Title: A Matter of Identity
Author: ragdollangel
Categories: Humor, Romance
Disclaimer: They aren't mine (I wish they were). All hail JKR.
Feedback: I love reviews… almost as much as I love Draco ::sighs::
Date Posted: 25th April, 2005

[Author's Note] Thanks again to everyone who bothered to review =) And to Chuya for the beta-ing.



Abrupt Changes


Although Harry and Hermione tried their hardest to stop them, the walks continued. And as the days passed, Ginny became more cheerful and less demanding. A careful observer might also have noticed that Draco seemed to look forward to their evenings together--not that he would have admitted to it, of course.

The sun was setting as they walked. He said something amusing to her and she smiled up at him.

Harry sat watching them, a frown on his face. Ginny had announced to him in the morning that Lord James told her that he had gotten the scar on his forehead when he tripped and fell down the stairs. The day before that she had asked Hermione if it was true that Perkins had been caught stealing food from the kitchens.

Harry frowned again. The sooner this was over, the better. Why was it that Malfoy always had the better end of things, no matter what?

---

Draco was walking down the hallway later that evening, when Pansy Parkinson caught up with him and grabbed him by his shoulder.
“Still seeing that Weasley girl, eh Draco?” she asked nastily.

“What I do, or who I am seen with is none of your business, and let's keep it that way,” replied Draco shortly. “Now run along. Isn’t there some other unfortunate soul you could annoy?”

Pansy ignored him.

“I don’t care what you told the rest of them,” she said. “I don’t believe that you’re only doing this because you enjoy lording over those three.”

“What do you know about anything?” Draco sneered.

“Oh, you’d be surprised,” she shot back. “I think you rather enjoy your walks with that little twit, although I simply can’t think why.”

Draco’s eyes glinted dangerously.

“Well Parkinson,” he said. “I’ve known you for years, and her for a week. Let’s just say that conversation with her is a little more stimulating.”

He walked away, leaving Pansy glaring at nothing in particular.

---

Ginny smiled at Draco across the room. She didn’t exactly understand why he couldn’t sit at her table, but she didn’t mind as long as she could see him.

He shot a quick glance around to make sure no one was watching, then smiled back.

Harry was picking at his food, vaguely wondering what it would be like when Ginny finally recovered. It had only been a week, but it seemed like months.

Hermione sighed. She missed having a life of her own. Being Ginny’s mother was tiring, and she constantly felt physically and emotionally drained. ‘Elspeth’ was a hard person to handle and it usually fell to Hermione to calm her down when she had one of her infamous mood swings.

Ally and Ron sat in their customary place at the other end of the table, out of Ginny’s sight. Ron was talking animatedly with his mouth full, but Ally looked gloomy. Being treated like someone’s personal slave was taxing on one’s nerves.

---

“Hello there, Elspeth,” cooed Pansy.

She had caught up with Ginny and Hermione after dinner.

“So how are you?”

“I am fine, thank you,” replied Ginny. “But I am afraid I have not made your acquaintance.”

“Oh, so has Lord James never mentioned me?” asked Pansy coyly.

Hermione held her breath. Was the girl out of her mind?

“I’m an old friend,” she continued. “My name’s Pansy. I’ve known Lord James for many years, and I assure you I have his best interests in heart.”

“What do you mean?” asked Ginny.

“Oh, they haven’t told you?” Pansy raised an eyebrow. “My poor child, your mother-” she looked accusingly at Hermione- “has forced Lord James to court you.”

“It isn’t a very nice thing to do, is it?” she continued condescendingly. “I mean—you, of all people, know how important it is to always be respectable. I just thought it was time you let the poor boy be.”

The color slowly drained from Ginny’s face.

“Is this true?” she asked Hermione quietly.

Before she could answer, she swept down the hallway and up the stairs.

“What do you think you’re doing?” asked Hermione angrily.

“Oh, come on,” said Pansy lazily, “You people don’t want Draco around her, and I think it would be best for him if he stopped seeing her. I did us all a favor. This way everybody wins.”

---

“Are you not capable of doing anything right??” yelled Ginny, “You stupid girl! I shall have you flogged for this!”

Ally’s hands shook as she bent to pick up the hairbrush that she had dropped. Taking a deep breath, she started combing Ginny’s hair again.

Ginny was still very pale. Although she tried convincing herself that she didn’t believe a word that girl had just said, it had affected her. She had seen it in her mother’s eyes. It was true. She didn’t want to believe it, but she knew it was true.

“Stop it, you fool!” she screamed, “You’re hurting me!”

She grabbed the hairbrush from a stunned Ally’s hand and flung it across the room, narrowly missing the window.

Ally’s lips tightened. There was only so much she could take.

“I’m leaving.”

“What?” asked Ginny in disbelief.

“I said I’m leaving. Find yourself a new maid. I’m not coming back.”

She walked out and shut the door firmly behind her.

---

“This is getting worse,” sighed Hermione, “I just don’t know what to do. Ally said she wouldn’t be doing this anymore, and after last night I don’t know what to say to Ginny.”

“Just tell her it’s the truth,” said Harry, “If she stops meeting him, it’ll be much better for everyone. I know this sounds heartless, but if she’s feeling insecure right now, then it’s the best time to convince her to let go.”

“And there are only a couple of days left,” added Ron, “I’m sure it won’t matter if she has male company or not. I certainly would be happier.”

“I don’t know,” said Hermione thoughtfully, “She’s been less aristocratic than she was last week--except for her episodes with Ally-–and I think her Mind Switch might be starting to fade.”

“Well, that’s good, isn’t it?” Ron’s face brightened.

“Not exactly,” replied Hermione, “A partial recovery of memory may not be a good thing. Ginny--the real Ginny, I mean--can be very obstinate at times, and if she believes that ‘Elspeth’ ought to keep seeing ‘Sir James’, we honestly can’t stop her.”

---

“Why should I listen to anything you say?” asked Ginny bitterly, “You lied to me, and deceived me. You both did.”

“Forgive me, Elspeth,” pleaded Hermione. “I only did it for your good. I was afraid that you were interested in someone of a lower status, and all I wanted was for you to be happy. I did not mean for it to go so far.”

“I do not understand,” said Ginny, frowning, “You hired Lord James to be interested me?”

“I will speak to him,” said Harry hurriedly, “And I will explain the situation to him, and tell him that it can no longer be considered proper for the two of you to meet.”

“You will do no such thing,” said Ginny sharply.

“But my child,” protested Hermione, “Certainly it is most improper for you to continue seeing him when you know he does not return your affection.”

“One can try,” retorted Ginny defiantly.

“What do you mean?”

There was a long pause, as Ginny twisted the ends of her scarf.
“I shall ask him if he wishes to see me again,” she said finally.

Harry and Hermione exchanged glances. This was Draco’s chance to leave.

---

Draco paced around his room. So Pansy had been messing around with the Weasley girl’s head. Trust her to stick her nose into something that wasn’t her business.

He furrowed his brow in confusion. Surprisingly, he didn’t feel as happy or relieved as he should normally have been. He was free now. He would have all his evenings to himself, and he could stay firmly in the middle of his circle of Slytherins.

He thought of her again, smiling up at him. He thought of her ridiculous outfits. He thought of how her hair fell across her face. He thought of all those times he had forgotten he was supposed to dislike her.

He stopped pacing and sat down heavily. He realized that she might not want to speak to him again, that this was probably the end.

And he suddenly realized that he would miss her.



--x--x--
Leave a Review