The Pixie Faerie Diaries – Ice Mice Incident

Gareth was going to murder him.

He’d had the girls all day while his brother finished up class late in the afternoon. Their parents were in Paris for a couple days while some work was being done at Agecroft Hall leaving him and Gareth in charge of the girls.

The plan was for him to take care of the girls during the day and for Gareth to keep them at night, since their mum still didn’t allow the girls in the Manor alone.

So, he took them to a play in Regent’s Park. He figured that Ruari would appreciate the culture part and maybe being outside would tucker out Ava. She could be such a handful sometimes.

Only things didn’t go according to plan.

Instead of being interested in the play or enjoying nature they set about demolishing the basket Costa had prepared for their lunch (he didn’t think little girls could eat like that!). Did they eat the fruit and cheeses she packed? Of course not! They went straight for the chocolate éclairs, pumpkin pastries and cauldron cakes.

By the time the play was over, an hour and half later, both of the girls were running around and shouting at the top of their lungs. He had a hard time reigning them back in, so they ran a few errands in Diagon Alley before he dropped them off. Gareth felt a pound of treacle fudge was in order since he was keeping the girls over night. It was just as well, he wanted to pick up some Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans for Costa.

He was not prepared for the mad dash the girls made to the door of the candy store, nearly knocking over a witch and her young son on their way out. He had to make their apologies for them before he entered the store only to find that they were nowhere in sight. He figured he’d get the fudge and find them. It would be easier to herd them out if he’d already made his purchases. He picked up a dozen chocolate roses for Lucy Ann on a whim.

There was a tug on his sleeve as he stood before a large display table, trying to figure out if he wanted sugar quills or peppermint toads for himself. He looked down to see Rauri and Ava stand there with their arms loaded down with all the sweet treats they could carry.

“No,” he stated firmly. “You’ve had enough sugar today.”

“Please, Li Li,” Rauri asked, batting her bright brown eyes at her brother.

“We’ve been good all day,” Ava threw in for good measure.

“No.” He was determined to have a backbone about this. Da had told many a horror story of the girls teaming up to con him into catering to their every want. That’s how he ended up with two cats that he didn’t need or want. Although, Byron and Shelley were growing on him… “No, and I mean it!”

“Please?” Rauri said sweetly. “I”ll love you forever, Li Li.”

“You already love me forever. And no means no.”

Ava smiled. “Can I have a couple ice mice then please, Li Li?”

“No Squirt, you can’t. You’ve had éclairs, pastries and Circe only knows what else today.”

Her head drooped just before all the sweets she was holding fell to floor and her bottom lip began to quiver. “Please?”

“No. And you’re going to pick all of that up and put it back where you got it from.”

Rauri sighed heavily. “Just one chocoball? Please.”

“No, now dry up those tears and do what I told you to do. Who do I look like? Da?”

“No,” she pouted, putting fudge flies back on the shelf just to her right.

Ava scooped up the candy off the floor. “He does too look like Da, Rauri!”

~*~

Thanks to Gilathief for the beta!
Leave a Review