Title: A Matter of Identity
Author: ragdollangel
Categories: Humor, Romance
Disclaimer: They aren't mine (I wish they were). All hail JKR.
Feedback: I love reviews… almost as much as I love Draco ::sighs::
Date Posted: 20th April, 2005

[Author’s Note] Thanks a lot to everyone who reviewed, and another big thankyou to Chuya for the beta-ing and the help =)



Repercussions


Draco was standing under a tree, when he saw Ginny coming towards him, dressed in another bizarre concoction of cloth. He bowed, and said, “Good evening, my Lady.”

“Good evening,” she smiled.

There was an awkward pause as he struggled to remember her name.
“Ah”, he exclaimed, then caught himself and continued mildly, “Lady Elspeth, would you allow me the pleasure of your company while I walk this evening?”

Ginny blushed, and replied, “Yes.”

A group of curious first years paused to listen, but Draco glared at them and they scurried away frantically.

They strolled in silence for a while, before Draco cleared his throat and began, “I would like to uh-sincerely apologize for my unforgivable behavior last night.” He turned to look at her. “I did not realize what I was saying, and I hope that you will forgive me.”

“Most certainly, my Lord,” replied Ginny. “I realize that you must have been tired after the long trip from your mother’s house. But you were very late—are you having trouble with your horse?”

“Yes, I suppose so,” said Draco vaguely.

“You must ask Perkins to see to it,” said Ginny. “I would, but I find him a rather unpleasant specimen of humanity.”

“What do you mean?” he asked, hiding a grin.

“He is bad tempered and insolent,” replied Ginny, wrinkling her nose delicately. “That class of people are so hard to tolerate sometimes.”

Draco couldn’t hide his smile this time. The girl was actually serious.

“My mother says the same thing,” he told her. “Servants these days honestly do not seem to know their place.”

Ginny nodded in agreement, “Exactly.”

“They drive her insane,” continued Draco, “and since my father has been in Azka- the army, things are even more difficult for her. I worry about her sometimes.”

Draco stopped in surprise. Why was he discussing his personal life with a Weasley? Granted, she thought she was nobility and not a Weasley- but it was still unsettling.

“Lady Elspeth,” he said suddenly. He paused, a wicked glint in his eyes. “When I was at home, my mother spoke to me of something that I found very interesting, and I feel it is something that you would wish to know as well.”

“What is it, my Lord?”

Draco appeared to look hesitant, “It may not be considered proper to speak of this with you.”

“You must tell me,” Ginny persisted.

---

“What are they talking about?” asked Ron, frowning, “and how long are they planning to stroll around like a pair of idiots?”

He was leaning against a pillar, carefully out of sight, and peeking out occasionally for a surreptitious glance at Draco and Ginny. He did not approve of the walks, but Hermione had insisted that they were necessary.

“She’s in a much better mood now,” remarked Hermione. “Ally told me she got very upset about something and broke a teacup in the morning.”

“Of course she’s in a better mood,” muttered Ron. “She has that git simpering all over her with his ‘my Lady’ nonsense—what did you expect?”

“Well,” said Hermione, “as long as Malfoy keeps her sane for the next few days, that’s all I really care about. The less we have to do with someone like him, the better.”

“He hasn’t been as horrid as usual, has he?” Harry said thoughtfully, “since his father went to Azkaban, I mean.”

“I don’t care,” said Ron in frustration. “I wouldn’t trust that bloody ferret with anything, and there he is, waltzing around with my little sister, and all we can do is watch. No, let me correct that- you’re the ones who had the daft idea in the first place.”

“Well, do you have a better idea, then?” asked Hermione crossly.

“Anything would have been better than involving him,” argued Ron. “He’s up to something, I know it. Malfoy isn’t the kind of person who just helps people out.”

“They’re headed this way,” warned Harry.

Ron groaned and moved away before Ginny could see him.

---

Draco turned towards Hermione and bowed, “Good evening, my Lady.”

“And my Lord,” he added, glancing at Harry, who looked uncomfortable and bowed back.

“You have a very charming daughter”, Draco said. “Very intelligent, and very beautiful.”

Ginny blushed and kept her eyes demurely on the ground.

Hermione smiled politely, not knowing what else to do.

“Ah, Perkins,” drawled Draco lazily, catching sight of Ron. “Give my horse a good rub down will you? And make it quick.”

Ron’s face turned the same color as his hair, and he walked away hurriedly, clenching his fists.

“So how long are you with us for?” asked Harry.

“You very kindly invited me to stay here for the summer,” replied Draco smoothly, “and I wouldn’t dream of leaving earlier- at least as long as Lady Elspeth remains here. I hope you would not mind if I borrowed your rifle to go hunting?”

Hermione stared at him in disbelief.

“Not at all,” said Harry faintly.

“I will take my leave now,” continued Draco.

“And I hope to see you tomorrow again, my Lady,” he said, raising Ginny’s hand to his lips.

Harry rolled his eyes. Draco ignored him and made his farewell bow with a flourish.

---

“Is it true, mother?” asked Ginny, later that evening.

“Is what true?”

“That Sir Giles and Father were your suitors, and fought a duel over you. And that Sir Giles dropped his sword clumsily, allowing father to win easily.”

Hermione’s jaw dropped.

“I always considered him to be rather foolish,” continued Ginny scornfully, “but now he has fallen even lower in my opinion. I can understand why you disregarded your affection for him, mother. Dropping his sword, indeed. How shameful.”

“Where did you hear this?” gasped Hermione.

“Lord James was speaking of it,” replied Ginny.

“Oh, I should have known,” muttered Hermione to herself, “and just wait till Harry hears this.”

---

“Malfoy, what DO you think you’re doing?”

Harry and Hermione had cornered Draco in the hallway.

“Oh, so do you two think that you’re the only ones who can make stories up for her?” asked Draco smoothly.

“I know you can’t stand Ginny,” said Hermione, “but please remember that it’s only for a little while, and no one honestly wanted to involve you- it just happened.”

She frowned, and continued, “What was all that about a rifle and going hunting?”

“Isn’t that what rich Muggles used to do?” asked Draco pensively. “I was just trying to be authentic.”

“But stuffing her with absolute rot wasn’t part of the agreement,” persisted Harry. “There is such a thing as overdoing it, Malfoy, and I don’t care how much you’re enjoying yourself- we really can’t have any more nonsense like that.”

“I really don’t remember any specific agreement,” said Draco smugly, “and it really wasn’t all that bad an anecdote. I thought it had a certain ring of authenticity to it as well.” He smirked and walked away.

He stopped before he turned around the corner. "Oh, one more thing Granger,” he said, “you’re wrong. I do find the Weasley girl very interesting.”

Harry and Hermione stood there, staring at him blankly until he moved away.

“Okay,” said Harry finally, “I don’t think those walks were such a good idea.”


---x---x---
Leave a Review