Disclaimer: All the characters and HP world belong to JK Rowling. The plot though, is by yours truly.

Cultured Left Foot

Chapter Three: A Hero is Born, Sort of



Alex left Draco alone for the next few days, which gave the young Malfoy plenty of time to dwell on the recent revelations. Alex faded into the background, and the only time Draco saw him in the Slytherin common room was one night when he was helping Blaise with Arithmancy. Draco, on the other hand, lorded over the common room by retreating to his secure clique, allowing Pansy to fawn over him, and Crabbe and Goyle to trail after him like lost Crups. Here he was safe, he knew what to expect from these sycophants, and enjoyed the attention they paid to him. The only trouble was that they were incredibly dull.

Though Draco had only spent a few weeks in Nott’s company, He already missed the comraderie they had developed. It had been so refreshing having someone whom he could relate to, well, for the most part. He still wasn’t sure what to make of Alex’s social beliefs, they were just so different than what they had both been brought up to believe. And yet, it seemed that through these new beliefs he had managed to escape the black future that awaited those in Slytherin House. Nott hadn’t yet been sucked into the darkness which seemed to tug at Draco constantly.

The following Friday evening, Draco found himself wandering the halls, a welcome respite from the now stuffy common room, in search of diversion. He had just past the Potions classroom when he heard noises from a nearby alcove. Draco rolled his eyes in dismay, when will people learn to bloody well get a room. Draco had all intentions of ruining their fun and docking points, until he heard a loud giggle followed by a familiar voice muttering, “Shhh, Padma!”

At this turn of events, Draco decided to instead, leave quietly so as not to disturb them, a courtesy he felt Nott would have done for him as well. Turning to retrace his steps, Draco heard the unmistakable heavy footfalls of his Potions Professor thundering down the corridor towards them, probably on his way to his classroom. Draco snapped his head backwards searching for the couple in the alcove and noticed that the giggling and whispers were getting louder, unfortunately the young lovers seemed to be oblivious to anyone but each other. Draco briefly swallowed a grimace at their behavior and thought quickly; first a warning, then he had to distract Snape in order to give them enough time to escape down to the far end of the hall and up the adjoining staircase. Easy, right?

Draco stalked quickly towards the alcove.

“Psst! You there, Nott, Patil!”

They stopped their ministrations abruptly and stared at him, Nott looked rather hacked off.

“Malfoy, do you mind? We w…”

“Quiet, no time, Snape’s on his way, he’ll butcher you if he finds you here, especially with her.”

Draco watched their expressions change instantaneously to ones of fear.

“Shit! But he’s never in this corridor on Friday nights! He’s supposed to be all cosied up in his quarters with that Reserve Hogwan Brandy I sent.”

“Shut your gob! Just go down the hall, stick to the doorways, then up the stairs, I’ll cover for you.”

Nott flashed a quick smile and pulled Padma along the dungeon wall towards safety. It was none to soon for Snape came into view only moments later with a cross look in his eye.

“Who’s down there?” He called, and Draco who was assiduously eyeing a large portrait, turned casually to face his teacher.

“Just me, sir.” Snape looked down at the young wizard, raising an eyebrow in disbelief. “The common room’s terribly stuffy, so I thought I’d take a turn about the dungeons.”

“I thought I heard voices, Draconis. And don’t tell me it was you, boy. I’ve known you since you were as nary as big as a hinkypunk, it was not your voice.”

“It was that old codger Cadogan. I just watched him ride off. Seems he had quite a falling out with the Crones a painting down the way, had to tell every canvas his grievances, made quite the fuss, if you ask me.”

“I didn’t boy.” Snape glanced around the cavernous corridor, no noise could be heard now. His gaze came back to rest on the adolescent wizard, the boy met his gaze unflinchingly. This boy,’Severus thought, what a waste. Snape knew this boy possessed potential, but was helpless against his overpowering father, who had been Severus’ best friend once upon a time. Snape shook his head and sighed minutely, then brought back his usual sour expression. So be it.

“Very well. Though you should not be down here Draco,” his voice softened slightly, “its past curfew and only prefects on duty have the right to patrol, you know that.”

“Yes, sir, I must have lost track of time, I’ll get going now.”

Snape nodded in agreement. “Yes, yes, go to bed my boy. I have to retrieve something from my desk. I bid you good night.”

Draco bowed his head briefly in a show of respect, before replying, “Yes, Godfather, good night,” and walking calmly down the hall towards the Slytherin House.


---------------------------------------------------------------------

When Draco finally got back to his bedroom he found Alex was there, lounging alone on his four poster, looking slightly pensive. When he noticed that Draco had entered, his expression lightened up, but he continued to stay quiet for a few moments.

Draco walked to one of his bookcases and pulled out a volume, waiting for Nott to speak up. While he was paging through it, Nott asked a questioned haltingly.

“So, everything all clear then? No problems getting away from the Old Boy?”

Draco shook his head distractedly, “No, no problem.” Draco turned to face Alex, “A great deal of trouble for a skirt though, wasn’t it?”

Alex grinned widely, “Oh, mate, you have no idea. She’d be worth a lot more than that, Merlin’s honour, eh.”

A Ravenclaw, worth that?’He thought disgustedly. He highly doubted it, why bother, honestly.

Alex, who could read the skepticism on Draco’s face, thought that a demonstration might be in order. In fact, he’s earned a night out, after what he had risked for Padma and himself. Alex had been trying to imagine how he could return the favour to Draco and this would be a perfect opportunity. It also might open his eyes a little bit more, and just perhaps his understanding. Hopefully, his coin pouch too, Alex smirked.

With mischief in his eyes, Alex began to present Draco’s reward to him. An invitation.

“Well, nevermind. Anyways, it’s my duty as a gentleman to thank you properly, and I think you deserve a night in good company. Pretty witches, an ickle bit of Vilion that managed to get accidentally stowed in my school trunk..”

Alex’s roommate began to smile. A night out sounded perfect. He could get away from that minger and those dunces, and have a proper week-end. Brilliant. Draco brightened up, though from Alex’s expression it looked rather more like mischief than kindness.

“Sounds very tempting Master Nott, and this group would be..?”

“Well, I can promise you they are all close friends of mine, and are very game for some new blood into our little gatherings. They are also very discreet, if that is what you were getting at.”

Alex circled the obvious answer, because Draco knew what it would be anyway. Yes, some are from different Houses, and yes, some are not exactly pure-blooded. But Draco had proven himself tonight to be trustworthy and a good mate, so Alex believed he could handle the small, assorted group that gathered every Saturday night in an abandoned dungeon on the west side of the castle.

Draco raised one eyebrow at him.

“Tomorrow evening, just meet me in here around eight-ish. We’ll leave for it together. I’ll show you the way. Interested?” Alex grinned cockily.

“Why not? If I spend one more night locked up in here I’m apt to become quite the headcase. Sure, I’ll come. As you said, can’t knock it until I’ve tried it, right?”

“That’s the spirit.” Alex reached over to pick up a book from his bedside table. “Oh, and by the way, have you spent all your allowance this month yet?

Draco looked up, confused. “Hardly, I’m loaded. Why do you ask, need a loan or something?”

“Not yet, mate. But you’ll need some dosh for tomorrow night.” Alex explained nonplussed, though Draco eyeing him still looked perplexed. “And I know your going to ask why, but let’s just leave it as a surprise all right? Trust me, just this once.”


-----------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to send me a review to let me know how I’m doing!
Cheers, -sweetp
Leave a Review