Remember Me by flame_kitty
Summary: Draco is a known death eater, and Ginny an Auror. Both share a secret, but it was never meant to be.
A short, but dark, one-shot. Not for those looking for fluff at all.

Categories: Completed Short Stories Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Warnings: Blood, Character Death, Graphic Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1282 Read: 2735 Published: Feb 02, 2006 Updated: Feb 02, 2006

1. The End by flame_kitty

The End by flame_kitty
Author's Notes:
Don't read unless you want to be sad!

Some (but few) of the spoken words are taken from the show "Dark Angel", as well as the way someone dies (with a few twists). Draco, Ginny, Lucius, and the Death Eaters are taken from J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter Series. (Many thanks!)
Ginny ran as fast as she could away from the sound of alarms with Draco not far behind.

How they had escaped his father's clutches this time Draco didn't know. All he could think about at the moment was getting Ginny off of Malfoy land and into someplace she could apparate to safety from.

The two had reached a clearing with a brook running through it and Draco grabbed Ginny roughly around the waist whispering a levitation spell as he floated them over the brook.

They both hit the ground running and Ginny didn't need to turn back to know that there were brooms taking off from the highest parapet of Malfoy Mansion already after the two.

Ginny kept swiping the brush out of her way as her and Draco pushed through the forests surrounding the Manor with as much speed and agility as if they were Gazelles. Both having been trained in the art of fleeing, one as a death eater and the other an auror.

Draco stopped suddenly in another clearing, forcing Ginny to stop along with him.

He knew that she would never be safe with him at her side. There would always be another death eater after him, no matter where he went. At least he could save Ginny, she had yet to be seen.

"Draco! Just what in the hell do you think you're doing?" Ginny practically screeched at him. "If you haven't noticed we have to continue running for our lives!! "

"I go no further, Weasley." He spat back at her, as if disgusted. "I can't pretend to be someone I'm not anymore."

"What are you talking about!" She walked briskly over to him and grabbed his arm intending on pulling him across the clearing to the safety of the trees. But Draco yanked his arm back from her grasp, stopping her motion.

" Draco ," she growled at him, gritting her teeth, "We don't have time for this nonsense! They'll be upon us any moment!"

"Yes," he replied smoothly, dreading how his next words would hurt her. "To find me, here, over your dead body."

He smirked his infamous smirk as she gasped at his words. Not one millimeter of the smirk truthful.

"Did you really expect me to have changed, Weasley? I am Draco Malfoy, son of Lucius Malfoy, and I do what I am told." That's right Draco, make her believe you don't care, you never cared.

He could see the tears well up in her chocolate brown eyes, and it was almost too mush to bear, only he knew the fate that awaited her if he didn't do this.

"Draco, what are you saying?" she squeaked out, not believing what she was hearing.

"I'm saying I'm about to kill you Weasley. I'm going to make an example out of you for the rest of your muggle-loving family to take heed that the Dark Lord does not take kindly to your type of filth." He sneered at her then, looking all for the world as if he didn't want to be in the presence of such trash.

"You don't mean that!" She screamed at him, her tears choking her voice. "You know that you don't! I know you love me!"

"No, you deluded yourself, I never cared for you. Not once, and now it's time to die." he punctuated his last words by drawing out his wand.

"Fine then, kill me." Ginny challenged, straightening her back and pulling her shoulders back to look her full height of 5'2''.

Draco hesitated before throwing a charm her way that was all color and no effect, it was only helpful for him that its color was the same as the Killing Curse. Thankfully Ginny had jumped out of the way before she was able to find out that it was a fake and she took aim.

She hit him full in the chest with a Force charm sending him flying across the clearing and into some trees. When she thought she had another good shot she hit him with the same thing, this time sending him down a steep hill towards more water.

She heard him scream in agony and jumped down the slope to find him sprawled out at the bottom not moving.

Oh God, I've killed him. She thought to herself while frantically kneeling near his head and cradling it in her lap.

He was very limp and his head lolled about in her lap as she cried over him.

"Draco I'm so sorry, ... so sorry." She cried as she cradled his head.

"It's alright Ginny, I made you do it."

"No, no, no. Don't speak, please just, don't leave me." She cried harder.

"Ginny listen to me. I need you to keep going. You know we could never have had a peaceful life after what just happened." He inhaled painfully. "You know they would have found us, we wouldn't have been safe."

Ginny bent down and held her face close to his.

"I knew you couldn't have meant all of those things. That's why I didn't kill you right off." She choked out between tears.

"I know, Gin. That's what had to be done though. You have to go on without me."

"I can't leave you here! You'll be captured!" she whispered frantically.

"I know. You know what you have to do."

Ginny started wildly shaking her head back and forth. This night was never supposed to happen. If the raid had gone as planned none of this would have happened. And now Draco was here asking her to do the impossible.

"Gin, you can't carry me anywhere, you'll get caught before we escape. Levitation won't work because you'll need all of your concentration and power to get yourself out of the Malfoy Wards. Please, just understand."

"No." She stated firmly looking away from him. "I will not kill the one and only person in my life I've ever truly loved."

"Gin, if you don't they will. You know the many different ways of killing a person slowly, they know all of them and then some."

Ginny shook her head in the affirmative. She couldn't wait any longer or they were going to find her and him both and then who knew what would happen.

"I'm sorry, Draco. I love you, oh God how I love you. And here you are breaking my heart all over again."

"I know, Gin. I know. But you have to. You know what they'll do to me if they find me ." His words became a plea. "Please, Gin. Do it for us. Do it for what we have." He paused before dealing the final blow. "Do it for me ."

Ginny nodded again, she had no other choice. She picked his head up from her lap leaving him with one final, searing kiss before laying his head upon the ground and standing up.

"Goodbye, Draco. I'll always love you" she strained to speak through the haze of her grief.

"And I, you." Draco replied, smiling as well as any man about to die could. "Remember me."

She nodded as she aimed her wand at his chest for the final time and whispered the words that would take him from this world and into the next.

She waited until she saw his last breath leave his body before turning towards the Malfoy Wards and running, tears blurring her vision.

I'll always love you and only you Draco Malfoy. And I will never forget you. she swore to herself as she pushed her way through the wards and out into the open air of Wiltshire.

As she apparated to Grimmauld place she knew she never would.
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=4157