Draco's Favourite Nurse by Burgosdamasco
Summary: Healer Malfoy and Nurse Ginny work at a clinic for low income wizarding families.
Categories: Works in Progress Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Romance, Humor, Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 10524 Read: 13148 Published: Jun 20, 2004 Updated: Jun 20, 2004

1. Nurse Ginny by Burgosdamasco

2. Meet Healer Malfoy by Burgosdamasco

3. A Stunning Redhead by Burgosdamasco

4. Blind Date by Burgosdamasco

5. Mixed Signals by Burgosdamasco

Nurse Ginny by Burgosdamasco
Chapter 1

Ginny Weasley was a young nurse, having only graduated the previous year from Hogwarts when war erupted. Prior to the war she attended one of the best and innovative nursing programs in all of England, combining magic with Muggle Science.

After the Great War she worked a year at St Mungo’s ,then decided to try travel nursing. She had always wanted to venture out, and discovered this was just the opportunity. Packing her bags she headed off to America, Chicago to be precise. Immediately she was hired at Cook County Wizard Hospital’s Free Preventive Care Clinic, treating low-income wizarding families. The clinic was not just the best in the states but in the whole wizarding world. At St. Mungo’s , Muggle medicine was looked down upon.

In the states the witches and wizards freely combined Magic and Muggle alternative therapies. What gave her the most satisfaction was ensuring that wizarding families that needed the most healthcare support received it without slipping through the cracks, no matter what their finances were. Some of the families were very much like her own despite having names such as Nguyen, Burgos or Marchinski. It was extremely fulfilling work yet sometimes her heart ached for a bit more, and she wondered what it could be that she yearned for.

***
5 years prior

She had volunteered to be on the front lines with Aurors, side by side with Healers . Knee deep in blood and healing potions, she watched as Hermione was floated in on a stretcher, contorting and moaning due to the Cruciatis Curse

“Healer we need to evacuate this casualty as soon as possible” Ginny stated urgently.

“We don’t have the resources right now, she’s a lost cause, just make her last few hours as painless as possible.”

“Dammit, I might just be a nurse but I tell you –NO ONE IS A LOST CAUSE!” Ginny walked past him seething ,checking on Hermione’s wounds and vital signs. Her blood pressure was dangerously low. She was still screaming in pain. Ginny wanted to cast a pain relief spell on Hermione but knew the effects would cause Hermione’s blood pressure to drop even lower. There was no way in Hades Hermione would die. Not on her watch.

“Don’t you die Hermione! You promised me many nieces and nephews. I expect you to deliver on your promises!”

She ran to the potions cabinet, muttering a curseword realizing supplies were low. She scrounged in the cabinets and found muggle supplies that the other doctors and nurses were too loathe to use, but she wouldn’t let her sister-in –law die. Grabbing a 16 gauge needle and a bag of normal saline she went over to Hermione and searched for a vein. she inserted the needle quickly and started infusing the solution. Tapping the bag lightly with her wand and uttered,
“Corpus Sano.”

Immediately Hermione’s painful moans started to die down.

“Just what do you think you are doing?” The attending healer Thompson asked her.

“Saving a life!” screaming at Thompson, Ginny reminded herself that she shouldn’t be yelling at her superiors but this was war, and she wouldn’t be bullied by demanding snobbish Healers who thought every nurse was just a diaper changer.

She saw Thompson give Hermione a quick check and did something even more uncharacteristic “Good job, show all the nurses how to do a muggle IV. I have to admit we’ve been cut off from our supply line and we haven’t been able to get any potions in two days, but as I can see - you have figured out a solution ”

Normally Ginny would have been happy to receive a compliment which the nurses had been accustomed to never receive. Now, she really didn’t care. This was her job and she was damn good at it –praise or no praise.

The battle of Hogsmeade was become more fierce with each passing day. More casualties were brought in, stretching staff and supplies thin. Already Ginny and the other hospital staff had been up past the 24 hour mark when another 40 more casualties were brought in. This sent the staff in a flurry of activity.

“Nurse Weasley, need you over here now!” screamed Healer Thompson. Ginny ran over to Thompson with IV in hand. “We need these patients triaged,” He pointed to Aurors and civilians that were being magicked in by strectcher.

Ginny’s eyes rested on a man covered completely in black, “Healer Thompson this man is expectant”

Healer Thompson looked away.

“He’s a death eater, let him die!” she heard Healer Chadwick add.

A nurse responded, “He’s the enemy, leave him. We have more important people to attend to.”

“Healer Thompson this man is going to die! Death Eater or not, he is still a patient, a human being!” Ginny pleaded.

Healer Thompson shook his head, “I’d rather give a 2nd chance to a patient that valued life instead of taking it away.”

Ginny glared at him and turned her attentions to the cloaked Death Eater. His breath was ragged and his chest was covered in blood. She waved a wand at his wounds chanting,
“Cruento Desiit.”

The wound from the patient’s chest started to close but the patient had already suffered extreme blood loss. Healer Thompson watching his nurse with intense scrutiny stepped over and grudgingly muttered additional healing spells.

“After you’re done giving him an IV, give him the oxygen spell and I want an x-ray stat”

Ginny nodded surprised at Healer Thompson’s sudden help. She looked down at the death eater before her. No one else would dare touch this man. They would rather have him die. Already the staff and other patients were muttering to leave him to the starving Hippogriffs outside. Ginny may have hated Thompson at times but he was a true healer in every sense of the word, it didn’t matter if you were rich poor, muggle or wizard…you were a patient first and foremost. She was glad he recognized her as a nurse who had the same ideals and decided to assist her.

The IV hung in place as she tapped the bag repeating the same words,
“Corpus Sano.” Ginny silently whispered a spell to check the patient’s oxygen level which was dangerously low. Tapping the bag again, “Aeris plura” .

Ginny palpated the patient’s chest with her wand , watching it glow, she dipped the wand in the bottle next to her and tapped the parchment.

“Healer, Thompson here is your X-ray. Will you be needing me anywhere else?”

“I think we are fully staffed tonight, you need to sleep, before you do, just wash up that Death eater and get him changed before someone decides to kill him”

Ginny nodded, “Yes, sir”

She drew the curtains around the bed trying to give the patient as much privacy as could be afforded in a field hospital.

Ginny heard the patient sleeping soundly. He was still unconscious so she had to undo his cloak herself which smelled like blood, infection and death. She took the basin next to her and started to clean the blood stains from his chest. Ginny was nearly finished when she got to his hood. She was so busy trying to save him that she had never taken off his mask. She wondered what monster lay beneath. Slowly she undid the clasp around the neck and let out a horrified gasp. Draco Malfoy.

She shouldn’t have been surprised. He was an evil git in school but she never imagined -this.

Ginny thought back to her 1st year at Hogwarts and the evil diary that Lucis Malfoy had given her. With a father like that she understood why he turned to this path, for this path could have been her own. Ginny thought of her brothers of Hermione, Harry…of all the people fighting Voldemort, people who would be dying and not coming home tonight.

“You’re too young” she whispered to the unconscious Malfoy.

Ginny knew that even on the Deatheater side, young men like Draco were dying out there in the fields surrounding Hogwarts, on the streets of Hogsmeade for some stupid silly man who didn’t care about the people he sent to do his dirty work. She dipped the washcloth in the basin bringing it to his arm. Slowly she traced the dark mark, thinking to herself why such an attractive man had to blemish himself with a mark that was so hideous.

Though the matter at hand was a serious a funny thought entered her head, Malfoy would be absolutely mortified if he knew a Weasley had seen him naked! She chuckled to herself as she finished with his bath. After dressing Malfoy in a patient gown and covering him with blankets, Ginny slowly arose but was stopped suddenly when she felt his hand grab her arm, bringing her back on the bed .

”Pp-please stay” Malfoy was stuttering obviously still under the anesthetic spell Thompson had put on him.

“Ok” Ginny simply said, not knowing exactly why he aroused such sympathy from her when she had been around the sick and dying all day.

Ginny could tell he was trying to look at her but was unable to focus. “I didn’t mean to…”

“Ssh” Ginny whispered gently, “Sleep” She smoothed his hair as a mother would do with a young child

“I’m so sorry.” Draco weakly held Ginny’s hand and held it to his chest.

Ginny could have removed it, but she didn’t only staring at how deceptively angelic Malfoy looked. “Thank you.” he whispered.

The phrase alone almost sent Ginny into shock. If Malfoy kept this up she would end up a patient herself. Finally Draco Malfoy drifted into a deep sleep. Ginny ordered one of the younger Medics to stand guard. It was too dangerous to leave him unattended.

“How long should I be here Nurse Weasley?” The younger medic asked

“The Aurors should be coming tomorrow for their prisoner.”

The next day was bright and sunny masking what horrors had happened the days before. She walked over to where Draco Malfoy lay. He was gone.

“The aurors came this morning, Ma’am” the medic answered when he saw her searching eyes.

Azkaban will probably be safer for Malfoy, she thought. But she didn’t dwell on him for long. Bells rang out in Hogsmeade, bugles sounded in the air, Veelas sang of the demise of Voldemort at the hands of Harry Potter and friends. The war was over.


***
Present Day –Chicago

A much needed vacation for two weeks had cleared Ginny’s mind. Ron, Hermione and their two kids had apparated over to visit her. They had taken in the sights and sounds of the Windy City. It had been fun seeing Chicago once again through tourist eyes. She had taken them to a famous muggle attraction – the Sears Tower, watched the new expansion Quidditch team – The Chicago Capones. Unfortunately the team had lost once again but it had been great fun nonetheless. Hermione became addicted to Deep Dish Chicago style pizza, constantly complaining that she was getting fatter everyday.

“Well, you are pregnant.” Ron had in all his sensitivity told her.

Yes- it had been a great time. Now it was back to work. She didn’t mind, in fact she had missed the hustle and bustle. A workaholic she was, and loved every minute of patient contact.

Ginny apparated to Cook County Wizard Hospital’s Free Preventive Care Clinic and headed for the nurses lounge.

“Ginny!” called her friend Estella Rodriguez, a pretty black haired nurse who had become one of Ginny’s closest friends, “How was vacation?”

“Well, Estella I am pretty relaxed now and am in a pretty good mood. Tell me what have I been missing?”

Estella grabbed a doughnut, ”Where to begin…….” she paused after finishing her breakfast and reaching for another, “ Mr. Coolson is back. He was hexed with the conjunctivitis curse after trying to date said hexers wife….”

Estella updated her on the patients when suddenly changed the subject…”and there’s a new Attending Healer. He’s British you know…..maybe…..”

“Stop it right there Estella. Just because he’s British doesn’t mean we’ll get along. The last time you set me up with a British guy it was a complete disaster. Remember?”

Estella’s mouth was full and almost choking on her doughnut in laughter, “How was I to know he was gay!”

“How would you feel if I tried matching you with every Mexican man I met?”

Estella fingered her wedding ring, “Too late.” She grinned, “ If you don’t stop being so picky you may find all the men taken.”

“I’m quite happy being single thank you, My social calendar is far too busy to think about men at this stage in my life.” Ok that sounded convincing, didn’t it? Ginny hoped it did. Too many people were meddling in her love life as it was – Her coworkers, well meaning roommates, her mother, not to mention Harry Ron and Hermione. Couldn’t they all see that her life was complete without a man to muck it all up?

“Once you see the new Attending Healer you may change your tune, he is muy guapo!”

I can’t trust you, you think everyone is, what do you say, muy guapo!.” Ginny laughed with Estella.

“Wait till you see him, the only thing…he has such a horrible demeanor. He’s quite mean. Told me yesterday I was incompetent because I gave Mrs. Gatorski one vial of Perpperup potion when he said he wanted two. I told him it was written only one vial on the patient’s parchment records but he kept blaming me…”

“Another bad attitude Healer, Ginny added, “Doesn’t matter that most of us have been nursing far longer than they have been magically doctoring - they’ve all got god complexes. Let’s start rounds and I’ll see you on break”

“Estrella grinned, “Whatever you say head nurse”

***
On her way to lunch, Ginny spotted Leslie, one of the newest staff nurses, crying. “Leslie? What’s wrong?"

Her tear- streaked face turned towards Ginny. “The new Healer, he said I had the IQ of a Hippogriff” ‘sniff’, “said standards in Americas must be quite low to let an idiot like me practice nursing!” She continued to sob, “I wasn’t supposed to remove a patient’s health charm for another 24 hours but I removed it in 12. It said so right in the records. Then the Healer says according to The United States Dept of Medical Magic, it specifically states that a health charm is to be in place for 24 hours. He went on and on ‘bout how I should know better, no matter what the chart said. I’m no seer Ginny. I can’t read that damn Healer’s mind!” ‘sniff’

Handing her more tissues she gave the nurse a comforting pat, “There, there Leslie. I’ll go talk to him.”

Ginny was infuriated. Already this new attending healer had put down two of her staff nurses. As head nurse she would have to have a talk with him about respecting the nursing personnel. “Is he with patient’s?”

Leslie shook her head and pointed to the staff lounge.

Marching to the lounge, she thought of a million things to say to this new Healer. None of them nice. She saw him with his back turned, reading a medical magic journal on the benefits of bubotuber pus as a treatment for skin ailments.

“Excuse me, Healer”

The Healer still hadn’t turned around to acknowledge her. Typical, Ginny thought. These Healers thought they could run the world without nurses, and gods help them if the nurses ever went on strike.

“I’m Ginevra Weasley, head nurse. It’s come to my attention that you have been verbally abusing the nurses here on staff. As head nurse if you have any complaints I suggest you come to me first.”

“Well, well, well,”

The healer rose from his seat and turned to face Ginny.

Ginny couldn’t hide her shocked face.

“Little Weasel all grown up, and her mouth has fallen suit.”

The new healer was Draco Malfoy.
Meet Healer Malfoy by Burgosdamasco
Chapter 2

Ginny knew this day would come. One day their paths would cross again. She had saved his life, and therefore they were bonded. Yet never had she imagined their meeting like this! No- in her imagination she’d be walking down Diagon Alley and some straggly bum would bother her for a few knuts. Being the kindhearted person she was, Ginny would give him a few galleons, only to notice as she dropped it in his tin cup that it was Draco Malfoy. Ginny would be on her way, shaking her head sadly that the years in Azkaban hadn’t fared well for Malfoy.

He was a far, far cry from a straggly bum! Had he gown taller? The black suit underneath his white lab coat probably cost more than her entire nursing education, plus her muggle car payments and rent combined. Damn! She stifled a laugh glancing at his manicured fingernails. Some things never change! His blonde hair was no longer in that horrific gel that she remembered, although it was still kept short and neat. Ginny was trained to perform thorough assessments of the human body in any situation, clothed or unclothed - and assess she did. Draco Malfoy still had the physique of a man who played Quidditch daily.

An inner war raged through Ginny’s head.

Whoa girl – you’re checking out Draco Malfoy.

And why not? I am a grown woman, is this not a normal response? I’m just responding biologically to visual stimuli. In effect, releasing certain hormones that are increasing my desire to run my hands through his hair


Just like a splash of cold water, a warning voice reared its head. Remember the last time you saw him – black robes and Dark Mark?

“Cat got your tongue?,” His eyes crinkled around the edges with laughter as he slowly drawled out Ginny’s name, knowing full well that it would irritate her, “Nurse Weassssley.”

Oh, he was definitely the same prick he’d always been. Ginny berated herself for having indecent thoughts about Malfoy. Her brain cells didn’t deserve to be wasted on slimy gits like him.

It didn’t matter if Draco Malfoy was in a superior position. She was going to tell him exactly what was on her mind. “You’re the last person I would ever suspect of working here. Imagine that - a Malfoy at a free clinic helping the poor! I just might stroke!”

“Is that your idea of a welcome?” He asked with an eyebrow cocked. “ A person with any sort of manners would welcome an old school chum with open arms.”

That’s the best welcome you are going to get! “We could hardly be called chums Malfoy. ”

Draco crossed his arms as he leaned against the table. “Silly me, I thought that as coworkers we could start off on a clean slate.”

“Memories don’t die so quickly…” Ginny struggled to say his name, “H-Healer Malfoy.” She could still picture those badges that read Weasley is Our King. She had so wanted to stuff them up his arse.

“The last time I saw you, let me think -” Draco tapped his fingers to his temple as if in deep concentration, “-I pushed you off your broom during the last Quidditch game of the year. Is that why you hate me Nurse Weasssssley?” again he drew out her last name.

That’s when it hit her. He doesn’t remember! Ginny suppressed a grin. Last time I saw you Malfoy, you were stark naked on a hospital cot, so there! Beat that one Ferret!

He cocked an eyebrow at her, “What, pray tell, is so funny?”

Ginny would get him - she would get him good. “Hmm...” Ginny said mimicking the exact expression Draco had used while tapping her own fingers to her temple,“ The last time I saw you -your face was on a police poster.”

A flash of something dark had crossed his grey eyes. His eyes bore into hers and it took much stamina for her brown eyes to stare right back. Ginny almost felt sorry she had said it. Now she wished for his barbs instead of this awkward silence. When Chief Healer Weiss entered, she felt a momentary sense of relief.

Healer Leah Weiss was the Head Healer in charge of all healthcare personnel at the clinic. This was the person whom Ginny reported to. Ginny respected her passion for medicine and the care of the poor. Her experience encompassed all of wizarding medicine. At 90 she still found time to see patients although her roster was much smaller than the other Healers. Her main job was finding funding for the Free Clinic.

Questions formed in her mind at the sight of Healer Weiss. Ever since laying eyes on Malfoy, she wondered how a Deatheater could end up in a medical facility. It seemed like a horrible oversight. Her fellow healers and nurses may not know the power and fear the name Malfoy stood for. But she did. The memory of her first year sent a slight shudder thorough her. It just seemed too dangerous. There were background checks one had to pass before being admitted to Healer School, not to mention at the various hospitals and clinics. As for Healer Weiss judgement, she would have to trust her.

A wide smile crept across Healer Weiss’s face, “Healer Malfoy, I am so glad to see that you’ve made our Head Nurse’s acquaintance!” Her eyes twinkled in a way that reminded Ginny of Dumbledore’s.

Draco nodded, “Nurse Weasley and I are old friends from Hogwarts.”

Ha! Friends! Ginny cringed at the thought.

“Perfect! I was going to call you into my office Ginny. Since you both are here I might as well let you know the schedule changes.”

Ginny started to feel her stomach twist. Ginny was the one who made the nursing schedule and if Healer Weiss changed it, there was nothing at all she could do.

Healer Weiss walked over to them slowly, grasping onto her cane, “Nurse Ginny is the best nurse in this facility. Your first week here - Healer Malfoy was probably a bit disorienting with a different nurse assigned to you each day. For that I apologize. I want your stay at this clinic to be not only rewarding but comfortable. ……which is why I am assigning Nurse Ginny to work with you permanently. I assure you she will be a great asset. “

Ginny started to protest, “What?? But Healer Weiss - I’ve been working with Healer’s Patel and Chang.”

“I hope I didn’t step on your head nurse duties, Ginny dear. I’ve had Leslie and Estella reassigned to them.”

Ginny forced a smile, “Not at all. I am looking forward to working with Healer Malfoy. I’m sure there is much he can teach me.”

She felt Malfoy’s hot breath in her ear, “You have no idea.”

Ginny elbowed him in his ribs discreetly hoping that Healer Weiss hadn’t noticed.

“It’s settled then. Ginny - after lunch you’ll start working with Healer Malfoy.” She headed for the door. Stopping just before the exit she turned around, her eyes sparkling, “I know that you’ll work together fabulously! My mother was a seer and I happen to have some of her gifts.” With a wink at both of them she departed.

What was that about? Ginny would have to attribute Healer Weiss’s admission to belief in fortune telling to her advanced age.

More tense silence followed that Malfoy thankfully broke, “I never believed in that seer nonsense. I think it’s utter -”

“Bullshit.” Ginny finished sharing her first smile with Malfoy. Healer Weiss was in charge of the entire clinic so she was entitled to believe what she wanted.

“You know Weasley, you’ve improved a lot. You’re actually quite pretty.” His eyes roved up and down the redhead approvingly. She actually made scrubs attractive!

Ginny’s face burned. There she was in baggy scrubs that hid her curves and made her feel rather sexless and unfeminine. To top it off she was wearing scrubs with Mickey Mouse imprinted all over them due to the fact that she had assisted Healer Chang in the Pediatric department. Malfoy was mocking her! How dare he!

“ Malfoy, You are quite a good liar, it's a pity you have no other redeeming qualities.” With that she slammed the door to the staff lounge wishing that there was some spell that would make her lunch hour last forever.
A Stunning Redhead by Burgosdamasco
Chapter 3

As the hands on her wristwatch ticked closer to - “BACK TO WORK”, Ginny investigated Malfoy while sipping her pumpkin juice. Sneaking into the human resources office, Ginny had swiped his file. To her great disappointment, it stated nothing about his release from Azkaban.

What she did find out was that Malfoy had graduated at the top of his class. Numerous letters and awards spoke volumes about Draco Malfoy’s incredible reputation as a healer. His specialty was curing wizards and witches suffering from effects of dark curses. No surprise there. Ginny didn’t doubt once his knowledge of the dark arts.

A stab of guilt hit her, but she cast it aside. I’m doing this for the safety of the clinic! But on the other hand she tried to convince herself that Malfoy had a right to be working alongside her. Malfoy had to go through intense security just to get accepted to Healer school. Then again, Malfoy probably knew enough hexes and curses to remove any obstacles. Ginny shuddered at the thought.

A piece of paper fluttered to the ground. Stooping down to pick it up she immediately recognized the handwriting. The same writing that marred her potions homework with red marks. Snape. It was a 2 page recommendation. Ginny’s eyes grew excited as she skimmed through the letter spotting a mention of Azkaban. Up until that point it had been nothing but praise for Malfoy’s abilities in the healing sciences. Ginny was about to settle herself in a comfortable chair when a screaming voice emitted from her watch. “Get to work ! Get to work! Before your boss goes berserk!”

Stuffing the letter in her pocket, she threw his file back in the cabinet. Sprinting down the hallways, Ginny knew she must be a sight, her hair becoming undone. Ginny tried to fix it, but it wouldn’t cooperate as she raced to make up for her lateness.

Rounding the corner she silently crept to the nursing station. She said her hellos to the medical record clerks and greeted Estella with a smile. Estella didn’t greet hers as she looked at something or rather someone behind Ginny and nervously dropped her gaze. Ginny spun around to look into the steely grey eyes of Draco Malfoy. His arms were crossed and he did not look pleased.

“What time do you call this?”

Ginny looked at her watch that had thankfully stopped its dreadful wailing. “It’s 1:15.” .

“And you’re supposed to start at what time?” Draco’s mouth was shut in a disapproving line. He had to show her who was in charge and it definitely wasn’t going to be the nurse.

Ginny was acutely aware of how she must look. She felt hot, sweaty, and breathless, her hair in disarray . “1:00.” She could feel his eyes again raking her from head to foot, taking in the disastrous mess.

“If we are to be working together Nurse Weasley, I happen to have a few rules that I expect you to follow.”

Great! Now he’s getting all Slytherin Prefect on me. What are you going to do Malfoy? Take points away?

His clipped tone sounded very much like Snape’s. “I expect you to look professional at all times, instead of running around here distracting everyone.” Draco straightened his tie. Anything to calm the surprising itch that ran the length of his fingers - fingers that itched to get lost in that mane of red hair. Draco wasn’t going to deny that she was attractive but at the same time he wasn’t going to forget he was at work either. Draco reminded himself that he had worked too long and hard to get to where he was at today. There were simple rules one had to adhere to, and she would follow them.

“Don’t talk to me about professional Malfoy!” Ginny hadn’t realized that all eyes were on her and the new Healer. “You’re the one who insulted me back in the staff lounge. That wasn’t very professional!”

Draco ignored her outburst and continued in such a calm voice that it infuriated Ginny, “As for lateness it is not condoned. As Head Nurse you need to lead by example.”

Ginny felt a slew of words her mother told her never to utter on the tip of her tongue. How dare he chastise her in front of the staff?

“Do you understand Nurse Weaaaasley?” Draco couldn’t help it, for all the growing and maturing he had done in the last 5 years, teasing a Weasley had always been a guilty pleasure. Was it immature? Did he enjoy the rise it got out of her- he’d have to answer yes.

Ginny refused to answer him .Draco did it again. He said her name in that gods-awful drawl of his that made her want to put a foot in his pale butt. Or at least that’s how she remembered it.

“Can you hear me?”

Ginny turned away from him casually picking up a patient’s chart. She was acting like he wasn’t there and Draco did not like it. Not one bit. She was already undermining his authority in front of curious eyes.

“I'm not hard of hearing Malfoy, I'm just ignoring you.” she said coolly as she leafed through the chart.

Just like he remembered her, she still had no sense of respect towards her superiors. Ginny’s attitude reminded him of her irritating brothers. “I worked hard for my title Nurse Weasley. I expect you to call me Healer Malfoy at all times.”

“All that Death Eater money come in handy then? Got a free ride to Healer school did you? ” Insert foot in mouth, why don’t you Gin!

Estella was still busy pretending to read the charts, exchanging surprised glances with the other staff milling about the nurses station.

A fresh start. That’s all I wanted and I’m not bloody likely to get it! Draco’s voice was like ice, “ I believe we have patients Nurse Weasley.” He walked away from her politely nodding to the other nurses who hesitantly wished him a - “Good Afternoon Healer.”

Estella grabbed her arm before she headed off to attend to patients. “Is it true. Was he really a,a Death Eater?”

Ginny didn’t know what to say. Should she lie and say no? The whole of Wizarding Britain knew that Draco Malfoy was a Death Eater. After the war, his picture was plastered on almost every page of the Daily Prophet as he was lead away in shame to Azkaban.

America was different. As far as Ginny could tell, no one had a clue who Malfoy was. When Ginny lived in Britain, even she knew the name of America’s Minister of Magic. One would be hard pressed in the states to find someone who knew who Britain’s Minister Of Magic was. Ginny of course knew, for the Minister Of Magic was her father - Arthur Weasley.

“You’ve seen him at work Estella. Does he act like a Death Eater?”

Estella looked towards the corridor. Ginny’s eyes followed Draco as he knelt down in deep conversation with a wheelchair bound wizard. “I would have to say no Ginny. The patients love him.”

“Then that answers your question.” And mine.

***
Though the air was thick with tension Ginny and Draco worked alongside together, only speaking when it concerned patient issues.

The afternoon had been busy, filled with the mundane to the utterly insane. Many cases walked though the door including a wizard with dragon pox, a witch with nasty 2nd degree cauldron burns on her arms and a hysterical teenager who had been hexed with the largest and most unsightly pimples Ginny had ever seen. Draco had been able to calm her down in a matter of seconds.

Ginny was applying bubotubor cream to the teenager’s face that Draco had prescribed. In a matter of minutes the pimples had disappeared leaving a fresh faced young woman behind. Ginny raised a mirror to the girl’s face letting her observe a now flawless complexion. “What do you think Tabitha?”

The girl was pleased. Tabitha now looked better than she had before she was hexed. “Thank you! Thank you so much!” She jumped off the patient table and surprised Draco by giving him a hug.

“You’re quite welcome young lady.” Draco said, gently removing arms that were choking his neck.

Tabitha stepped shyly away from Draco. She shuffled her feet looking towards the ground. “Th-there’s one other thing I need your help with, Healer.

“I’d be delighted to be of assistance. What do you need? A prescription, a referral,” Draco said, already scribbling away at his patient notes.

“Can you get rid of my freckles?”

Looking at the redheaded young woman, Ginny couldn’t help but be reminded of herself. She once had the same concerns. At a young age she had come to hate her freckles and had wished them gone. Waiting for Draco’s answer, she could feel her temper rising. Had she been the healer she would tell Tabitha that they made her unique and different. But Ginny wasn’t the healer. She took a deep breath , trying to calm herself before sending hexes Malfoy’s way.

“Now why would I do that?” Draco said, pushing the parchment away that he’d been writing on, and studied the 16 year old redhead intently.

Tabitha bit her lip, “There’s this boy I like. Terrance Dixon. He’s Quidditch captain at my school. I – I really like him but he makes fun of my red hair and freckles. I can’t get rid of this red hair no matter how many hair charms I try... but I- I heard there is a spell for freckles.”

“Does this Terrance Dixon fellow wear glasses?” Draco asked trying to get the teenager to look at him.

“Um,no.” Tabitha answered with a confused expression, wondering what Terrance’s vision had to do with the topic at hand.

Draco’s voice was matter-of –fact, “My diagnosis concerning Terrance Dixon is that he’s blind. He doesn’t catch the snitch either, am I right?”

Tabitha looked up at him holding back a laugh, “ Terrance does have a hard time catching the snitch, he’s always falling off his broom. In an odd sort of way it’s rather cute. I- I want him to think I ‘m cute.”

Draco brought up Tabitha’s chin looking directly into her eyes. “Darling, you’re beautiful.” He said with so much sincerity Ginny almost dropped the mirror she still held. “I’m positive that Terrance is madly in love with you right now. You have to understand that he’s a 16 year old, and much too immature to show it.”

The teenager’s smile brightened, “You really think I’m beautiful?”

Draco winked when he caught Ginny’s eyes, “Redheads are more than beautiful, they’re absolutely stunning.”

Ginny decided just then, that she wouldn’t hex Malfoy, at least not today.
Blind Date by Burgosdamasco
Chapter 4

Redheads are absolutely stunning.” Malfoy’s words kept running through her brain. It made working with Malfoy a tad bit easier the rest of the day. As she punched out at the end of her shift she smiled inwardly, Malfoy was turning out not to be the person she expected.

Before she exited she felt a tap on her shoulder. “Your roommate just popped in the staff fireplace. Says its urgent.” Estella had a goofy grin as if she was in on what this urgency might entail. Ginny raised suspicious eyebrows at Estella who only wished her a good time. “Tell me all the details on Monday!”

Ginny walked over to the staff room fireplace wondering what trouble her friend Regine was in now. Her roommate Regine was engaged to a healer Ginny herself had introduced. As the wedding loomed closer, so did Regine’s worrying.

Last time they talked, Regine had fretted about an extra 10 pounds she had gained, wondering if she would ever fit into her dress. Ginny had taken her on nightly runs to keep her in shape. It was her duty as the maid of honor to do that sort of thing. A previous time she had worried over whether she had chosen the wrong color theme. Before that, Regine was in hysterics about what to paint the color of her nails for the wedding.

It was already giving Ginny a massive headache, although she would never let the bride know. Ginny vowed to herself that she would never get married if this much trouble went into the planning. Regine saw her as an expert in all sorts of marriage issues. That couldn’t be further from the truth. Hadn’t she called off her own marriage to the boy who lived? Of course, that had nothing at all to do with the wedding preparations. If anything, planning her wedding made her realize she wasn’t ready to make the final step that would forever tie her to another person.

“I,um -” Regine bit her lip. For the first time Ginny observed her friend tongue tied.

“Spit it out Regine, I’m supposed to play a Quidditch game this afternoon, I’ll be late.” Ginny couldn’t wait to be in the air again. It was Cook County Wizard’s Preventive Care Clinic versus Lake Michigan Rehabilitation Center for Magical Beast Injuries. They were going to crush them once again and send them flying off their brooms to have a little rehabilitation of their own. Ginny was nodding her head not realizing she wasn’t listening to a word Regine was saying.

“So you’ll do it?” came the bobbing head from the fireplace.

Ginny was taken out of her daydreams of hurtling the snitch straight through the quaffle. She wondered how many people knew she had been drafted out of Hogwarts to play professional Quidditch. War changed a lot of things, including her perspective on what was important. Regine probably wanted her to deal with wedding related issues. At this particular moment, that was what was of importance. As her maid of honor Ginny sighed before saying, “Yes, but can you remind me again what I have to do?”

The horror didn’t fully dawn on her until she realized what she had said yes to. First Estella with her interfering ways, now her own roommate. The words barely registered in her mind. “Philip has 2 tickets to the Weird Sister’s Reunion Concert in Grant Park. He’s on call tonight and I have this terrible cold. Phillip thought it would be such a waste not to use the tickets. Phillip has a friend who just moved here and he doesn’t know anyone.

She was once again being set up on a blind date. This time bride to be or no bride to be, Ginny was going to set her foot down on Regine’s overbearing ways. “ No Regine! Absolutely not.”

“You must be pretty upset at me right now?”

Damn right I’m upset. “I have a Quidditch game tonight and-" Ginny was pulling teeth with her next excuse, “- I thought I might pull a double shift.”

Regine cut her off, “I don’t buy it Gin. C’mon please! Philip doesn’t want his friend to be lonely, besides I am simply returning the favor.”

Ok. So Regine had a point. Just a year ago today she had found Regine heartbroken in their apartment, having just been dumped by her boyfriend Eric. Ginny had always thought him a jerk, telling her what she could and could not wear among an assortment of other things. He had called her ugly and a waste of his time. Which in Ginny’s mind couldn’t be further from the truth.

Regine came from a long line of ancient Filipina witches. Ginny wondered why she didn’t hex him on the spot, for spouting such hateful and untrue words. With her long black hair, brown skin and almond eyes Ginny felt rather plain by comparison. Finding another man shouldn’t have been a problem for her at all. Unfortunately the abusive relationship had taken its toll on Regine. It had been up to Ginny to once again play mother hen. She had decided to introduce one of the healers that she had met playing in the hospital Quidditch League. Ginny had to give herself a pat on the back for the relationship working out so well. Although she gathered, they deserved some credit too. Being able to read people was her specialty. The gift came naturally to her. Ginny just wished it worked with everyone, especially a certain blond.

“Fine, but just this once. No more of your dating schemes. I am quite capable of finding my own man thank you very much. I’ll floo over there in a minute.”

With that Regine’s head disapperead. Ginny grabbed some floo powder and was about to cast it into the hearth when she heard the very distinct voice of Malfoy behind her. It lacked the sweetness it had held earlier and sounded very much like the Malfoy of old. Maybe he hadn’t changed at all. Probably wanted a few insults in before she left work. Sad really, he’s never grown up. Ginny turned around to face him not expecting to be met with an angry gaze.

“Dropped this Weasley.” He threw a piece of paper at Ginny that bounced off her chest and landed at her feet.

Before Ginny could protest, Malfoy held a finger in front of her lips. His fingers were quite feminine but oddly attractive on Malfoy. Ginny had to shake her head to clear the thoughts of Malfoy’s fingers touching her.

“Any questions you have I suggest you ask me. Didn’t know you’d stoop to sneaking around trying to get rid of me. Really Weasley I thought you had brains hidden underneath that carrot top of yours.”

Her face burned thinking of the naughty thoughts that had filled her mind earlier. Why was she even letting him in her fantasies when all he wanted to do was berate her? All that talk about stunning redheads was just that – talk. “How dare you,you albino!” Ginny gave him a rough shove wanting him to move out of her way but he wouldn’t budge. Malfoy was now blocking her way to the fireplace.

“Out of my way Malfoy!” That didn’t work. She’d try the nice approach, “Out of my way Healer Malfoy!” It was useless. Draco had locked her in with his gaze. Ginny couldn’t move even if she wanted to. A strange sense of déjà vu struck her. She was back in 4th year and Draco had pinned her to the wall. Only in that instance she had caught him unawares and hexed him. It was too bad that hexes were forbidden on hospital property because she really needed to be rid of Malfoy. Ginny slowly bent down to retrieve the paper that had almost given her a paper cut and realized to her horror what it was she had dropped. Snape’s note with his mention of Malfoy’s Azkaban imprisonment.

“If it was in my personnel file, don’t you think the clinic already knows my history? Do you really think that if I was a threat to you, they would let me get within 100 miles of Britain’s Minister of Magic’s precious daughter?”

Why should she feel guilty? He knew that she was quite aware of his history as a death eater. Ginny was just protecting herself and the people she cared about, wasn’t she? Merlin only knew what Malfoy had done before she had ripped off that mask of his many years ago. Standing, she straightened her shoulders and cleared her throat, “I –I had to know if I could trust you.”

His voice was quiet, yet held an undertone of cold contempt, “Are you afraid of me Nurse Weasley?”

Afraid? Ginny definatley felt something. Was it fear that made her stomach give a funny lurch as he stood not even a centimeter away from her? Yes, perhaps Malfoy was correct.

“I take your silence as a yes.” Draco nodded and headed for the door his voice suddenly becoming quiet, “I’ll look into having you reassigned with another healer, someone you can trust.”

Ginny’s eyes followed Draco as he left the door swinging behind him. Staring at the crumpled letter she placed it back into her pocket. She would read it another day when she didn’t feel so awful. Ginny shook her head. Why should she feel bad for making Draco Malfoy angry? Malfoy was the one who sported the dark mark, not her.

Tonight she wouldn’t let Malfoy invade her thoughts any longer. She would have fun on her blind date. Phillip and Regine would only introduce her to the best. So she needn’t worry about dating a frog. Not that she based potential dates on looks. But it would definitely help.

***
“What do you mean you haven’t met him?” Ginny snapped as Regine helped her take the curlers out of her hair.

“You have lovely hair, do you know that Gin? Red hair is all the rage right now.” Regine continued to unroll the curlers, carefully applying hair spray to the appropriate places and completely ignoring Ginny.

Ginny felt the infamous Weasley temper start to surface. Take a deep breath Ginny, take a deep breath.

They both jumped when the doorbell rang, “I’ll get it.” Regine did the finishing touches on Ginny’s hair before remarking, “Beautiful, just beautiful!” She clapped her hands together admiring her handiwork before running out to get the door.

Ginny heard a multitude of voices. One of them had to be him. Her blind date. Ginny crossed her fingers hoping that Philip had sent her a prince. Tonight she had plans to be shallow. She wasn’t looking for a husband even though that was probably Philip and Regine’s intention. No doubt they had been heavily influenced by Ron and Hermione’s constant badgering about how she should settle down. This date she would enjoy herself. Perhaps even get a good snog out of it, but he better be a looker.

Regine walked in with Philip in tow. Ginny was beginning to believe that she had been had. They had probably been planning this for months. “I thought you said he was working on call tonight!”

“Change of plans.” Regine said sheepishly as she started to apply eyeshadow to her friends face. Growing up with brothers Ginny had never been used to the feminine art of makeup. She was more apt to wear mud from a pickup Quidditch game than she was to wear lipstick. Usually when Regine would try to get Ginny to wear makeup, her response was to shoo Regine away. For once, Ginny was grateful for the fuss her roommate was making over her appearance.

“He’s gorgeous Gin. If I wasn’t engaged to Philip,I’d jump him right now!” Regine received a playful nudge from Philip. “I’m joking honey.” She said soothingly, but whispered into Gin’s ear, “I’m not!”

Things were sounding promising. One night stands weren’t her thing but she was open to having her other needs met. Maybe she would get that snog after all. “So how do I look?” Ginny said as she modeled her green fitted dress with a plunging neckline that showed off one of her best assets.

“If I may have my turn,” Philip eyes sparkled as he stared at Ginny, “If I find out he didn’t spend the night with you, I will have to finally admit that he’s gay.”

Ginny rolled her eyes, “You’re joking.”

“He’s not!” Regine whispered in her ear.

“What’s he like?” Ginny asked as she put in her dangling earrings. She prayed to the gods that he didn’t have a butterbeer belly.

“Sort of reserved, but charming. Did I mention good looking? Because we girls know that’s what counts!”

Ginny perked up and shared a laugh with Regine as Philip groaned, “Is that all you ladies think about?”

Taking a deep breath Ginny followed Philip and Regine into the living room.

“This is Ginny Weasley, a very dear friend of me and my fiancée.”

As their eyes met, she felt a shock run through her. Her mouth dropped open and his expression mirrored the same. The roses he held almost falling from his hands. Philip and Regine hadn’t let her down. Attractive? Most definitely - just like her roommate had said. But why oh why did he have to be Draco Malfoy!
Mixed Signals by Burgosdamasco
Chapter 5

Fate was playing games with her. What had she ever done to deserve this? Hadn’t she been a good girl throughout Hogwarts, not counting that disastrous first year when she almost ridded the school of muggles. Didn’t Ginny more than make up for it?

I save lives everyday, I donate to SPEW. I’m a decorated member of Dumbledore’s Army.

Had it been someone else in her position she would have died laughing. Draco Malfoy on a blind date! That truly takes the cake! Didn’t know he had such problems finding a woman! Back at dear old Hogwarts, Draco had quite the reputation with the ladies. Never did she think he’d have problems in the girlfriend department. Now that she thought of it, he wasn’t the most pleasant person to be around. Perhaps he did need help finding a date.

“Ginny this is Draco Malfoy, we interned together at Durmstrang Hospital." Obviously Philip wasn’t aware of the growing tension slowly building in the room.

Keep calm. It’s only Draco Malfoy. OH NO!IT’S DRACO BLOODY MALFOY!

Calling upon all her Gryffindor strength and bravery Ginny put forth the best smile she could muster while holding out her hand. “How do you do?” The look on Draco Malfoy’s face was of absolute mortification. Really, did it disgust him to have to spend the evening with her? Free tickets to the Weird Sisters reunion concert. Whether he wanted to or not, Ginny would make the best of it.

Ginny felt long fingers wrap around her hand. It surprised her when Draco brought his lips to her hand. Draco’s icy grey gaze never leaving Ginny’s face. “Pleasure to meet you Miss Weasley.” Ginny knew his little gentleman act was just that- an act. Unlike Regine and Philip –she would not be fooled.

Philip patted Draco on the back, “Always so formal Draco! Just call her Ginny or Gin or as we like to call her Devil on a broomstick. Her clinic’s Quidditch team has beaten us five years straight. We’ve been trying to get her to leave that free clinic for a position at Illinois Magical’s E.R. just so she can play on our hospital quidditch team. If I’m not mistaken Draco, you’ll be starting at the same clinic sometime next month?”

If only they knew, Ginny thought.

Regine clapped her hands as if this was the greatest thing since the invention of the broom. “Isn’t this great Gin! You two will have a headstart getting to know each other!”

Philip seemed thrilled at the fact that Ginny and Draco would be working together. “Draco’s an amazing seeker. With him on your team it would be very unfair. I’ll throw in the towel this instant! You two would be unstoppable!”

Ginny had to stifle the urge to scream at such an absurd idea. A Weasley and Malfoy on the same team? Ha! Hell would freeze over first.

Shivering at the thought Ginny was suddenly overcome by the scent of roses as Draco handed her the bouquet. It was lovely. Or at least it would have been if she had received it from someone else.

“For you Ginny, I just wish they had told me how beautiful you were so that I could have brought something more befitting.”

Ok, Ginny wanted to vomit. Did Malfoy have to try so damn hard that it just proved how fake his actions were? Did Regine have to sigh as if that was the most romantic declaration she had ever heard? That was a line if ever she heard one.

Two could play that game.

“ You are much too kind.Thank you,Draco.” It sounded surprisingly sexy as it rolled off her tongue. Much better than Malfoy. “I-I think I’ll go put these in water. I’ll be back.”

Ginny turned towards the kitchen with Regine at her heels. Just what was the man trying to pull. Beautiful? She knew she was pretty but it was obvious Malfoy didn’t see her in that light, he was making fun of her yet again. In front of her friends no less.

Ginny placed the roses in a vase that automatically filled with water. Regine’s voice yapped irritatingly in her ear, “Did you see the way he looked at you? That’s the same way Philip looked at me the moment we met.”

Ginny rolled her eyes at her roommate, “Pray tell what look is that?”

Regine chuckled, “Desire my friend. This Draco Malfoy fellow desires you.”

“May I suggest glasses then Regine? He looks absolutely frightened at the prospect of taking me out on the town.”

“You’re the one who has vision problems. Probably been knocked off that quidditch broom a few times. I’m telling you he wants to get inside -what do you Brits call it -your knickers. Besides, the reason he looked so scared is because I caught him looking where your head ought not to be. If you hadn’t left the room he would’ve started drooling all over your new Prada shoes! ”

Ginny was aghast. That pervert. But she couldn’t help as a smile played across her lips. This specific dress was bought for the sole purpose of drawing attention to that particular area. Years of growing up in the Weasley household taught her the value of strectching money. Dropping almost $300 on the dress made her feel incredibly guilty. At this very moment, Ginny didn’t mind so much. It worked!

Could she really blame him for looking? Blazing mad is what she should be. For some odd reason it made her particularly smug to know that she had that effect on him.

“It’s my job as a friend to notice these things. He spent a good minute just staring at your breasts. Although I’m glad Philip made such a good match I still want him to like you for your mind as well as your, ahem - other assets.”

Inner voices started to resurface.

Freckle faced twit. Weasel. Mudblood-lover.

Malfoy couldn’t have found her attractive. All those horrid names from the past that Malfoy had called her started to resurface. Why should I care what Malfoy thinks? Do I really want him to find me irresistible? Ginny had to admit the answer was yes. Chalk that up to my female ego.

Was there any way she could back out of this? Could she pretend to be suffering some type of ailment? No, Regine would see right through it and Ginny would have to explain why she felt so uncomfortable around Malfoy. The past was something that she didn’t want to deal with on a Friday night.

That left only one option.

Voldemort had possessed her and Ginny had come out of it alive. She had been in the midst of the bloodiest wizard war in centuries. Surely one could survive a date with Draco Malfoy unscathed.

Suck it up and drive on Gin, you’ve dealt with Death Eaters before.

“Don’t look so nervous Gin!”

“I’m not.” Ginny lied more so to herself than her roommate.

Regine smiled assuredly, “Don’t fret. He likes you Ginny.” She pulled out a bottle of chilled wine from the fridge, pouring a glass for her and the redhead who was pacing the kitchen floor.

Like wasn’t the word. Malfoy hated her. Were her friends that blind that they couldn’t see it? Reaching for the glass Ginny drained it immediately. Ready or not Draco Malfoy here I come.

***

“Figures they’d do their girl talk.” Philip joked watching Regine and Ginny head to the kitchen. Philip patted his friend on the back noting his usually reserved friend’s changed demeanor. “Don’t look so tense Draco.”

What else could he be?

What he needed was a glass of firewhiskey! No- a glass wouldn’t do. What wouldn’t he do for a few kegs of firewhiskey ! Draco wasn’t a drinker. Always stayed away from the stuff. Clouded your mind and left you open to influences and without control. Although there were things other than alcohol that accomplished the same. That’s one aspect of his life he never wanted to revisit.

Ginny Weasley of all people was his blind date. Of all the billions of people on this green earth, it had to be her. Someone up above had to be laughing at him. He thought he was paying his dues now for all the despicable things he had done in the past. Was this more punishment from the Ministry? If so, he was more than willing to take it.

Oh Sweet Morgana,she was walking back in the room with that tight dress on that left nothing to his imagination. Nothing at all. Why was he imagining what she’d look like sprawled on his bed? It’s because I haven’t been with a woman in years, That’s it. That has to be it! he told himself.

Can’t think of Weasley that way. She’s Philip’s friend, my coworker. It’s not like we get along either.

Damn that dress and damn that flaming red hair.


Draco had dreamt of the pretty red haired Weasley the whole year he had been imprisoned in Azkaban. The dream had confused him. He had detested her in Hogwarts, yet his mind couldn’t stop thinking about her. He barely talked to her except for the occasional run in with Potter in which she was always close behind. It would have made more sense for him to dream of a Slytherin girl. Draco came to accept that the mind worked in mysterious ways and not everything could be explained. The dreams came less frequently but they were always bubbling at the surface.

Putting on his most charming smile, he held out his hand for Ginny. “Shall we take our leave?”

Ginny looked as if she was making a decision which put Draco on edge even further. Great. He couldn’t believe a Weasley was going to make a fool out of him in front of Philip and his fiancé. Just what he needed. Relief and a bit of surprise surged through him as she twined her arms through his, “We shall.”

“You two don’t do anything we wouldn’t!” Philip joked as he opened the door for the couple.

Not to worry Philip,the woman hates me.

Philip’s better half wouldn’t let them leave without adding her two cents. Couldn’t Philip’s fiancé see that he wanted to get this embarrassing situation over with as soon as possible? “On second thought -don’t forget to shag goodnight!” Regine said enthusiastically.

The last thing Draco heard as the door closed was Philip correcting his fiancee’s British terminology, “It’s snog not shag!”

Why did this Regine woman have to open her mouth and make things even more awkward than they already were! Draco shared a blush with Ginny. How a woman as intelligent as Ginny ended up with brainless friends was beyond his comprehension.

Doing a bit more than snogging was exactly what ran through his mind although he desperately tried to shake it. In her scrubs she had been so deliciously cute. His little nurse fantasies had been running on overdrive since he first saw Weasley. With that dress she was barely wearing which ought to be illegal, his impure thoughts were out of control.

“Is this your idea of a date Malfoy, hanging out in the hallway?” Ginny snapped at him withdrawing herself from his arms. Walking quickly down the corridor she headed toward the apartment building’s exit.

Draco cursed himself under his breath while watching her hips sway so very tantalizingly. How long had he been staring at her? Most importantly could he stop? All the coolness and calmness that was associated with the Malfoy character was thrown right out the window the minute the fiery redhead entered the scene. Ginny Weasley hated him. Could he really blame her? He had been a complete terror to her at Hogwarts and although he tried to get along with her at work it had somehow ended up badly.

Now he had to spend an entire evening with a woman who would love to see his soul get sucked by dementors. Draco sighed as he followed Weasley through the revolving doors. This was going to be one long night.
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=477