The Date Doctor by Maelyn
Past Featured StorySummary: Narcissa Malfoy wants Draco married off-- and quickly! So, she chooses to send him to a date coach of sorts. What Narcissa wants, Narcissa gets! *Fun, fluff!*
Categories: Long and Completed Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 12938 Read: 28832 Published: Jun 30, 2006 Updated: Nov 11, 2006

1. Prologue by Maelyn

2. 01. Frustration by Maelyn

3. 02. Mating Rituals by Maelyn

4. 03. Surprises by Maelyn

5. 04. Feeling by Maelyn

6. 05. Trapped by Maelyn

7. 06. The Ball by Maelyn

Prologue by Maelyn
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Fistful of Moondust for the beta (and Embellished on the Cabal for a few suggestions!) and Phaedra7veils for the encouragement!
Prologue: Narcissa’s Scheme

Narcissa Malfoy was a woman on a mission. She knew her son, Draco, was unhappy and she thought she knew just what he needed: a good woman. However, after observing him go through a string of women like he went through Chocolate Frogs when he was a child, she had decided perhaps the problem lay in him.


Draco Malfoy, despite his past, which had been cleaned up by a pricey Publicist after the war, was one of the most eligible bachelors in all of Wizarding Europe. He was certainly the most handsome, in her humble and unbiased opinion. He dated attractive young women from good, pureblood families. But the women he dated never stayed around long. Draco would claim some insipid reason or another but Narcissa was getting tired of it. She wanted to see her son settled and married. Narcissa Malfoy wanted grandchildren.


Draco was twenty-seven. Most of his fellow Hogwarts classmates had married. Gregory Goyle had married a Ravenclaw whose name Narcissa could never remember. Blaise Zabini had married Pansy Parkinson. Vincent Crabbe had found a bride in the fairly unattractive but sweet Eloise Midgen. Why, even that Ron Weasley had married! She felt it an outrage that Draco was not yet married and could not seem to keep a relationship going.


Narcissa Malfoy had a plan. She knew how Vincent Crabbe— and quite a few other young men— had landed their wives. They’d hired what was called a “date doctor.” This Date Doctor had counseling sessions and ‘mock-dates’ with the young men to help them work on their courting skills. This particular date doctor had also counseled female clientele, and had a male counterpart who took them on dates to teach etiquette, flirting techniques, and etcetera.


She never would have thought of it, given whom the date doctor was, but she was getting desperate. She also looked forward to the day Draco had his own house and his own family and she would be free to have the house to herself and do some traveling with a… companion.



xxx



Ginevra Weasley looked over the files her secretary had left on her desk. She also had a stack of mail to go through. But the owl she’d received earlier in the day was still heavy on her mind. It had shocked her, to be sure, and she wasn’t quite sure how to approach this.


She’d received an owl from Narcissa Malfoy, requesting that she counsel and help Draco. Narcissa seemed concerned that her son was not doing something right because he was not yet married and his relationships never seemed to last long.


‘Maybe that’s because he has his fun with them for one night, then moves on,’ she’d thought, recalling all the pictures in the society pages of Draco with various women on his arm. ‘But, I’m not supposed to be judgmental. I am supposed to help.’


She needed to send a reply. Mrs. Malfoy had sent the letter posted as urgent and wanted an answer right away. She was willing to pay three times Ginny’s normal fee. Ginny didn’t need the money. She did fine on her own. However, it certainly couldn’t hurt. She was currently saving for a down-payment on a charming house in the countryside. She could use that extra money to finish off the twenty-five percent she wanted to put down on the house.


She carefully penned a reply in her most elegant cursive, agreeing to take Draco as a client. She hoped she was making the right decision. She normally dealt with socially-challenged, shy men who were uncomfortable around women and needed encouragement. She knew Draco Malfoy did not fit into this category.


‘Oh well,’ she shrugged. ‘I could use a challenge.’ And a challenge this definitely would be.



-----

A/N: I am nearly done with Turning the Tables (2 more chapters, 1 nearly finished.) I accidentally deleted what I had of the next chapter of Exodus but I only foresee 2, maybe 3, more chapters for it. And this is just fluffy fun, so I should update it regularly.
01. Frustration by Maelyn
Author's Notes:
Thanks again to Fistful of Moondust for the beta. Also, thanks to the reviewers so far!
01. Frustration

“You did what?” Draco scoffed as he paced the living room floor.

His mother lay on her favorite chaise, sipping tea. “I’m not saying you need help, I just think it might be nice to try. Many young men have had success with this program.”

“Mother, I am young, successful, handsome—”

“Unmarried,” she interrupted. “It’s really the least you could do for your poor mother.”

“Argh!” Draco scowled, stopping mid-pace and dropping his head into his hands, rubbing at his eyebrows. He knew what she was insinuating. He was indebted to her for all those years ago and she wanted to collect.

There was no use arguing either. Once his mother had an idea, he might as well see it through until the point where he could show her it wouldn’t work. He’d see this ‘date doctor’ once or twice, give his mother substantiated reasons why this was not a course for him and she’d drop it. “Where and what time, mother?” he asked, sighing his defeat.

Narcissa smiled, setting her teacup back on its dish. “Tomorrow afternoon, two o’clock. Do be on time and dress nicely.”

“Mother! Do I ever not dress nicely?”

Narcissa simply shrugged. He knew she was referring to some of the Muggle-style clothing he’d taken to wearing. A nice Armani suit was a good as the finest dress robes, but not in his mother’s mind. She was still old school, although she knew the rest of the wizarding world had moved on.


xxx


The following day, Draco put on a nice set of dress robes. He didn’t want to wear formal dress robes, figuring something between formal and casual would do. He was utterly dreading this, but he dreaded confrontations with his overbearing mother more. He would go today and get it over with.

Draco Apparated to the port in Diagon Alley and looked for the address his mother had given him. The Date Doctor’s office was in a nice, new building near Flourish and Blotts. He entered and took the lift to the fourth floor.

He found suite four-eleven and opened the door. A cute young witch sat behind a large, cherry desk. The office was tastefully and richly decorated. Draco was impressed. Though, seeing as this woman made a lot of money helping… men less fortunate in looks and ability with the fairer sex, he simply shrugged. He wished he’d thought of this idea first, but he had his own business endeavors that made him a generous salary every month without requiring too much actual work on his part.

“Mr. Malfoy, here for the two o’clock,” he said as he sat down on a plush sofa. The young witch nodded. Draco smirked. The young witch no doubt knew who he was and what he was worth. He’d probably get a date and good shag out of it if he worked his charm right.

To his surprise, the witch simply said something into a box; nodded at a voice he couldn’t hear and motioned for him to follow her down a short hallway.

“The Doctor is expecting you,” she said, gesturing for him to open the office door and go on in. Draco nodded.

He opened the door as the young witch set off back to her desk without so much as a backwards glance. The sight that met him as he entered the office was not what he had been expecting.

A pair of long, toned legs stretched from a plum skirt and into a pair of extremely high heels. The body that these legs belonged to was currently bent over a file cabinet, flipping through folders.

When the woman straightened up, her long wavy hair tumbled down the back of her matching plum jacket. Draco licked his lips unconsciously.

“Ah, Mr. Malfoy,” the woman said as she found the file she was looking for and turned around. To Draco’s surprise, he recognized her although he couldn’t recall her name.

“Yes, Mrs…” he prompted.

“It’s Miss Weasley or Doctor Weasley, actually,” she said as she strode up to him and extended her hand. He shook it, his jaw gaping open in a most unbecoming fashion. He quickly closed it upon realization. The Weasley girl smirked at him like she'd been the Slytherin.

“So you’re Weasley’s little sister, eh?” he said, trying to recover.

“Something like that,” she stated, walking gracefully back behind her desk and taking a seat. “So, your mother tells me you need help with women. What seems to be the trouble?” she asked, folding her arms across her desk and giving him a pointed look.

“The thing you have to understand, Doctor Weasley, is that there is my mother’s view of reality, and then there is reality itself. Oftentimes they are not consistent with each other.” Ah, he had regained his composure. He very nearly sighed out his relief. When she said nothing, he kept going. “You’re obviously a well-connected young woman. I am sure you know from the society pages that I do quite well for myself.”

“Yes, it would appear that way but your mother is concerned that none of your relationships last. And, after setting you up with a number of young women she finds perfectly agreeable, she assumes that the problem lies with you, not them.”

Oh, he could tell she was enjoying this too much. He would show her! “Doctor,” he paused. “Are you actually a doctor or is it just a marketing ploy?” he asked, leaning forward in anticipation of her answer. She smirked again and gestured to the framed parchments behind her.

“May I?” he asked, getting up without her approval. He perused, hands in his pockets, the wall of framed certificates. Her Hogwarts Diploma was there, along with one from a prestigious Healing school and another from a Muggle institution. Miss Weasley had a certificate stating top honors in Psychology. “Ah yes, well Doctor it is then,” he said as he returned to his seat.

“So what do you think is the problem, Mr. Malfoy?” she asked politely.

“The thing is doc, I just don’t find anyone that interests me. Yes, the women I have on my arm are attractive and have the right pedigree, but they are lacking in other areas. Aside from physical beauty, and,” he paused and smiled for effect, “physical pleasure, they have no more to offer.”

“I wonder,” Doctor Weasley began, “have you ever dated someone for their intelligence or conversational skills? Perhaps someone with whom you got along but not someone you found attractive at first sight?” Draco stared at her as though he had no idea what she meant.

“Mr. Malfoy, I know you are no fool. I know you competed with Hermione Granger-Weasley for top marks in your year. Perhaps what you need is to meet women that are more… how do I put this? Scholarly.”

“Yes, but there are no attractive women like that,” he scoffed.

“Perhaps you should go out with women who you find intellectually stimulating and the physical aspect will come later,” she suggested.

“So I should find someone I can talk to, even if they aren’t attractive, and maybe I will grow to be physically attracted to them?” he asked incredulously.

“Yes. Does that sound so difficult?”

Draco huffed and rolled his eyes. “The problem with women who have brains like Granger — Weasley… whatever her name is now— is that they are smart to an annoying degree. And on top of that, a completely unattractive witch could never be found attractive!”

“That’s a bit shallow, wouldn’t you say? Don’t you think there might be some middle ground?”

“What? Like you?” he asked, pasting on his signature smirk. At this, the Doctor flushed. “Actually, you’re not married either. You’re what, a year younger than me? You’re obviously smart and successful. You’re not completely unfortunate looking. Why are you still single then? How come you haven’t snagged Potter yet if this is what you are an expert on?”

Her flush grew brighter as her anger rose. “My personal relationship with Mr. Potter is none of your affair. You are paying me to help you, not the other way ‘round.”

“Ah, well I see I’ve struck a nerve. I mean honestly though— has no one ever brought this up? I suppose I would expect an expert to have success in the area which they excel at!”

“I haven’t found the right person yet,” she emphasized. “Just because he hasn’t come along does not mean my advice doesn’t work!”

“Temper, temper, Doctor. I am merely pointing out—“

“Yes, I get what you are so kind to point out. Now, if you don’t mind, I’d like to move the conversation back to you and our next steps in this process.”

Our next steps? Is that a proposal?” He could see it in her eyes with this last comment: she had had enough.

“Mr. Malfoy, our next step is for you to escort me on a faux-date, as you would any other young lady. I will point out to you areas of improvement, which may help your luck with women. I will owl your mother with an itinerary. Good day!” she scoffed as she stood, gesturing for him to leave.

He left with a big grin on his face. He had her just where he wanted her. Spending a bit more time with her couldn’t hurt. He’d have proof for his mother that there was nothing wrong with him, and maybe he’d get shag out of it all. The Doctor was definitely shaggable, Weasley or no.
02. Mating Rituals by Maelyn
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Fistful of Moondust for the beta and Embellished from the Cabal for the extra hints- between the 2 of you, you'll make a decent writer of me yet! ;) Also, thanks to all the reviewers!
02. Mating Rituals

“Draco darling, is that you?” his mother called as soon as he’d Apparated into the Manor. The woman had eyes and ears like a hawk!

“Yes, Mother,” he called in reply, hastily climbing the stairs to his room in attempt to avoid her, but knowing she’d catch him. Sure enough, she met him at the top of the stairs.

“How did it go? What do you think?” she asked, delicately fingering the railing at the top of the stairs.

Draco gave her a pointed look and she just shrugged. “Surely you found something out?”

“Yes, Mother. I found out that the Weasley girl is the Date Doctor and that this whole thing is just ridiculous!” he said dryly as he passed her by.

“But surely she knows what she is doing. She has all those impressive certificates or so I’ve heard. At least someone in the Weasley family was able to do something productive with their lives.” She looked down her nose distastefully as she made her last comment.

“Mother, really! Those awful twins run one of the most successful shops in all of wizard Europe and that idiot Weasel from my class may not be the best Quidditch player but the crowds sure seem to love him. It’s not like the girl is the only one who’s done anything.” His eyes grew wide as he realized he was defending Weasleys to his mother!

Narcissa shrugged, turned her nose up and headed down the stairs. He sighed and trudged the rest of the way to his room.

Draco’s room was actually a series of rooms. He had his own living area, sleeping area and a large bathroom with a separate claw-foot tub and stand-in shower. He also had his own game room where he and his friends spent time playing cards and smoking cigars, drinking, and listening to Quidditch games on the Wizarding Wireless Network.

He threw off his robe and plopped down on the plush sofa, flipping on the wireless to cut through the silence. There wasn’t much news these days, so there wasn’t really anything worth listening to when Quidditch wasn’t being played. He flipped the wireless back off.

He began to pace his room when he was interrupted by a head in his fireplace. “Oy! Draco!” Came a fairly recognizable voice. “What’re you doin’?”

Draco turned to see Blaise Zabini. “Not much Blaise, not much.”

“Where have you been? I’ve been Flooing every so often. Are we on for cards tonight? I’ve got to get away from the Missus!” Draco laughed as Pansy’s hand appeared and swatted Blaise upside the head.

“Yeah, we’re on. Sorry about earlier, I had… an appointment.”

“Ah, I see. See you at seven then?”

“Seven sounds fine. Don’t forget, it’s your turn to bring—”

“Yes, yes, I know—my night for Firewhiskey.” Blaise’s head disappeared from the fireplace and Draco decided a nap was in order before the long night with the boys.

xxx

Later that evening, Draco sat around the card table with Blaise, Crabbe, Goyle, Brendan McAlister, and Roger Davies. He wanted some information on Doctor Weasley. He knew Crabbe had gone to her, and suspected that Goyle and Davies had as well, but he didn’t know how to broach the subject without letting them know his mum had gone to her for him.

“I was in Diagon Alley the other day, visiting a client in that new building near Flourish and Blotts?” He looked around for signs of recognition. He got more than that. A longing sigh emerged from Crabbe and a wistful smile appeared on Davies’ face. “Saw the Weasley girl. She’s apparently got an office there— Doctor or something.”

“Doctor Ginny!” Crabbe volunteered. “She’s great!” A dreamy look glazed his eyes. “She helped me win Eloise. I wish I could… I mean I love Eloise… but Doctor Ginny… she’s …”

“Amazing,” Davies breathed.

“Amazingly unattainable,” Blaise added in. “I needed no help with Pansy once she dropped her membership from the Draco Malfoy fan club,” he gave Draco a pointed look, “but I’ve heard Doctor Ginny is very popular, especially with her male clients. I’ll bet she gets proposals weekly.”

“Why?” Draco asked plainly, knowing the answer.

“Draco, man, did you look at her?” Davies asked unbelievingly.

“She’s attractive enough, yes, but she’s a Weasley for crying out loud!”

“Oh, but she’s so much more!” Crabbe sighed, the dreamy look still hanging in his eyes. “She’s smart and fun to be with. She loves Quidditch and can play really well. She’s the perfect woman.”

“If that’s the case, then why is she still Weasley? Why hasn’t she been swept up by some wizard for a bride?” Draco challenged.

“She’s picky. That’s the word on the street,” Blaise offered. “She spent her youth chasing Harry Potter and once they dated, she dropped him like a bad habit. I guess the man didn’t live up to the legend,” he laughed. “Potter still pines over her, although he’s rumored to be getting engaged soon to that Looney chick.”

Draco stroked his chin, trying to appear interested in his cards and not all this information on Weasley.

“So what… is she your new pursuit?” Blaise asked, carefully looking Draco in the eye.

“She’d like that, no doubt, but I think not. I was just saying I saw her. I guess at least one of the Weasley’s has made something of themselves. She seems to be doing well,” he stated his mother’s argument from before.

“They’re all doing well now, Draco,” Goyle piped in matter-of-factly. “That one is a Quidditch star and whatnot, those twins own that shop and all…”

“Yes, well, I suppose. Anyway, on to better topics: read them and weep, gentleman,” Draco smirked as he laid down his cards. The other men’s smiles faded into frowns as they shoved their money over, admitting defeat.

xxx

A few days later, Narcissa sat waiting for Draco when he came down for breakfast. “You’ve an owl from Doctor Weasley.” She nodded towards an elegant piece of folded parchment that lay beside his plate. He opened it and looked it over.

Mrs. Malfoy,

Please have Mr. Malfoy pick me up on Thursday at noon for a lunch date. This part of the program is how I will rate Draco’s dating skills and offer suggestions for improvement. It helps me to create a more in-depth profile. Once this is done, I will determine the next step. Please have him be prompt, as the clock starts running the minute he arrives.

Thank you,

Dr. Ginevra Weasley


“Why didn’t she address it to me?” Draco scoffed, taking a seat.

“I am the one who contacted her. I suppose she feels obligated to go through me. Perhaps you should suggest to her to communicate with you directly if you don’t wish my further involvement,” she smiled.

Draco rolled his eyes and ate his breakfast. He tried to focus on his newspaper but it was useless.

xxx

Ginny Weasley was examining a file, just as she did before any meeting with any client. She tried telling herself that’s what this was: just another meeting with just another client. His baby soft-looking blonde hair and cool grey eyes— she was not thinking about those.

She also was not thinking about the way his robes, although they hid some people’s figures, did not hide those broad shoulders and trim lines. No, his were specially tailored to accentuate his desirable, masculine form. She accosted herself for that last thought.

This was Draco Malfoy she was thinking about: super git, most eligible basta— er, bachelor in wizarding England, and biggest flirt! He had practically admitted to her that he was a dog. He used women for physical pleasure and arm candy. Ginny began fuming as her thoughts progressed. She would teach him!

xxx

Draco walked briskly down the street toward the office building where he was to pick up Doctor Weasley. Doctor Weasley. Ugh. Just thinking her name made him cringe and scowl. Crabbe and the others had called her ‘Doctor Ginny.’ How come he had not been asked to do so?

He had to admit he was looking forward to seeing those legs and perhaps that arse again, but the mouth that woman had on her! No, not her perfect, pouting, full lips— what came out of them.

Before he knew it, he was outside the door to her office suite. He entered and the secretary once again ignored him, simply giving him a small wave of her hand to tell him to go on back.

The door to Doctor Weasley’s office was closed. As he raised his hand to knock, it opened and she nearly knocked him over. She seemed surprised to see him.

“You’re early,” she stated, eyes wider than normal.

Draco raked his eyes up and down her body. She was wearing a tailored black suit with a ruffle on the skirt. It was very sexy and very flirty. When he met her gaze again, he could see her scowl. She was not pleased that he looked her over.

“I’m always on time for a date,” he remarked coolly. “Shall we?”

“Yes. Let me just get my bag,” she said, retreating into the office. With her back facing him, Draco took the opportunity to appreciate how the skirt of her suit curved perfectly to her backside.

The swing of her hips, the glide of her legs across the floor… yes, he could see how other wizards had been drawn in by her, but he would not be. No. Draco Malfoy would not be taken in by such an innocent-appearing seductress. That woman knew exactly what she was doing.

“Ready?” Her voice shook him from his thoughts.

“Yes. Where to?”

“Somewhere nearby, obviously. That part of it is up to you. Take me to the type of place you might take a woman on a first date for drinks and lunch.”

“We’ll go to the Chateau Marmaude. After you,” he gestured.

The Doctor merely peered incredulously at him through thick lashes. “You would take a woman out to such a fancy lunch on a first date?”

“Well yes, of course. What would be wrong with that?”

“First of all, it’s showing off. Chateau is a great place- one of my personal favorites. But on a first date you’d be with a woman you may or may not like. Why put on all the flash? You’re just setting yourself up for a nagging when, if the relationship progresses, the quality of the restaurants and outings go down.”

“Ah, but here is where you are wrong, Miss… Doctor Weasley.” She scowled and gave him a ‘do tell’ look. “I’ll always go to places like Chateau because I can. I can afford such places. I like such places. I don’t do it to make impressions. I do it because it is what I am accustomed to.”

Her face tightened and Draco knew she knew that he was right. “Yes. Yes, you’re right. You’re terribly spoiled and would always choose such extravagance over reason. Fine then, let’s go.” She stormed out of her office, waiting at the lift without looking at him.

“I see that you don’t agree but this is my choice. It would be my choice if it were a real date. You said to do—“

“I know what I said. I forgot whom I was dealing with. Let’s just get this over with,” she sighed and crossed her arms. Draco shrugged. Here went nothing.
03. Surprises by Maelyn
Author's Notes:
Thanks once again to Fistful of Moondust for the beta! Also, thanks to all the reviewers!
03. Surprises

Once Ginny got over her anger with herself for berating Draco’s choice of restaurant, she found herself enjoying their conversation. Draco, despite his reputation, was a very interesting conversationalist. She laughed at his jokes and sarcasm. She enjoyed his stories of crazy business clients.

It seemed that he was truly enjoying her company as well. Things got heated when politics came up, but that was to be expected. What surprised her most was that Draco did not put down her opinion nor belittle her for her beliefs.

Ginny was having such a good time that she looked down at her watch and realized she’d been gone from the office for nearly three hours! She looked up and she knew Draco saw the shock in her face.

“What is it?” he asked with a note of concern.

“Nothing. I… it’s just that it’s nearly three. I really must be getting back. I am surprised Jane hasn’t paged me.”

“Oh.” Draco appeared shocked as well. “I had no idea. The time has flown so quickly.” He cleared his throat and motioned the waiter for the check.

“If you don’t mind, I am going to head back and write up my assessment. I’ll owl it to you and we can discuss what I feel your next steps should be.”

Draco nodded and stood as Ginny rose from her chair. She felt her face flush at the gentlemanly gesture and she stuck out her hand in an awkward manner. “Thank you, Mr. Malfoy. I’ll be in touch.”

“You’re welcome,” he said as he took her hand in his. He raised it partway to his mouth and bent down the rest of the way, placing a tender kiss on her hand.

Ginny was now blushing furiously and she turned and hurried quickly from the restaurant.

Back in her office, she shut her door and leaned against it for support. She took a deep breath and sighed. Then, she shook her head and chuckled to herself.

“You really can lay it on thick, Mr. Malfoy,” she thought. She put her bag down, took off her jacket and began her assessment of Draco Malfoy’s 'first date' skills.

xxx

Draco had noticed the blush creep into the Doctor’s face. It was all he could do to keep from smiling smugly in front of her. He had made his point. He didn’t need a “date doctor.” He knew what he was doing. She’d send a glowing assessment stating how she wasn’t needed, he’d show his mother, and the whole thing would be over. He whistled as he strolled down the street.

But what if that didn’t happen? What if Doctor Weasley continued with this charade, saying he needed her help? What would he do? He wouldn’t exactly complain about her company. She told great stories and was very pleasant once you got her out of professional mode.

She was very easy on the eyes, especially when he got her to laugh or smile genuinely. He’d told a silly joke and the reaction he’d gotten from her was so lovely, he kept straining to remember more jokes just to see her smile again or hear her laugh.

“Malfoy! Hey!” he heard a familiar voice behind him. He couldn’t quite place it until he turned around. Seamus Finnegan. They hadn’t been the best of friends in school by any means, but when Draco switched sides, Seamus was one of the few Gryffindors whose company he had been able to tolerate at first.

“Finnegan, what’s up?” he asked as the sandy blonde fell in step with him. “Haven’t you got practice or something?” Finnegan was an assistant coach of the Chudley Cannons. Though brilliant at strategy, Finnegan was a horrible player.

“No practice this week. We have a break this weekend. What brings you down to these parts?”

“I had a lunch… date.”

“Oh really? Who with?”

“Well, it was business really. I met Ginny Weasley for lunch at Chateau Marmaude.” Seamus raised an eyebrow.

“Really? Doctor Weasley huh? You doing some business consulting for her?”

Draco thought for a second. “Yes, you could say that.”

“Hm,” was the only answer from the former Gryffindor. They walked in silence for a while. “She’s been coming to some of our games. I’ve been thinking about asking her out. I mean… I know she is picky and highly sought after and whatnot, but it’s been me asking her to our games and she’s come. That’s good right?”

Draco stopped and looked the young man over. He was handsome enough— even Pansy Parkinson had once said so. He also had a great career and had turned a losing team into the best team in the league. “I’d say so. You should go for it.”

“You think?” Finnegan asked.

“What’ve you got to lose? The worst she can say is no.”

“You’re right. So, you said you had lunch with her. I guess she’s back in her office now?”

“I assume that’s where she went. I didn’t walk her back.”

“Alright then, I think I’ll go for it like you said. See you later.” Finnegan gave Draco a rather abrupt, heavy pat on the back and trotted off in the direction of Doctor Weasley’s office.

Draco watched him for a minute or so before turning back on his way. He didn’t care that Finnegan was asking the Doctor out. He was trying to get rid of her really, wasn’t he? He shook his head and decided not to think about such things. He needed to go home and pack for his business trip.

xxx

Back in her office, Ginny was in the midst of her report. Jane’s voice came through on the speaker. “Doctor Weasley, Seamus Finnegan is here to see you.”

“Tell him I will be right with him, please.” She heard the click signaling Jane had heard her and sighed. Seamus had been giving her tickets to his team’s games for a month or so now. He would find his way to her after the games to chat. He would Floo sometimes to chat and see if she had any errands she’d like company on.

Ginny knew what Seamus was getting at. Now, he’d come to ask her out. He was handsome and fun. She’d fancied him for a while at Hogwarts, but had never shown it out of respect for Dean Thomas. Dean and Seamus were good friends and while Dean wasn’t hung up on Ginny, he hadn’t been exactly nice while she was with Harry. She hadn’t wanted to come between friends.

She rose from her desk, opened the door, and walked down the hall to the waiting room to find Seamus nervously pacing it. “Seamus, good to see you!” She smiled. “Come on back to my office.”

“Hey Gin. You look great!” he remarked as he followed her to her office. She remained silent and waited until he was in her office. She shut the door and walked around her desk to sit down.

“So Seamus, what brings you by?” she asked, full well knowing the answer.

“Ginny,” he leaned forward in his chair, “ I’d like to take you out to dinner.”

Before she knew it, her mouth was open and she was accepting. She knew he would think of it as a date, and she knew she wouldn’t feel the same. However, something in her said she should go out with him and get over the nice afternoon she’d had with Draco Malfoy. She needed to go on a date with Seamus to remind herself what kind of man she wanted. Draco Malfoy was most certainly not that man.

“Great!” Seamus was grinning ear to ear. “How about Friday? I can drop by the office and walk you to dinner and then we can have some drinks and dessert somewhere.”

“Sounds fabulous.” She smiled, hoping she sounded sincere.

“So it’s a date. I’ll see you Friday!” Seamus said as he rose from the chair. She rose to see him out. However, he came around her desk and drew her into an embrace. He kissed her cheek and she stood there stunned, watching him walk out.

She slumped down into her chair and dropped her head into her hands. What am I getting myself into? She wondered.

xxx

Draco received an owl from Doctor Weasley when he returned to town on Friday. This time it was addressed to him, not his mother. He was pleased about this. However, he was surprised to find the Doctor did actually have suggestions for him and had requested he owl back with a day and time for an appointment and come in the following week.

“What on Earth…?” he wondered aloud. He tossed the parchment aside and focused on changing out of his work clothes and into his card playing attire. He and the blokes were meeting for dinner and then playing cards in the back room of a popular, but not upscale, restaurant.

He hurried quickly back out, hoping to avoid his mother. He managed to do so and Apparated. He then began walking the familiar path to Roussell’s Bar and Grill. He entered and immediately found his raucous friends and took a seat.

A bit later on, when some of the boys headed to the bar before retreating to the back room for cards, Draco remained at the table sipping his wine. He glanced around and did a double take when he saw a flash of red hair. His eyes widened when he recognized Doctor Weasley herself on the arm of Seamus Finnegan.

They were walking through the restaurant on their way out. Her hand was tucked into his arm and she was laughing as he escorted her out of the restaurant. She was wearing a flirty, deep blue dress and she looked more gorgeous and elegant than ever.

Before Draco knew what had happened, he had squeezed his wine glass so hard it broke and shards of glass had cut into his hand. He hissed in pain and dropped the broken glass while shooting up, grabbing a napkin, and covering his bleeding hand.

Several people around him gasped and this attracted a lot of attention. He looked up and into the concerned brown eyes of Ginny Weasley.

“Mr. Malfoy! Here, let me help you. I do have a bit of medical training: first aid and all that,” she said almost shyly.

Draco merely watched, trying not to let his mouth gape open, as she pulled out her wand and took his hand in hers. She silently performed a few spells and the pain and the cuts were gone and mended.

“Thank you, Doctor Weasley.”

“You should be more careful with your wine, Mr. Malfoy. Good evening.” She smiled and turned back to Finnegan, who looked back at Draco and gave him the thumbs up sign. Draco gave a quick nod of his head and hurried quickly to the back room, hoping to avoid further embarrassment.

xxx

That night, Seamus tried to kiss Ginny, but she turned her head and his kiss landed on her cheek. She feigned innocence and bid him goodnight. Once inside, she fell onto her couch and silently berated herself.

She’d had a nice time with Seamus, but something was missing. He was handsome, funny, and polite, but that spark just wasn’t there. That spark was never there. She only felt it when— wait, she’d never felt it.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that, Doc.
04. Feeling by Maelyn
Author's Notes:
Once again, thanks to the beautiful and talented Fistful of Moondust for the beta!
04. Feeling

Ginny sat behind her desk feeling rather smug. She knew that after their lunch together, Draco most likely thought he would get a letter saying he didn’t need her services. Well, he thought wrong.

True, she had been surprised at how pleasant a time she’d had. What this told her was that while Draco certainly appeared to be a womanizing, arrogant, self-serving prick, he was actually capable of capturing the attention of women with more substance than he’d been dating. Thus, Ginny was now ready to observe how he chose the women he dated.

Her secretary, Jane, buzzed her to let her know he had arrived. She knew he would not be thrilled with her suggestions for him, but she was doing what Narcissa Malfoy was paying her to do. She rose from her desk, straightened her blouse and skirt, and headed for the waiting room.

“Mr. Malfoy, come on back.” She smiled as she gestured for him to follow her back to her office.

“Doctor,” he greeted somewhat coldly.

“How’s the hand?” she smirked, though he was behind her and could not see it.

“Fine, thanks. I do so appreciate you coming to my rescue the other night,” he replied sarcastically.

She said nothing else until they were both seated in her office. “I’m going to get straight to the point, Mr. Malfoy.”

“Please do.”

“I can tell by your tone you are not happy to be here. However, I have some ideas for you. Not criticism, either. In fact, I really enjoyed the lunch I had with you.”

Draco’s stiff features relaxed somewhat. “Continue,” he prompted.

“I have a suspicion that you’ve never had a long conversation on a date, not like the one we had.”

Draco nodded his head. “Actually, I mostly listen to the witch drone on about the new fashions or the latest gossip.”

“Naturally, you never have much to contribute to that kind of conversation?”

“Well, I know fashion and my mother keeps me up to date on all the gossip, but I can’t quite say it is something I enjoy. I always let them tatter on about this and that. I get my enjoyment later.” He shot her a grin.

“Yes, well,” she started as she refrained from rolling her eyes. “I feel, as I said before, that it is the type of women you date. You must get bored with the same insipid, one-sided conversations. I think you have a lot to offer a witch with more… social-consciousness and intellect.”

“Do you really?” he said dryly.

“Yes. Is that so hard to believe?”

“Not in the least. I just don’t see why I had to come all the way back here for you to tell me this.”

“I like to discuss these things in person rather than by Floo or Owl. I am trained to gauge reactions, both verbal and nonverbal.”

“Alright, then. So what now?”

“I’d like us to go out and we’ll see how your choice of witch for yourself differs from the type I think you would get on well with.”

She noticed Draco roll his eyes and sigh.

“What?” she asked.

“Is it really necessary? You know what type of witch I’ll choose and I’m pretty sure what you would choose wouldn’t interest me.”

Ginny shrugged. “It’s your mother’s money. Waste it if you want.”

Draco sighed loudly again and appeared exasperated. “Fine. Tell me when and where.”

xxx

They decided on drinks at a popular after work pub to people-watch. Ginny didn’t particularly approve of meeting witches and wizards in pubs, but it always proved to be a good starting point. Draco could point out a witch he found attractive. Ginny would observe the witch and perhaps send him to talk to her or someone she found more suitable.

Once she felt comfortable with his initial communication with women, then perhaps they’d move to a museum or opera on another occasion; somewhere Draco was sure to meet someone with class, brains, and average looks.

“Doctor!” called Jane from the front desk.

“Yes Jane?” she answered back through the speaker

“Mr. Malfoy is here.”

“I’ll be right out.” Ginny stood slowly and grabbed her jacket. She wore a smart looking blue suit. It was sleek and really sort of sexy, if she did say so herself. She, of course, wasn’t dressing up for anyone. She dressed nice everyday. It was her reward for her hard work and not being able to afford nice clothes when she was young. And while she didn’t begrudge her family anything, she did enjoy the lifestyle she was now able to lead.

She strode down the hall, clutch purse under her arm.

xxx

“Good evening, Mr. Malfoy,” the Doctor greeted as she flashed him a gorgeous smile. It was impossible not to return such a smile.

“Good evening. Shall we?” He held out his arm, ever the gentleman. She nodded and took it. They strolled through Diagon Alley to the pub and worked their way through the after-hours crowd. They found two stools at the bar and ordered drinks.

“So Doctor, how do you suggest we start this little idea of yours?” Draco asked, nearly raising his voice so she could hear him over the crowd.

“Well, I’ve never been here when it’s been this crowded!” she practically shouted back.

Draco ducked his head close to her ear. “I’m actually rather hungry. What do you say we finish this one drink and head somewhere else?”

He could tell she was surprised, but she nodded her agreement and sipped her drink quietly. Draco studied her. She really was gorgeous. She was obviously very smart. She was quick-witted. He wasn’t dumb; he could see what all the other men saw in her. He realized he was seeing past her name and who she was, but he wondered if she could do the same for him.

“After dinner, perhaps we can find a quieter pub to people watch and you can see how I choose the women I… date.”

She agreed.

“So, Doctor, how did you get into this business?”

She appeared to think about his question for a while before answering. He tried his hardest not to appear impatient.

“What you’ve seen is not the only thing I do. I also counsel couples and young teens. I spend one day every other week doing counseling at Hogwarts. But I suppose you want to know about this ‘Date Doctor’ thing. It’s odd really. Did you know that Neville Longbottom married Lavender Brown?”

Draco shrugged. He knew about that particular couple, he just didn’t care.

“He was totally besotted with her all throughout their seventh year. She wouldn’t even look at him! I helped him out a bit and two years later, they had their first date. They were married within a year. It took a long time merely because I was behind them a year in school and lost touch with them during my seventh year.”

“So that’s it? You hook up one wizard with a witch he’d have never gotten on his own and you decide, ‘hey I’ll do this for a living’?” he replied snottily.

She frowned. “Well no. There was more to it than that, obviously. But that was the catalyst.

“I was curious about men and women and what attracted people to each other. I began to study relationships of people I knew. I took courses on interpersonal and intimate relationships. I found out through doing some reading that the ‘date doctor’ idea was a relatively old concept. It took many different forms in the ancient times, but all in all, the basic idea is the same.”

“So, how do you take hopeless blokes like Longbottom and get them married up?”

The Doctor pursed her lips. “Neville’s not hopeless. He’s a successful Herbologist with many published works on the subject. He’s considered one of the top minds in his field. And, once you get to know him, he’s fun, caring, and has a lot to offer a woman.”

“Why didn’t you just take him then? He liked you once, didn’t he? He took you to that Yule Ball my fourth year.”

“How did you know that?”

“I’m not blind. I was amazed he had a date and that she wasn’t fat and completely ugly.”

She sighed in exasperation. “He didn’t even really need me to help him. He had it in him all the time. I just helped him find it.”

“Find what?”

“Find IT! You know, his niche… with women. Some men have it naturally while some need help finding it. Once Neville discovered his gift with women, Lavender had serious competition. But he only had eyes for her.” She smiled that smile that nearly made Draco forget his own name.

“So that is it? You help one lost puppy find love and you decide this is what you want to do with your life?” he asked rather harshly.

If she took offense at his attitude, she didn’t show it. Instead, she looked almost sad. “As I’ve said already there was more to it than that. I had my own… reasons.”

Draco decided not to push it any farther. Something about that look told him that getting her to tell him about whatever else it was… that was not a place he wanted her to go. He wanted the evening to remain pleasant.

xxx

And remain pleasant it did. Once again, he found himself drawn into conversation with Doctor Weasley and all sense of time and place disappeared. Before he knew it, the restaurant was clearing out and he was getting signals from the wait staff that they would like to clear the table at which they sat.

“Doctor, I’m afraid we’ve lost track of time once again,” he said apologetically as he rose and made to pull out her chair to help her from her seat. She glanced towards the clock over the mantle by the bar and laughed.

“You’re just really trying to get out of this aren’t you?”

“Get out of this?” he repeated, confused.

“Yes! You’re pouring on the charm and trying to coerce me into telling your mother that you are not doing anything wrong with women. You merely haven’t found the right one.”

“It’s the truth— why shouldn’t you tell her so?” he smirked as he followed her out of the restaurant.

“We’re going to get this done, Mr. Malfoy. I am going to counsel you yet and we’re going to find a nice, intelligent woman for you.” She smiled as she shook his hand to say goodnight. She looked surprised when he did not immediately let go as she turned around. “Goodnight, Mr. Malfoy. I am just up the road.”

“I’ll see you to your door. It is dark and you never know.” She blushed and he gently dropped her hand. He gestured for her to lead the way.

The walk to her flat was slow and quiet. At her door, she bid him goodnight and put the key into the keyhole. He reached out and stopped her hand from turning the key.

“Doctor, I’d like to show you something. Had this been a real date in which I had a nice time, such as I did tonight, I would now lean in and,” he began while he leaned his face down towards hers. Her eyes were wide and fixed on his mouth. He heard her breath hitch in her throat and saw her eyes flutter shut. He moved in closer. “And give her a gentle kiss,” he whispered in her ear and pulled away.

Her eyes flew open as he broke contact with her. “But, this isn’t a real date. Goodnight, Doctor Weasley.” He said as he tipped his head and with a crack Disapparated.
05. Trapped by Maelyn
Author's Notes:
I'd like to thank the lovely Fistful_of_Moondust for a great (and swift) beta job!
05. Trapped

Ginny hurried inside and quickly shut the door behind her. Her heart was racing. She leaned against the door for support and slid down to the floor. Draco Malfoy was only toying with her and she knew it! But, it was working. She couldn’t deny she was physically attracted to him, and judging by the conversations they’d had, she was mentally attracted to him as well: Draco Malfoy was quite smart when he wanted to be.

“But it’s all an act!” she scolded as she tried to collect herself and get up off the ground. She was still flushed and angry, but she rose from the floor and headed off to bed.

xxx

As soon as he was inside his room, Draco grabbed the nearest piece of furniture for support. Sweet gods above! Being that close to the Doctor and not kissing her… it was torture! She smelled so good and he had seen and heard her response to his actions. She had been preparing for him to kiss her. It was what he had wanted, of course. Wait! No, it wasn’t!

He couldn’t get the sight of her parted, plump lips and closed eyes out of his brain. “Quit thinking with your dick, mate,” he fussed. “I don’t really like her. Of course I don’t! It’s all part of the plan. Schmooze her, charm her then get her to let me off the hook!” He nodded in agreement with himself. “She just happens to be very attractive. So what if I’d snog her silly and shag her in an instant?”

Since when did he actually have a plan for this? He didn’t know, but now he had to have one. He had to get out of this before the Doctor drove him crazy with lust. And that was all it was, right? Sure, he forgot about her body and gorgeous face when he was deep in conversation with her, actually focusing on who she was and what she was saying, but that didn’t mean anything, did it?

“Draco!” The voice startled him out of his inner battle. “Mate, where have you been?”

He turned to the head in the fireplace. “Blaise, how kind of you to Floo. Can I help you?” he asked flatly.

“Pansy’s just told me some interesting news,” Blaise drawled. Draco arched an eyebrow. “It would seem that you and Dr. Weasley are the talk of the town. You were seen enjoying a nice, quiet, romantic dinner at a cozy restaurant by two of the biggest gossips ever. Naturally, they called Pansy first.”

Draco rolled his eyes and flopped ungracefully down on his sofa. “It’s all part of a plan. I’ve got to get her to see I don’t need her services… her professional ones anyway. Would being a complete and total jerk accomplish that goal? No. So, I must charm her. That’s all it is.”

“Pansy heard that you smiled and laughed.”

“I smile and laugh quite frequently on dates.”

“Yes, but normally you laugh at the poor girl, not with her. Pansy was told this was different.”

“Tell Pansy to shove it up her nosy white—“

“Draco!” called a shrill voice as another head slipped into the fireplace beside Blaise. “Don’t you dare say it! I have all of this information on good authority. I was actually happy for you! It’s past time you settled down and quit acting the perpetual bachelor! If that girl makes you happy, then go for it!”

“Yes Pansy, whatever you say. I’m tired you two. Goodnight,” he said and extinguished the two heads from his fireplace.

xxx

Ginny decided not to contact Draco for a few days. She needed to make him think she had forgotten about their last encounter and she needed to try and actually forget it. But, try as she may, she could not. For all the bad things she associated with him, Draco Malfoy was still attractive; too attractive to her. Also, she’d heard the rumors. No doubt a Patil twin and Lavender Brown had been somewhere in the vicinity. She’d already scolded herself for not being more careful.

She had seen Seamus twice since her date with Draco to try and convince herself that she was attracted to nice guys who had good looks who maybe just lacked a bit in other areas. She’d finally let Seamus kiss her, but it hardly lived up to any expectations she had. It was sweet and nice, but it lacked the passion she was looking for. She had a feeling she knew where she’d find that passion and she kept scolding herself for the thought.

“Doctor,” called Jane through the Wizardcom.

“Yes,” she replied.

“You have a visitor.”

“I’m not expecting anyone, Jane. Who is it?”

Jane hesitated and then answered. “Mr. Malfoy.”

Ginny inhaled sharply.

“Should I tell him to—”

“No, I’ll be there shortly. Thank you, Jane.” Ginny had to force herself not to slam her head down onto her desk. She checked her face and hair in the mirror she kept in a desk drawer and stood, smoothing her skirt. It had been nearly a week since she’d seen him.

She collected herself and strode purposefully down the hallway to her waiting room. Draco Malfoy stood at Jane’s desk, trying to engage her in conversation and failing.

“Mr. Malfoy, I wasn’t expecting you.”

He turned to her and smirked. “I know. I thought we should talk.”

“Come on then,” she gestured for him to follow her. Once in her office, she sat behind her desk and he remained standing.

“What’s with your secretary?”

“You’re not her type. Sorry,” Ginny nearly snarled.

“What is her type?”

“Let’s put it this way, shall we? She’d be more likely to go for me than you, understand?” She saw the surprise register in Draco’s eyes.

“Really? I’d never have guessed.”

“Yes, well surely Jane isn’t what you are here to talk about?”

“No, not at all. Actually, I need your help.”

Ginny tried to hide her look of surprise. “Help? I thought you couldn’t wait to—”

“I’ve realized what an asset your services are. I’ve a business client I’m trying to … well, at any rate she’s a very intellectual woman and she’s the type of woman you’ve been saying I should go for. So, help me get her.”

She was shocked, to say the least, but tried not to show it. Then, her common sense crept in. “Mr. Malfoy, I’m not going to help you woo some woman so you can get her business and drop her like a bad habit. You can just forget it!”

“It’s not like that,” he said as he sat across from her. “She’s… different. I think it could actually work. I’ve done a lot of thinking since the other night and, well, I feel that you are right and that I should change my ways.”

Ginny’s jaw dropped momentarily and then she threw her head back and laughed. “Oh, you are good, Mr. Malfoy! You are really, really good!”

Draco raised an eyebrow and cocked his head.

“Look, if you want out of this that bad, I’ll Owl your mum with a stellar review of everything that is you, Draco Malfoy, her son. She’ll drop this thing and you’ll be free, alright?”

She watched as Draco stood there with an odd expression on his face, not talking.

xxx

Draco opened his mouth to protest and then paused, thinking. His goal had been to get her to say she would help. Then, he’d find out how to woo her and do so without her knowing.

He had thought long and hard about it. He’d gone out with one or two of his perpetual … dates. He’d found that he couldn’t even make it to the fun part. Half-way through each dinner, he’d had to make excuses and get out quickly. He’d lain in bed tossing and turning thinking only of red hair, long legs, and big brown eyes.

“Dra… er, Mr. Malfoy, is there a problem?” He was shaken from his thoughts by her voice. She had stopped laughing and was giving him a look of concern.

“No. I’d like you to Owl Mum, just like you said. I just don’t have the time for this anymore.” He felt his eyes would betray him and so he moved to her window and looked out on the street below.

“Actually doing work are you?” she asked snidely.

“Yes. I find it quite rewarding. I really should be going. Thank you, Doctor Weasley,” he said as he went to the door.

“For what?”

“Your time. You are good at what you do. The best of luck to you; good day,” he said shortly.

Draco left abruptly and heard the Doctor sputter something like ‘you’re welcome,’ but he was quickly gone.

xxx

Ginny swiveled around in her chair at her desk, thoroughly confused. Draco Malfoy had come in here without an appointment, asked for her help, and then left abruptly seeming rather upset.

Ginny spun around a few more times and then stopped, checking her desk calendar. She punched the button on her Wizardcom, “Jane, I’m done for the day. I need to get out of here.”

“Yes, Doctor. Anything you need done while you are out?”

Ginny thought about Jane’s question. “No. Come to think of it, take the rest of the day off yourself.”

Ginny clicked off without waiting for an answer or thanks. She gathered her things and fled her office through a back door. She spent the rest of the afternoon shopping and sipping coffee at her favorite coffee house.

However, her relaxing afternoon turned sour when she opened the latest copy of Witch Life magazine and plastered on the front of the gossip section was a picture of her laughing with Draco Malfoy at the restaurant they’d last been to.

She spit her coffee across the paper and the table in the most unladylike gesture. She was startled to hear a voice behind her.

“My goodness, Doctor.”

Ginny turned and shot up from her seat. She grabbed a napkin to wipe the coffee dripping from her mouth and chin. She knew Narcissa Malfoy when she saw her. “Mrs. Malfoy! Forgive me; I just had a shock, is all.”

“Yes, as was I when my advance copy was delivered. I went by your office, but it was closed. I happened to see you come over here from O’Claires and wanted to talk to you.”

“Yes ma’am, certainly. How can I help you?”

Narcissa gave her a pointed look.

“Oh, excuse me! Won’t you sit down?” Ginny stuttered as she gestured to the empty seat across from her.

Narcissa gracefully took the seat. “I’ve noticed some differences in Draco. I think what you have been doing has been working.”

“Ah, yes. Well, actually I was going to Owl you. You see—”

“I know. He’s charmed you. He’s convinced you he doesn’t need your services.” She gestured to the picture in the magazine, which still lay open on the table.

“Yes, actually.”

Narcissa simply looked her over. “If you say so, I suppose it is so.”

Ginny fought hard to keep her jaw from dropping open. She’d been unladylike enough as it was.

“It’s just as well, I suppose. At any rate, I’ll be Owling you an invitation to my annual charity ball.”

Ginny gasped. She’d heard of Narcissa Malfoy’s famed charity events – and the ball was the highlight of the season! “Oh!”

“I take that to mean you’ll be accepting my invitation?”

“Oh yes, ma’am! Thank you so much!” Ginny was nearly trembling with excitement.

“You’re welcome. I look forward to seeing you there. Good day, Doctor Weasley.” With that, Narcissa rose and exited the café.

Ginny had no idea what had just happened, nor why, but, she didn’t care. She had all the more excuse to do some shopping and even though the ball was nearly a month away, it might take that long to secure the perfect dress and robes.

xxx

Outside the café, Narcissa Malfoy smiled to herself. She had a plan and was setting it into motion. Draco was a fool to believe she’d just take the Doctor’s word. The Doctor was also a fool if she didn’t see what Narcissa did. “I always do have to take things into my own hands, Tippy,” Narcissa said as she waited for Tippy the house elf to give her the sun spectacles.
06. The Ball by Maelyn
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the long wait....
Thanks to Emily (fistful of moondust) for a great beta- she got it to me like 2 weeks ago and I am just now putting it up. YIKES!
06. The Ball

Ginny hadn’t seen or heard from Draco Malfoy in weeks.

Her invitation to the ball had arrived two weeks ago, with a special note written by Narcissa Malfoy herself. The note stated that Ginny needn’t bring a date as there would be several charming young men from good families and Narcissa herself would see to it that Ginny was properly introduced.

‘Although I shudder to think what type of men they really are,’ Ginny thought smugly. No doubt they would be friends of Draco.

Ginny had chosen a lovely shade of periwinkle blue silk for her gown, which was strapless and fitted. Her cloak was made of the same material. She was having her hair professionally charmed into a glamorous up-do and her make-up applied at an upscale witch’s beauty salon.

She wanted to look as wonderful as possible. She wanted to shine. She kept telling herself it had nothing to do with that fact that Draco Malfoy would be there and would no doubt have some tart on his arm. It didn’t matter that he might have managed to woo this ‘intelligent’ woman he had told Ginny about before he left her office that last time.

“Gin! You look marvelous! Where are you going?” Hermione Granger-Weasley called from the fireplace.

Ginny turned to face her sister-in-law and smiled. “It’s the ball, remember? Narcissa Malfoy’s charity ball benefiting… oh…benefiting St. Coco’s Orphanage for Children of Wizards and Witches,” she said as she Accioed the invitation.

“Oh yes, that’s right! Well, you’ll be the most gorgeous witch there, certainly!”

“Thanks Hermione. What’s up?”

“Oh, I had some news, but I forgot you were going out so I’ll tell you later.”

“Are you sure?” Ginny could have seen the glow in Hermione’s face kilometers away.

“Well, I did want you to the be the first to know.”

“Yes?” Ginny grinned, knowing what must be coming next.

“I’m finally pregnant! I am ten weeks along, so we figure it is safe to begin telling everyone. You’re the first to know so don’t mention it to anyone else. We’ll be telling everyone over the next week.”

“Hermione, that’s wonderful news! I am so happy— I can’t even tell you!”

“I knew you would be. You’ve been such a good source of support and friendship for me during all this. I was starting to think it would never happen, but we did it! We’re having a baby!”

“Oh, that really is the best news! I want to come celebrate! Forget the ruddy ball!”

“No, no! You should go!” Hermione argued playfully. “You’ll have a good time and I want to hear all the details about all the wizards who drool and fawn over you. You really do look amazing, not that you don’t always but… that dress… it looks like it was made specifically for you!”

“Truth be told, it was. I had a tailor to make it and the cloak. I just wanted something different. I knew every witch there would have some famous designer’s gown and robes and I wanted something all my own.”

“Well you go get ‘em! I expect to see you all over the society pages in the paper on Monday!”

Ginny laughed. “Yes and this time let’s hope it’s not suggesting some non-existent relationship with Draco Malfoy!”

Hermione laughed in return and bid her goodnight. Then Ginny left her flat and headed to her designated Apparition point for Malfoy Manor.

xxx

Draco wandered aimlessly around his mother’s party with a champagne glass in hand and smug smile on his face. His mother had forbid him to bring some tart of a date, claiming this was a respectable charity ball and she didn’t want the bad publicity it might incite.

So, he had made it his goal to watch the arrivals and find some sort of suitable replacement entertainment. Actually, He didn’t mind not having one of his usual girls there. He had, in the past few weeks, grown tired of their mindless chatter. He hadn’t gotten laid since before he’d met the Doctor and though it drove him insane, he found he just couldn’t connect with a woman on the level he desired, thus he found himself unable to bed anyone he might have taken out.

He glanced up at the top of the steps where everyone was announced as they arrived. He spotted her before she was announced— a vision in blue with golden red hair cascading in waves over her cloak. As the doorman took her cloak, she smiled down on the room and Draco knew he’d never seen a more beautiful woman.

“Doctor Ginevra Weasley,” was announced. He strode immediately and purposefully to the bottom of the steps. As she descended, she spotted him and actually gave him a small smile as she cocked her head.

“Good evening,” he greeted as she approached. He extended his elbow, meaning to escort her through the ballroom. She merely looked at him.

“Good evening, Mr. Malfoy.”

“Where is your escort this evening, Doctor?”

“Your mother told me she would see to it that I was introduced around tonight.”

Draco tried to hide his surprise. “Oh. Shall I escort you to her, then?”

Ginny nodded, cautiously taking his arm.

Having her so close, he could smell the sweet perfume that clung to her. He wanted to close his eyes and bury his face in her neck and breathe it all in. Instead, he leaned in close to her ear before they began to cross the room and told her in a low, husky voice, “You look absolutely gorgeous.”

He watched a blush creep up her neck and into her cheeks. “Thank you. You clean up well yourself,” she whispered back. “Not that you aren’t always impeccably dressed.”

Draco smirked and pulled her with him across the floor. He looked around for his mother, but she was nowhere to be found. The band was striking up another song, so he pulled the Doctor in close to him and began to lead her in a dance.

“Why yes, Mr. Malfoy, I’ll dance with you. Thank you for asking,” Ginny chided.

“I knew there was no need in asking.” He smirked back. “By the way, I’d like for you to call me Draco.”

“What if I’d rather not?”

“Suit yourself. I think though, that given our present circumstances and the fact that my mother is no longer employing you, I will call you Ginevra.”

If she was shocked at his statement, she hid it well. “Then I may as well call you Draco.” She smiled, rather nicely he thought. He returned it. He looked away from her, around the dance floor and noticed Blaise and Pansy looking his way and whispering to each other as they danced. He gave them a look and rolled his eyes.

It seemed his mother had set Ginevra and him up. Neither one of them had brought a date— they’d both been requested not to, although his mother must have told Ginevra there would be plenty of delightful young men lined up for her. But now, his mother was nowhere to be found. Yes, this had ‘Narcissa’s scheming’ written all over it.

There was no more talking as they danced and Draco discovered that Ginevra was quite the graceful dancer. He supposed he shouldn’t be surprised. She carried herself well and was an educated professional, after all. When the song ended, Ginevra stepped away from him and looked around.

“Thank you, Draco. I suppose your date is looking for you,” she said almost shyly.

“I’m alone tonight.” He saw the slight widening of her eyes.

“Oh. Is that right? Well, what about the young woman you told me about last time we—”

“Oh she’s here. Don’t worry about that,” he said, giving her a rather pointed look. Her face now turned to confusion and she looked about.

“You should point her out. I’ll give you my opinion.”

“As much as I’d love to have you do that, it’s not necessary. Come, would you like a drink?” Draco asked. He had passed his glass of champagne to a waiter when he’d begun to dance and was now in need of more liquid courage. Since he’d figured out his mother’s obvious plan, he might as well go along with it. He did want Ginevra after all. Well, he wanted a chance with her. The thought had occurred to him that should they ever actually date, they might kill each other as soon as anything else.

Ginevra nodded and he placed his hand on the small of her back, guiding her through the crowd of dancers. He grabbed two glasses and an unopened champagne bottle and continued to lead her through the room. He pushed open the French doors leading to the patio overlooking the garden.

“Come, it’s nice out. Let’s have some fresh air with our drinks.”

She looked a bit confused but continued to follow him. He led her down the steps from the patio into the garden where he found a secluded yet nicely lit portion of his mum’s Rose garden. He placed the glasses on a nearby bench and proceeded to pop the top off of the champagne. He poured them each a partial glass.

“To what should we toast?”

“I always toast to World Peace,” Ginevra remarked, shrugging.

“Oh that’s so tired, don’t you think? I know,” he began as he stepped closer to her, causing her to back up ever so slightly. He moved closer still. “We ought to toast to us.” He lifted his glass and clinked it with hers, taking a sip of the champagne.

He could see the hitch in her throat as she took in his words. “To… to us?” she questioned quietly. He looked intently down from her eyes to her lips, then back up again.

“Yes Ginevra, to us. I have a confession to make.”

When she said nothing, he continued, “When I came to your office that day, the woman I told you about… is actually you.”

He watched as her mouth dropped open. “But I… I’m not a client of....”

“Yes well, I told a bit of a lie there, didn’t I? My plan was to find out how to court a woman such as yourself and then use what I’d learned to court you. However, your disinterest was rather blatant, or so I thought. However, now I wonder…” he took her glass and Leviosaed them both back to the bench, watching her the entire time. Then, delicately placing his arms around her waist, he pulled her close to him and bent down.

xxx

Ginny felt the flutter in her chest and the surge of excitement in her head. He was going to actually kiss her this time. And he’d just confessed that he fancied her… in a roundabout way, hadn’t he? Oh what the heck? She let her eyes drift shut and parted her lips slightly as his descended.

She sighed into his mouth as he kissed her gently. Her sigh must have encouraged him, because he deepened the kiss and she responded, wrapping her arms around his neck and encouraging him to pull her more tightly to him. She was lost in the sensation of her tongue mingling with his and soft caress of his lips around hers.

When he let her go for a bit of air, he kissed her forehead and then rested his against hers. “That was more than I ever imagined it would be,” he breathed.

“You’ve imagined… kissing me?” she nearly stuttered but managed to retain her composure.

“Of course. And now that I have, I can’t imagine kissing anyone else. You’ve thought about it too, Ginevra, haven’t you?” Draco didn’t even bother to hide his small smirk.

A deep blush crept up her neck into her face. All she could do was nod and smile sheepishly.

“Then, tell me, did I do your imagination justice?”

Again, she could only nod. He smiled— an actual, genuine smile— and kissed her forehead.

“Ginevra, I know you think you know me. You think you know all about a man like me. But I’ve never known a woman like you and I’d like to be given the chance to get to know you. I’m not promising you a fairytale, but I can promise you that I will give you what I have to give. It may or may not work out, but I believe it is a chance worth taking. I couldn’t move forward with anyone else until I see how things could be with you.”

His words were so sincere and so tender she nearly melted. She had prejudged him and even after she’d gotten to know him somewhat, still held her own opinions. He deserved a fair chance and she couldn’t fight the physical attraction to him. She already knew more about him emotionally and mentally than she’d thought possible. She wanted to be happy. Why not give him the chance to make her happy and let herself make him happy in return? He was right, after all. She’d fantasized about him more than she’d ever admit and it would be hard to move forward without ever knowing.

“So, where do we go from here then?” She smiled and placed a gentle kiss to his jaw.

He grabbed her and picked her up, swinging her in a circle as he embraced her. “Well first of all, we go and find my darling mother and tell her that her plan worked.”

When he put her down, Ginny gave him a confused look.

“Don’t tell me you didn’t see straight through that plot of hers? Ginevra, you’re the professional here. She set us up. She told you not to bring anyone claiming she’d introduce you around, yet she is nowhere to be found? She requested that I not bring a date? I’m starting to suspect she is behind a rather incriminating picture surfacing in that Witch Life rag a week or so back.”

Ginny dropped her jaw, shocked that she hadn’t seen it sooner. “When do you think she—”

“Who knows? It may have been her plan all along. She’ll never confess all the details. Come Ginny, let’s tell her and then you are dancing with me until I get tired.”

“Oh really?” Ginny laughed. “What if I tire of dancing before you?”

“Then,” he began with a smile as he took her hand to lead her inside, “I’ll carry you around the dance floor.”
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=4490