Altered by ReverseBeauty
Summary: Someone stole Draco's memories of the time he spent with Ginny years ago, and he's determined to get them back.
Categories: Works in Progress Characters: Blaise Zabini (boy), Draco Malfoy, Ginny Weasley, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, Pansy Parkinson
Compliant with: Fully compliant
Era: Post-Hogwarts
Genres: Drama, Mystery, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 15229 Read: 15724 Published: Aug 13, 2016 Updated: Jan 10, 2019
Chapter 9 by ReverseBeauty
He dropped his hand and glared at her. He'd never been hit before, not even by his father, and everyone knew how much Lucius Malfoy enjoyed causing other people pain. But he never laid a hair on his son, no matter how angry he was.

"Jesus Christ," he snapped. "Why did you hit me?"

"Because you weren't listening," she said angrily. "Goddammit. I told you I wasn't lying to you, Draco. It's not my fault you're being stubborn and won't believe me. I've been nothing but honest with you."

"Is that so?" he asked, a scowl forming on his face. "Well, that's interesting. Because I've just had a conversaion with Blaise and he told me a little story about you. I already know what you've done, Ginny. So, please don't stand there and lie to me again."

She frowned at him, her eyes narrowed. "What did he tell you?"

His smile was hard. "Just that you were going to erase my memories, but someone beat you to it. You should have told me."

"How the hell was I supposed to tell you something like that?" she demanded. "You would have been furious."

He looked at her, his gray eyes soft. At that moment, he wanted to touch her, to hold her close, to tell her everything was going to be okay. They would work things out. They had to. So, instead of speaking, he closed his eyes and sighed, trying to gather his thoughts.

"You wanted to do it, but you didn't. That means something." He opened his eyes and stared down at her, moving close until he could smell her lavender scented perfume.

Ginny shut her eyes, and when his fingers touched his cheek, she exhaled slowly. She looked at him then, her lips parted slightly. His lips pressed against hers softly, his arms going around her. She pressed into him, her head spinning. He muttered something against her mouth, and she pulled back, her eyes wide.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I need to find out who did this to me, and in order to do that, you can't be here. Not now."

"You need me to help you," Ginny said, reaching for his hand.

"How can you help me?" he snapped. "You weren't even there when it happened. It would have been so much better if you had been the one to do it."

"I couldn't," Ginny whispered. "I knew you didn't deserve that. But I didn't want you to wake up one morning and–" She shook her head, her voice strained.

"And what?" he asked softly.

Her eyes filled with tears again. "I didn't want you to wake up one morning and realize who I was. I wasn't any good for you, and I knew eventually you would figure that out. But then months went by and you never did, so I thought the best way to end things was to make you forget."

"But you couldn't," he replied. "How thoughtful."

He was angry now.

"I should have told you," she said. "Having you forget about us, I thought it would make me happy. But when I really saw that someone had done that to you, I was upset. Someone hated us that much. I felt awful. I used to wonder who did it, too. Then I realized it didn't matter, because you'd never remember that we were together. So how could you possibly be mad at what you didn't have an recollection of?"

"But I did," he said. "And as far as I was aware, there was no reason for me to ever remember. I don't understand. Once you got your memories erased, that should be it."

"Only one memory came back," he told her. "But it was enough to make me realize we'd had a relationship in the past." He reached out and took her hands, pulling her close. "I want you to tell me what else we had together." He rested his forehead against hers. "Did you love me?"

She nodded, shutting her eyes. "It scared me. All of it scared me. We were so different."

"Two sides of the same coin," he said. His mouth twitched. "How about we talk more over dinner tonight? Blaise and Pansy are waiting for me in my apartment. I think they'd enjoy seeing you again, if you want to come in."

Ginny smiled. "That sounds nice."

**


Blaise had been rummaging for wine when Draco and Ginny walked through the door. He grinned and nodded at Ginny. "Hello, Red." Then to Draco, "Do you have anything to drink that isn't coffee or tea?"

"He means alcohol," Pansy said, getting up from the couch. She hugged Ginny. "Did you and Draco get reacquainted?"

"We talked about things," she replied, not really wanting to get into it. "Do you have wine?" she asked Draco.

He eyed Blaise. "I think there is a search commencing as we speak."

Blaise laughed, then emerged with a bottle in his hand. "This looks so old, man. Sure you guys want to drink it?"

Pansy extended her hand. "Give it up, Zabini. We'll drink it if you're too afraid of getting sick."

"Oh, shut up," Blaise snapped, snatching the bottle away and opening it. He held it out to Ginny. "We don't need glasses, right?"

She shook her head and took a sip. She started to relax, and it was quite easy with the three of them. They didn't judge her for what happened, like others might have.

"Give me that," Pansy said, taking the bottle. "We don't need you getting smashed. Remember what happened the last time you had this?"

Ginny frowned.

They'd went through a bottle of wine. Just one and she was feeling the effects. A warm feeling surged through her, and she felt content, with him. He kissed her jaw, his light hair brushing her cheek as she wrapped her around around him.

In the back of the library, leaning against the shelves, Ginny Weasley was kissing the last person she ever thought she would. Because of a dare. It was a stupid dare, she thought.

Pansy Parkinson didn't seem to think so.

Neither did Draco Malfoy, it seemed. Because he wasn't pushing her away. In fact, he was enjoying himself. He had his hands tangled in her hair, his lips hot against her mouth now. Ginny pressed herself into him, slipped her arms tighter around his waist, and moaned.

When they finally pulled apart, his head was against the crook of her shoulder, his breathing ragged. But he slid his hands along her body until they rested on her hips. He closed his eyes and sighed.

"Jesus Christ, Weasley," he said tiredly. "I've got to thank Pansy for being setting this up."

"You knew?" Ginny asked. "That's just great. I thought it was a surprise."

"Oh, it was." He chuckled. "I've seen the way you've been looking at me. I didn't think you'd have enough nerve to approach me at all. I guess I was wrong."

"No one can know about this," she told him. "Do you understand?"

He looked at her, his eyes gleaming. "They wouldn't believe me if I said anything. They know who you are."

"And who am I?" Ginny said, anger twisting inside her.

Draco stepped back and smirked. "They know you're not good for me, and you would damage my reputation if I ever thought about getting involved with you. But you know what? Fuck them."

Ginny was quiet as he wrapped one arm around her waist, pulling her closer. When he kissed her, it was hard. He cupped her face, the knuckles of his free hand brushing her skin.
This story archived at http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=7557