The telegram came in the middle of a particularly boring Care of Magical Creatures class. It was short and concise. Really, the only surprise it contained was the time it was delivered. Draco figured the owl could have waited until the morning, it made no difference, but Lucius Malfoy always did have a penchant towards dramatic settings.

Leaving the Manor with your mother. Stay at Hogwarts until I call for you.

Draco read the two lines; crumpled up the missive and sneered at his classmates as if to say “Don’t you wish you knew what the Great Draco is up to? Well, I won’t deign to tell you.” (In fact, that was more or less what Draco was saying in his head.) No one dared question him after that, at least publicly. After classes, Pansy did try various methods of finding out, some more socially acceptable than others, but if a Malfoy did not want you to know what was going on, not even the best placed mouth could distract him.

There were several reasons for his silence. First of all, for all the wizarding world knew, his father was still in Azkaban and had been since the end of Draco’s fifth year. Actually, Voldemort had arranged his father’s escape sometime early in Draco’s sixth year and Lucius had been hiding in the Manor since then. Really, it didn’t really matter if his fellow Slytherins knew of this escape, but Draco did not feel like sharing that information. He was a Malfoy, they do not answer to anyone they do not want to. So Malfoy stayed silent about the telegram and life went on as normal. There was no reason not to. It did not matter where his parents were; he was still at Hogwarts, at least until June.
Draco was sure that a summons would come before he graduated. After all, where would he go after school? Staying around Hogwarts would be exceedingly boring and pointless. Plus, after he graduated the Dark Lord could really use his services. He could already Apparate, all he needed were his NEWTS and he was a certified wizard. Moreover, his family was in the top rung of Voldemort’s circle. He had worked hard to prove himself worthy, this year more so than any other he may actually beat the mudblood Granger in Potions. It could be said, if Malfoys ever admitted impatience, that Draco was impatient to join his father, but Malfoys never admitted impatience.

Therefore, when the summons had not come by graduation, Draco was slightly surprised. Yet Draco was not worried, he was sure that day he would. The Hogwarts Express left the next day so there was still time. Draco graduated with a smirk on his face, certain that soon he would have more power than most of classmates even dreamed of. He was not disappointed, an owl did arrive for Draco that night as every house was celebrating the last night before vacation. Draco calmly took the letter from an unknown owl as every Slytherin covertly stared while trying not to look like they were interested. Draco’s reaction was typically Malfoyish, which means he showed none, at least not initially. Soon after reading the letter, Draco excused himself to go to his room, his private Slytherin Head Boy room. The second telegram was very like the first one, short and to the point.

Congratulations on graduating. We are not ready. Stay at Hogwarts.

To say that Draco was mad is an understatement. He was furious. He hated the castle and the professors and the grounds and the students and… everything. He did not want to stay here all summer while the rest of his peers, if he could call them that, were off having fun. Even bloody Potter was going to have fun. He had overheard Potty, Weasel, and Mudblood talking about their summers and sounded suspiciously happy. At least Draco would never have to deal with them again. That would be too much to bear and really too much to ask. Now all Draco had to do was to figure out how to amuse himself at Hogwarts over the summer.

~~~


Summer at Hogwarts was just as boring as Draco had predicted. He mainly spent time flying around the Quidditch pitch, not that he did anything different at home. There was one perk to living at Hogwarts as apposed to studying there: he could roam the castle and grounds without supervision. Filch could not touch him. Just to spite Filch, he liked to wander the halls late at night, or at least he liked to think it was to spite Filch. He would never admit to himself that he wandered the halls because he could not sleep and when he did his sleep was filled with restless dreams that usually involved him attacking his father. Not sleeping was a weakness and Malfoys do not show weaknesses. Plus those dreams were absurd. Why would Draco want to attack his father? His father was doing his duty to his Master and family. Draco was still needed, just not at this time. It was the influence of the Gryffindor loving Dumbledore that was getting to him.

Every morning Draco ate in an empty Great Hall. Most of the professors had gone for the summer. Dumbledore remained but was often absent. Draco imagined his Headmaster, former Headmaster, was off coddling his precious Potty. Snape also remained but was absent as well. Draco never really liked the head of his house, there was no reason to. Yes, Snape was a Death Eater, but something was off. He did follow Dumbledore during the year which was very suspicious according to his father. McGonagall was about as well, but much less. Even when the professors were around, Draco got up much later than them, so he never saw them. Dumbledore tried to talk to Draco every once in a while but Draco dismissed him. What was the point? His father was going to send for him very soon.

Draco found out that he could not ignore his former Headmaster forever one morning as he came down to Breakfast. Draco was used to seeing only one place set for him. This morning he saw his place but across from it was Dumbledore. At first Draco just ignored this intrusion yet Dumbledore seemed to have no inclination of leaving. Draco’s curiosity finally got the better of him.

“What do you want Professor?”

“We should talk about your position here for the new school year. I’m sure you realize the students will be returning soon (Draco in fact realized no such thing.) and while you are invited to stay here as long as necessary, you should have a purpose.”

“If you think I am going to teach snot nosed brats about anything you are mistaken,” sneered Draco.

“Actually I thought that since you were Head Boy and know the castle well you could aid us in patrolling. You could become Hogwarts’ Deputy Head Boy. Your job as the Deputy Head Boy is to be in charge of the Head Boy and Girl and Prefects. You coordinate their patrols and they report to you. You can report to Professor McGonagall if anything truly needs our attention, but in most cases you will have last say.”

“I suppose I could do that,” said Draco reluctantly. “At least until my father summons me,” he thought.

“Good,” says Dumbledore with his eyes twinkling, “Now I do believe there is a snitch waiting to be caught.” With that, Dumbledore excused himself from the table and walked sedately out of the Great Hall.

“Meddling old dodder,” thought Draco. “I can’t wait to get out of here.”
Leave a Review