sad face, doubt built within Draco. It wouldn’t be the first time things hadn’t gone his way. Had it ever really?

Draco Malfoy always gets what he wants. That was his mantra he would repeat over and over until he believed it, even if it was lie. War had changed everything, causing the former deatheater to sort out the truths and untruths.

Never did he get the snitch. Right before him but always out of his grasp. Just like his son and just like the redheaded beauty he was viewing before him.

Ginny immediately locked eyes with his as she struggled to bring herself to her feet. Draco’s breath caught. Did she know he was out there? With much effort she walked towards the open window shutting it with a forceful thud.

Once again he was on the outside looking in.

“Professor?” a student's voice brought him back to the present.

Draco looked up to see a hand waving wildly in the air, “Yes Miss Crabbe?” Draco rolled his eyes at the student who loved nothing more than to get others in trouble. Marigold Crabbe may have thought this endeared her to the Professor, but it had quite the opposite effect. He wondered what student she would tattle on next.

“Alex Weasley is late Professor.”

At that moment the young blonde boy sauntered into the classroom with broom in hand, not bothering to apologize for his lateness. He slid into his seat turning surprisingly cold eyes towards his Professor.

Everyone seemed to be on the edge of their seat. Would Professor Malfoy take points away from his favorite student? A couple of sighs and mutterings of “Teacher’s pet” met Draco’s response.

“We’ll talk about this after class Mr. Weasley.” He wasn’t about to punish his son. This was not like Alex. He was never late. Usually Alex was the earliest to arrive, helping him prepare the days lessons. Apparently the visit with Ginny hadn’t gone well. Draco couldn’t imagine what it was like for mother and son to meet after such a long time apart. What he did hope to do was give Alex a few comforting words, and at the same time learn more about Ginny’s condition.

He didn’t expect Alex to talk back, “I don’t think so Professor.”

The Gryffindors were in shock at Alex Weasley’s behavior, snapping at him to be quiet or they would lose precious house points. The Slytherins’s on the other hand were speechless. Surely points would be taken away, teacher’s pet or not.

“Excuse me?” Draco shook his head not knowing if he had heard correctly. This boy who looked up to him, who would come to him with problems was not the same boy who sat in his class now.

“I think you heard me correctly the first time Death Eater Malfoy!”

Draco had heard the students whisper Death Eater behind his back, even heard the staff say it when they didn’t think he was listening. The name reminded him of all the mistakes he had made in the past, and the lives that were ruined for an ideal that never really existed. Not once did he think it would come out of the mouth of his own son.

The class was now hushed as Draco rose from his desk with black robes billowing behind him. Draco refused to be upset, not even if Alex reminded him of the very reason he couldn’t be with him or his mother.

“Everyone except for Alex Weasley, please leave the class.” He said stopping at his son’s desk.

When no one moved, he repeated his command so forcefully it was only a matter of seconds before the room was cleared, “LEAVE MY CLASS NOW!” he roared. The scurried feet of the first year’s obeyed, happy that they were not on the end of Professor Malfoy’s wrath.

Alex now looked at him with fear in his eyes. The look Draco must have given Lucius many times before. He didn’t want Alex to be scared of him as he was with his own father. Draco took a seat beside Alex wanting to be eye level with his son.

“What’s the matter Alex?” he asked softly at the boy who was staring intently at a spot on the floor.

“Did you kill people Professor?” Alex said quickly, looking everywhere but at Draco.

The question had taken him aback, there was no proper answer he could give the boy. Not one he wanted him to hear. Being young and at war made one do things that would only lead to regret. Not one day went by that he didn’t think about the bad choices he made. “What’s this about?”

Abruptly Alex stood, knocking his desk to the ground . Flinging his broom at the Professor and shoving his book to the ground he yelled, “I DON”T WANT YOUR BLOODY BROOM AND I DON’T WANT YOUR STUPID BOOK!”

“B-but these are gifts.” Draco sat there frozen holding his son’s broom and book. “I want you to have them.”

“I don’t want anything of yours, ever!” Alex ran to the doorway, stopping and slowly turning around. Narrowing his eyes at the Professor he asked him, “Aren’t you going to take points away?”

Draco wasn’t thinking of anything else except for the anger he felt coming from Alex directed solely at him. He could stand to have hateful looks thrust upon him from others, but not his own son. He might not have Ginny’ s love but he could pretend to have Alex’s.

Draco said nothing, only clutching the broom tighter wondering how something so good could end so badly. Ginny was awake. Everything he had hoped for was going to come true. They were going to be a family.

“No, I’m not. J-just tell me what has gotten into you young man!” Draco stammered.

Alex’s next statement only confused him more, “Then it’s true.”

“What’s true?”

Draco always knew the power that words held over others. He had wielded his skill above others when he was a student at Hogwarts. Draco knew the exact words that would hurt the spirit. How often did he make Granger cry or been on the receiving end of Potter and Weasley’s wands? Too many times to count. This time he understood how wounded they must have felt.

“I hate you! I hate you!”

Three simple words that cut into Draco Malfoy’s soul.

***

Ginny stared at the room in awe. She ran her hands over the pink walls, posters of her favorite group- the Weird Sisters, the lace curtains, the afghan her mum had knitted. Everything had stayed the same as if suspended in time. Ginny’s mum hadn’t changed the room since the war, keeping it in the same condition as it had been 12 long years ago. Ginny took out her suitcase and started unpacking. This was a teenager's room not a grown woman’s. She lay back on the bed with a bit of sadness thinking about all she had missed.

“Alex would come in here often.” Molly’s voice interrupted her thoughts. Ginny was glad for the intrusion. The past 3 weeks she had done nothing but feel sorry for herself which was getting her nowhere. Hermione’s offer of a job as flying instructor at Hogwarts piqued her interest. She knew Hermione had her own reasons for wanting Ginny to accept the position. It would be the opportunity for Ginny to get to know her son and try to be the mother Alex deserved. As of right now, she was far from ready.

Ginny’s mum handed her a small book that Ginny looked at quizzically. “What’s this?”

Molly said nothing only sitting next to Ginny on the bed as she let the magic of pictures draw Ginny out of her slump. It was high time her daughter stopped moping about.

Ginny’s breath caught in her throat at the first picture of newborn Alex. He was beautiful despite his red face and wrinkles. “He so beautiful,” she whispered.

“He didn’t want to come out at all. The mediwizard had to take him out of you.” Molly said as she turned the page. Molly had placed Alex in a sleeping Ginny’s arms. “I thought you two should bond.”

Ginny’s eyes were bordered with tears of happiness and sadness. She laughed at her struggling brothers trying to give Alex a bath. Hermione trying to change his diaper was a sight to behold. Smart with the books, but diapers were another matter entirely.

Ginny rolled her eyes at the broom Harry had given Alex for his first birthday. He was much too young for such a gift. A few more pictures showed Arthur taking him to a muggle zoo. Nothing but smiles as he rode a camel. Ginny was all laughs when the next picture showed Alex begging his grandpa for a pet, a camel to be specific. There were even some pictures from Hogwarts. “I’m a Gryffindor!” The excited boy said jumping up and down. Talking to the person holding the camera, Alex added, “I told you I wouldn’t be in Hufflepuff Edmund!”

Suddenly Ginny’s hands stopped at the picture of Alex with a familiar looking face next to him. A face she connected with memories of a diary that still haunted her, hurtful taunts, and of a Death Eater the Order was trying to capture. Ginny’s fingers shook, removing the picture from it’s protective cover.

“What is he doing with Alex?!” Ginny didn’t notice the small grin that appeared on Molly Weasley’s face at the note of her daughter’s concern.

“Alex won a DADA competion for the first years. I think that’s...um...Professor Malfoy giving him a medal for his work.”

A sodding Death Eater was teaching Alex. After all they had suffered under Voldemort, how in the world was a Death Eater allowed to teach children? Memories of Percy and Charlie would not die. She knew exactly where Draco Malfoy stood in the war and it had been on the losing side. His people had killed her brothers. Perhaps he himself had taken part. It was an atrocity, an outrage.

“I need to talk to Ron and Harry.” Ginny stated more so to herself than to her mother. She had to find out why a monster such as Draco Malfoy was not currently locked up in Azkaban. If it had been up to Ginny, Draco Malfoy would most certainly be given the Dementor’s Kiss without any hesitation.

Ginny raced out of the room, half expecting her mother to call out for her and ask what was wrong. But she didn’t. Perhaps she already knew how upset she was. The Death Eaters had hurt her family once before. The same mistake would not be repeated. Grabbing a piece of parchment and quill from her father’s study, Ginny knew what she had to do.

Nov 22

Mrs. Hermione Potter
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizadry,

Dear Mrs. Potter,

I am pleased to confirm my acceptance of your job offer for the position of Flying Instructor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizadry.

I am very pleased to have been considered for this position and feel confident that I will make a significant contribution to Hogwarts and to its students.

I would like to thank you sincerely for this opportunity.

Best Regards,

Virginia Weasley
Pain and Suffering by Burgosdamasco
Chapter 6

“Draco Malfoy assisted the order in the capture of his own father.”

How convenient! Ginny fumed at Harry’s remarks. The tide of the war had changed and Draco Malfoy decided to see the light. It seemed all too sudden for the boy they had once deemed the King of Slytherin.

“I don’t buy it!” Ginny slammed her butterbeer against the bar causing patrons of the Leaky Cauldron to wonder why the pretty redhead was so upset at two of the most popular members of the Chudley Canons.

A weary looking Ron answered, wiping the mud caked away on his uniform from an early morning Quidditch practice session. Ginny noticed for the first time, the tiredness in her brother’s eyes that seemed to stem from more than Quidditch. “If it wasn’t for Malfoy you’d be dead Ginny. My daughter would never have been born because Padma would have met the same fate. Draco fed us information about the prison camp where Padma and the others were held. He’s the one that told us where the Death Eaters had taken you.”

“Why are you defending him Ron?” Ginny shook her head, beginning to regret meeting Harry and Ron. Rushing to Malfoy’s defense were two of the most unlikely people to do so. All she wanted were answers, not a plea of letting bygones be bygones. Ginny had been thankful they had agreed to meet her so early in the morning, before she left for Hogwarts. Now she felt anything but gratitude.

A very matter of fact Harry answered simply, “He’s paid his dues Ginny.”

“For Merlin’s sake Harry! He’s a deatheater. You can’t let someone like Draco Malfoy roam the streets free when so many people have suffered from the likes of him!” Ginny didn’t care that it was only six in the morning. She waved her hand in the air requesting another drink. Unbelievable how things had changed in the men she thought she knew so very well.

Harry gently corrected Ginny trying not to raise the redhead’s ire any further. “Draco Malfoy is a former deatheater. He’s done nothing but good since his release from Azkaban. Malfoy has even contributed his expertise in catching escaped Deatheaters.We all live in a safer world because of his help.”

“Is there a reason for this sudden 180? The last I remember he was threatening to kill us all.” Somewhere deep in the recesses of her memory Draco Malfoy had visited her dreams.

In a windowless room she was bound. She was entangled in the arms of a deatheater wondering what his plans for her were. His grip was tight around her, not allowing room for struggle. No words were passed between them, only minutes of silence that seemed to drag on forever. Footsteps. Ginny heard footsteps nearing her cell. That’s when the mystery unraveled. His mask was thrown to the ground, the unmistakable sneer of Draco Malfoy staring back at her.

“I am going to kill you Weasley and take great satisfaction in watching your traitorus blood join Potter’s.”

The other Death Eaters joined them in the cell, their laughter rising as Draco Malfoy’s hand met the youngest Weasley’s face. A harsh slap echoed in the room as she stumbled into the wall.


Harry broke Ginny out of her reverie, “Gin, whatever his reasons, Draco Malfoy has changed.”

Touching her cheek, Ginny could still feel the sting Draco had left there. Why had it hurt so much? The slap was only the beginning. He had a job to do. If a mudblood lover was what Ginny was, mudblood torture techniques she would receive. After all these years she could still feel the tears streaming down her face as the deatheaters watched Draco Malfoy beat her. But it wasn’t physical pain that was making her cry. It was a feeling she couldn’t quite name.

Ginny remembers the black and blue marks that covered her skin, the snap of her wrist when he twisted her arm and her cries for him to stop. “Not so brave now are you, you stupid little Gryffindor!”

Ginny was grateful for the blackness that welcomed her as she slid to the floor. She could barely hear the other Death Eaters congratulate Draco Malfoy for a job well done. Hours later the familiar chant of healing spells had awoken her. The grey eyed monster who had left her broken was now trying to undo the damage.


Had he changed? Ginny could only guess he tried to heal her to spare himself further punishment form the Order when they eventually won. Or perhaps he wanted to torture her a bit later and needed a fresh and healed victim so that he could once again gain sadistic satisfaction from her pain.

Ron turned towards his sister, “Too many of us have suffered at Voldemort’s hands. He’s defeated and gone. I refuse to let his legacy rule my life any longer. Don’t live in the past Ginny, you’ll miss out on so much.”

It was no use asking them any more questions. It was clear where Harry and Ron stood. Still the worry weighed heavily upon her. Draco Malfoy, the brutal man from her dreams was in close contact with her son. She was urged on by an instinct older than time. That of a mother to protect her young. Ginny paused to reflect on all she had gone through. It was nothing less than a miracle that she was able to carry a healthy baby during such difficult times. Unbeknowest to Ginny, a bond ran through her veins to her very soul. A bond that was stronger than any magic - that of a mother and child.

What had Ron said many weeks ago in her hospital room? “Dean and Padma told me what happened. They were imprisoned with you during the last six weeks of the war. I didn’t want to believe what was said. But they saw with their own eyes. If I had been there Ginny I could have protected you.”

She might not get the answers she sought from her brother and Harry, but perhaps she could find out what she needed from another source. With half hearted thanks and kisses she excused herself from the table.

“Good luck at Hogwarts.” they both said before Ginny headed to the fireplace.

She watched them leave wondering where the Harry and Ron of old were. War, what was it good for? It brought her back to a world of strangers. Very soon she would be back at Hogwarts. Ginny looked forward to being in familiar surroundings. Unlike Diagon Alley which had been destroyed and rebuilt, Hogwarts had stood its ground.

Like Hogwarts, Ginny would stand her ground.

*~*~*

Slamming the door behind him, Draco headed for the chest at the foot of his bed. “Alohamora.” he whispered.

Unopened, the chest revealed unending piles of gifts. Carefully set aside were a broom and book all about the wonders of Monsters. Draco had to shudder at the title. There was only one reason to explain Alex’s fascination with creatures of the Wizarding world - Ginny Weasley. The boy may have looked like him but he had the heart of a Weasley. How else to explain why no one had noticed their resemblance?

Draco placed another package atop years of wrapped presents that were never given to their intended recipients. This one had a tag that announced, “Merry Christmas, Alex Malfoy!”

When Alex was still on speaking terms with Draco, he admitted his love for the game of wizarding chess. That very day Draco had ordered the most elaborate wizarding chess set that money could buy. Draco couldn’t believe the Gods had given him a son who had so many Weasley traits. Sooner or later he would be punished for the Weasley is Our King song. Yet, he wouldn’t have it any other way. Though the Malfoy blood ran through Alex, he was good, pure and all things Draco could never be. Alex was Draco’s redemption.

Wasn’t this what I wanted? Draco argued with himself. Alex would avoid the taint of being a Malfoy. Avoid the stigma of having the family name together ingrained in the minds of many as being one with the Dark Lord. Despite his misplaced efforts, his son still suffered.

How Draco wanted to choke those who would curse his son! Hexing them wouldn’t be punishment enough. Draco had wanted to kill the younger Zabini that very first day in the DADA classroom. He dared call his son a bastard. It took every ounce of Draco’s strength not to wring Marcel Zabini’s ugly little neck and send his body parts back to Blaise.

The rumors that would reach Alex’s ear had poisoned the boy against him. It was bound to happen. Draco had been expecting it, didn’t mean he was prepared. The past three weeks had been the hardest in Draco’s teaching career. His son would never meet his eyes. On the chance Alex did, his brown eyes would stare right through his Professor with a face Draco would almost describe as disgust. He was sure the other students had noticed how the boy no longer participated in class and how the professor ceased to call on his prize pupil. Draco had longed to pull him aside and talk to him, tell him the truth no matter what the consequences. Even when Draco had asked Alex to stay after class, his son disobeyed, following the other students out of the classroom.

There was one promise Draco made to himself back in Diagon Alley long ago when he held an infant Alex in his arms. Draco would not be Lucius. Draco would not force Alex to do anything he wasn’t ready for. When Alex was ready he would tell him the truth. But there had been too many ears and the opportunity never presented itself.

There was only one person that could make everything right. Draco pulled out a small velvet box from his robe. He had carried it for far too long. Tapping the box with his wand, a diamond ring slowly emerged. The diamond sparkled, casting it’s brilliance on the walls of his dungeon bedroom. Draco whispered a spell, for the first time he pleaded with the gods of fate and fortune.

“Please Ginny forgive me. Please Ginny, remember me.”

A burst of light surrounded the velvet box. Draco had hoped that one day the ring would grace the hand of a particular redhaired woman. Now beautifully wrapped he added the tag which read, “Merry Christmas Ginny Weasley.”

This year Santa wouldn’t forget Ginny and Alex Weasley.

*~*~*

A tray of samosas and chutney greeted Ginny upon flooing to Ron’s London flat. The spicy aroma of Indian cooking was strangely comforting. Watching Padma at work in the kitchen, Ginny had images of her own mother ensuring her seven children were well fed. It was still hard to believe that Padma and Ron were parents with a life of their own.

“Thanks for seeing me so early in the morning Padma. I hope I didn’t inconvenience you” Ginny said as she took a seat at the dining room table.

“On the contrary, I love company. Ron’s an early riser, what with Quidditich practice and all.” Padma answered pointing to pile of dirty breakfast dishes that lay in the sink, “I’m up before the sun rises making sure that husband of mine is fed properly. He eats like a growing boy!”

Ginny had to stifle a laugh, the amount of dishes was evidence to the fact that some things never changed. Ron still had an enormous appetite.

“Aunt Ginny!” Anjali squealed in delight jumping up on Ginny’s lap. “ Can I show you my pictures?” Without waiting for her aunt’s response Anjali had already opened her coloring book filled with moving pictures of scribbled animals and what Ginny guessed were supposed to represent people.

“You have quite the artist on your hands Padma. She certainly didn’t get this talent from Ron.”

“No, but she did get his penchant for leaving things a mess...Anjali, did you clean up your room yet?” Padma asked while brewing a pot of tea on the stove.

“Later Mummy...”

“No, not later Anjali Vanhi Weasley. Now!”

Ginny had to suppress her laughter at the now pouting four year old who was climbing off her lap. “Sorry Mummy.”

“While you’re in your room I want those walls wiped down and no magic! Understand?”

Even in giving orders like a general, Padma was nothing if not motherly. Could Ginny even be this way with Alex? He didn’t seem like the type of boy she’d ever have to order about twice. Not that she would ever want to tell him what to do. But wasn’t that what mother’s were supposed to do? How in the world could she even hope to step into Molly Weasley’s shoes?

“Can you believe Anjali painted, or shall I say scribbled her room exactly like the quidditch pitch! Ron thought it was, in his words -Bloody Brilliant!” Padma shook her head with what seemed like frustration as she set down two mugs of tea, joining her sister in law at the table. A smile broke upon her lips after taking a sip, “ He’s lucky I’m in love with him.”

A thought flitted across Ginny’s mind. It hadn’t seemed appropriate to bring up and doubted she ever would. The need to know why was still there. Before the war Ron had been engaged to Luna Lovegood. Padma was simply a girl he had taken to the Yule Ball many moons before. Ginny would never have guessed, not in a million years that Ron would have married Padma Patil. Hermione maybe, Luna, most definitely. Padma? Not once had the idea ever crossed her. Then again, being a mother never crossed Ginny’s mind either.

Funny really, as Ginny’s eyes came to rest on a moving portrait of Luna Lovegood on the mantle of the fireplace. Why would Ron keep a picture of his ex-fiancee?

Pouring some cream into her tea, Ginny wondered why Padma didn’t object to Luna Lovegood’s picture so blatantly displayed. Ginny could only imagine the hurt she would feel. As if reading her thoughts Padma answered.

“Luna Lovegood died during the war Ginny.”

Ginny’s mug shook with Padma’s words. Luna Lovegood was dead. “How?” Ginny knew too well, the horrors of those captured by deatheaters.

“The war was nearing the end. Everyone could see that the Order was winning. Right before our prison was liberated, the Death Eaters rounded the prisoners. They meant to kill every last one of us. Seamus, Neville, and so many others…….they killed them all. Luna…….” Padma paused taking a controlled breath before weeping, “Luna took an Avada Kedavra for me.”

Ginny had come here to be comforted but soon found herself giving what she was seeking. She put an arm around Padma’s shoulders. Ron had not only lost Percy and Charlie but Luna as well. Everything Ron had said started to make sense.

“I’m so sorry.” Ginny said holding onto her sister in law. She repeated it for her brother hoping that he could feel her sorrow as well. “I’m so sorry.” Silently Ginny floated a box of tissues towards Padma. Padma took one and scrubbed at her cheeks with the crumpled tissue.

Ginny hadn’t been expecting the question that followed. She was supposed to be asking the questions and receiving the answers that would unlock the past. What about the deatheater that had taken her nightly? Why wasn’t she killed with the rest of the prisoners? All questions were forgotten at the sound of Padma’s voice.

“Ginny, do you believe that good can come from evil?”

Nothing good had come from all those who died except that the living still had to endure pain and suffering. Broken spirits were left behind in the wake of war. No one seemed the same, especially her own family. Always full of energy, Ron had been much more subdued. George and Fred weren’t as jovial as before. Bill had come back missing not only the warmness that once graced his eyes but also a limb as well.

Ginny had to be honest with herself, “I don’t believe so.”

“Before Luna died she had only one request. She asked me to look after Ron. In the midst of all that darkness and ugliness she gave me a future. You do understand, don’t you? Don’t dwell on the past Gin. It’s not healthy for you or for your son. ”

Like a broken record were the words that met Ginny’s ears The anger of a seventeen year old trapped in a twenty-nine year old’s body threatened to spill. “Don’t dwell on the past?? I’ve forgotten enough as it is Padma! Is this a wasted trip? Will you tell me nothing?” Rising abruptly, Ginny pushed in her chair. She had been so close to finding out what happened. The last thing she wanted was a fight with her sister in law.

Ginny strode over to the fireplace ready to make the last leg of her final connection to Hogwarts . Dissappointed at Harry, Ron and her sister in law, Ginny was sure Hermione would probably be the same. Telling her as did everyone else, to get on with her life. Wasn’t that what she was doing? Teaching at Hogwarts would be a new beginning for not only her but Alex.

Taking out the picture in her cloak pocket of Alex and Draco Malfoy, Ginny couldn’t help but notice the look of absolute admiration from student to teacher. She would not have Alex Weasley under the influence of a man who was in league with murderers. For the protection her brothers had lacked, she would give back to Alex tenfold.

Deep inside something else was eating at her. She had answered Padma honestly about good evolving from evil. Now it was time to be honest with herself. It should have been Alex, and only Alex that urged her on towards Hogwarts.

Partly –yes. Entirely – no.

Hate was a strong word, at one time only belonging to the original owner of the diary that almost took her life. The new honor now belonged to none other than Draco Malfoy.

*~*~*

The Buzz around Hogwarts was centered on the new and very pretty flying instructor. Alex rolled his eyes at 5th year Gryffindors Lawrence Andrews and Samuel Li who were doing nothing but making foul gestures about what exactly they would like to do to this new teacher.

They had met her after breakfast, being sent to the Headmistress’ office by Filch who had caught them both vandalizing a portrait of Salazar Slytherin. Upon arriving they found the office already occupied with, in their own words, an “oh so drop dead beautiful creature.” A beauty about which they were discussing their wretched fantasies out loud, in the middle of Hogwarts courtyard to a laughing all male audience.

“That talk isn’t appropriate!”

All eyes turned to the blond boy sitting on a bench with his two dreadlocked cousins. Lawrence and Samuel were disgusting, really. The pair of them. Had they no respect for their fellow female students and teachers? It was clear they did not. Alex didn’t like it when people would talk about him behind his back, he would not stand to hear such talk about others.

“No wonder they can’t get dates.” Alex muttered under his breath trying to get back to reading his Care of Magical Creatures book.

Edmund and Everett looked wide-eyed at their once quiet cousin. Since when did he develop such a mouth?? They were dying to tell him the secret their Mum and Dad owled that morning, but were immediately hit by a silencing charm as soon as they opened the letter. Dinner couldn’t come fast enough.

“Sod-off Weasley.” Came the familiar voice of Lawrence Andrews. In a mock baby voice he added, “Did Granny Molly tell you it wasn’t nice to talk about girls?” As a beater for The Gryffindor team he commanded respect and fear. None of which Alex had for him.

“Yes! My Grandma Molly said exactly that! It’s not respectful!” Alex slammed the cover of his book no longer interested in reading. Laughter erupted around him at his admission followed by remarks akin to whether he still wore diapers.

Alex sighed now wishing he kept quiet. He’d have to walk straight past Lawrence and Samuel to get back to class. With his head held high and his legs moving at a very brisk pace for an 11 year old , Alex walked towards the corridor.

He should have seen it coming, should have known that Lawrence and Samuel wouldn’t let him get away without punishing him. Simple really what they did but embarrassing nonetheless. Samuel casually left his foot out at just the moment Alex crossed him. Before Alex knew it, he had landed on the ground with a harsh crack.

“You have a lot of nerve telling us what to do Death Eater spawn!” Lawrence spat enjoying the site of Alex and his now bleeding nose. “Just the thought of you being here disgraces all of Gryffindor!”

“Leave him alone!” mouthed Everett and Edmund who were immediately binded when they attempted to jump into the fray.

The taste of coppery blood trickling down his throat made him nauseous. His face was wet with not just tears but blood that was slowly dripping from his pained nose onto the courtyard. Not one person, save for Everett and Edmund who were incapacitated at the moment, tried to help him. Why were his own housemates laughing? He never felt more alone than at this moment. Alex could deal with the Slytherins dislike for him. But his fellow Gryffindors were his friends. Weren’t they? Had they all hated him from the very beginning? Why? Why him?

Pointing fingers shook with laughter as Alex struggled to his feet, feeling a bit woozy at the sight of his own blood. Alex could feel his nose throbbing as he applied pressure hoping to stop what seemed like an endless flow of blood.

“Your Death Eater father killed my uncles!” Lawrence said shoving Alex back to the ground and punching him hard in the head.

Stars, Alex could see stars as he instinctively brought his arms up to his face. Alex would prove to them all that he was a Gryffindor. Although his tears betrayed him Alex refused to beg Lawrence to stop. Begging would mark him as a coward. Uncle Percy and Uncle Charlie had died. His own mum was almost killed. Couldn’t they see he was as much of a Gryffindor as them?

He needed to get away. Run to his room and hide. But his body was too weak and frail. Alex tried in vain to grab his wand that was only an arm’s length away.

Snap.

The 5th year stepped harshly on the wand sending splinters in Alex’s face.

“Um….Lawrence...I think that’s enough.” Samuel pulled Lawrence away afraid that a bit of what he thought was goodnatured ribbing was going into a territory he did not want.

“No, that little dark wizard is going to get what’s coming to him!” Cheers went up in the courtyard as Lawrence wretched himself free and landed a kick to Alex’s stomach.

They were clapping their hands at the sight of a bleeding and sobbing first year. Why did Grandma and Grandpa Weasley send him here? He hated Hogwarts and most of all he hated Professor Malfoy.

“You’re hurting him! Leave him alone!” came the shrill cry of Casey Wood.

“Hey Weasley, it’s your girlfriend to the rescue!” Lawrence chuckled emptying Alex’s school bag and throwing the books forcefully at Alex Weasley’s head.

Alex was much to dizzy to focus but he could make out the familiar shape of Casey Wood running back into the school. Alex cried with disappointment, but not from the throbbing pain. Alex cried realizing that he indeed was alone.

No mother.

No father.

No friends.

To prevent any further blows Alex tried to curl himself into a ball, but found he was being held down by three other Gryffindors who decided to join in. Their malicious grins accompanied the many fists that landed on his face, chest and stomach. The pain became too much as Alex finally broke down, crying for them to stop.

“Please, no more!” at his plea, the beatings suddenly stopped.

A sudden chill swept through the courtyard as a ferocious growl reached Alex’s ears. “WINGARDIUM LEVIOSA!”

With much effort, Alex opened a swollen eye finding himself now surrounded by the familiar faces of Casey Wood and a now unbound Edmund and Everett. Casey took out a handkerchief and pressed it against his bleeding nose, “I went to get help.”

Alex followed her gaze to Professor Malfoy. To his surprise the DADA Professor was flinging the offending students against the wall, promising each and every last one of them that they would never set foot in Hogwarts again.

Ordering two prefects and a head girl to deliver the rest of the students to the Headmistress, Draco saved a shaking and cowering Lawrence all to himself. “Have to pick on someone smaller than you, do you?” Draco’s hands were upon the 5th years neck banging his head with each word against the courtyard wall.

“If you hurt a student professor, you’ll be out of a job!” Lawrence managed to say as Draco’s hands tightened around his neck.

“DON’T YOU EVER LAY A HAND ON ALEX. YOU AREN’T FIT TO WIPE HIS BOOTS. IF I SEE YOU SO MUCH AS LOOK HIS WAY, I PROMISE YOU, I SINCERELY PROMISE, THAT YOU WON’T LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO SEE ANOTHER DAY!”

Draco cocked his arm back and for the first time struck a student, square in the jaw. “NOW GO SEE HEADMISTRESS POTTER! WE”LL SEE WHICH ONE OF US WILL BE PACKING OUR BAGS TONIGHT!

With a shove and a kick, he sent a scared and running 5th year to the Headmistress. Cries of “I’ll have your job!.” didn’t seem to faze the Professor one bit.

Alex was in too much pain to protest when the Professor knelt next to him. As the Professor cradled him in his arms, confusion filled Alex . How could this be the same man that hurt his mother? This man that was now whispering how sorry he was, had rescued him again. Alex burrowed into Draco’s chest letting the tears and blood stain his father’s robe.

“Will he be ok Professor?” Casey Wood asked,a bit frightened at the look of worry on the Dada teacher’s face.

“Madame Pomfrey will make him as good as new.” Alex could hear the wavering voice of his father and wondered if he was telling the truth. Draco continued, “I have an assignment for the three of you.” he said addressing Casey and the Weasley twins, “ Tell Headmistress to meet me straight away in the infirmary.”

“Yes Professor!” three pairs of scurried feet ran off leaving Alex alone with the Professsor.

Alex should’ve been scared after all he heard about the former Death Eater. The funny thing was he never felt more safe and secure in his life. Before he knew it Alex was laying on a hospital cot being fussed over by Madame Pomfrey. Everything was a bit hazy as Madame Pomfrey got him into a hospital gown and started repairing his injuries. His head ached something fierce and there was a constant ringing in his ear, not to mention the all over body aches that were now beginning to numb thanks to Madame Pomfrey.

She lifted a bitter smelling concoction to his lips and he pushed it away.

“No! It’s going to taste horrible!”

With a stern voice she brought the cup again to Alex’s lips, “Mr. Weasley you have a concussion, not to mention various broken bones.”

There had to be a better way. Wasn’t there some spell she could cast? “ No!” he repeated.

“Alex,” came the commanding voice of Professor Malfoy, “You will drink this potion and you will drink it now.” Professor Malfoy was still here! He hadn’t left! Alex turned over to meet the fuzzy image of his father. Alex felt the professor wrap an arm around him, slowly but carefully raising him up to a sitting position. Taking the cup from Madame Pomfrey, Professor Malfoy lifted it to Alex’s mouth again. This time Alex did not refuse.

“He’ll need to be observed for the next 24 hours.”

Alex felt a slight smile at Professor’s words, although it disappeared with the first signs of nausea, the potion was absolutely horrible!

“I’d like to keep him company for a bit if you don’t mind.”

Madame Pomfrey smiled, “Not at all Professor.” Stepping out she closed the curtain allowing a son and father a moment alone. She may have only been a school nurse but it was her skills of assesment that made her a competent healer. Observing student injuries wasn’t the only thing she was good at.

Alex allowed Professor to sit next him on the cot as he rested his head against his shoulder. Alex refused to believe this man had raped his mother. The ugly rumors couldn’t be true. But what if they were? Should he even ask?

A Gryffindor would face the truth. Am I not a true Gryffindor?

“Professor, can I ask you a question?” his voice shook. What if the answer wasn’t what he wanted?

Alex wondered if perhaps Professor Malfoy hadn’t heard. After a long pause he answered, “You can ask me anything.”

Knowing the answer, Alex asked anyway, “Are you my father, Professor?”

*~*~*

Alex knew! Draco had given him physical attributes, the hair, his face save for the brown eyes. But nothing else. He missed so much. He never changed a diaper, never saw Alex take his first step or fly his first broom. But he wanted to make it up to him. There were too many things he ought to have done in Alex’s life.

His answer was surrounded by rumors of a beaten and raped Ginny Weasley. Draco couldn’t get the harsh image that kept him in nightmares and filled him with guilt. They were coming to take her. Avery and Mcnair were going to torture the woman he had just made love to. The fear of what else they might do added to the despair of the decision he had to make.

Alex sprang from love.

Then everything went horribly wrong.

So he beat her himself while hiding his tears from Avery and Mcnair. Draco fooled himself into thinking he could keep Ginny safe. Better him than another deatheater who would leave her for dead. Ginny’s battered face haunted him till this day. Instead it now took the form of a bruised and innocent young boy. Alex was being punished for all the sins he had committed.

Draco couldn’t change what happened. The guilt of all the mistakes he made weighed heavily on Draco, he was afraid he couldn’t move. But Alex, he wasn’t a mistake.One fact remained. Alex Weasley was his son and he deserved to know the truth. Alex’s brown eyes searched his grey ones waiting for the answer that would either damn Draco in his sons eyes or bring them closer. Could his son see beyond what everyone else deemed fact? If Alex did believe him, would he hate Draco for not telling him sooner?

“I loved your mummy so very much.” Draco held back the tears that threatened to overflow and managed to croak out, “ You’re my son Alex and I love you.”

Instead of pushing him away Draco felt his son’s arms wrap around him. Draco finally let go, tears cascading down his cheeks, over his nose, into his mouth and off his chin. Father and son held each other. For the first time Draco felt forgiveness.

*~*~*

Arriving at the school Hermione had given Ginny the grand tour of Hogwarts. Not that it was needed. Mostly it was a nostalgic trip back to the past. She was introduced to the new staff and reacquainted with the old. The only staff member she hadn’t met was Draco Malfoy. The time would come. Sooner rather than later when she realized her bedroom was next door to none other than Draco Malfoy’s.

“There must be some other accommodations!” Ginny protested. The room itself was in excellent condition. The man Ginny wanted to keep far from her son would now be in close proximity to her.

“Unless you want to rent a room in Hogsmeade, this is it.”

Ginny reluctantly agreed to the room, dropping off her bags and books. It was a far cry from her room in the Burrow , not as warm and welcoming but clean nonetheless. She would have to make it more accommodating for Alex to visit.

“I have a few papers left for you to sign in my office Ginny. Afterwards we’ll head to dinner. Alex will be so happy to see you.”

And surprised. Ginny wondered how Alex would respond to the fact that she was teaching at Hogwarts. Would Alex accept her after hearing his own mum refuse him ? Ginny knew that she already had his love, love that she didn’t rightly deserve. The big question was – Could she accept him? Lost in her thoughts Ginny didn’t realize that they were now standing in front of the entrance that used to belong to Dumbledore.

“Muggle-Born.” Hermione chanted sharing a smile with Ginny. Ginny had to hold back a laugh, Salazar Slytherin was probably rolling over in his grave. Once inside, the wooden spiral staircase slowly carried its occupants upward.

Ginny had always been in awe of this particular office. She wondered what interesting objects Hermione had added to the collections of the Headmasters of old. Ginny had been so busy that morning that she hadn’t bothered taking a look. With a few minutes to spare, perhaps she could take a tour before dinner. What she didn’t expect to find was a room filled with students including her two nephews, Edmund and Edwin. They ran to her immediately, followed by a young black haired girl who reminded Ginny of Cho Chang.

“What is the meaning of this!” Hermione directed her question to Ravenclaw Head Girl Lisa McDougal and Hufflepuff prefect Zacharias Smith Jr. The Head girl looked around nervously at the angry looks cast upon her by the other students. Whispering in Hermione’s ear, Ginny could see her face fall.

“Is there something I can do?” Ginny offered wondering what these Gryffindors had done that had half of her old house sent to the Headmisstress office.

“Lisa, Zacharias continue watching these students.” Hermione glared at each of the Gryffindors, her voice uncharacteristically rising. “NONE OF YOU WILL LEAVE THIS ROOM UNTIL I GET BACK! IS THAT UNDERSTOOD?”

The students nodded flinching at the harshness that had escaped Hermione’s mouth. Turning to the twins she saw as her own nephews, her voice became gentle. “Edmund, Everett you can come along to the infirmary with me and Aunt Ginny.” Hermione patted the black haired girl on the head, “You can come too Casey.”

Infirmary? Ginny creased her eyebrow in confusion as she followed Hermione outside the office and down the hallway. “What’s going on Mione?” Her question was soon answered.

“Alex is injured.”

Ginny’s breath caught in her throat, “What? How?”

“They beat him up Miss Weasley.” Casey offered

Fingering the wand between her hands, Ginny’s anger grew. One against many. Sparks shot from Ginny’s wand, tempting her to turn around and hex them all. How long had he been in pain? She was here to protect Alex from the likes of Draco Malfoy. Not once did she think he would suffer at the hands of his own house.

“He was bleeding really bad...” Casey added.

“Ssh!” Hermione said trying to lessen the worry she knew Ginny felt.

Without a look back Ginny raced towards the hospital wing, leaving Hermione and the children behind. Wild with fear and regret that she had pushed Alex away, Ginny only hoped it wasn’t too late to make amends. Alex had heard the hateful words come from her mouth.

“I don’t want that boy near me!”

“I’ll make it up to you Alex, I sware on Percy and Charlie’s graves. I will make it up to you.”

Catching her breath she arrived at the infirmary greeted by Madame Pomfrey. She promised Ginny that although Alex had a concussion , multiple bruises and broken bones he would be fine.

He’s going to be fine. He’s going to be fine, she repeated. The assurance she received from Madame Pomfrey did nothing to quell the ache Ginny carried in her heart. Ginny squeezed her eyes shut feeling pinpricks of tears at the thought of the suffering he had to have endured.

“He’s a strong boy Miss Weasley. He’s already on the road to recovery. I daresay that in a week’s time, he’ll be to back to normal running around with those rambunctious cousins of his.”

Ginny sighed with relief, “Where is he?”

Madame Pomfrey led her to a a cot with drapes drawn around, If Professor Malfoy hadn’t gotten to him in time, I’m afraid...”

Ginny didn’t let Pomfrey continue, opening the curtains with such force she almost ripped them from their hangings. Touching was what she might have described it. Propped up by pillows, Alex was resting his his head against Malfoy’s chest snoring softly. A sleeping Malfoy, held Alex with what Ginny might describe as protective possessiveness.

What game Malfoy was playing at, she didn’t know. Finishing the job he started with her brothers? Trying to make up for the past? Possibly. But he wouldn’t do it through Alex. Ginny would make sure of that.

She wanted to tell Malfoy to leave, yet she couldn’t bring herself to wake him. Alex looked content and happy with Malfoy. Now that she wanted to make a new beginning for her and Alex, the last thing she wanted was for him to be upset with her.

Carefully Ginny sat on the cot, with Alex between her and Malfoy. Ginny trembled as she tried to keep her tears at bay. She placed a kiss on each of his swollen eyes. The sight of Alex wrapped in bandages caused her heart to wrench.

“I won’t let anyone hurt you again.” Ginny whispered.

Ginny kissed the bruise on his cheek willing him to heal. Small brown eyes fluttered open meeting Ginny’s own. “I came back for you Alex.” Ginny waited, hoping against hope that Alex still wanted her as much as she now realized she loved and wanted him.

His voice held a note of disbelief, “M-Mum?”

Mum. Alex had called her mum. Tears flooded her eyes, streaming down her cheeks. “Yes Alex, Mummy is here.”

“All my dreams are coming true.” Alex yawned with a lazy smile before turning once again to his professor and drifting off to sleep.

She smoothed Alex’s hair back gazing at the wonderment that this particular angel was her son. Oh how Ginny wished she could turn back the clock. She had missed out on singing him lullabies, his first birthday and seeing him off to his first day of school.

“I’ll never leave you again.” She said softly to Alex not realizing another blonde had awoken to her promise.

“Ginny?”

She stiffened at his voice. The same voice that threatened to kill her so long ago. Here he was holding her son. The one thing she could call her very own. She brought up her eyes to meet his.

“Ginny?” he repeated.

How dare he talk to her as if he knew her! How dare Draco Malfoy try to gain her son’s affections! Ginny’s lips tightened and she was silent for a moment, studying the man before her.

“Professor Weasley to you. I’m the new flying instructor.”

Draco straightened up, lowering Alex gently back into bed. “W-Welcome to Hogwarts.” Ginny had never heard Malfoy sound so nervous. Maybe he was afraid she knew too much. He held out his hand which Ginny refused to take.

“I remember you Malfoy. Don’t think I haven’t forgotten how cruel you were.” Ginny said through clenched teeth.

“Ginny, I can exp...”

Ginny cut him off, pointing towards the door, “Leave Malfoy! I don’t want to hear you, I don’t want to talk to you and I don’t want you near my son!” she said in a raised whisper.

Malfoy stood there frozen, his face unreadable to Ginny.

“I said go!”

Malfoy’s hands shook as it gripped onto the curtains that surrounded Alex’s bed. Finishing what Ginny started, he tore the curtains from their hangings, tossing them to the floor. Ginny stared at him in shock as he strode out the infirmary . With one last look Draco Malfoy locked his gaze with Ginny’s, slamming the doors behind him.

A flash of memory flickered before her. Hungry kisses, the feel of hands on bare skin and the irresistible burn of pleasure and excitement as she looked into her lover’s grey eyes. Trying to hold onto the memory, it slipped from her grasp and was gone.
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=394