Chapter 2: Duty Calls, Duty Paid


Looking around the hall, she spotted a pair of glass doors leading out on to a veranda. She was eager to step away from the crowds of people, most of who were friends from school or important wizards in the community. She had no desire to speak to either group, and so she made her way outside, reveling in the feeling of the fresh air as it struck her face. She looked off into the distance, and could make out the tree outline of the Forbidden Forest. It was so strange to know that Hogwarts, a place that had been so important to her childhood, was only a few minutes away.

That thought unleashed a few memories that she felt were better off buried, and she allowed herself a few minutes to reminisce of days past. She sighed, a particular memory plaguing her. Ginny, there’s no use playing the ‘what if’ game. What’s done is done.

She was so wrapped up in her thoughts that she didn’t even notice that she was no longer alone on the veranda until the person who had been watching her spoke.

“Ginny, I’m glad you made it. It’s been such a long time since I’ve seen you,” he said softly, leaning on the railing beside her. She turned to face him, forcing a weak smile.

“I wouldn’t miss this, Harry. Congratulations. I can tell you’re very happy with her,” she said, forcing herself to mean what she said.

“I was afraid that you wouldn’t come, and I’m just relieved that you made it. It wouldn’t have been the same without my little sister here, you know,” he said with a wink. Little sister. How quickly my role in your life has changed, Harry, she thought.

“You really shouldn’t have worried about it, Harry. You’re getting married; it’s a big deal. Of course I would come, I want to be one of the first to congratulate you and meet your fiancée.”

“Have you met her yet? Give me a moment, and I’ll run and get her,” he said, smiling as he dashed back into the hall, and returned a few minutes, bride-to-be in tow.

“Gabby, I want you to meet Ginny. She’s Ron’s little sister, and is the Ministry’s youngest diplomat.”

“Nice to meet you, Ginny,” the young woman said with a smile, which Ginny was able to return. Someone inside was calling Harry.

“I’ll be right back, luv,” he promised Gabrielle, before he dashed off.

“How did you and Harry meet?” Ginny asked curiously. She wasn’t from Hogwarts, and Ginny had never met the girl before, or even heard talk of her.

“Actually, strangely enough, through my cousin. The two little prats had a bit of a duel, right in the middle of the Three Broomsticks one night. After Stunning the two idiots to make them stop before they tore the place apart, I laid eyes on Harry, and was smitten, I guess. Strange luck, I suppose. If I hadn’t been meeting up with my cousin that night, I probably would never have met him,” she said, with a fond smile.

“That’s wonderful,” Ginny said.

“Ginny, I’m not quite sure how to say this to you, but I understand what Harry is to you. And I want you to know that I love him, and will do what I can to make him happy,” she said softly, her eyes narrowing slightly. Ginny froze.

“Of course you’ll make him happy, he wouldn’t be marrying you if you didn’t. And Harry is nothing more to me than an ‘adopted’ brother, someone I grew up with.”

“Just…make sure that it stays that way, please,” Gabrielle said, her voice taking a bit of hard tone, her eyes, which had been warm and friendly, becoming cold. Slightly taken aback, Ginny just nodded. At that moment, Harry returned, grapping his arm around Gabrielle.

“Excuse us, Ginny, but my future wife is needed inside,” he said, with eyes only for Gabrielle.

“Of course,” Ginny nodded. After watching the happy couple walk inside, she drew in a shaky breath. She walked slowly back into the ballroom, and listened for a few minutes as Harry started to make a speech, thanking everyone for coming. As everyone’s focus was on them, Ginny slipped around the back of the crowd, and ducked out of the room.

* * * * *

Rethinking Clarice’s suggestion of relaxing for the evening, Ginny hurriedly exited the building, thinking that if she could return to her flat early enough, she’d be able to salvage what was left of the night, and try to forget everything that had happened. And tomorrow, she had a pile of reports that she could bury herself in to help block out everything that she had tried to bury for so long.

“Ginny, wait! Where are you going?” Hermione called out.

“I have to get back to the office,” she called out, not stopping. She felt a hand grabbing hers, so she stopped and turned.

“Don’t go yet, Ginny. Everyone was so happy to see you, they’ll be disappointed that you’re leaving so early.”

“Hermione, I can’t stay here. I just…I need to go. I came, isn’t that enough? Or is it absolutely necessary for me to stand around and gawk at the happy couple just a bit longer, long enough for the truth to sink in just a little more?” Ginny cried, her self-control cracking.

“It’s important if you want to stay an important part of Harry’s life. Don’t you want that?” Hermione asked.

“Part of his life? Do you think I’m part of his life? Is that what they call that now? I’m just the little girl who used to follow him around like a puppy, the little girl who was afraid to speak to him because she was in awe of him. I’m just that little girl, and anything and everything else that I’ve become is completely invisible to him!” Ginny yelled, her frustration building to the breaking point.

“Ginny…” Hermione said softly.

“Just go back in there and leave me alone. You can’t understand, you’re just like him,” she said. She glared at Hermione until the other girl reluctantly gave up and returned to the party.

“Well, well, well, Weasley, I didn’t think you even knew how to raise your voice, let alone yell at Granger,” a cool voice said from the shadows cast by the moonlight.

“Malfoy, what on earth are you doing here?” she demanded, recognizing the pale hair and eyes, and felt a fresh surge of anger spurred by embarrassment, thinking that such a little prat had heard her entire argument with Hermione.

“Just getting a bit of a free show, that’s all,” he said, shrugging.

“Oh, sod off Malfoy, and keep it to yourself,” she cried, prepared to stalk off, before another thought stopped her in her tracks. “What are you even doing here? Harry hates you.”

“Weasley, has anyone ever told you how astute you are?” he sneered.

“If you’re here to do anything to Harry and ruin this night for him, you can just forget it, I won’t let you in there,” she stated boldly.

“You Gryffindor really baffle me, Weasley. Wouldn’t you want this night ruined for him, to pay him back for marrying another girl? And yet, you’re out here, threatening me, while he’s inside, not even noticing that you’re no longer there.”

“Just get out of here, Malfoy.”

“Not so diplomatic, Weasley. And I was invited, so please let me pass,” he said coolly, stepping out from underneath the shadow, his height towering over Ginny, his cold eyes staring her down as she stood in his path. After an intense minute, he relaxed, his customary smirk returning to his face.

“Surely one has a right to attend the engagement party of his cousin without being harassed by Ministry of Magic officials,” he said smoothly, holding out an envelope as he breezed past.

“You are just as despicable now as you ever were, Malfoy. Too bad people can’t grow out of that,” she snapped, and then stormed off.

*********************************************************
Leave a Review