Getting Lucky by CCC
Summary: When Ginny wins a bottle of Felix Felicis strange things happen. (This is set in Hogwarts era, but it's AU. We'll assume Slughorn still works there.)
Categories: Works in Progress Characters: Draco Malfoy, Ginny Weasley
Compliant with: GoF and below
Era: Hogwarts-era
Genres: Humor
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 20261 Read: 67563 Published: Mar 18, 2009 Updated: Mar 13, 2010
Chapter 6 by CCC
She watched as he shifted into dragon form. It was a much smoother process than she’d witnessed in the Great Hall. He stepped toward her and looked at her expectantly. When she did nothing, he puffed out his chest.

“Right.” She reached up to scratch him. The rumbling purr she remembered reverberated through his body. His eyes closed in an expression of pure bliss. When she stopped scratching he opened one eye.

“My dragon,” she teased.

He brought his tail around and pushed her toward his chest. She laughed and scratched some more. It would be nice if she could communicate with him when he was like this. There must be some sort of spell. Maybe Hermione could figure it out.

“What are you thinking?” she asked him.

He backed up and then crouched low to the ground. Understanding his intentions, she climbed on top of him, held onto his neck and wrapped her legs around his back. Without any warning, he pushed off into the air and took flight.

She shrieked in an undignified manner, and then whooped with joy as the landscape zoomed by underneath them. This was nothing like flying on a broom. On a broom she always had to be in control. Up here he was in control, and all she had to do was cling to him and marvel at the sensation of his muscle and bulk moving effortlessly beneath her.

He flew over the top of the castle and then circled the lake. Everywhere she looked, Ginny saw people pointing or waving at her. Pansy waved at her with one finger. Ginny chose not to respond. She’d be hacked off too if someone stepped in and snatched the bloke she liked.

After half an hour, Draco slowed and landed near the entrance to the castle. As gracefully as she could manage, she climbed off his back. Her legs ached from the exertion. Once she was standing on her own two feet, he shifted into his human form.

Harry and Hermione strolled over to greet them. Draco started to step in front of Ginny to block her friends’ access.

“They’re just friends,” she told him as she squeezed his hand.

Harry stopped a few feet away and said, “Who knew Malfoy was so insecure.”

“I don’t like the way you smell,” Draco stated with absolute sincerity.

“I showered this morning,” Harry protested.

Hermione laughed. “You probably release pheromones when you’re around Ginny.”

“I do not.”

“It’s not intentional,” Hermione explained. “It’s biology.” She took a step towards Draco. “Could you smell Ron sometime for me? I’d like to know if I have a shot, and Harry has been less than helpful.”

“I’ve told you I don’t want to be the go between for you two. It’s too awkward,” Harry stated.

“Tell Ron to grow a pair and ask Hermione out on a date,” Ginny suggested.

“A pair of what?” Hermione asked.

Ginny and Draco laughed.

Harry crossed his arms and glared at Ginny. “I’m not telling her. You brought it up, so it’s your job.”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “Fine. What’s the one thing men have a pair of that we don’t?”

“Oh, I get it.” Hermione blushed.

Draco yawned. “Let’s go inside. I’m tired.” He led her into the castle not bothering to discuss where they were going.

Soon she realized he was headed for the Slytherin Common Room.

She dug her heels in and said, “Stop.”

He turned to her with a confused look on his face.

“I can’t go into your Common Room.”

“Why?”

She couldn’t very well say that she was afraid he’d take her into enemy territory and then turn back into an evil arse. She played with his tie to distract him while she thought. “ How can I put this? I’m not in your house. Your friends don’t like me. Up until this morning, you didn’t like me.”

“That’s not true. I’ve always been drawn to you.”

“You didn’t have a nice way of showing it,” she pointed out. “Whenever we came in contact you did your best to humiliate me.”

Draco clasped her hands between his larger hands. “I’m not the same person who was mean to you. He’s gone. He won’t be coming back.”

She’d love to believe that. Keeping all the benefits of the hormonal rush with none of the pain in the arse attitude seemed too good to be true. “How do you know?”

One corner of his mouth turned up. “Because I said so, and I’m always right.”

There was some of that attitude now. She rolled her eyes. “Of course you are. You’re a Malfoy.”

“I’m glad you understand.” He put his arm around her shoulders and propelled her forward.

“That was sarcasm,” she told him.

He chuckled but didn’t say anything more. When they reached the staircase, which would lead them to the dungeons, Ginny balked. “I can’t go to your room.”

“Why?”

“For starters, people would talk. Then there’s the fact that I don’t plan on sharing a bed with anyone but my husband.”

“Since we’ll marry that isn’t an issue,” Draco stated.

His absolute certainty about their situation was bizarre and a tad bit creepy. She took a deep breath and decided to go along with his logic for now. “If things go well, we could marry in the future. Right now, we’re still in school. We aren’t married. We just started dating.” None of her arguments seemed to be sinking in. She tried a different tact. “Do you want people to think well of me?”

“Yes.”

“If I’m seen entering your room, even if it’s just to take a nap, people will say rude things about me.”

His expression changed. “That is unacceptable.”

Relief coursed through her system. “Good. I’m glad you understand.”

He stared off into space. She tried to get a read on his emotions, but his gray eyes gave nothing away. “Why don’t we separate for now, and meet up later?”

He shook his head. “That doesn’t work for me.”

While she enjoyed the adoration, she wasn’t about to let him tell her what to do. “Draco, I’m glad you like my company, but we can’t be together all the time.”

“But you’re mine,” he protested.

Hands on her hips, she took a deep breath and then blew it out. “I’m not finding that statement as charming as I did this morning. We are together right now because we both want it.”

“Isn’t that what I said?”

It wasn’t worth arguing over. She yawned. “I want to take a nap.”

“I believe that was my intention from the start,” he reminded her. “The question is where can we take a nap together?”

“I think the school frowns on male and female students napping together,” she pointed out.

His eyes lit up. “I’ve got it.”

“Where are we going?” she asked as he led her up several staircases.

“It’s a surprise.”

Cool air flowed through the hallway. Ginny shivered. “We should have brought blankets.”

“You don’t need a blanket,” he told her. “You have me.” They came upon double wooden doors. Draco opened them and said, “This is perfect.”

The large drafty room seemed far from perfect. Furniture covered in sheets and piles of boxes littered the space. She was distracted from her contemplation of the room when Draco pressed his lips against hers. Following his lead, she threaded her hands through his silky hair. His left hand cupped the base of her skull while his right hand grasped her waist.

Heat soared through her body as his mouth moved over hers. She remembered why she was putting up with his odd behavior. When he pulled away from her, it took her a moment to remember where they were.

“Sorry, that was supposed to be a goodnight kiss.” He smirked. “I got carried away.”

She tried to speak, but ended up squeaking. After clearing her throat, she said, “That’s all right.”

His eyes darkened. “I don’t feel tired anymore. Do you?”

“Yes,” she lied.

He moved his mouth and nipped at the sensitive skin just below her ear. Liquid heat flowed through her body. “Are you sure?” he asked.

It took great willpower to step away from him. “Sorry. I want a nap.”

He looked disappointed, but he didn’t argue. “I suppose that is why we came to this room.”

“Why did you choose this room?” she asked.

His form shimmered and shifted until the dragon stood in front of her. He turned around in a clockwise circle three times, like a cat getting ready to sleep. Once he was curled up on the floor, he tilted his head and looked at her.

It would probably be easier on her hormones if they napped in this manner. She would still feel warm and protected, but wouldn’t have to worry about fending off romantic advances. Climbing over his tail, she settled against his warm bulk. It was second nature now to reach up and scratch his chest. His rumbling purr acted like a lullaby.

Ginny dreamt she was riding on the dragon’s back as he flew around the campus. For no reason, he shifted midair. She plummeted toward the earth while he laughed. Just before she hit the hard ground, he yelled, “You knew this wouldn’t last.”

She woke with a start. It took her a moment to get her bearings. The dream had seemed so real. Wanting some sort of affirmation, she scratched the dragon’s chest. His eyes slowly opened.

“Change back,” she requested.

The dragon’s jaws opened wide in a huge yawn. Then he shifted back.

“What’s wrong?”

“I had a bad dream.” She laid her head on his chest and wrapped her arms around him. His arms wrapping around her felt reassuring.

“What did you dream about?”

She wasn’t about to tell him he starred in her nightmare. “I dreamt I was falling. I knew when I hit the ground I would die.”

“That would never happen in real life, because I’ll always be around.” He pulled away from her and leaned down to brush his lips across her cheek. “You’re mine. Now that I have you I’ll never let you go.” His voice took on a cold edge. “I’d kill anyone who tried to come between us.”
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=6387