Chapter Six: Tourniquet

I tried to kill the pain
But only brought more
I lay dying
And I’m pouring crimson regret and betrayal
I’m dying praying bleeding and screaming
Am I too lost to be saved
Am I too lost?

My God my tourniquet
Return to me salvation
My God my tourniquet
Return to me salvation

Do you remember me
Lost for so long
Will you be on the other side
Or will you forget me
I’m dying praying bleeding and screaming
Am I too lost to be saved
Am I too lost?

My God my tourniquet
Return to me salvation
My God my tourniquet
Return to me salvation

My God my tourniquet
Return to me salvation
My God my tourniquet
Return to me salvation

My wounds cry for the grave
My soul cries for deliverance
Will I be denied Christ
Tourniquet
My suicide


-Evanescence

*~*~*~*~*


Draco and Ginny were lying in Draco’s large four-poster bed, wrapped in the twisted and tangled forest green sheets. The room was dark, with the exception of the glow emitting from the embers of a long forgotten fire.

"I love you Ginevra." Draco said, pulling her body close to his after making love that evening.

"I love you too Draco." Ginny said snuggling into Draco's body. 'I don't know what I would do without him; I just can't believe that I am so lucky. I don't deserve Draco, not in my wildest dreams.' Since being with Draco, Ginny had gotten over all of the pain Harry had caused
her. Her heart was beginning to heal, but she would never forget the way that she had become so depressed because she would avoid that kind of anguish at all costs.

Ginny was selfish that way, for she was not concerned as long as she was not affected. If she felt that someone could cause her to suffer more pain than she already had experienced in her life, then she would stop at no cost to avoid it.

Ginny and Draco were oblivious to Harry's scheming, and were happily enjoying each other's company. They talked little, just content in being together. They were unaware that they needed to cherish these last moments together, for they would yearn for times like these forever after.

*~*~*~*~*


Ginny and Draco were headed to the Great Hall the next morning when Professor Snape stopped them in the corridor.

“Mr. Malfoy, Miss Weasley!” Draco and Ginny turned to see Professor Snape walking towards them, with a look of distress. “I have been asked to escort you to Professor Dumbledore’s office, please follow me.” And without so much as an indication of what this was about, the couple followed closely behind Professor Snape, giving each other looks of concern as they were confused about what was about to take place.

When they arrived at the stone gargoyle in front of Dumbledore’s office, Professor Snape muttered the password and the statue moved out of the way to reveal a spiral stone staircase. Ginny and Draco stepped onto the staircase, and Professor Snape left without saying another word.

When they reached the top of the staircase, Ginny gasped and Draco’s mouth hung open in disbelief. Dumbledore was sitting behind his large antique desk in the centre of the room, while Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were sitting across from him in two large armchairs, and Lucius Malfoy stood the right of them in front of the bookshelves that covered the walls of the entire office.

As Draco and Ginny walked into the room, everyone’s eyes were on them. Draco grasped Ginny’s hand, and Ginny squeezed it in return, expressing her fear to him without saying a word. Both knew what was about to happen, and did not want to let go.

“Mr. Malfoy, Miss Weasley, I’m pleased Professor Snape was able to find you. As you can see, your parents have come to see you, although I am unaware of what they wish to discuss with you. They assure me that a dangerous situation has arisen that they must deal with immediately.” Dumbledore needn’t explain the circumstances, Draco and Ginny were well aware of why their parents were at Hogwart’s, and were almost certain who was responsible for bringing them there.

“Now if you’ll excuse me, I have an urgent matter that I must attend to. I shall leave you to speak privately.” Dumbledore left his office with a wink of his sparkling blue eye, while the Weasleys and Malfoys remained.

The tension was building, and no one said a word. The longer they denied it, the longer they did not have to admit that the situation was true. The silence was finally broken when Draco spoke up, “May I ask what it is that everyone is worried about?” Draco knew exactly what everyone was worried about, but continued to act ignorant.

“Don’t be stupid boy, you know exactly why we are here!” Lucius barked, causing Ginevra to jump. Draco pulled her closer to him knowing the fearfulness that Lucius incurred in everyone that crossed his path.

Mr. Weasley interjected uncertainly, “Ginevra, sweetie, I am not sure what possessed you to become involved with him,” nodding his head towards Draco, “but I am sure it was just a momentary lapse in your good judgement. However, you are no longer going to see him, and that is my final word.” Mr. Weasley was trying with all his strength not to become agitated. ‘I let her get hurt in her first year at Hogwart’s when I could have stopped it from happening if I had been paying more attention to her. I won’t make that mistake again. Ginny just doesn’t understand what danger she is in; it’s not even Draco I am worried about, it is what Lucius will do to her for being with his son. I have failed as a father once, and I will not let that happen again.’

“But Dad, you can’t say that. You don’t understand, I love Draco, you can’t just forbid me to see him. I won’t let you!” Ginny countered, tears welling up in her eyes. ‘I spent five years longing for Harry to love me, and now that I have finally found Draco, who loves me the way that I love him, my family won’t let us be together!’ Ginny was overwhelmed by all of this and could not handle what was happening. Her heart was being torn to pieces by her own parents, and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

“Draco, the same applies to you, you are forbidden from seeing this girl ever again,” Lucius threatened. “You know better than to cross me. You will obey me, otherwise you will regret it.”

“I am not going to let you ruin this for me, Lucius,” Draco replied bitterly. “If you were a father to me you wouldn’t care who I was with as long as I was in love and happy. You can’t control my life anymore. I have faced my demons and I won’t let you destroy my life again like I have always let you!” Draco shouted, dominant in his position. ‘This can’t be happening; Lucius has something planned to keep us from being together. He is being far too calm – I know he will do something to keep us apart, but I can’t give up yet. I love Ginevra too much to let her go so easily.’

“If you knew what was best for yourself, you wouldn’t associate with such filth! I will control your life as long as you carry the Malfoy name, and I won’t let you dishonour my family any longer.” Lucius was becoming impatient; he would not stand for this nonsense for another moment. Lucius abruptly turned and stormed away, yelling “This is not the end of this Draco. This is far from the end; I will guarantee you that you will never see that girl again.” And with that threat, Lucius descended the staircase.

Draco did not know that the end would come sooner than he was expecting. Danger was approaching quickly, and he would be the only one with the opportunity to protect Ginevra and keep her out of harm’s way.

Ginny was now in tears, and Draco pulled her against him as she cried into his chest. ‘Why are they doing this to us, to Ginevra? Can’t her parents see how much this is hurting their daughter? It’s no wonder she was so depressed when I met her, they don’t even care whether she is happy or not.’ Draco thought only of Ginny’s welfare; he was worried and scared for her. Looking into her eyes, he could see that she was falling back into her self-destructive depression, and falling quickly.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were whispering about something a few metres away, occasionally glancing over at the couple. Mrs. Weasley finally stood up and headed over to where Draco still stood comforting Ginny.

“If you’ll excuse us Draco, I need to discuss something with my daughter.” Mrs. Weasley bluntly stated. ‘I can’t stand seeing my baby so upset, I have to make her recognize why her father and I are doing this.’

Ginny looked up into Draco’s eyes, and nodded slightly, giving him permission to leave her alone. Draco walked over and stood beside the bookcase on the other side of the room, pretending to be looking over the wall of tattered books. He was actually watching them intently, as Ginny turned to face her mother, wiping the tears from her face.

“Ginny, darling, you are only sixteen years old, you don’t know what’s best for you yet,” Molly Weasley explained in her motherly tone, trying her best to convince Ginny to stop seeing Draco without causing an argument. “You’re too young to be in love. Please, stop seeing Draco, it is honestly for the best, you will be much happier without him.”

But Ginny would not give up that easily, she was too committed to give up without a fight. “Happy? You actually think that I would be happier without Draco? Well then you definitely don’t understand. If you were really the devoted mother that you claim to me, you would be able to see how happy Draco makes me. Didn’t you notice how depressed I was just a few weeks ago before I left for school?”

‘If I could only tell her that I can see in her eyes what she feels for Draco, she will hate me for this but it is the only way.’ Molly Weasley thought. Mrs. Weasley’s face went blank; pretending that she hadn’t seen Ginny’s depression, and did not saying a word.

“That’s what I thought,” Ginny was becoming angry. “I am happier than I ever thought I could be after what I’ve been through in my life. I can’t, no, I won’t give up on Draco just because you don’t like his father. In case you haven’t noticed that either, Draco is not his father!” Neither of her parents understood, but then again, how could they? She had never told them what she was going through, she never gave them the chance to help her when she desperately needed it. How could they know if she really needed their help now?

“I’m sorry Ginny, I have tried to discuss this rationally with you and treat you like an adult, but the reality is you are just a child, you can’t make these decisions for yourself!” Molly Weasley’s usually calm, and patient demeanour was wearing thin, as she raised her voice. “I won’t argue with you any more, your father and I have made our decision. You will never see Draco Malfoy again!”

“I am not a child! And you think I can’t make decisions? Well, you are wrong because I have just had to make one of the hardest decisions of my life.” Ginny fumed, tired of always being treated as though she could not do things for herself. ‘Harry influenced every one of my decisions for the past five years. Now that I finally have the ability to use my own mind, my parents are trying to decide everything for me. I won’t let them do that to me!’

“And what may I ask was the hardest decision of your life?” Arthur Weasley piped in with evident sarcasm. ‘I will never give in on this, if I have to lock her away to keep her out of danger, I will. I will do whatever it takes.’

“I had to choose whether I wanted to be with the man I love, or with my family.” Ginny stated. Draco had begun to move closer to Ginny as he began to overhear the argument she was having with her mother, and now he was standing next to her.

“I don’t believe I made that choice an option to you, Ginevra Weasley.” Mr. Weasley responded fiercely.

“You didn’t,” Ginny answered angrily, “but I have chosen Draco. If you can’t support me, and let me be happy, than I do not want to be a part of this family a moment longer.” Ginny continued firmly, forcing back the tears accumulating again in her already red and swollen eyes.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley could not tell Ginny the truth about why they didn’t want her to be with Draco because she would just rebel even further, and never look at their point of view seriously. But Ginny would risk the consequences of being in love with Lucius Malfoy’s son, not realizing what he was capable of doing.

Ginny was blinded by the love she had for Draco, and knew she needed to stop for a moment and think. She turned and stormed out of Dumbledore’s office, knowing she couldn’t stay there. She was so confused, and yet so certain of what she wanted; she had to understand her own feelings before she could do anything else. To do this, she had to get away from everyone and everything around her and just be alone with her thoughts if she were to survive what was happening.

As Draco was leaving to follow Ginny, Mr. Weasley stopped him. “I hope you know what you have done Malfoy; you have torn her apart from her family,” he said venomously. “We love her and only want the best for her, and that does not include you. You think you make her happy, but look at all the pain that you are responsible for. Did you look at her face when she left? She doesn’t want to give up her family, but you have forced her to.” If he could not convince Ginny that she and Draco shouldn’t be together, then Mr. Weasley’s only other possibility was to convince Draco of it.

“No, I didn’t force her to make that decision, you did. If anyone is responsible for all her pain, it is you,” Draco disputed. “If you want to accuse someone for causing this, blame yourself. You just won’t let yourself see what she’s going through. Just because you ignore it and deny it doesn’t make it go away.” He left before either of the Weasleys could respond.

Little did Draco know that Mr. Weasley would actually take his advice. He wouldn’t ignore and deny this problem; instead, he was going to prevent Ginny from seeing Malfoy, even if he had to die trying.

*~*~*~*~*


Ginny ran all the way to the Astronomy Tower without stopping. She had to get away from everyone if she did not want to be influenced by them, and wanted her decision to be entirely of her own will.

The round stone room was completely bare, free of all distractions. There were large windows surrounding the room, with a view of the entire Hogwart’s grounds. It was a beautiful day outside; the warm sunshine brightened the room, and the bright blue sky was obstructed only by the occasional cloud that drifted slowly across it.

Ginny walked over to the window to the right of her, and looked outside, staring at the landscape. She held her head in her hands, as she attempted to straighten out her thoughts and find a solution to her heart-wrenching dilemma.

‘I can’t live without Draco; he means the world to me,’ she thought. ‘After everything he has done for me, I know that he loves me and only wants me to be happy. But I am causing so many problems in his life too. His father doesn’t approve, but then again Draco is finally beginning to distance himself from the life that his father has planned for him. Draco has to make his own decisions; if he no longer wants to be with me because of this, then I will not stand in his way.’

‘On the other hand, my family means so much to me. I cannot help that they don’t understand the situation; I know they are only trying to help. They are so protective since my experience with Tom Riddle in the Chamber of Secrets, and I know that they mean well and don’t want me to be in danger again. But they don’t seem to comprehend that I have been so desperately cautious of my safety since then. If I thought I would be in danger by being with Draco, I would not have risked having a relationship with him in the first place.’

‘I don’t want to give up on either of them, but despite any choice I make, someone will be hurt, and I cannot do that to them. Oh Merlin, I can’t do this anymore! What have I done? I am so lost; it seems that every time I gain back an ounce of happiness, it is torn away from me! I don’t even know if life is worth all these sacrifices any more…’

Ginny was utterly confused, distraught, and alone. She cried herself to sleep on the cold stone floor, afraid of the decision that she had to reveal the next day.

*~*~*~*~*
Leave a Review