Title: A Matter of Identity
Author: ragdollangel
Categories: Humor, Romance
Disclaimer: They aren't mine (I wish they were). All hail JKR.
Feedback: I love reviews… almost as much as I love Draco ::sighs::
Date Posted: 28th April, 2005

[Author’s Note] Thanks again to everyone who took the time to review (and for all the nice stuff you said *blushes*) A big thank you to Chuya for the beta-ing.
And in honor of my turning nineteen today, I thought I’d post two chapters ^_^ (though they are rather short)




Confessions


Ginny was early this time. And as she stood there, waiting for Draco, she thought about what Pansy had said.

Maybe he really didn’t care, and only did come because he was obliged to.

She bit her lip uncertainly.
Her mother had told her it wasn’t proper to do this, but she had to. She had to ask him. She knew he wouldn’t lie to her.

---

Draco stared moodily out of the window. He hated the fact that he was confused. It should have been the easiest thing in the world.

Just tell her that it’s over, and you’re sorry.
That’s what Hermione had told him.

If only it was that easy.

He didn’t want to tell her.
He didn’t want her to look lost and bewildered. He didn’t want her to stop smiling. For some inexplicable reason, the boy who thought he could never care about anyone else, found himself trying to think of a way to make this easier for her.

What was wrong with him? He banged his fist against the wall in frustration. She was just a girl—and a Weasley girl to boot . Surely that, if nothing else, should have repelled him instantly.
But it didn’t.

He sighed. He didn’t care what they said. It was only a few more days. He could play along until then.

---

They walked in silence for a while. He looked stonily ahead, and she didn’t say a word.

Then she took a deep breath and looked at him.

“Is it true that you meet with me only because my mother persuaded you to?”

Draco was silent for a minute. He took a deep breath.
“That’s how it started out,” he said finally, “and I honestly didn’t expect anything to change.”

He paused and touched her arm.
“But it has changed.”

Ginny sighed.
“I wish I could believe that, but I do not think I can.”

Draco frowned. This was going to be harder than he thought.
Maybe he just ought to forget it. Let her solve her own problems—she wasn’t his concern.

He looked at her, scowling at no one in particular. The sunlight red was on her autumn hair. He half-smiled.
He’d try one last time.

“Lady Elspeth, listen to me. I apologize for not telling you this earlier. But I do mean it when I say that I care for you now. And even though your mother has told me to leave, I cannot stop myself from needing to see you.”

Ginny looked thoughtful.
“Do you really mean that, my Lord?”

“Yes I do, Ginny.”

He caught himself. Ginny??

She looked at him confusedly.

“That is a term of endearment that I picked up during one of my travels,” he explained hurriedly.

She smiled and kept walking.

Damn, thought Draco. Damn, damn, damn.

---

“So where is she?” asked Ron.

“Uh...” started Hermione reluctantly, “I think they patched up their argument.”

“WHAT?”

“Look Ron,” said Hermione patiently, “there’s nothing you can do. It’s just a few days more. I’m sure it’ll work out fine.”

“Are you completely mental?” yelled Ron, “They patched up their argument?? Are you telling me that Malfoy wants to keep going out with my sister??? Who knows what he’s up to??? He could be filling her up with dark magic, he could be doing something evil… And you just sit here and tell me that they patched things up???”

“It’s not like that-”

“What do you mean it’s not like that?? I’ve seen him in the library, sitting in the corner with a book and taking notes. I swear he’s up to no good.”

“I don’t think it’s that bad,” said Harry, trying to calm him down, “because he knows we-”

“Oh, what do you care??” burst Ron. “She’s not your sister.”
He stormed out of the room.

“Ouch,” said Harry.

“If it’s any consolation, I’m sure he didn’t mean that.”

“It’s okay,” said Harry, sighing. “Although I can see where Ginny gets her foul temper from.”

He thought for a minute.
“I have noticed that Malfoy seems to spent an abnormal amount of time in the library. Do you think Ron could be right?”

Hermione looked thoughtful.

---

Ginny was walking back to the dormitory when Ron caught sight of her. Ignoring Harry’s protests, he rushed up to her.

“Ginny, listen to me,” he said breathlessly. “I know you’re in there somewhere. You have to stop this. That bloke is no good. You can’t keep going out with him.”

“Stop it this instant,” cried Ginny. “How dare you call me that? How dare you? I have never heard such impudence before.”

“The boy is a bad egg,” persisted Ron. “I absolutely forbid you to see him again.”

“Get away from me this instant,” said Ginny frigidly. “I have tolerated you for long enough. Your impudence and insubordination is despicable. Referring to Lord James as an egg…”

She glared at him.
“I do not want to see you ever again. Get off this property immediately. I will find a much more suitable replacement.”

She gave him another withering glance, and swept away.

Ron glared after her furiously.
“I’m going to kill him.”


--x—x--
Leave a Review