Disclaimer: I own nothing, Harry Potter et al. belong to JKR. Story inspired by watching Bend it like Beckham... which is also sadly, not mine.


Cultured Left Foot


Chapter 1: New Alliances


"Ten... eleven... twelve... thirteen... fourteen..." Draco counted to himself. If he kept focused he was positive he would reach twenty-five easily. So engrossed in his task he failed to hear the solid steps resounding in the hallway. It wasn't until he heard the strong rapping on the door to his chamber that his concentration broke and a heavy thump was heard inside the room.

"Blast!" he muttered.

His father pushed the door open as Draco quickly nudged the football under his bed.

He watched as his father' eyes swept swiftly around the chamber, looking for the errant muggle toy. Nothing.

"Son," he spoke softly, "did I, or did I not, hear one of those blasted balls drop before I entered?"

Draco swallowed, trying to remain unaffected by his father's tone. "No sir, I've rid the house of them as you requested." He replied, taking care to keep his gaze steady on his father.

"Sit down for a moment Draconis."

"But father, shouldn't I be leaving for the Express?"

"It won't take a moment." Draco felt a small push from bit of his father's magic. It landed him on his school trunk.

"Now, I know I have made this clear on many previous occasions, but to make it crystal; I will not tolerate any deviations of behavior this year. You are a pure-blooded wizard Draconis, you will act like one in all occasions and circumstances. Your mother and I have been guilty of coddling you when you were younger, but no longer will we be lenient. We have great things planned for you, son, there will be no more tom-foolery. Severus will be reporting to me on a regular basis. If you fail to live up to my expectations... well... let's not worry about that, shall we? There will be no trouble. Isn't that correct?"

"Yes, sir." Draco lowered his head in acceptable submission. He didn't want to fathom what would befall him if he let his father down.

"Good, son, good. Now go downstairs to the lounge and kiss your mother goodbye, she will be terribly lonely with both you and I away."

Lucius turned and left the room, leaving Draco alone again. Crouching, he reached under his bed and withdrew his football, casually tossing it up in the air as he contemplated his father's words.

Since his first year he had left the toy at home while he went away to school, only playing with it during the lonely summer months at the manor. However, now that it was a banned item he would have to take it with him. He had no choice. The house elves would surely find it among his things and report it to his father before he left for parts unknown. Popping the lid to his trunk, he shoved the offensive item into the neatly folded piles of clothing, and closed it back up. Turning his back to it, he grabbed his cloak off his bed and headed downstairs to say goodbye to his mother.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arriving only slightly early for the Hogwart's Express, Draco had little time to find a valet to handle his trunk and then situate himself comfortably in his own compartment. Luckily, he didn't have to waste time getting smothered by parents and well-wishers. 'Errgh,' Draco thought to himself, 'the sentimentality some people show in public is disgusting.'
He had seen the Weasleys rush in through the gate, with Potter in tow, all hugging and kissing their goodbyes. 'It is no wonder they're considered lower-class,' he reflected. 'Honestly, did no one ever teach them the common rules of etiquette? Father would be apoplectic if anyone in our family attempted that.'

Moving through the train, Draco glanced through the compartment windows to find a vacant space. He passed the compartment with Crabbe and Goyle with only a nod in their direction; he had seen them only a week ago at the Crabbe's Annual Summer Picnic in Avebury. No, he decided to share a compartment with Nott, who, according to his recent Hogwart's letter, he would be sharing a room with this year.

As he approached the compartment he studied the tall, stringy boy. Draco had never really known him very well. They were acquaintances at best, accordingly. Class-wise, they were equals, and thinking on it, that was probably why they hadn't moved in the same circles. Lucius Malfoy always preferred to have the highest status in any group he associated with socially. The biggest fish in a little pond. Upon entering Hogwarts, Draco already had a small group of comrades because of this and hadn't bothered to enlarge it.

He knew Nott's father was involved in the same business as his father though, and so chose to proceed with caution.

He rapped a hand quietly on the compartment door, getting Nott's attention. Nott looked up from his book and signaled for Draco to enter. Nodding politely, Draco came into the compartment and sat opposite his new dorm mate, carefully taking off his leather gloves as he prepared to greet the other boy.

"Malfoy," Nott began instead, "I was wondering when I'd see your face around here, I had a feeling that you'd be by to chat before we reached Hogwarts."

"Really?" Malfoy quirked an eyebrow, and let a small smirk escape, "You must excel in Legilimency, then, because here I am, as you see."

"Indeed." Nott surmised. "So, you're to be my dorm mate are you?"

"I suppose." Draco grimaced slightly. "Terribly barbaric don't you think, that we don't receive our own chambers until seventh year?"

Nott cracked a small grin. "Tell me about it, at home I have a complete wing."

Draco let a small chuckle escape and nodded in agreement. This may not be so terrible rooming with Nott, it was rather refreshing speaking with someone who could relate to him. Crabbe and Goyle were fine for security. They were all-right blokes if truth be told, but honestly, they had about the combined mental capacity of a flobberworm.

"Though, it is a step in the right direction. At least, it beats sharing a dorm with four others for the entire school year. Five years of that was more than enough." Nott finished.

The two continued chatting about small things until the witch with the trolley came around.

The witch hesitated at the compartment containing the two well-dressed young wizards, she watched them quietly, noticing their straight posture and attentive manner. Nott noticed her first, and turned towards the door, raising a demeaning eyebrow at being interrupted.

"What do you want, witch?" He inquired.

"Oh my, yes young sirs, anything off the trolley?"

Nott looked to Malfoy, questioning him with a raised brow.

"One packet of frogs for myself. Nott?" His partner shook his head slightly. "No, then just a packet of frogs."

He handed her a galleon from his robe pocket. Waving her off when she began to pull out change.

The witch nodded gratefully then headed down the hallway to the next compartment.

Draco looked over to Nott, who had pulled out a pomegranate and was judiciously pulling out the seeds to eat.

"Not a sweets fan, I see." Draco presumed.

Nott looked up, and said wistfully, "I don't mind candy, though Bertie Bott's is always a gamble, but I can't stand the taste of chocolate. Like the smell mind you, but you'd have to pay me a princely sum to eat that wretched stuff," pointing to the chocolate frog Draco had begun to eat.

Their conversation was interrupted once again when Potter and his sidekicks decided to enter their compartment, uninvited of course. Draco appraised them with a bored look on his face.

"What, miss me Potter? Honestly, I really don't want to spar with you right now. In fact, I've had a change of heart," he spoke sarcastically, "I really never want to bother with you again. It's far too much trouble." Motioning them away with his hand, Draco turned his gaze back to Nott, ignoring the group in the doorway.

"You're just scared Malfoy, after what we did to you on the train last time, you're afraid we'll do it again."

Draco resisted rolling his eyes. Last time it had been an extremely unfair fight, and not only that, but he had let his temper get out of control, never again would that happen. His father had made it absolutely clear about that; when he had gotten back from Azkaban and heard about the incident. Draco was not about to risk receiving... that punishment again, it had been far more than unpleasant.

"If you please Potter, you're interrupting our conversation. Shockingly, I'm asking you nicely this one time, leave."

They continued to stand in the doorway, slightly confused at Malfoy's behavior.

"Oh, for Merlin's sake, bugger off Gryffs." Nott piped up, his patience running out with the dumbfounded students.

The group was startled into action and not knowing what else to say or do, they turned and left. A small redheaded girl was the last to leave, throwing a small wink at Nott before she left, muttering something vaguely like 'Since when did Malfoy grow up?'

Draco had taken notice of the girl's actions, and queried his fellow Slytherin.

"Well, well, Mr. Nott, is there something else I should be told about if I intend to share a room with you over the school year? Sleepovers with redheads, perhaps?" He smirked.

Nott chuckled. "No, no, nothing like that with her... although you may see me with a certain Ravenclaw from time to time. She's just a friend."

"Crossing House boundaries all over the place, you must be very brave or very dim, I think, unless there's some missing bit of information that you haven't revealed."

Nott just grinned at him. "I am neither, but I am a man of many secrets, we'll just have to see how many you get to be privy to, eh?"

Draco leaned back into his seat, a grin curving up his face. "I think I'm going to enjoy this year Nott."

"Call me Alex." He said, stretching out a hand,

"Draco." Draco replied, stretching out his own hand to clasp Alex's firmly.

They shook and drifted back into their conversation.

"Now about this Ravenclaw..."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's etc: it's a start... we'll see where it ends up... any feedback so far?
Leave a Review