Christmas Stories by StrangerWithMyFace
Past Featured StorySummary: A collection of stories written by me for the DracoGinnyFanFic's "Ficmas" over the years.
Categories: Completed Short Stories Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 13758 Read: 16790 Published: Aug 27, 2006 Updated: Aug 27, 2006

1. The Perfect Gift (2001) by StrangerWithMyFace

2. Ho, Ho, Ho, the Mistletoe, or Who You Callin' A Ho? (2001) by StrangerWithMyFace

3. The Winter of Our Discontent (2002) by StrangerWithMyFace

4. The Love that Conquered Darkness (2004) by StrangerWithMyFace

5. A Christmas Visitor (2005) by StrangerWithMyFace

The Perfect Gift (2001) by StrangerWithMyFace
Author's Notes:
This was for DracoGinnyFanfic's very first Ficmas in 2001. In this story, Draco tries to find a present for his new girlfriend, Ginny.

Draco Malfoy hated Christmas. He could often be seen stalking down the hallway, where a gaggle of Hufflepuff first years were singing Christmas carols, snapping at them, or throwing things so that they cried. It was, in fact, the highlight of his day. “Bah humbug!” he’d chuckle to Crabbe and Goyle as they walked away. They’d look back at him with vacant stares since they had never picked up a book unless they wanted to kill a bug with it.



To be fair, it wasn’t the holiday itself that Draco hated. Who could find fault in getting a lot of expensive presents for no good reason? It was just that everyone used “Christmas” as an excuse to be exceptionally irritating. They seemed to think that he should become a right, jolly old wizard merely because it was nearing December 25th. Well, Draco was sorry but he wasn’t about to go bursting into song unless something really spectacular happened. Like if Harry Potter had a hippogriff dropped on him. He’d sing then. Heck, he’d write a musical comedy about it.



Ginny Weasley, on the other hand, rather enjoyed Christmas. She loved everything about it: the snow, the presents, the decorations, the mistletoe, the fact that her twin brothers went around singing “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.” Ginny had taken to wearing a red, Santa’s hat instead of her usual witch’s hat around Hogwarts. Except in Potions, when Professor Snape made her take off “that ridiculous hat.” But not even Professor Snape could spoil her cheery mood. Christmas was simply her favorite time of year. And even though she couldn’t look forward to lots of presents, like Draco could, she couldn’t wait for Christmas morning.



This was a tiny bit of a problem, since the odd couple were... involved. Neither was sure how it happened exactly, all that mattered was that Draco was in love with Ginny and vice versa. No one, besides the happy couple, had thought their dating was a good idea. The Great Hall had collectively spit out its pumpkin juice when the news was announced. Her brothers had been particularly miffed at the idea, and now went out of their way to annoy him. And since they knew he didn’t like Christmas carols, the twins sang extra loud whenever he approached.



“Uh, Ginny? Can I talk to you?” he asked one day between classes.



“Yeah, sure,” she said brightly.



“Grandma got run over by a reindeer! Walking home from our house Christmas Eve!”



He pulled her off to the side and shot murderous glances at Fred and George. They winked at him and went right on singing. “I was wondering what you wanted for Christmas.”



Her eyes went wide. “Oh, Draco, you don’t have to get me anything for Christmas--”



You can say there’s no such thing as Santa! But as for me and Grandpa, we believe!”



Of course I do!” he grumbled indignantly. What was Christmas without presents? “You’re my....”



“What?” she asked hopefully.



“You know.” He avoided her eye and became very interested in the song.



“She’d been drinking too much eggnog,


And we begged her not to go.


But she forgot her medication,



And she staggered out the door into the snow.”



“So what do you want?” he pressed on, despite her melancholy attitude.



“Well it’s not any fun if I know what you’re going to get me, is it?” she exclaimed, irritated. “It’s a gift, not a request.”



“When they found her Christmas mornin’,


At the scene of the attack


There were hoof prints on her forehead,



And incriminatin’ Claus marks on her back!”



“Fine then,” said Draco, as if this weren’t a problem at all.



Ginny grinned, for the first time during their interview. “Fine then.” She kissed him on the cheek and returned to her brothers. They all walked away together, as a family, singing. “Grandma got run over by a reindeer...” Ginny didn’t notice Draco’s scowl. He hadn’t the foggiest idea what to get her, and Christmas was only a few days away!



* * *



The next Hogsmeade weekend found Draco in every shop in the entire town. But nothing he saw screamed “Ginny!” As he entered Dervish and Bangs for the second time, he frowned darkly. He still didn’t know what to get her. He hadn’t been with her that long. This was their first Christmas together. He wished there was some sort of chart that would tell him what was the appropriate gift for your gir--... Ginny-type-friend of four months.



“Anything I can help you with, Mr. Malfoy?” the salesperson asked politely. They were always sucking up to him because they knew he had money to burn.



Draco took one look at the crap they were hocking, rolled his eyes and left.



The snow was coming down pretty hard outside. It swirled around and covered everything like frosting. Draco was sure that, somewhere, Ginny was gleeful. She loved snow. It irritated him because it made his ears cold and he had lost his scarf. He sighed as he realized that his legs had taken him to the edge of town. The snow was fresh here, unmarred by the feet of hundreds of Hogwarts students. He came out here sometimes because Crabbe and Goyle were too stupid to find their way back from this far away from the castle, so he could be alone.



There wasn’t any place to sit though, since everything was hidden under the snow. Draco scowled as he searched the horizon for a good spot. The sunlight bounced off the snow, making it hard to see anything without squinting for the glare. It was official. He hated Christmas. He hated snow. He hated being cold. He hated shopping. He hated it all. He kicked a large block of ice more violently than necessary and watched it break into lots of little pieces that skidded across the ground in every direction.



“Careful. What if that block of ice was related to you, Iceman?” asked a giggly voice.



“Then I should’ve kicked it harder,” Draco grumbled, shoving his hands into his pockets.



Ginny laughed. The red of her hair was the only thing that stood out from the whiteness everywhere. She came forward, wrapping her arms around his waist. “What do you want?” he asked gruffly, trying to pretend like he didn’t like it.



“It’s cold,” she observed, snuggling closer. “You’re warm.”



He scowled, wishing there was a less utilitarian reason for her hug. “Why are you -- hey, where’s your hat?” he asked, realizing that it was her hair that stood out against the snow, not her Santa hat.



Ginny frowned. “Snape used it to test Disappearing Solution. Now I can’t find it!”



Draco had to resist the urge to laugh. “I’m sorry,” he said instead.



She glared at him. “No, you’re not. You think it’s funny. You wish you had thought of it.” He couldn’t help himself; he started to chuckle. She swatted him playfully. “You’re a horrible boyf-- person.”



He grinned, gratefully accepting such a moniker.



“Want to make snow angels?” she asked, abruptly. “The snow is all fresh here, perfect for snow angels.” She looked up at him hopefully.



“I’d rather bathe in a tub of Bubotubor pus,” he answered dryly.



Ginny put her hands on her hips and scowled at him. “How are you ever going to get into the Christmas spirit if you don’t do these kinds of things.”



“That is exactly why I don’t do these kinds of things. I don’t wear ridiculous hats. I don’t sing silly songs. And I don’t roll around in snow so that my bum freezes off and I can’t sit properly.” He smiled. “It’s a perfect plan.”



“Well can’t you at least pretend to be happy when I’m around then laugh at me behind my back like a normal person?” she quipped.



“I’m happy,” he protested.



“Why are you kicking innocent ice, then? It never did anything to you.” It was unnerving the way that she stared at him and seemed to be reading his mind. He tried to push the thoughts of not having a Christmas gift for her from his head, in case she really could. After closer examination of him she exclaimed: “You didn’t get me a gift yet!”



“Damn you!” he swore. Ginny giggled and clapped her hands, knowing that she was right.



“I told you, you don’t have to get me anything.”



“I. Will. Get. You. A. Present,” he said determinedly, through clenched teeth. It had become his mission in life. He wouldn’t fail. Draco Malfoy did not fail.



She assumed the saccharine, up-on-my-soap-box air of an Christmas book or special. “Christmas isn’t just about presents, Draco.”



“Sure it is,” he said with a yawn. “It’s about showing people how much they’re worth through how much you spend on them. All that other rubbish was made up by greeting card companies and religious nutters.” He paused to enjoy the look of fury on her face. Oh how he enjoyed teasing her. She was very pretty when she was brassed off.



She barely restrained her anger and said instead “it’s almost over,” in an attempt to be helpful.



Draco grinned. “And I suppose you’re sad about it. Wish there were more holiday festivities, do you?”



Ginny nodded fervently. “I wish we had the Yule Ball, like last year.” Draco pulled a face. The memory of spending the entire evening listening to Pansy Parkinson dribble on was enough to make him want to run screaming from England. “You wouldn’t have to go with her,” Ginny said, once again reading his thoughts. “You’d go with me!” She flashed him a brilliant smile. “We could dance... or something...”



He began to kick clumps of snow absentmindedly, avoiding her gaze. This idea resulted in mixed feelings. He didn’t know what to say to her, so he decided to change the subject instead. “What’d you do at Christmas when you were young?” he wondered, while starting back towards the heart of the town.



“I always got up insanely early because I couldn’t sleep. I’d go downstairs and hide behind our clock to wait for Santa. One year I got all teary eyed because I didn’t see him, so after that my Dad would dress up like Santa and pretend he didn’t know I was there. He’d even eat these gross cookies I made. I was little. I couldn’t tell the difference between the sugar and salt. My Mom made this rule that we couldn’t get up for presents before 7 am, so at exactly 7 I’d run into everyone else’s room, jump on them and yell until they woke up. Then we’d all go open our presents. When we got bored of that we’d steal each other’s presents and play with those. Fred and George would always break something, usually something of Percy’s by “accident.” Much screaming and crying would ensue. So Mom would call us in for food. She’d make so much that we’d all gain 2 robe sizes and have to go to bed right there on the floor because our legs couldn’t handle the new weight long enough to get us up the stairs.” She sighed nostalgically. “It was lovely.”



“Oh,” he said, unable to think of anything better to say.



“Why? What did you think we did at Christmas? Press our noses against other people’s windows and watch them celebrate? Ooh! Ooh! Or did you think we all had one toy, that was like a old boot or something, and we’d just pass it around? That we only had one bed and since there was so many of us, we had to take turns as to who got to sleep on it? Ooh. Or we starved at Christmas and when we came to Hogwarts for the feast, we’d all poke the dinner with our wands and wonder aloud what this strange substance was?”



“Do be quiet.” He started taking bigger steps, trying to get away from her.



“Don’t stop me. I’m on a roll,” she teased, and kept going as they walked back into town. “Did you think that we all huddled around one candle for warmth and longed for the good ol’ days, when we had two...?”



* * *




Ginny had decided she wasn’t going to put up with this “leave the presents at the foot of the bed” stuff any longer. One day the Gryffindors returned from class to find a giant Christmas tree smack dab in the middle of their Common Room. “This way we can all come down here Christmas morning, like at home!” she exclaimed excitedly. The rest of the Gryffindors adopted the same “just smile and nod at the mad woman” attitude they used when Hermione started going on about Elf Rights. They knew better than to fight with Ginny about Christmas.



By the time Christmas Eve rolled around, she was literally bouncing in her chair in excitement. “Let’s go to bed now,” she said to Ron at dinner. “The sooner we get to sleep the sooner we’ll wake up and it’ll be Christmas.”



Ron spat out his mashed potatoes. “Ginny, it’s four o’clock.”



“So?” she demanded.



“Uh,” he looked around him for help, but no one was offering. “Nevermind. It‘s perfectly normal. Perfectly.”



“I’ll go to bed with you,” said a voice. Ginny whirled around to find Draco smirking at her. She bounced up to give him a hug.



“Oh, it’s you,” Ron groaned, then turned away not being able to bear the sight of Ginny hugging Draco Malfoy.



“Are you going to give me my present now?” Ginny asked, excitedly.



“It’s not Christmas yet, Gin. You can’t have your Christmas present until Christmas.” He emphasized each “Christmas” in an exaggerated impression of her. “I thought I didn’t have to get you a present, anyway?” he taunted, in the same manner as someone tall holding something above their head so a smaller person couldn’t reach it no matter how high they jumped.



Ginny pouted. Draco, on the other hand, was quite pleased with himself. He had finally thought of something to get her. He sat down next to her and stroked her back soothingly. “Don’t worry, you’ll get it soon enough.”



“I hate waiting,” she whined.



“Hey!” shouted some 3rd year to Draco from across the table. “This isn’t your house table! You can’t sit there!”



Draco shot a death glare at the kid, causing her to “meep!” and leave the table abruptly. Still, he kissed Ginny’s cheek, said, “See you tomorrow. Bright and early!” and got up to leave.



* * *



Ginny woke up Christmas morning before anyone else. She wriggled around, trying to force herself to go back to bed. It was still dark outside and everyone else was sleeping peacefully. But it was Christmas. She couldn’t lay still. If everyone was asleep, then they wouldn’t mind if she went down to the common room to get a peek at the tree, she rationalized. Only two minutes after she woke up, she was carefully creeping down the stairs on her tiptoes.



The sound of someone laughing caught her completely off guard. “Bright and early, eh?” Ginny gasped and fell forward from the shock. She toppled down the remaining stairs and landed in a heap at the foot. Blowing a wayward lock of red hair out of her face, she looked up to find Draco looking down at her. He had his hands in his pockets, looking as cool as could be. She blushed the color of her hair, feeling completely stupid. This hadn’t been how she had expected Christmas to begin. She bet Draco never tripped and rolled down stairs. She couldn’t even recall a time he had ever stumbled. He walked like water. What the hell was he doing there anyway?



“Have a nice trip?” he asked wryly. “Ergh,” he bit his lip, noticing how embarrassed she was. He didn’t know why he opened his mouth and said what he said. It just came out. “My father decided when I was very little that I would be on the Quidditch team for Slytherin and hired a coach so I could learn to fly. Anyway, the first time I got on a broom I fell a good 20 meters and landed on my head. I still have the scar,” he added, in a pleased sort of way.



She looked at his smirking face. Something occurred to her. “Are you suggesting that your fall was better than my fall?” she asked irritably. Draco always had to be best.



He shrugged. “If the shoe fits --”



“But!” Ginny scrambled to her feet, and pushed her hair out of her face with more force than hair needed. “Did you see that flip I did in midair?”



“Well sure,” he replied haughtily, “you get points for artistic merit, but mine clearly had a higher degree of difficulty.”



Ginny smiled, grateful he wasn’t going to laugh at her. Her brothers would’ve laughed at her. If she had done it in front of Harry, she’d never be able to look at him again. Yet somehow with Draco, it was funny.



“What are you doing here?” she asked, finally. It had been her first question but had somehow gotten pushed to the side by their riveting discussion of trips and falls.



“I came to tell you that ‘Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus’. Actually, I came to give you your Christmas present.” He yawned lazily. “I can’t believe you get up this early. I didn’t know this hour actually existed.” He sat down on the floor where two packages, wrapped in silvery paper attached to one another with a green and red ribbon, lay. The one on top was tiny, the size of a ring box and the one on the bottom was square and thin.



Ginny crouched next to him. She plucked the small box from the top of the package, her mouth set in a firm line. She turned the box over and shook it by her ear. It was tiny, square and looked like it could hold jewelry. “This isn’t was I think it is, is it?” she asked nervously. God, she didn’t know what she’d do if he had gotten her anything really expensive.



Draco looked from her, to the box, then back to her. “No,” he replied dryly.



“Is it --?”



“No.”



Satisfied, Ginny tore into the paper, leaving shredded strips everywhere. She was relieved to find a wooden, carved package instead of a velvet one. She turned it over, to examine every angle. “What is it?” she wondered. It was just a wooden box; she couldn’t find any hinges to open it.



“Gimme,” said Draco as he snatched it out of her hands.



He held the box just centimeters above the floor. The box seemed to pull apart on it’s own, rather than Draco doing it, like there was something inside just bursting to escape. Ginny watched, in awe, as a miniscule figure emerged from the box. It was moving. She tipped her head to the side, lowering it to the ground to get a better look. Her face was practically right up against the floor when she realized that it was a figure. It was two figures.



They were dancing, like ballerinas in music boxes except there was no music box and they weren’t ballerinas. They seemed to be moving of their own accord. One of the little people was male, the other female. They both wore immaculate (but tiny) dress robes. The boy’s midnight black robes contrasted with his silvery, almost white hair. The girl had green dress robes that looked exceptionally Christmasy along with her bright, red hair which was topped off with a miniature Santa hat.



“It’s us,” she whispered, amazed. She giggled as little Draco dipped little Ginny.



“You said you wanted to dance,” he reminded her, as if he didn’t know what the fuss was about.



She didn’t look at him, she was entranced by the teeny figures in front of her. “How -- I mean, they didn’t cost a lot, did they?” she asked, worriedly.



“No,” he said again as before. “I made them myself.”



“YOU DID?!?” she cried, astonished.



“Don’t be so surprised,” he grumbled. She obviously didn’t appreciate the full extent of his magical skill. “I transfigured blocks of wood and put Charms on them so they’d dance.”



“Oh,” she giggled, turning her attention back to the dancers, who had danced their way into a patch of moonlight. They kept time perfectly with one another. It was like there was music playing that only the two of them could hear. “Oh!” she shrieked, abruptly, and ran from the room.



“Where are you going?” Draco asked, shocked, and a bit hurt that she was leaving. Didn’t she like this present?



“To get your present!” she hissed from the stairs, wanting to keep her voice low enough to not disturb the other Gryffindors but loud enough for him to hear. When she reappeared, she was clunking down the stairs with a rectangular box, that looked as though it had been used before to hold clothing. Something inside thudded against the sides, too small for it’s container. “It’s not a good wrapping job,” she apologized, as she handed it to him, with a wide grin on her face.



“That’s all right,” he said absentmindedly. He thought the package looked odd in his hads, foreign or something. He had been so caught up in finding the perfect gift for her that he had almost forgotten that she would be getting one for him. He turned it over, examining it.



“You’re supposed to open it,” Ginny teased, as if he were too stupid to figure that out.



Draco glared. “I know,” he grumbled as he began to unfold the wrapping paper. Ginny watched, barely suppressing giggles, as he neatly pulled the paper from the box, careful not to rip any of it.



“You don’t open presents right!” she declared amusedly after a few moments of this. “What? Are you saving the paper for later? Just tear into the thing!”



He leveled her with an icy stare. “You have your way. I have my way,” he answered, haughtily.



Ginny grunted in frustration as she fell into a nearby cozy chair. She watched him finish unwrapping through narrow eyes and with her arms folded across her chest. However, she sat up, eagerly, when he finally finished. After removing the box top, he uncovered a large, leather bound book sitting on top of something fluffy. Draco picked up the book and examined it much as he had the box.



“It’s a book,” he observed, not impressed.



“Oh well spotted,” she said dryly.



The cover of the book had no writing on it, just a picture of a wand doing a spell. He opened the front cover, and read the title page aloud: “Rare Curses and Hexes: Make Your Enemies Suffer without Getting Caught.” He pondered this for a moment, then turned to her with a large, mischievous grin on his face. “I love it!” he exclaimed, as Ginny burst into a fit of laughter and fell from her chair.



“There’s more,” she said through chuckles.



Draco peered inside the box once more. She was right. There was something else inside. Curious, he pulled the soft something out. As he raised it into the air, he noticed that it was unfolding. It was actually quite long. By the time it was completely out of the box, the piece of fabric was almost to the floor.



“It’s a scarf.” Ginny whispered.



“I know.” He wasn’t that dumb. He was just surprised by it. It was green and silver like the ones the that came with the Slytherin winter robes. Just like the one he had lost.



“You said you lost yours...” Ginny offered meekly. “I know it’s not as nice as the ones Madam Malkin’s has, but... See, I made it myself. My mum knits sweaters for us all every Christmas and I asked her how... I’m not quite up to sweaters yet...” She was getting nervous and couldn’t make herself shut up. She felt stupid all of a sudden. Draco had loads of money, he could get himself a good scarf if he wanted to.



He didn’t say anything, just smiled and wrapped the scarf around his neck despite the warmth of the Common Room. “It’s cozy,” he said, in what he hoped was a helpful, encouraging tone. Ginny blushed. “Now you have to finish opening yours!” He picked up the other package, that lay forgotten on the floor.



She took it with shaking hands that were still nervous from before. “What is it?” she asked timidly.



“You’re supposed to open it,” he answered in the same tone she had used.



Ginny began to tear into the wrapping paper, leaving bits of it crumpled all over the floor in front of her. Draco smirked at her mess. She reached into the box, with her eyes closed; she wanted to save the surprise until the last possible moment. Her hand touched something furry. For a moment, she was afraid that it was alive. Then she opened her eyes and shouted joyfully:



“My Santa hat!” She beamed as she jammed it onto her bright red hair, as if it had been cold without the hat. “You found it!”



“I mixed a Reappearing Solution,” he admitted sheepishly. “Professor Snape’s not happy about it.”



She was grinning at him so broadly now he thought her face would fall off. He collapsed into the chair, next to her so they were snuggled together. “Merry Christmas,” she whispered.



“Merry Christmas, Ginny.”



Ginny playfully teased Draco about how he unwrapped while he made fun of her hat, never missing a beat. They seemed to have a rhythm that they easily fell into when they were together. It was as if there was music playing that only they could hear. They sat in that chair, murmuring to each other and watching the tiny dancers dance across the Common room, until the sun rose into the sky and the sounds of dozens of students waking up could be heard overhead and Draco had to leave.

Ho, Ho, Ho, the Mistletoe, or Who You Callin' A Ho? (2001) by StrangerWithMyFace
Author's Notes:
In this story (also from 2001) there is obligatory mistletoe kissing.

The hoots and catcalls from the students in the Great Hall filled Ginny’s ears. “Come on!” “Woo!” “Kiss her already!” “Pucker up, Weasley!” She closed her eyes to shut them out. Maybe if she just ignored them, then they’d all go away. Like magic. She sighed. That had never worked with her brothers though. Maybe if she could learn a spell to make the Earth rise up and swallow you whole.


Yeah, that was the ticket. Damn Earth wasn’t cooperating though.



Ginny cracked one eye open to look up at the pale faced boy who stood in front of her. Was it just her imagination or did Draco look paler than ever?



“Draco and Ginny sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!” screeched Lavender Brown before she erupted in a fit of helpless giggles. That was witty, Ginny thought wryly, Lavender clearly has a long and fruitful career as a dimwit ahead of her.



Draco was scowling more than ever now. He kept looking up at the mistletoe that hung above them as if he were trying to make it spontaneously combust. Ginny rather hoped it would work. If the mistletoe wasn’t there, then she wouldn’t have to kiss him. In front of the entire school.



Damn mistletoe wasn’t cooperating though.



She glanced around the Great Hall. All the Hufflepuffs were standing up to get a better view. The Ravenclaws were sniggering as if they had never seen anything funnier. The Gryffindors and Slytherins were all torn between being amused and being ill. Ginny’s brother, Ron, was pretending to vomit into his goblet of pumpkin juice.



“Come on,” whined a particularly annoying Hufflepuff who Ginny wished would die a painful, horrible, gruesome, ugly death. A death with lots of blood. Ooh! Ooh! Or maybe she could contract some rare disease that ate away at her insides. Painfully. “You two are under the mistletoe. You have to kiss. It‘s tradition.”



Ginny violently cursed that moment when she had decided to leave the Great Hall. That same moment that had just happened to be the same moment Draco Malfoy had decided to leave the Great Hall. Thus, they walked under the mistletoe together. Thus, the hell began.



Malfoy folded his arms across his chest. “It’s a stupid tradition,” he scoffed. For once in her life, Ginny heartily agreed with Malfoy.



“You’re not getting out of here until you kiss her!” shrieked the annoying girl, emphasizing the word kiss for extra irritation. Visions of transfiguring her into a fruitcake danced in Ginny’s head.



Draco sighed and squared his shoulders. He shot a withering glare over his shoulder at the Hufflepuuff. As he leaned towards her a frightening (and oddly exciting) thought occurred to Ginny: Ohmigod! He’s going to kiss me! Her mind whirled in a frenzy of nervousness. She tried to remind herself of all the things she should do when kissed while simultaneously taking in every sensation.



Don’t open your mouth. Don’t open your mouth. Do NOT open your mouth.



Oooh. He smells good, like the woods after rain and some other scent that was like... money.



Keep your hands North of the border! On second thought, no touching! Touching is bad. Bad! Bad! You break it, you buy it.



The crowd “ooh”ed and “ahh”ed in unison as Draco’s lips descended on Ginny’s. Even Ron stopped barfing into his drink to stare at the pair of them. Ginny didn’t hear them whisper amongst themselves. All thoughts immediately left her head other than “Kissing is good. Me like to kiss.”



Just as quickly as it began, it stopped. Ginny slowly opened her eyes. Draco was looking down at her curiously. Neither one heard the Great Hall burst into applause and whistles. Ginny opened her mouth to say something. In her brain it had been something intelligent and endearing but in reality it was a squeaky “Eughhh....” It looked like she’d be enjoying the same illustrious career as Lavender Brown.



She was surprised to see Draco wink at her before walking away with his goons, leaving her standing there like an idiot.



“I can’t believe you kissed her,” said Goyle, stupidly.



“It’s tradition, right...?” his voice was carried away by the sounds of her friends running over to her. Some of them were laughing, others were shocked that they had actually gone through with it. They whisked her away to first period, chattering about who they would like to get caught under the mistletoe with.



“Maybe I’ll walk under it with Malfoy too,” giggled someone, Ginny was in too much of a daze to recognize who. “He’s so hot. Was he a good kisser, Ginny?”



It was that moment that she realized that she had forgotten to keep her mouth shut.



Damn mistletoe.

The Winter of Our Discontent (2002) by StrangerWithMyFace
Author's Notes:
In 2002 I was sick of writing Christmas fluff so I went for something darker. This is it.
*
Christmas was the Dark Lord’s favorite time of year. He liked to leave those who opposed him a nice Dark Mark floating over their house as gift. Voldemort became particularly vengeful at the sight of other people being merry on this “Muggle” holiday. This Christmas, he had a great surprise in store. And he was thinking about putting a big, glittery bow on it, just for shits and giggles.



Only his most trusted Death Eaters (there were a grand total of three) knew what he had in store. Draco Malfoy, the only son of the late Lucius Malfoy, happened to be one of them. Voldemort’s high esteem for his father coupled with Draco’s uncanny ability to make people suffer had helped Draco to rise quickly in the Death Eater ranks, while his Hogwarts classmates were still hovering around “boot-licker” and “useless goon.”



Draco was enjoying a quiet non-Christmas at Malfoy Manor when he was summoned. He was polishing his wand by the light of the fire. It had gotten some unfortunate bloodstains on it from the last time he had gone out with the Dark Lord. They were a bitch to clean off. Unhappily, he didn’t trust any of his servants well enough to make them do this type of cleaning for him. He remembered his mother used to be very good at cleaning wands, but she was rotting in Azkaban. How unfortunate that she had been put away before she could be any use to him. He had no wife of his own to pawn this kind of duty off on. Such was the life of a confirmed evil bachelor. Draco sighed.



It was at that moment that Wormtail chose to stick his grubby head into Draco’s fire. “Mr. Malfoy?” he asked in a pathetically servile tone.



“Yes?” Draco turned toward the fire so he could see the older man’s balding head bobbing around in the flames. It gave him a perverse joy.



“It’s Christmas Eve,” whimpered Wormtail.



“Is it? I hadn’t noticed?” Draco drawled, acerbically. “Worried you’ll be getting coal in your stocking again this year?”



“Sir,” said the severed head, “the Dark Lord requests your presence.” Wormtail had an unusual amount of fear behind his beady eyes. The Dark Lord didn’t trust him enough to tell him what was going on but he had been around long enough to know it wasn’t going to be pleasant. He only hoped he wouldn’t be losing another hand this time. He knew Malfoy would cut him up into lots of tiny little pieces and leave them underneath the Christmas tree, all with a smile on his face if the Dark Lord would let him.



There was an unspoken animosity between the young Death Eater and the older one. Wormtail was jealous of Voldemort’s confidence in Draco. Malfoy had only been a Death Eater for five years and he was already closer to the Dark Lord’s ear than he. Draco, on the other hand, was constantly irritated by the sniveling animagus. He truly hated wizards who weren’t proud of what they were.



“You can tell our Lord that I am on my way,” Draco announced as he rose from his chair.



There was something peculiar about the Slytherin young man. Everything about him, the way he moved, spoke, and acted was careful and composed. But there was something just below the surface – something like anger that he was trying desperately to keep in check. At any given moment he seemed likely to lose his precious control and rain fiery vengeance down upon any hapless soul that crossed his path, retribution for some secret wrong that had befallen him long in his past. What that wrong might be, Wormtail didn’t know; no one did. Draco played it close to the vest.



* * *



The Weasleys always had Christmas at the Burrow. All the Weasley children were grown up now. Ginny, the youngest, had gotten married and moved out three years ago, leaving an empty nest. But they all came back for the holidays. No one else could make a Christmas Eve dinner quite like Molly Weasley. This year she went all out. The table was covered in dishes that the boys just couldn’t seem to keep their hands off. Molly’d swat them and tell them it wasn’t ready yet and they’d go back into the living room, pouting, only to make another run at the food a few minutes later.



The only one she would let into the kitchen was her daughter, Ginny. It wasn’t because Ginny was the only girl. She was just the only one not interested in stealing food ahead of time. She wasn’t that hungry, to be honest, but there would be no way to keep her mother from shoving food down her throat. Molly always made sure she was eating enough, even now when she was all grown, Molly would send owls asking what she had to eat and if Ginny didn’t respond, Molly would send parcels full of food items than Ginny and her husband would never be able to eat by themselves.



Ginny was leaning against the kitchen cabinets, staring at her fingernails, as Molly put another pie in the oven. She really wished she could stop biting her nails; they looked horrible. There had been a short time, about when she first got married, when she had been able to keep them nice. She had started biting them again several months ago, and now they were nothing more than stubs. She quickly put her hands behind her back when Molly stood up from the oven, frightened that her mother would have something to say about it.



“So where’s Harry this time?” Molly asked, brushing a strand of fiery red hair out of her face with an oven mitt covered hand.



Her daughter cringed involuntarily. Her husband, Harry Potter, worked for the Ministry of Magic and was always off somewhere doing good deeds or saving young children and old ladies. This was the second holiday in a row that Harry hadn’t showed up to the Burrow. Molly was anxious to see her favorite son-in-law. She had always been particularly fond of Harry, ever since he had asked her how to get onto the platform that fateful morning at King’s Cross. Oh, he had been so polite.



“I – I’m not sure exactly,” stuttered Ginny, unable to come up with a suitable lie with her mother looking at her like that.



“Secret mission?” Molly chuckled, and continued busily moving about the kitchen.



“Uh,” lied Ginny, “yeah.”



“You’d think the Ministry would let him tell his own wife where they were sending him,” she grumbled, while rolling out the dough for another pie.



Ginny shifted uncomfortably from one foot to another. She really hated keeping things from her mother. But then again, there was no sense in ruining everyone’s Christmas by telling her the truth. Just because she was miserable didn’t mean everyone else had to be. Ginny sighed. “You’d think,” she agreed with a false smile. “But you know the Ministry, they’re trying to keep everything tight lipped. There’s a war going on.”



At the mention of the war, Molly’s face changed to a thoughtful, sour expression for just a moment. Quickly, she composed herself again. “Not in our house there isn’t.”



Ginny had to smile her first real smile at that. She knew things were horrible in the outside world, but coming home was like wrapping herself in a favorite blanket to keep the monsters away. She always felt safe here, with her family that she loved more than anything in the world.



* * *



“Finally,” sighed George as he sat down to the table, “I’m starving.” He pulled up his chair and shoved his napkin in his shirt with a greedy look on his face.



“I’d think you’d be full by now,” teased Molly, “the two of you ate a whole pie behind my back.” George and his twin brother, Fred, beamed at one another, pleased with themselves.



The entire family squeezed around the small table, with Arthur Weasley at his tradition spot at the head. “Well,” he said, trying to keep the peace as always, “I think everything looks wonderful.”



“Yes,” agreed Bill whole-heartedly. “Thanks, Mum.”



Ron coughed loudly, barely concealing the words “suck up” from Bill’s hearing. Bill shot him a death glare. Everyone else laughed heartily. It felt good to be home again. It was easy to fit into their old routine, like a glove.



“We should say Grace,” Percy pointed out, with the air of a glorified hall monitor, just before everyone dug in to their meal.



“Rubba dub dub, thanks for the grub. Yay God!” declared Fred proudly. “Let’s eat!”



They didn’t need any further encouragement to begin shoving food into their mouths. Lively conversation filled the Burrow as they all piled food high on their plates. The Weasleys could eat faster than any other family Ginny knew of, mostly because if you didn’t eat what you wanted quickly then someone else would graciously eat it for you. She could usually keep up with her brothers. She had actually beaten Ron in an eating contest once. Fred and George still teased him about it. But today she pecked at her food, and moved it around her plate a lot to make it look like she was eating.



“Not hungry, Gin?” Ron asked with a mouthful of food. He looked at her with sympathetic eyes. “I know you haven’t been feeling well since…”



Molly dropped her fork with a clang. Everyone else became suddenly silent. “Since what?” she demanded.



Ron shifted under the weight of his mother’s gaze. He looked around desperately for some assistance. Ginny was white-faced, pleading him with her eyes to stay silent. “Since… since… well… Harry… you know…” Discovering that he was only digging himself deeper into a hole, Ron decided to be silent.



Realizing she was going to get nothing further out of her youngest song, Molly turned to Ginny. “Are you sick, Ginny dear?”



“No, Mum,” Ginny replied sullenly, “I’m fine.”



Never one for leaving things alone, Molly pushed on. “Are you sure…? You don’t look well and Ron’s right, you haven’t touched your food.” She looked at her daughter long and hard, trying to puzzle things out in her head. Then her face contorted and her mouth formed a large “O” as if she had finally figured out the mystery. “Are you pregnant?” she hissed, barely containing her glee.



Ginny, too surprised for words, did not answer.



Molly leapt from her chair, clasping her hands to her chest. “I’ve wanted grandchildren for so long!” All the boys sunk lower in their chairs, and hung their heads. Dinner had taken a sudden turn for the uncomfortable. They wished they could get out of the dining room some how, and not be around for what they knew was going to follow, but were somehow glued to their chairs. And none of them wanted to leave as badly as Ginny did.



“Mum…” she said in a small voice, her face beginning to flush.



“Are you sure? How long have you known? How come you didn’t tell me?” Molly rushed to her daughter’s side, peppering her with questions. It killed Ginny to see the eager look on her mother’s face. What was worse was the knowledge that she was about to break her mother’s heart.



“Mum…” Ginny said again, “I’m not pregnant.”



“Oh.” Molly paled, feeling very foolish. Ginny looked absolutely wretched. She kicked herself for jumping to conclusions. She had just wanted a grandchild so badly. “Well what’s wrong then?”



If possible, the room became even more silent. All the boys seem to find something incredibly interesting to look at on their plates. Ginny closed her eyes, feeling as though she was about to jump off a cliff. “Harry and I are getting divorced,” she said flatly.



She still had her eyes closed when her mother shrieked, “What!?!” so she wouldn’t be forced to look at the disappointment in her face. “Why?!?” she demanded. Ginny, feeling as though she was going to cry, didn’t answer. She had never wanted to be alone so much in her entire life.



Angrily, Molly whirled on Ron. “You knew about this didn’t you?” Ron’s silence confirmed her worst suspicions. In fact, all of her sons had a similar guilty face. “You all knew about this!” she exclaimed.



“Now, Molly dear,” said Arthur, clearing his throat so he could be heard for the first time. “Perhaps we should give Ginny a chance to speak.”



“Did you know about this, Arthur?” Molly demanded, not listening to him.



“No, no,” her husband shook his head fervently. “This is the first I’ve heard about it,” he said truthfully.



Satisfied, she returned her attentions to her youngest son. “How long have you know? You’re his best friend. He must have told you everything!” Molly shouted at poor Ron, who wriggled under her glare.



“He hasn’t really told me much… He doesn’t want to talk about it. Won’t tell Hermione either…” he admitted, sheepishly. Molly continued to glare at him, expecting answers to her other questions as well. “Er – I’ve know since the beginning, I guess. Harry moved in with me and Hermione when it happened…” His mother’s eyes went wide. Once again, Ron realized that he had put his foot in his mouth. He cursed underneath his breath, careful not to let her hear him. He didn’t need her yelling at him for that as well.



“You’re separated?” she prodded Ginny. “How long?”



“Five months,” Ginny confessed, still refusing to look at her mother. “But we were having problems before that—“



“—Was he cheating on you?” Molly



Ginny’s eyes flew open. “What?” She abruptly stood up, exasperated. “No! Mum! This is Harry we’re talking about! He’d never… He’d… He’s Harry.”



This seems to placate Molly. She knew in her heart that this was true. After all, Harry was very well mannered. “You weren’t cheating on him were you?” Molly pleaded. “Because I thought I raised you better than that.”



Ginny sighed. “Mum… You did.”



Silence enveloped them. Ginny stared at her plate, wishing she could reverse time. She had planned on telling her parents, but not like this, not on Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas, your baby is getting divorced. She couldn’t make her marriage to one of the best guys in the world work because she was still hung up on one of the worst. She didn’t even realize she was running from the room until she was already halfway up the stairs.



She was glad that they knew her well enough not to come after her. She was glad her room hadn’t been changed since she was eight. She was glad for the familiar comfort of her bed. She sank to the worn mattress and covered herself with her blankets, the way she used to do when she thought there was a monster under her bed. There was something about failing in front of her parents that made her feel like a little girl again. She closed her eyes tightly, and hoped that they would understand.



She wanted to stay in her room forever.



God, she thought, that couldn’t have gone any worse.



* * *



It was cold outside. The wind was cold on Draco’s face despite his hood. He stared up at the house. There had been a time when he wondered what it looked like and would lay in bed at night trying to picture her there. He wondered what she was doing and hoped she was happy. He hadn’t done that for years now. It had been months since he had even thought of her. But he couldn’t keep himself from speculating as to which room was hers. Was it the one with the light on? Was she up there now? Was he there?



“You ready?” one of the other Death Eaters grunted. Draco couldn’t remember his name. Truth be told, they all sort of blended together. And he had never taken the time to get to know any of them.



Draco nodded the affirmative. He had been ready for this for a long time.



The door came easily off its hinges. Draco had expected better wards. After all, they were one of the most prominent families of the Resistance. Maybe they had grown careless. Maybe they didn’t think they’d be attacked on Christmas. That had been the Dark Lord’s plan, of course.



One of the redheaded boys shouted the alarm, Draco didn’t know which one. They all blended together as well. It didn’t matter anyway; they weren’t what he was here for. He glanced quickly around the room. It was a pitifully small house. His target wasn’t anywhere to be seen. He bounded up the stairs, leaving his henchmen to do all the dirty work.



He heard more screaming behind him. It was a sound he had gotten used to by now.



There was faint light under just one door, the one he had seen from the outside. The rest were dark. He had been right, it was her bedroom. He felt inexplicable rage bubble up inside of him. Everyone else was downstairs. He hoped what he thought was going on in there wasn’t going on in there. He didn’t know if he could stand it. It would, of course, make his job a lot easier.



Draco pushed the door open. He had to resist the urge to knock. He nearly broke his wand with his tight grip when he saw the lump on the bed. She sat bolt upright, her hair all disheveled. He didn’t allow himself to think how fetching it looked. It was only after he stared at her for a moment that he realized she was alone. It was just her in the bed.



“Where’s Harry Potter?” he asked gruffly, trying to mask his voice something he had never done before.



“He – he’s not here,” she stuttered. It must be a frightening experience to find a Death Eater in your room. And now, with the door open, she could hear the shouts from downstairs.



With a few murmured words, Ginny was bound in magical ropes. “Where is he?” he asked again with his wand pointed straight at her head. She could tell by the tone of his voice he thought she was hiding Harry. He sounded furious about it.



“I swear! He’s not here!” she cried, knowing she wasn’t convincing him. Harry had spent every Christmas at the Burrow since he had finished Hogwarts, even before the two of them had been married. And no one besides their closest friends and family knew they were getting divorced. Harry wanted to avoid it appearing on the front page of the Daily Prophet.



The Death Eater removed something from the billows of his robe. It was a vial with some kind of potion inside. Instinctively, Ginny backed away, fearing anything that a Death Eater would carry around in his pockets. Seeing her wide eyes, he chuckled, amused by her discomfort. “Veritaserum,” he said simply as he knelt on the floor near the bed.



Ginny visibly relaxed. She put up minimal resistance when he put a few drops in her mouth. She was so eager to convince him she was telling the truth, she didn’t even wait for him to ask her Harry’s whereabouts again before she started spouting details. “Honestly, he’s not here! I don’t know where he is! He didn’t tell me where he was going!”



Draco was oddly relieved and annoyed at the same time. The Dark Lord would not be pleased. He had planned the murder of Harry Potter for so long. He had been coaching Draco toward this one goal for years now. Draco had been eager to learn.



For some reason, Ginny didn’t stop talking there. She really didn’t want to tell this Death Eater all the details about her personal life. She hadn’t even wanted to tell her own mother. But she couldn’t help herself, not under the compulsion of the truth potion. “I haven’t seen him in weeks, thank Merlin. We’re getting divorced, already started the paper work. We’ve been separated for months now. He’s really broken up about it and I feel just awful for hurting him…” Even with his dark hood obscuring his face, Ginny could tell the Death Eater was gaping at her. Oh, how he wished she could shut up.



Draco was gaping at her but not for the reasons she supposed. For the first time in a long while, he felt sparks in his heart. “You’re getting divorced?” he repeated. In his excitement, he forgot to disguise his voice. Unfortunately for him, Draco’s drawl was unforgettable to anyone who ever heard it.



“Malfoy?” Ginny shrieked. She had always known he was trouble, but she had never pictured him like this. Her brothers always said she was too trusting.



Sheepishly, Draco removed the hood from his face, revealing his silver blond hair and pale skin. He looked strange, different from the way she remembered him. It was his power; power that happened to come with a boatload of confidence. His presence was incongruous with the fluffiness of her room and, suddenly, she was ashamed of it.



“Yes,” she reiterated, “we’re getting divorced.”



She had never been able to read him. There had been many times when she wished she could. He had an odd look in his eyes. Ginny knew it meant something. It made her feel warm all over. She blushed like a schoolgirl.



Draco grinned stupidly. She was getting divorced. He could’ve done a dance, maybe write a song. His first instinct was to lean over and kiss her right then and there. But that might not be wise. What if she didn’t want to kiss him? He considered asking her out on a date. But the more that he thought about it, the more he realized that there couldn’t have been a more highly inappropriate time to ask her out.



For one thing, she was still technically married. For another, he had taken her hostage. Finally, he was pretty sure some of guys he had come there with had just murdered several members of her family. These were all bad beginnings to a relationship, as a rule.



“Er…” He searched for something to say in a situation like this. “There’s something I want to ask you. Later, not now. But it’s important that you understand what I’m about to say.” He paused to run his fingers through his hair. While he did, his visage softened considerably. His voice assumed an intense, earnest tone. “I didn’t come here alone. Things downstairs aren’t pretty. But I didn’t do any of it.”



Ginny closed her eyes, trying to shut out the sounds from downstairs. She heard him whisper, “I’m sorry,” and felt his body heat as he leaned forward and kissed her gently on her forehead. She heard a shout in the air and she knew it was him, sending the signal to retreat. Then she heard the pop of Dispparation and was alone once more.



When he was gone, she was able to untangle herself from the ropes that bound her. There were tears streaming down her face by the time she was free. She could hear someone still screaming for help downstairs. She was torn between the urge to run to their aid and to stay in here, where she was cocooned in the warmth of knowing she was loved. Her forehead still tingled at the spot he had kissed her. It was the first time she had been happy in months. But it was a happiness she knew wouldn’t last. It would be eclipsed by grief she never knew possible.



She wanted to stay in her room forever.



* * *



Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this sun of York;
And all the clouds that lour'd upon our house
In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.
Now are our brows bound with victorious wreaths;
Our bruised arms hung up for monuments;
Our stern alarums chang'd to merry meetings,
Our dreadful marches to delightful measures.
Grim-visag'd war hath smooth'd his wrinkled front,
And now, instead of mounting barbed steeds
To fright the souls of fearful adversaries,
He capers nimbly in a lady's chamber
To the lascivious pleasing of a lute.


-- William Shakespeare, Richard III
The Love that Conquered Darkness (2004) by StrangerWithMyFace
Author's Notes:
In this story, Ginny explains the meaning of Christmas to Draco.
*

Winter at Hogwarts had always been a joyous occasion. Ginny remembered the way the snow glistened off the top of the tallest towers and the way the fairy lights twinkled throughout every hallway. The Great Hall was decked with dozens of Christmas trees and charmed with falling snow that was warm to the touch. There was never a time that the castle seemed more magical than on Christmas.

But never before had Hogwarts been caught in the grip of such darkness—the war. It filled the thoughts of everyone inside the castle walls, and seemed to seep into the very air around them so that even the twinkling fairy lights couldn’t penetrate its shadow.

Ginny stared at her plate; it was filled to bursting with hearty food and she knew that she should be thankful. She should be thankful that she was alive—that her family and friends were alive—and that the Ministry of Magic was finally working with Dumbledore to hold back the Dark Lord’s wave. They had a chance now to eliminate the threat forever so that her children and her children’s children wouldn’t have to live in the fear that now gripped her everyday.

But that thought didn’t keep her from wanting to cry each day when she woke up from peaceful dreams and remembered.

Tiny Professor Flitwick was charming the many Christmas trees a few yards down. No one was watching with the awe that Ginny had when she had first seen the Great Hall at Christmas. Their minds were elsewhere.

Death was everywhere. It seemed like every morning owls brought news that someone’s cousin or aunt or brother had died in the fight. Sometimes Ginny bowed her head in reverence for the lost soul. And sometimes she cheered because it meant one less enemy. She wasn’t sure which made her sadder.

Even now as she looked over at the Slytherin table, she felt like weeping. Never before had she felt so much pathos for the Slytherins. They had been lied to. At least Ginny had known what the Dark Lord’s coming had meant—she knew only too well what he had in store for the world. But they had thought it would be joyous—the wizarding world would finally throw of the mantle of muggleborns and live up to its potential.

They hadn’t realized that many of them would die in the fight. Still more would be shunned and scorned by much of the rest of the world. And now inside of leaving Hogwarts and becoming gods among men they would join the Death Eaters and serve the Dark Lord. They would fight and die. If they were lucky they might end up in Azkaban, tortured night and day.

Ginny felt sorry for them. There had been times before when she had hated them with every bit of her soul. But now she couldn’t muster up enough emotion for that. She just pitied them and felt bad that she would no doubt have to kill one of them one day—or else one of them would kill her.

*

The climb to Gryffindor tower felt longer and harder each evening. By the time Ginny reached the Fat Lady’s portrait, she was so weary all she could do was drag herself up the last few stairs that led to the girls’ dormitories and collapse into bed.

Ginny looked toward the bright stars in the window. They shone brightly now that the nights had become so dark. It was comforting to see them fighting to keep the light alive against the blanket of darkness.

She closed her eyes and prayed. Ginny had never been much for prayer when she was younger. Molly Weasley had stopped bringing her children to church when the twins were born because it was just too difficult to keep them all quiet and too embarrassing when they disrupted the entire ceremony. So when Ginny had begun praying the night Cedric Diggory passed away she felt a bit like a hypocrite, asking God for things when she had never done anything for Him.

Still she prayed every night—to the Christian God or ancient gods or anyone who was willing to listen—that her brothers would be all right, that her parents would not be killed, and that the souls of those who were taken would finally be given peace. Sometimes she prayed that Tom Riddle would be given enlightenment, finally realize the pain he was causing, and just stop. Stop what he was doing and go away. But she had touched Tom Riddle’s soul once and she knew that there wasn’t any light there.

That was why she prayed for it. Only a god could work a miracle.

As she prayed she remembered the Christmases she had spent at Hogwarts years before. Even the one she had spent with Tom had been better than this. That year she had snowball fights with her brothers and Percy had bullied her into taking medicine she didn’t need. That had been when Percy was still speaking to the rest of her family.

And suddenly she felt like crying again. It seemed she had done too much crying recently. Every moment of the day felt like that moment just before the tears begin to fall. She wanted a happy Christmas again, not just for herself, but for the entire school.

She wanted Dumbledore to laugh and pretend to be Santa Claus. She wanted the chorus to sing carols while Professor Flitwick to danced on top of his chair. She wanted Professor McGonagall to wear the horrid wreath around her hat and shout at students for pulling crackers in the corridors. She wanted Fred and George to throw snowballs at Ron. And Ron to complain because his sweater was maroon.

Most of all she wanted her Mum to send her sweets and a cozy sweater, which Ginny already knew wasn’t coming since Mum had been so busy with the Order. And she wanted the castle decorations to inspire the kind of awe and wonderment in all the students as they had when she had first seen them with the fresh eyes of a little girl.

And that was when she realized there was something she could do to make this Christmas happy.

*

Sneaking around Hogwarts at night wasn’t as simple as Ron and Harry Potter would have led Ginny to believe. She felt that Mrs. Norris was constantly nipping at her heels. Now she understood why and Invisibility Cloak would come in handy for someone who was off fighting evil at all hours of the night. It would have come in rather handy for her. But she hadn’t wanted to tell anyone what she was going to do. It was her secret. Everyone else would be surprised.

Well, except for the fairies. They giggled as she passed and whispered to one another. At first she thought their incessant chatter would get her in trouble. Filch was bound to hear them. But instead it seemed that they were on her side. Once, Mrs. Norris had been nearby and they had flashed an SOS and distracted the cat by swirling around her. So as Ginny walked by them in the dark she grinned and gave them the thumbs up. She wasn’t sure if it was her imagination or not, but she thought that their lights shone brighter than they had before.

The Great Hall would be her biggest challenge. It was large but there wasn’t a place to hide should someone enter the room. And it would be hard to top the decorations that the house elves had provided for the Yule Ball years earlier. If Ginny wanted this to be memorable then it would have to stand out.

Ginny sat at the vacant Gryffindor table and meditated on her task for a while. She pondered the Enchanted Ceiling and its large columns, perfect for hanging things. Her brothers had once turned an entire corridor into a bog. She hoped their blood ran through her veins so that she could turn the Great Hall into a winter wonderland.

*

At four a.m., Ginny was still hanging garlands. She had already charmed the snow to fall harder and faster. Now an ankle-deep layer of warm, fluffy snow covered the floor and a snowman stood by each of the four long tables, wearing the house’s own scarf and mittens. The Christmas trees were decked with snow but since it was warm snow, the fairies were content to keep shining in their branches. Ginny was pleased she had made friends with them early on, for she could not have hung all the garlands and icicles without them.

Every now and again, Ginny poked her head out of the doors to check for Filch or Mrs. Norris. They never came. She was sure the fairies had something to do with that as well. Once a few house elves had popped their heads out from the kitchen. But they squealed and giggled and were content to leave Ginny to her work.

She was up on a ladder, hanging sprigs of mistletoe when she heard footsteps in the corridor. There wasn’t time for her to dive beneath a snow bank or even get down from her ladder. The Great Hall’s door swung wide open and for a split-second Ginny thought Filch was finally going to get to hang a Weasley by their thumbs. But it wasn’t Filch who emerged from the hallway, it was Draco Malfoy. Even worse.

Ginny knew that Prefects patrolled the corridors at night. She feared that Ron might catch her and tell Mum. Or Hermione would and scold her for breaking rules, as if Hermione never broke school rules. This was even worse. There was no one she wanted to see less than Draco Malfoy—no one who had less Christmas spirit to understand the nature of her task. She threw a miffed look at the fairies. Why hadn’t they alerted her in time?

Draco paused to take in the scene. There was snow in the Great Hall. Fairy light twinkled from every corner of the room. Icicles hung from every beam. And there was Ginny Weasley, in her pajamas, atop a ladder hanging sprigs of mistletoe.

“Is this the only way you can get someone to kiss you, Weasley?” he sneered.

Ginny pushed an irritating strand of flaming red hair out of her face angrily. She hadn’t expected him to understand. He was probably already thinking of all the points he’d take from Gryffindor.

“For your information,” she replied huffily as she climbed down from the ladder. “Mistletoe was associated with the Winter Solstice long before Christianity. But you don’t take Muggle Studies so I wouldn’t expect you to know that.”

His eyes narrowed. “Just what exactly do you think you’re doing? Besides being out of bed at night, roaming around the castle without permission, doing unapproved magic, and interrupting my rounds?”

The fairies shrieked and flashed their lights angrily at him, which made Ginny feel a bit better. What a Scrooge, she thought.

“It’s Christmas, Malfoy. Everyone is depressed and I’m trying to brighten their spirits. Take points from Gryffindor if you must but I’m not going to spend another breakfast watching everyone else mope.”

With that she climbed up the ladder and resumed hanging the mistletoe. For a moment she thought he was going to shout at her. Then she thought he’d turn on his heel and fetch Professor Snape. But he didn’t. He moved closer to where she was working and asked, “What’s mistletoe got to do with Christmas spirit if it’s not for kissing under then?”

Ginny looked over at the fairies, they had quieted down, she wondered what he was playing at but figured the longer he stayed there then the longer she had to work. “The Norse believed in the Goddess Frigga, who was the goddess of love and destiny. Back then the Winter Solstice was also the New Year, the time when new destinies could begin. One New Year she labored and gave birth to the Sun God, Baldur. She could see the future and she saw the painful death of her son.

“Even though she was a goddess she couldn’t change the fate of her child. She pleaded with all the gods and creatures not to harm her son. But the trickster, Loki, used a poisonous plant—Mistletoe—as an arrow and tricked Baldur’s brother, Hodor, the God of Darkness, into shooting the Sun God.

“Without the Sun God the world was dark constantly. Frigga cried and cried until her tears became frozen white berries on the mistletoe. Every god attempted to raise Baldur from the dead but in the end it was Frigga herself who had the power to raise him up and restore light to the world.

“From then on the meaning of the plant was changed to represent the love that conquered death and darkness.”

Draco was silent following her tale for which Ginny was grateful. It allowed her to finish her work in peace. As she finished, she looked around and her handy work and was pleased. She hoped it would give the student body at least one moment when they were not thinking about the war.

She hopped down from her perch and faced Draco squarely. “Christmas is about the coming of light,” she whispered. “Whether you believe that’s a god or longer days, it doesn’t matter. Change is coming.”

He stared at her, unmoving. She noticed for the first time that his eyes were gray—not the gray of a storm like she had thought—but like the gray that fills the sky just before the sun breaks over the horizon. She felt a tickle in her stomach and wished he would say something, take points from Gryffinfor, do something—anything.

Then he did do something and she was ever so glad that he did. He leaned forward and brushed his lips against hers. They were cold due to the chill in the castle at night but as they touched hers, she felt warmth that started there and radiated outward until it filled her completely. While she had been so concerned with making everyone else forget, it had made her remember. And for just one moment, she ceased to think at all.

As they broke apart Ginny’s mind flashed back to earlier that evening. I might have to kill him one day, she thought. Or he me. She looked up into his gray eyes and whispered. “Your destiny can change.”

“I think it already has,” he answered.

She watched as he stared around with new eyes at the fallen snow and the twinkling lights of the happy fairies and she knew that Christmas would be a joyous occasion again this year.

A Christmas Visitor (2005) by StrangerWithMyFace
Author's Notes:
In this story, Ginny goes rogue and kills Dark Wizards and SWMF reuses chapter titles. Posted in 2005.
*
Snow was falling as she stepped outside. Ginny pulled her cloak close around her, to protect her face from the icy wind. The streets were emptying out now; she saw wizards hurrying to the nearby portkeys and floo networks to get out of the chill winter cold and into their warm homes. It was the time of year people wanted to be by the fire with
loved ones.

Ginny couldn't do that.

She had a job to do, she knew. Just two more tonight and then she'd let herself rest, finally. Briefly, she entertained the thought of maybe attempting to contact her family tomorrow. It had been awhile since she'd spoken to them and she could only imagine her mother was sick with worry.

No, she thought, as she watched a couple rushing by underneath a shared umbrella, it's too dangerous.

She had to put these thoughts aside, she knew. So she focused on the task at hand.

The snow was falling faster now. There would have been a time, not long ago, when she would have thought it wondrous. Now it was only cold and tiresome. Snow made it difficult not to leave tracks. She had to step lightly and hurry.

He was crouched inside an alley, attempting to stay dry, when she came upon him. She rather thought he looked like vermin he was. When her shadow fell over him, he asked her if she had any change. She was practically on top of him by the time he had the sense to realize she had not come out of pity, but some more fearsome emotion.

She pointed her wand directly between his eyes. "Any last sins you'd like to confess?" she asked. She always gave them a chance to confess. They never did. They'd try to run or fight. But they had no guilt and thus she showed no mercy.

"The Black Widow," he hissed, trying to roll out of the range of her wand.

Ginny Weasley sighed. They called her that now, forgetting she had not had the good fortune to become a widow. They had taken Harry Potter from her before she ever got the chance to marry him. It had all been planned—in truth, she had planned it since she was ten years old. And then it had disappeared before she had ever gotten so much as a taste.

She hexed him, spitting the words out fast and furious. He jumped, rolled and dodged. It was when he screamed and rushed her, like a Rugby player at a muggle game, that she realized he had no wand. Perhaps he lost it. Perhaps he sold it. The Death Eaters are not what they used to be, and for that she was glad.

Ginny danced easily out of his way. She has done this many times before. He lunged for her again, and this time she threw up her arm and pivoted so that his face collided with her elbow. There was a crunch. She rejoiced in the pain, knowing he felt it more keenly than she. And indeed, he fell to the ground clutching his nose, with blood
spurting out between his fingers onto the freshly fallen snow.

Ginny smiled at her fallen foe and raised her wand.

*

It was Christmas Eve. If things had gone as planned she would be home wrapping presents for her children or decorating the tree. As things were, she had no children or tree, so she was free to continue dark wizard hunting. She had one more wizard on her list, one she saved for
last. Her list was rather like Santa's list, except, she thought ruefully, only the naughty were on it.

Still, she checked it twice, as if she didn't know what name was written on the bottom.

His apartment was much smaller than she expected—just one room with the bed and kitchen both on top of one another. When the door sprung open, he was sitting at the table drinking something warm. The heat of it rose off his mug, curling around his face. He had no tree or decorations but his mug had a snowman on it, she noted quickly before his eyes turned to meet hers.

His eyes are as gray as his apartment, she thought. There was surprise in them, but only for an instant. It was gone as quickly as it came.

"Weasley," Draco greeted her as if he expected her, "Happy Christmas." He took another drink from his mug, then set it down.

Ginny raised her wand and leveled it at his head. "Do you have any sins you'd like to confess?" she asked.

"A great many, actually," he admitted. "Let's see. I don't honor my father; I'd like to see him dead in fact. I've been known to lie and steal. Once when I was a child, I stole Goyle's gobstones and lied and said Crabbe did it—so that was two for one." He counted them off on
his fingers as he said them. "I curse frequently, and creatively, might I add. And I covet my neighbor's wife…" he leered at her when he said that.

"I'm no one's wife," she reminded him angrily.

"Oh," he replied blithely, "well, cross that one off then."

Quickly, she strode across the room and grabbed him by the hair. "I meant like murder, Death Eater."

He looked up at her innocently with those cool gray eyes. "No," he said.

"Liar!" she hissed. "What about Dumbledore? And Harry?"

He reached up, quick as the snake he was, and extricated himself from her grip. "It was the Dark Lord who killed Harry Potter, everyone knows that. And Severus Snape killed Dumbledore. I'm sure Harry told you--Perfect Potter never lied." His tone grew increasingly hostile,
until he all but spit after saying Harry's name.

She narrowed her eyes into slits. "Don't you dare mock him."

"Merely stating the facts, Weasley, I'm sure he told you—or perhaps Granger and your brother instead--what happened in the tower. I didn't kill anyone. So if you're done with your indignant rage, I'm having cocoa."

"Do you deny taking the Mark?" she asked.

"No," he replied flatly.

"Then you deserve to die."

"I rather thought that was for the Ministry to decide with their pesky laws and whatnot," he quipped. "Isn't your father in the Ministry, Weasley, wouldn't he be ashamed if he knew what you're doing?"

She hexed him.

He fell to the floor gasping. She thought that would shut him up. Instead it just made him laugh. "Feeling guilty, Weasley? Perhaps you have some sins you'd like to confess?"

"The Ministry would find you guilty and send you to Azkaban," she replied. "I'm just speeding up the process."

"As it happens, you're wrong. They found me innocent and let me go. Ask your father if you don't believe me—he was there."

"Liar." She didn't believe him. She couldn't. How could the Ministry find Draco Malfoy, who was the biggest prat she'd ever met, innocent? She knew he was a Death Eater. He had the Mark. It wasn't possible.

"You keep saying that, but I haven't lied once. I even told you about the gobstones."

"Why would the Ministry let you go?" she asked, genuinely curious. He was the son of Lucius Malfoy, there could be no good in him.

"For one who proclaims undying love for Harry Potter, you really know very little about him, you know." He climbed up off the floor and brushed himself off with as much dignity as he could muster. "Potter spoke at my trial on my behalf."

"Liar!" she shouted.

"Do you know any other words, honestly?"

"Why would Harry speak for you?" she wondered. "You're foul."

He sniffed. "I admit not having bathed recently—they turned off my water. But it's not a crime they put you in Azkaban for. Potter knew I didn't kill Dumbledore and that Snape and I passed information along to the Order of the Phoenix that helped locate the remaining horcruxes."

"I don't believe you," she breathed.

"Then perhaps you ought to go ask your father. I told you, he was there. How long has it been since you've spoken to him anyway?"

"What do you care?" she asked.

`It's Christmas, Weasley," he said more gently than she could've imagined. "Go home."

"I haven't got one," she said, thinking of Harry, dead in his grave.

"Yes, you do," he replied. "You've got at least 40 older brothers. They're all very loud and red. I'm sure they're wondering where you are."

It made her sad to think of her brothers. She pictured them sitting by the hearth, with the orange glow from the flames making their hair look like it was on fire. She missed them terribly, but she knew they wouldn't approve of what she'd been doing. They would even try to stop
her, and she couldn't risk that.

She crossed her arms over her chest. "Why don't you go home?"

"I am home," he gestured to his accommodations. "They seized the Manor when they put my father in Azkaban."

She looked around the tiny apartment. In truth, she was still shocked that Draco Malfoy lived there. It was so plain, barely furnished at all. He could probably have reached out and touched both walls if he wanted to—maybe even jumped and hit his head on the ceiling. It was
all gray and nondescript, except for the snowman on the cocoa mug. He was a cheery fellow with his top hat sitting jauntily atop his head.

Her silence must have unnerved him because he asked, "Are you going to kill me or not? I like to plan these things out."

"No," she said. It surprised her because up until that very second she thought she was going to kill him. She couldn't say exactly why she wasn't, except that it was Christmas and she was weary. She wanted to go home.

"Oh, good," he said and went back to his cocoa.

She hovered at the door for a time, waiting, for what she couldn't say. "I may come back," she finally blurted out. "If it turns out you're lying. I'll find you again and kill you."

He nodded. "I'll be here," he sipped his cocoa. "Bring some marshmallows next time. I like marshmallows."

She hesitated a moment longer, not truly wanting to leave. Then she sighed, and apparated. As she disappeared from the gray room she thought she heard him say, so softly she might have imagined it, "Happy Christmas, Ginny."
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=4696