Fate by skully
Summary: "Will I join the fight? What is my fate?” A world of uncertainty tumbles into chaos. Ginny's sixth year may not continue if Hogwarts doesn't re-open. Draco's life may not continue at all: "If one really is affected by their environment shouldn’t I have been able to do it? After growing up the way I did, why couldn't I kill? What happens now? What is my fate?”
Categories: Works in Progress Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1074 Read: 1836 Published: Apr 02, 2006 Updated: Apr 03, 2006

1. Chapter 1: Unanswerable Questions by skully

Chapter 1: Unanswerable Questions by skully
Author's Notes:
This piece started out with questions that a lot of readers ask, and then it turned into a story I could not get out of my head. Please enjoy and review.
Chapter One: Unanswerable Questions


“It makes me wonder, if the Death Eaters and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named can kill Dumbledore, is there truly anyone who can stop them? Harry Potter, the Chosen One, has joined the Order and left Hogwarts to fight the battle. Will the fight take his life? There are also rumors flying that Hogwarts will not re-open this fall, so what is my future? Will I join the fight? What is my fate?”

Ginny Weasley closed her journal. A sickening heap of uncertainty bubbled in her stomach. Deciding that warm milk may help her nausea she went downstairs to the kitchen. Number Twelve Grimmauld Place was quiet this early, but it would soon be buzzing with news of the war, and Ron would ask the same question on everyone’s minds: “Anyone we know?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I did not do it.” There was a long pause. “You saved me. The Dark Lord knows, and now no one I know is safe. What will my next task be? You have a black mark on your name as well, all because…you helped me. I just could not kill him. I feel so weak, but the trust in that old man’s eyes was like nothing I had seen before. If one really is affected by their environment shouldn’t I have been able to do it? After growing up the way I did, why couldn't I kill? What happens now? What is my fate?”

Snape listened to his blond-headed student rant while he sat with an expressionless face. Draco Malfoy sighed, plopped back in his chair, and grabbed his tea. Snape winced as Draco slopped a little on the furniture.

“All that matters now is that we hang our heads and act ashamed. The easiest way to be ignored by the Dark Lord is to support his ideas, to hide at the tails of his cloak instead of walking by his side.”

Snape had been waiting nearly two months, judging Draco’s character, testing him, and trying to see where his conscience would lead him. Draco’s weary face, tired eyes, and thinning body proved he had been losing as much sleep as Snape himself had. The boy seemed to want out of the Death Eaters, and it helped that Lucius was no longer able to spread his fatherly influence. Narcissa would be overjoyed to see Draco safe, even if it meant siding with the Weasley family. Snape decided to do it.

“Draco, there is something very important I have to talk to you about.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ginny heard a padding of slippers in the stairway. Soon a tall and disheveled Harry Potter came into the kitchen. His eyes grew as he spotted Ginny. “Couldn’t sleep either?” he asked, ruffling his hair.

“My brain just will not turn off,” she said, sounding exhausted. “And you?”

“I just don’t sleep much anymore,” he said. Harry poured a glass of water and plopped next to Ginny. Both sat in silence, not really knowing what to say. Things were still weird from their romantic relationship. Although they were sitting close, Ginny felt miles away.

“So, what are you going to do this year?” Harry asked.

“There is not much I can do, is there? If Hogwarts opens, I’ll go back to school. If it doesn’t, I will…” Ginny’s voice trailed off. If Hogwarts does not open, then what would she do? “If not, I’ll join the fight. I’ll come with you, Ron, and Hermione.”

“No, you can’t do that. I do not want you getting hurt.”

“That’s sweet Harry, but I’m not helpless.”

“You cannot go, though. That’s why I stopped our relationship. It’s already bad enough that everyone else I know could get hurt. I couldn’t deal with it if you were…gone,” said Harry getting quiet.

“So, you expect me to sit here…and do nothing? You sound like my brothers.”

“Well, it’s not just your brothers and me. Your mother would never let you help. Not with you being under age.”

“Only for six more months!” Ginny snapped. She was beyond sick of not being included in what was going on.

“Shh…you’re going to wake everyone.” Harry attempted to hold Ginny’s hand, but she pulled away. “We just want you to be safe.”

“I am tired of everyone saying I am too young and immature.” Ginny glared. “You know what you make me feel like?” She asked. Harry shook his head. “You make me feel useless.” With that Ginny put her glass in the sink and trudged up the stairs. Harry put his head in his hands, and then he rubbed his temples. Would he ever understand the fairer sex? “Probably not,” he thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I know you do not want to go there, Narcissa, but you will be safe.”

“But where will you and Draco be going?” asked the concerned mother.

“Narcissa, you know I cannot tell you that. Move in with your distant family. I will tell you how to contact us,” Snape explained. He looked over at the blond-headed teenager, standing by the door. “I have already vowed to keep him safe. I will not let him be harmed. Goodbye, Narcissa.” Snape kissed her hand. He then got up and walked past Draco. “Make it quick,” Snape commented as he walked outside.

Draco walked up to his mother. “Goodbye, mother. I…” He stopped. Narcissa had a single tear running down her cheek. She put one arm around her son and gave him a hug. Draco stood stiffly, unaware what to do. By the time he realized he should embrace his mother she had let go.

“Goodbye my sweet son.”

Draco kissed her hand, and turned to walk out the door. Snape, who was looking down at the ground, began walking the moment the door opened. There was silence between the two men as they walked onward, then Draco asked, “So where is it?”

“Not far,” Snape answered shortly.

The two men walked with bowed heads down the rainy streets of London. A pair of tear-ridden blue eyes watched the two head off into the night. Narcissa began to follow, but decided it was for the best that she stay put. It was better she not know where they were going. If she was caught, she would not have a location to give.

“Goodbye forever, Draco,” she whispered into the night.
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=4327