Chapter 24

Rings and Things

*~*~*

Ginny took two steps away from Draco, as if distancing herself from him would make up for being caught in his arms. She blinked and only saw the outline of a figure against the sunlight, but she could tell who the voice belonged to.

“Uh…Seamus? What are you doing here?” she asked stupidly.

“Seamus? Who’s in there?” Ginny saw Parvati right behind him and as Seamus started closing the door behind them blocking the sunlight once again; she could see Parvati’s look of disbelief.

“Ginny?” Parvati questioned as if she had to confirm that she was really seeing her there beside Draco.

She should have known better than to drag Draco to the Shrieking Shack. During her third year a few students had discovered that the boards across the door had loosened. Apparently the magic that had sustained the complete sealing of the house for years was wearing, and no one had bothered to rework a sealing charm. Ever since the door had been opened, it had been a popular dare among students to go into the shack, especially those who wanted to give their boyfriend or girlfriend a thrill. They would attempt to drag their significant other into the shack for a snogging session (or more) just to say they had done so. Very few actually had gone so far as to do it, but every year there was a new rumor circulating as to who had gotten into the Shrieking Shack. In fact, as of late it had been dubbed the Shagging Shack due to an incident over the summer that a seventh year Gryffindor had been involved in. There was no actual proof that anything happened, but several had joked that they would be next to go to the Shagging Shack.

Leave it to a Gryffindor to start a rumor about shagging in the Shrieking Shack.

Ginny’s intention had been to give Draco a piece of her mind, nothing more. But Seamus and Parvati had caught her mid-snog with Draco Malfoy. How was she going to handle this? Seamus was her brother’s roommate! And Parvati was her brother’s girlfriend’s roommate! She wanted to floor to open up and swallow her.

Draco, as usual, seemed to be thoroughly amused at getting caught. She swore that it was his goal to drive her insane. It was Draco who decided to break the somewhat uncomfortable silence.

“The shack is currently in use, though I’m sure you can reserve it for next Hogsmeade visit, Finnigan. I think we might be here all day,” he said with a surreptitious smirk. Ginny smacked his shoulder, hard.


Draco turned to Ginny and said with a deadpan expression,“Ouch.”

Parvati was known for being friends with the biggest gossip at Hogwarts, Lavendar Brown, and Ginny was not sure how it was possible to keep her from saying anything. She mentally noted that she should learn memory charms as soon as possible and master them. She had never realized how useful they could be until she got involved with Draco Malfoy.

Draco looked at Ginny and smirked again despite the fact that she had probably just bruised his arm. She was obviously in a state about getting caught. He still found it rather entertaining, but he decided to do something that would give her temporary piece of mind.

“Finnigan, say nothing about what you saw here, or you and your girlfriend will be sorry,” he said in a semi-serious tone.

“You don’t scare me, Malfoy,” he returned, though he didn’t sound that sure of himself.

“Finnigan, don’t force me to say anything that you’ll regret,” Draco returned calmly (though still amused) as he cocked his head meaningfully at Seamus. Ginny wondered what that was all about, but noted that Seamus’s eyes practically turned into saucers as apparently he got the Slytherin’s meaning.

“Right. Parvati,” he said turning to his girlfriend, “We never saw anything. Let’s go.” He turned to leave.

“Wait a second,” Parvati said. “What was that all about? You’re not going let him bully you, are you?”

“Patil, I suggest you run along with your boyfriend. But if you prefer to stay, I’m sure we would have some rather interesting facts to discuss,” Draco said pointedly to her.

Ginny watched as Parvati took her turn at widening her eyes in horror. “Let’s go, Seamus,” she said hurriedly shoving Seamus out the door. Ginny heard Seamus exclaim, “What the bloody hell was that all about?” as they exited.

“Now that we’ve go that taken care of,” Draco said moving to put his arms around her again. She stepped out of his reach.

“What was that all about?” she inquired, giving him a look that clearly said 'I can’t believe you just did that but thank Merlin you did!'

“All I can say is it’s highly useful to know things about people, and make sure they know what you know about them,” he said with a cockiness in his voice that made Ginny snicker.

“You are unbelievable!”

“I get that a lot,” he agreed maintaining the conceited tone. “Though most girls say it with a little more breathlessness than you did. Perhaps we can work on that?” Ginny never knew exactly when it happened, but his haughty ways were beginning grow on her.

“Why did I ever admit to liking you?” she said with exasperation, though humor was entwined in her words.

“Why do you find the idea of being seen with me so horrendous?” he asked, his tone a little more serious, though he was still smiling at her.

“Are you joking? Why on earth would I want to be seen with you? You’re hideous! Haven’t you looked in the mirror lately? No. I don’t think I want to be known as the girl who dated Quasimodo. What would people think?” She spoke with light sarcasm.

“And here I thought you weren’t shallow,” he returned mockingly.

“I would have thought you would want to keep everyone in the dark. Honestly, I thought you’d be ashamed of dating a Weasley. What would your friends think?”

“My friends know better than to question my judgment,” he said matter-of-factly.

“Fine, what would the whole school think? You wouldn’t want to send everyone into shock.”

“Actually, that would be quite a sight, sending the whole school into shock,” he chuckled. “I think what you mean to ask is what would your friends think.”

“I can already tell you that they would come after you with their wands blazing. You aren’t exactly their favorite person. Of course, Colin is fine with it, but Harry, Ron, and Hermione would think you’ve got me under an Imperius or something. I think it’d be much easier just to keep our little thing a secret.”

“So you still think this is just a thing?”

“I don’t know what else to classify it as,” she said truthfully. It was degrading, but she had simply thought of herself as Draco’s flavor of the month. She had fought against any thoughts she had of their fling becoming anything more serious. She was convinced he wasn’t capable of anything more. She thought it would be easier just to accept the truth. The only problem was she was continuously falling harder for the git. He was making it so difficult for her not to fall for him.

“Would it help for me to classify it for you?” he said moving to her and placing a gentle kiss on her lips. She felt on the verge of melting. The all too familiar flip-flop of her stomach returned and her pulse raced. She thought that she was addicted to the adrenaline rush that being around him caused.

“I don’t think…” she began, but he interrupted her with another gentle brush of his lips against hers.

“I am going to classify you as my girlfriend and this so-called fling I will classify as an exclusive relationship because I don’t plan on snogging any other girls while I’m with you.” He pulled the emerald ring he always wore off his right index finger.

“Draco…I…” she started, not quite knowing what to say.


He smirked at her use of his name. For weeks she had called him Casanova, and though he liked the nickname, he wondered when she would come around to calling him by his given name. Using it in his presence was just like admitting she liked him, something she had been reluctant to do for some time. It was the same reason he always called her Gin. He’d spent years spitting her last name out like it was dirt in his mouth; therefore it was a necessity to call her by her first. In his eyes, she was the furthest thing from dirt.

She had made him do something that, up until this point, he never thought he’d do. He gave her his ring. It was his own possession and he wanted her to have it. It meant more than ridiculously expensive gifts. The ring was something he cared about. His grandmother had passed it on to him his first year at Hogwarts and he’d worn it every day since. It bore the Malfoy insignia within the square cut emerald stone that was encased in the silver band.

“….I…” Ginny said again as he conjured a simple silver chain and looped it through the ring. She was torn. She wanted to tell him she couldn’t possibly be his girlfriend. She was barely coming to grips with the fact that she had actually said she liked him. He was asking her to be with him. Well, perhaps not asking exactly. He simply stated it. That alone should have sent her into a fit. She was the one who would make the decision whose girlfriend she would be. He was practically claiming her as a possession. But something kept her from arguing. Part of her wanted to see what it would be like to be Draco Malfoy’s girlfriend.

“I can’t,” she said finally. He placed the chain around her neck anyway.

“You can. I’ve already said so,” he declared as if it was just a simple matter of him stating it and therefore making it true.

“I didn’t agree,” she said lacking confidence in her own words.

“You never would,” he pointed out. “Honestly, for a Gryff you’re being a bit of a coward, don’t you think?”

Not even her brothers had ever been stupid enough to refer to her as a coward. She had been lost in the moment but the remark had brought her back to reality. “I am not a coward,” she snapped.

“Then why are you acting like one?” he asked smoothly. “What are you afraid of?”

She glared at him.

“I fear nothing,” she answered determinedly.

“Prove it,” he challenged with a wry grin.

She knew he was baiting her. Fine, she thought. If he breaks my heart, I’ll break more than his wand.

“Alright, I’ll let you be my boyfriend, but we’re still not telling anyone,” she chided.

His grin broadened. “For now. And I can kick Potter’s arse if he even thinks about laying a finger on you.”

“Harry’s with Luna! And I told you, there’s no reason for you to be jealous of him,” she argued.

“Nevertheless, it’s at least an honorable reason for me to bloody him up.”

She shook her head at his attempt at a chivalrous notion. Yet, again, she was flattered by the thought. “You have some serious issues, you know that?”

“I discuss them with my Headhealer on a bi-monthly basis,” he quipped playfully. “Now, since we are officially a couple I suggest we start off with a proper first kiss.”

Ginny smiled, “I believe I can agree to that.”

She leaned in for her kiss and just before their lips touched the door to the shack opened again.

“Bloody hell!” they exclaimed in unison. The looked to the door and saw Blaise and Colin standing there.

“Oh! So this is where you two scurried off to,” Blaise said half-embarrassed half-amused.

“Interrupting anything?” Colin raised his eyebrows mischievously.

“Yes, now go away,” Draco said with obvious frustration. “The shack is booked for the day.”

“Actually, you two can have it for now,” Ginny offered with a gracious smile. Draco looked at her as if she had gone crazy.

“What are we going to do?” he whined slightly. Ginny laughed.

“We’re going back to Honeydukes,” she replied. “What was it you were trying when we were there earlier?” She had a sudden craving for sweets again, and she wanted to stock up.

She fully intended on getting her official first kiss as Draco’s girlfriend, but she wasn’t going to chance another interruption. There was a better time and place for it. She drug Draco out door of the shack and down the road to Honeydukes.


She was careful to watch for other students and when she saw some other sixth years she knew she distanced herself from Draco. She hoped it appeared they just happened to be going in the same direction. He’d flash her a beguiling smirk each time it happened.

The entered Honeydukes for the second time that day and she picked out the caramel candies that Draco had sampled earlier along with a couple of other interesting flavors and one type of candy called Peppermint Poppers. As they chose more sweets Ginny failed to notice Ron and Hermione entering the shop. She was giggling at some crack Draco had made about suggesting some of the candies to Colin and Blaise when she turned and saw Ron glaring at Draco. Her laughter instantly subsided.

“Ron!” she gasped. She sincerely hoped he hadn’t heard any of their conversation. She really needed to remember to be more careful.

“Weasley,” Draco greeted him with a smirk.

“We were just…uh…” Ginny felt the need to explain.

“Where’s Blaise and Colin?” he said nastily. Ginny was instantly put off.

“Blaise is in the bathroom,” she said quickly, but could see that Ron’s temper was rising.

“I thought they weren’t supposed to leave you alone with this wanker. Ow!” Hermione had elbowed him in the rib.

Ginny’s temper could match his and more if he wasn’t careful. “I told you, Ronald, I can take care of myself.”

“We can stick around until Blaise and Colin get back. Where is Colin?” Ron asked softening his tone a bit when he realized that his sister was ready to blow her top.

“He went to the post. I told you I was fine,” she said calmly. She glanced at Draco who was cleverly covering his laughter with his hand over his mouth as if pondering something. “You don’t need to stick around on my behalf, but thank you for bothering.” The problem was neither Blaise nor Colin would be returning soon and there wasn’t exactly a cover for that.

“It’s not a problem. I’m just looking out for my baby sister.”

Ginny rolled her eyes. She needed him gone. The fewer questions she had to answer, the better. “So, Hermione,” she said casually looking at a barrel of multi-colored gummi flobberworms. “Has Ron told you his amusing little toilet seat story?”

As expected, Ron gave her a murderous look, but he grabbed Hermione by the arm and started heading out the door. “Um, actually, Gin, I’m sure Blaise’ll be back soon. We have to meet Harry and Luna at the Three Broomsticks soon.”

As the bell on the door tinkled she heard Hermione ask, “What toilet seat story?” Ginny gave a small smirk as they left.

Draco was now practically in tears. “And you thought I was bad. I have to ask again, how did you get sorted into Gryffindor?”

 

Ginny only gave him a wicked grin.

 

~*~*~

 

Leave a Review