Chapter 3: Work Challenges



As soon as she arrived home to her empty flat, she shed off her clothes, donned her most comfortable pajamas and curled up on her couch, smothering herself in a soft comforter. Soft music playing in the background, she tried to focus her mind on the report in front of her, a briefing for her meeting the next morning. Her mind kept drifting away, and she’d find herself staring out the window. She was about to give up, when she heard a loud ‘crack’, and found Ron standing before her.

“Important work, Ginny?” he said, angrily, as he took in the scene before her.

“Ron, what you know about my work is surprisingly very little, and if you’ve come here to lecture me, I’ve already gotten it from Hermione and am not in the mood to hear it from you,” Ginny practically snarled, snapping shut the file folder, and tossing it aside angrily.

“I’m just trying to figure out what has been happening to my little sister! And what the hell did you say to Hermione? I haven’t seen her that miffed in the longest time, whatever it was had to be pretty bad. Why did you leave? You seemed to be having a good time,” Ron said, his angry tone changing into concern, as he sat down on the coffee table in front of her. Ginny met his eyes and saw how worried he was.

“I’m fine, Ron, really. It’s just…it’s Harry, y’know? It was just…hard to see, that’s all,” Ginny said, hoping that for once, her brother would understand.

“Yeah, I guess. We never thought you’d even show. Took a lot of guts, you know,” Ron said with a slight smile.

“I don’t know about guts. But I had to go, I had to meet her. And I had to see him with her. And after I did, there was just…no reason for me to stay.” A moment of silence passed between the siblings.

“Ron, when are you going to tell Hermione the reason you’ve hated all of her boyfriends?” she asked, a sly smile lighting up her sad features.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Ginny,” he stammered, his face turning red.

“Don’t be stupid, Ron. Just tell her, and maybe the two of you can quit fighting all the time. Everyone would really appreciate it,” Ginny laughed.

“Shut it, Gin.”

“Fine. Look, I have a big meeting with the Minister tomorrow, about the new Cooperation Act that’s in the works, and I’m not even close to being ready,” Ginny said, nodding towards the pile of files.

“Yeah, I should get back to the party. I just figured I should see how you were doing after Malfoy mentioned seeing you take off.”

“Malfoy? What is all this about him being Gabrielle’s cousin?” Ginny asked, her eyes narrowing as she remembered their encounter.

“Just that. She’s his cousin. Very strange, I’m pretty sure that Harry isn’t too pleased about it all, but is willing to overlook that flaw. He’s as arrogant as ever, and made some comment about screaming Weasleys. Stupid git,” Ron muttered.

“You’d think the fall of his father would have brought him back down to earth, but apparently, that kind of arrogance never fades,” Ginny said, shaking her head. With that, her brother gave her a quick hug, and with a crack, Disapparated, leaving her alone in her empty flat.

* * * * *

Clarice watched from her desk, amused, as Ginny Weasley went flying past her, practically running into the office. Dressed professionally in her black skirt and white blouse, she was probably the only woman that Clarice knew that had perfected the art of running because she was late, and putting on her high heels because she was wasn’t ready for the appointment she was late for.

“Ginny, stop rushing, you have twenty minutes. I just got a memo from the Minister, he’s running behind,” Clarice called, leaning over her desk as she watched Ginny dash around her office, collecting the materials she needed for her meeting.

“I know! I got it, too,” she called, out of breath.

“Then why the rush?” Clarice demanded. With that, Ginny came stumbling out of her office, donning a the black blazer that complete her suit, her hands attempting to twist her hair into a knot at the back of her head, an extra hair pin sticking out of her mouth. Her answer was a series of muffled sounds, as she tried to speak without dropping the hairpin. Finally satisfied with the position of the knot, she secured it, and was free to speak.

“I got an owl from David Josef, from the German Ministry. I have a meeting with his consul to arrange another meeting. Don’t you see, Clarice? Germany is one of the countries holding out on signing this act, if I can just meet with their Minister, I know I can make him see why it’s so necessary,” she said, buttoning the jacket, surveying her appearance in the mirror behind Clarice’s desk, before dashing back into the office, grabbing a file.

“But you’re meeting our Minister in twenty minutes,” Clarice called as Ginny ran for the door.

“That’s why I need to hurry!” she called over her shoulder. Rolling her eyes, Clarice returned to the stack of post that was waiting for her to read. She quickly busied herself, and barely noticed, half an hour later, when Ginny was running past her again.

“Successful?” she called out, not glancing up from the schedule she was drafting.

“Pencil in the Minister from Germany for next Thursday, 10 in the morning, please, Clarice. I don’t think that we’re going to have any more problems with Germany, Clarice! Have you heard from the Minister yet? I need to give him the good news,” she called, desperately searching for the file that contained the list of names in support of the new Cooperation pact.

“Uh, Ginny, she’s been waiting in your office for about ten minutes now,” Clarice said, catching the elderly man’s smile, from where he was sitting, watching her race around the small room. Ginny stopped, startled, before turning to face him.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Fudge, it’s been incredibly hectic around here in the past few days,” she said, immediately regaining her composure, and sitting herself down behind her desk. Clarice, bless her, had the appropriate file placed right in the center of the desk.

“So I’ve heard, Virginia. I’m glad to see that you’ve been successfully wearing down the opposition to our proposed Cooperation pact. Where do we stand at the moment?” he asked, smiling gently. After the fall of the Dark Lord, Cornelius Fudge had certainly mellowed out quite nicely, after almost six years of relative peace in the wizarding community.

“We have eight, sir. So far, we have eight out of fifteen, and I’m sure that we will have Germany. I have a meeting with their Minister for Magic on Thursday, but his consul was pretty optimistic that he would support us,” Ginny said, calmly retelling her success, while her insides were still dancing around with the pleasure she felt. It had been a hard fight to get the consul to even meet with her, and even then, it had taken her twenty minutes to break through to him why this was so important.

“That’s fantastic, Virginia. You have definitely been showing your talents as we work to get this deal ratified by all the countries. After our experience with the Dark Lord, it is important for all countries to join together to put down the last remaining supporters of the Dark Arts. Eight out of fifteen. Last week, we only had five!” he exclaimed.

“It’s been a very busy week,” she restated.

“So it has. Now, Virginia, you’ve been making fantastic progress, that is easy to see. However, I do have a favor I need to ask you. While you’ve been gathering international support for this pact, I’m afraid that a lot of the support we have within the country has begun to fade.”

“Do you have any names of those who are actively working against you on this?” Ginny asked, frowning slightly.

“Of course, my dear. Now, this is what I need of you. I need you, with your energy and youth, to go out there, and convince one man why this is important to sign. No one else has been successful, but I have a feeling that you’re the best person for the job,” he said. Ginny’s eyes narrowed suspiciously. Fudge never complimented anyone unless he was after something; his pride was far too inflated to allow that. Whatever he was going to ask was going to be huge.

“Just one person can change the entire population’s opinion?” she asked.

“Well, he’s a rather influential person. Ginny, I want you to focus on this, one hundred percent. Do whatever you have to do to make him support this.”

“Who is it?”

“Draco Malfoy.”

***************************************

Little obvious that this one was coming, right? *wink*
Leave a Review