Diamonds by Jewels
Summary: They're all she's got left.
Categories: Completed Short Stories Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Angst
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 405 Read: 2570 Published: Feb 20, 2006 Updated: Feb 21, 2006

1. Diamonds by Jewels

Diamonds by Jewels
Author's Notes:
The lyrics between the paragraphs are from "Diamonds are Forever" which I swiped off Kanye West, who swiped them off a Bond movie.

Please drop a review when you've finished reading: feedback is always appreciated! I'll try and write something more cheerful next time. :)
Diamonds

Ginny sat on the bed, gazing out of the open window. A cold breeze was circling the room, making her ruby hair waver and swirl, tangling with the pale linen curtains. Fat tears were tumbling silently down her cheeks and obscuring her vision, making strands of hair stick uncomfortably to her skin. Her breaths were short and raspy and she was shivering.

Diamonds are forever…

A fine silver chain was strewn over her open hand, glistening in the opalescent moonlight. A small pearl-shaped diamond hung loosely from it, mirroring the tears falling down her face. A tiny star was charmed into the precious stone, the clear light illuminating Ginny’s hand in an ethereal glow.

…they won’t leave in the night…

She sobbed harder, her whole body trembling violently as she curled up into a little ball, hidden under the twisted bed sheets. He was gone. He had left her while she was sleeping. All of his clothes were gone from the cupboard, all of his toiletries gone from the bathroom. Even the goddamn hair gel was gone. He wasn’t coming back.

…I’ve no fear that they might…

She had been so scared; she hadn’t known how he would react, what he would do when he found out. When he found out they were dead. Both of them. Not that they had been particularly good parents, but they were still his parents. And now their murderers were after him too. And he was alone.

…desert me…

So now he was gone, leaving behind only the diamond necklace and a note scrawled on a scrap of old parchment in his familiar tall, loopy handwriting:

Diamonds are forever.

~*~

Draco stood alone on the pavement, the hood of his cloak casting dark shadows over his sharp features. Cars rushed past, headlights flashing and horns blaring, the screeching tyres leaving black marks on the road. He ignored them. He had eyes only for the small window, on the fourth floor of a block of flats. All the lights were off, but he thought he could just make out a figure by the window, her usually scarlet hair drenched in black shadows. He felt his chest constrict painfully but turned away before he could change his mind. She was safer without him. She didn’t need him around anymore. She had her diamond, and it would never let her down. After all, diamonds are forever.
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=4204