And Baby Makes Three - Rainy Day

“Master Draco,” the house-elf said quietly, shaking his shoulder lightly. “Wake up time, Master Draco…”

He groaned. It was still dark – way too early to get up. “What time is it?”

“Wake up time,” the house-elf squeaked. “Quarter to the hour, sir.”

He stretched, feeling his wife’s warm body shift to accommodate his movement; as usual she was draped across him. She mumbled a protest, but didn’t wake up. This was the routine they’d fallen into since a few months before Liam was born when she stopped working to get settled in the new house. He would rise every morning after disentangling himself from her, shower, shave and get ready. He’d have a cup of coffee and read the paper before she joined him for breakfast.

Draco dressed quietly, glancing occasionally at the sleeping Ginny wishing he didn’t have to leave. It was a dreadful morning - dark, windy, pouring rain, just the kind of day that would be perfect for staying in bed all day with the one you love. He sighed heavily. It wasn’t meant to be this day, he had meetings all morning. He gently brushed the wild tangle of red hair from her face so he could kiss her cheek before he pulled the cover up over her shoulder.

“You’ve two owls, sir,” Millie stated as soon as he pulled the door behind him. She was his mother’s old house-elf and he had fond memories of her from his childhood. She was starting to tack on the years so her only real assignment anymore was to help Ginny with the baby. “Millie put on table with your coffee, sir.”

“Thank you,” he said absently with a glance toward the nursery door.

“Sleeping still Liam is,” she informed him.

“Don’t wake Ginny this morning, she’s tired.”

Millie bobbed her head answering with a “yes, sir” before disappearing with a pop at the snap of her fingers.

He slipped quietly in the door to check on his sleeping son. Liam was sprawled on his back with a little stuffed golden snitch clutched in his fist. Draco felt his chest tighten at the sight. Just when he thought he couldn’t love this little boy any more, he found that he could and did.

“That’s Daddy’s little boy,” he whispered, reaching down to lightly run his fingers over the sleeping baby’s head. “You’re going to be a seeker for Slytherin, I know it. The best one, ever.” He grinned like a fool at the thought of him and Ginny making the trek to Hogwarts to watch their son play his first Quidditch match. “As much as Daddy wants to stay home, he has to go to work to pay for all those Quidditch lessons you’ll be having in a few years.”

A soft padding behind him caught his attention as he read the business section of the Daily Prophet while working on his third cup of coffee sitting at the kitchen table. They rarely used the huge dining room table, too impersonal Ginny claimed. He could tell by the soft rustle of material it was his wife.

“I overslept,” she said, kissing the top if his head on the way to her chair. Liam was sleeping soundly, his head resting on her shoulder and he was still clutching the snitch. She glanced out the window. “What a dreadful morning.”

“Yes, I told Millie not wake you this morning.” He could see the old house-elf hovering in the corner of the room beadily eyeing Ginny holding the baby.

“She didn’t. I woke up because I missed you,” she said softly.

Draco took her hand in his, bringing it to his lips. “I’ll miss you more today while I’m at the office.” He glanced up at the clock. “I’ve got to go, beautiful. Put Liam back to bed, I don’t think he’s ready to be up just yet.”

He tried to ignore her pout as he kissed her goodbye and her heavy sigh as he brushed a light kiss against the back of the baby’s head. His knees nearly buckled at the whispered plea: “Stay home with us…please.” It was all he could do not to give in right then and there.

“I’ll owl you later.” He straightened up and turned towards the door, determined not to look at her or else he would crumble. “Go back to bed this is a perfect day for that.” He exited the room before she could give him that big brown eyed sorrowful look that he could never resist.

Addison, the long time Malfoy family butler, was holding his case for him while he slipped on his black work robes. When he looked up his wife was standing before him with her head bowed looking lost in his big, thick dark gray dressing robe. He hadn’t noticed she had it on before now. Her hair was a messy tangle of red curls haphazardly pulled back with a clip. His fingers itched to feel the silky strands.

“What Ginny? I really need to go.” He could feel his resolve weakening.

She just looked up at him with big sad eyes and a slight pout on her lips. She reached her arms out for him. He knew it would be his undoing, taking her in his arms, but he did it anyway. She pressed closer to him as his hands ran down her backside, her arms wrapped around his shoulders.

Ginny pressed a soft kiss against his neck. “Stay home,” she mumbled, her lips lightly brushing his ear. “Please.” She placed feather light kisses along his jaw.

Unable to stand it any longer, he captured her lips in a kiss. Her mouth opened instinctively to him as he deepened the kiss. He could feel her body melting against him as her arms tightened around his neck. Any resolve he might have had disappeared the very moment she tenderly sucked at his bottom lip.

“Merlin, woman,” he panted as he pulled away. “What are you trying to do to me?”

“I just wanted to give you a proper kiss goodbye s’all.” She gave him the most innocent look in the world as she gingerly chewed her bottom lip.

“You win,” he sighed, completely defeated by a look and kiss from the redhead standing before him. “I’ll owl work, but if we can’t afford Quidditch lessons for Liam in the future you’ll know why.”

“Oh, I don’t think that’ll be a problem,” she giggled before kissing him soundly.

Draco smiled as he settled back in his big bed a little while later with his still snoozing son snuggled on his chest and his wife curled against his side. She had her head on his shoulder, her leg casually toss over his thigh, her fingers lightly rubbing Liam’s foot, occasionally brushing against his ribs. He could still hear the wind and rain pelting against the windows.

It was the perfect kind of day to stay in bed with the two people he loved the most in the world. He was glad he didn’t fight his wife on this.

Besides, it’s not like he would have been able to say no to her anyway.
Leave a Review