And Baby Makes Three - Da

Draco watched Ginny sleeping soundly in the middle of their big bed. He knew she was exhausted so he sat there guarding her slumber. He’d put out all the candles, leaving only the fire crackling in the fireplace to cast dancing shadows in the darkened room.

He heard the doors softly click open, but he didn’t look up. He already knew who it was.

“Draco, sweetheart, you should be sleeping,” Molly said softly, smiling as she saw her only son-in-law sitting in the rocking chair by the bed. “It’s been a long day.”

“Not tired,” he replied quietly, glancing up at his mother-in-law. He was still getting used to her, he still thought she was loud and brash, but she meant well and she was growing on him.

Molly was dressed for bed so it was probably late, but he had no clue as to the time.

She planted a small kiss on top his pale head as she leaned down from behind him to place her hand atop her sleeping grandson’s head. Draco shifted the baby he held in his arms so she could take a look at him. She smiled at the fact he held the baby like it was the most fragile thing in the world, like he was scared he was going to break him.

“How long has little Liam been asleep?” Her broad smile was evident in her voice. She loved all of her grandchildren yes, but this one was special. The first child her of last baby and only daughter, William Draco Malfoy was very much a special child. Named for an uncle he’d never know, but without which neither of his parents would be here. She hastily brushed tears from her eyes, it was a happy day, a day celebrating a new baby in the family, there would be time for tears for her eldest child later.

“A few hours.”

“I dare say he’ll be wanting to be fed again here soon.”

“I wish we didn’t have to wake her,” Draco said, nodding toward the sleeping form of his wife. “She’s so exhausted.”

Molly chuckled at his concern and patted his shoulder lightly, he’d certainly come a long way since they’d first met. “Having babies is exhausting business, but us women manage. Besides we can’t have a hungry, crying baby on our hands now can we.”

He just nodded. Draco knew little about babies being an only child. Narcissa wasn’t about to ruin her figure just to supply him with siblings so he could learn about these things. He’d been around the few Weasley grandchildren, but he’d kept his distance unlike Ginny who got right into the fray. None of their friends had started families yet so he had precious little experience with babies.

Except this time it was different, this was his child, his son, in all his red, wrinkly, bald headed glory. Draco wasn’t sure what color the baby’s eyes were because he couldn’t seem to keep them open long enough to make any sort of determination. He really wasn’t sure what to do exactly, but what he’d done so far had seemed to work okay since his son hadn’t cried once. All he knew was that he couldn’t bear to put him down in the cradle. He’d already counted Liam’s fingers and toes three times just to make sure he was perfect.

“Draco, why don’t you give me the baby,” Molly held her arms out to him. “You can get ready for bed.”

He debated a few moments before Liam decided to start stirring. He tried lightly rubbing the baby’s head to calm him back into sleep, but it was to no avail as he started to make small mewling sounds. Draco reluctantly handed off his son to Molly before the whimpers turned into something that woke the entire house.

Molly gave Draco a motherly shove. “Go on now. Get ready for bed. You’ll be needing some sleep because you’ll have a house full tomorrow.”

He brushed a soft kiss on the top of his son’s head before heading towards the bath with one last glance back just to make sure he was alright.
Leave a Review