(A/N: Just to clear some stuff up:

As I said in the summary, this is a Draco/Ginny fic. In the end, they will be together. What’s unconventional about the story is that there is very limited Draco and/or Ginny POVs. When I do use Draco or Ginny POVs, however, it’s only to increase the suspense and to torment the reader.

Warning: In the next few chapters there will be be talks of Harry liking Ginny, but the feelings are not at all returned.)


Girl Time


Harry sighed as he looked out the window of the Hogwarts Express to the blur of passing trees. Another year had gone by and, for once, he had a summer to look forward to.



He would be spending summer holiday at the Burrow this year.



With one more sigh, Harry turned his attention away from the window to his two best friends.



“So, what do you think, Harry?” Ron asked. Ron didn’t notice the lost expression on Harry’s face, but Hermione did.



“You really should take this more seriously,” she said pointedly to Harry. “I’m sure you’ll agree that Ginny is like a sister to you. Well, she is like one to me too. I don’t really get along with the other girls at school. She is the only real girl-friend I have.”



“Sorry,” muttered Harry. “What were you two saying again?”



“You know Ginny’s been acting really weird lately.” This time Ron spoke up. “She’s been in her own little world since we got back from winter holiday. She’s been fending us off with her marks, but I have a nagging feeling that she only keeps them up to throw us off something.”



“We’ve come up with a plan to get Ginny to tell us what’s wrong,” Hermione continued. “She will be spending the summer holiday with me at my parent’s house. Some ‘girl time’ I suppose we could call it. Mrs. Weasley has already owled her approval. She said that since Ginny would only be stuck with the two of you at the Burrow, it would be good for the both of us if she came to my house. I’ll do my best to keep you two posted…” Hermione trailed off at the raising of Harry’s brows. “What?” she asked huffily.



“I know I’ll be going out on a limb here, but I suppose you two reckon she’ll tell you what’s going on during this so-called ‘girl time’?” Harry suppressed a laugh when he saw the expressions on both Hermione and Ron’s faces. Apparently, they saw nothing wrong with their plan. “Look, we’ve been trying to get Ginny to talk to us for almost a month and a half now. If she hasn’t told us anything by now, I don’t think she will anytime soon. You both know how much she values her independence. If she really does have a problem, then she isn’t about to let anyone help her out of it. And if the supposed problem was at all serious, then we can rest assured that she would be smart enough to at least tell Dumbledore about it.”



Harry watched as his words washed over both of his friends. Understanding was slowly flickering across Hermione’s face. Ron’s reaction however, was the antithesis to Hermione’s calm one. He must have been holding in his anger (which as Harry reflected upon, never happened before) for quite some time.



Ron’s diatribe, even with its shortness, was like a volcanic eruption. Something must have been simmering under the surface for a long time to get Ron to snap. The question Harry was asking himself was how he failed to notice this earlier.



“Something is obviously wrong with my sister, and all you can say is ‘we should butt out?!’ I know Ginny is no Cho Chang, but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t deserve the attention of the Great Harry Potter!”



Harry only gaped. He had no idea where that had come from. Sure, he didn’t spend a lot of time with Ginny; they didn’t go to Hogsmeade together, study together, or talk about serious things, but that didn’t mean he didn’t care about her. Ginny, along with Hermione, were the closest things to sisters he ever had. Hermione was the sister he could spend time with, and Ginny was simply the baby.



Ron took a deep breath, and calmly turned back to Harry. “I’ll admit it could be anything, maybe just boy troubles. But then again, the Chamber of Secrets began as only boy troubles. Like you said, she values her independence. And I agree that she won’t confide in Hermione, or any of us for that matter, anytime soon. But she didn’t tell anyone about Riddle’s diary when she realized that she had to get rid of it. No, instead she tried to flush it down a toilet, only for you to find. She didn’t go to anyone then, what makes you think she will now?” Hermione looked up and Ron paused before he continued. “I can’t expect the two you to understand, but we have to try. Ginny is my baby sister. I almost lost her once, and I will not let that happen again. Not only is she my closest sibling, but I promised my brothers that I would protect her. After the Chamber of Secrets, Percy, the twins, and I, all got a savage talking to from Charlie and Bill. They said that we had to do a better job of making sure the baby of the family was safe. And now, I’m the only one left. Before the year started, I got the worst talk yet. All five of my brothers are counting on me to take care of Ginny. I don’t want to disappoint, and I don’t want to risk anything. But like I said, I can’t ask you two to understand, you don’t have brothers and sisters like I do.”



If it was possible, Harry only gaped more. Tears were glistening in Hermione’s eyes. Neither of them had ever seen Ron this way. They never took the time to realize how much Ron really cared about Ginny. They misinterpreted his shunning her out of their group as a ‘she’s only an annoying little sister’ gesture; when in fact, he was only trying to protect her. After all, many of the things they did weren’t exactly considered safe.



Harry met Hermione’s eyes, and they both nodded.



“I assume you’ve told Ginny about the summer’s events, then?” Harry asked his friends.



Ron and Hermione looked at each other with shameful expressions. “Don’t take this the wrong way, Harry, but you seem to be the most...” Ron had to pause to come up with what he thought was a suitable adjective for Harry and Ginny’s relationship, “…detached… from Ginny out of the three of us. So we were wondering if you could tell her.”



Harry sighed as he shook his bowed head in disbelief.
Leave a Review