Reviews: 7 | Table of Contents | - Text Size +
Microsoft Word Printer ePub eBook

Liars


There are always little bits of truth staring you in the face, no matter whether you’re living a lie or just ignoring. They’re never all too obvious until something turns everything around and you can’t help but notice.

There are always little lies that you can’t help but believe, no matter whether you believe them because the truth is harder or you prefer to ignore. You think they’re true until you see the bits staring, and everything turns itself around.

It’s crystal clear then.

His truth was harder than most, so he accepted the cleverly wrought lie all the more eagerly. He ignored the obvious falsity, instead looking down on what he was supposed to look down on and pretending not to notice when something proved that the lie was really lying.

He pretended that he was better off with his money and blood than those with love and happiness and everything else that actually mattered. He pretended that he was better off with the friends who weren’t than those with friends who were. He pretended that the man he called “father” was someone to look up to and admire.

And he believed it, for a while.

She didn’t like that she was left out, ignored, invisible but still able to be seen. So she wasn’t. It was that simple, if she made it that way. Just lie, tell them things were fine, and act like being treated like an inanimate object didn’t matter, and everything would be fine and right and better.

She liked to think that her handsome prince would rescue her again, even though he’d found a princess already. She liked to think that one day she would be loved and admired, that she the youngest would have her claim to fame like the rest did. She liked to think that the people who she called “friends” cared at least a little bit.

And she believed it until it was.

They lied on purpose. Did they honestly believe anything they told themselves? Maybe. If it was easier, it was better, right? But nods didn’t show, and they started to wonder. Were things right because they said so?

Wondering destroys it all.

They met when he and her prince had a fight and she stepped in. He was immature then, not yet wondering, still hanging tenaciously onto everything “father” stood for. He was rude and lacking conscience, spitting insults and not even bothering to thing of whether they had any meaning, really. She had only just begun to spin her tangled web.

Then “father” had to pull her deeper in, forcing the lie to spin itself, making her lose all control. Her handsome prince saved her from an early end, but all that she had afterwards was ashes anyways. Ashes and ink and blood and paper, all mixed together and spilled all over.

And no one even noticed ‘till the end.

They never really met until friends of hers and his put them together by accident. They fit just right, even if they weren’t supposed to. Mirror images and perfect opposites at once, and maybe that was enough.

It was enough then. They talked for what felt like forever, and they almost felt better. This wasn’t what they were taught, but it didn’t matter anymore. The bits were visible then, for the both of them. Once you see the bits, the lie starts to dissolve.

That’s really all it takes.

She the youngest doesn’t need a claim to fame. She the youngest doesn’t need a handsome prince. She the youngest doesn’t need to lie anymore. All she needs is someone who can really see her. Someone who fits perfectly.

He knows that he doesn’t have to pretend anymore. He has no need for looking down or up at the wrong people, the wrong things. All he needs is someone he doesn’t have to lie to. Someone who fits perfectly.

It’s crystal clear now.


Author Notes: This was thought up while listening to Little Devotional by Taking Back Sunday. It doesn't have anything to do with the song, but I just thought I'd mention that.
Reviews are appreciated.
To Be Continued.
Tryphe is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Liars also liked 134 other stories.
Leave a Review