Angel of Music
By
Sannikex
Chapter One
Phantom of the Opera


The sky that constituted the ceiling of the Great Hall held stormy gray clouds that were hunted rapidly over the firmament by the merciless wind.

Poor firsties, Ginny thought as she eyed the shaking to-be-students hurry through the hall behind Professor McGonagall.

As the sorting began Ginny’s thoughts wandered forward in time, to a room where she would go after dinner. A room she could almost call her own since there was only one person except for herself who knew about it. Not even Fred and George had discovered it. She would finally meet her tutor again after a long summer with no singing at all.

She couldn’t sing at home, her brothers would tease her to no end if they understood how seriously she took her music. Dumbledore, who rose and said what he always said every year, interrupted her thoughts. But this year he didn’t finish at ‘The Forbidden Forest is as the name says forbidden´. He continued with:

“This year will be a little bit different from the last one. In these dark times we need something to enjoy, therefore the Staff and I decided that we will make play. The cast will consist of students and to your help we will have Ms Chanté Laux.”

A surprised buzz started. Chanté Laux was one of the most famous singers in the wizard world. A soprano whose voice Ginny admired greatly. “ The auditions will be held Wednesday and the times will be announced on the message boards in each common room. I think that’s all. Now let the feast begin!” Everyone around Ginny began to stuff themselves with food but she was too excited too eat; this might be her chance to show that she actually was good at something!

She rose and started off towards the music room, there was someone she really wanted to meet there.

Harry Potter was picking at his food, trailing patterns in the sauce barely aware of the exceptionally loud chatter around him. What did he care that some people were going to perform a play? It didn’t matter to him. There were not many things that mattered to him anymore.

Hermione gave Ron a sad look; it was hard to see your best friend pine away. Since last term Harry seemed to have thinned even more, and he had blue bags beneath his eyes. Green eyes filled with enough tiredness for an old man.

“Maybe we should try out for the play?” Hermione said out of nothing.

“What?” Ron looked up from his plate and Hermione begged him with her eyes, maybe Harry would cheer up a little if something out of the usual happened? Ron seemed to get the point and carried on. “Well, it’s not a bad idea, it could be fun.” He said looking at Harry with hopeful eyes.

“Sure” Harry said as he rose.

“Where are you going? Aren’t you going to eat anymore?” Hermione said looking worried.

“I’m not hungry.” With that he left his friends at the Gryffindor table.

A play? Was the old fool of a Headmaster totally out of his mind? thought Draco Malfoy as he entered the Slytherin common room, steering his steps towards the boys' dormitories.

The parchment on the message board almost looked like it shone where it hung totally alone on the black background. He could not prevent himself from stopping to look at it, only to see what the dumb sweets-loving old man had decided that his favorite Hufflepuffs should play.

Instead of the Headmaster's well-known handwriting he found that the text was written in loopy, leaning letters with the heading: “Phantom of the Opera.”

Could they not choose anything easy to begin with? Did they have to pick a play that took professional voices to sing? They’re going to ruin a fine piece of music he thought. Picking up what he had came to his dorm for he went out of the common room again and set off for his meeting.

Ginny entered her music room. It really was nothing more than an empty room with a puffy, worn armchair in the middle. The three huge windows faced the Forbidden Forest and the velvet curtains that once had been dark violet now looked gray with dust and fade. A large mirror with a gilded frame stood in a dark corner, and piles of music papers lay in the windowsills.

“Are you there?” Ginny called. A little tune answered her. She grinned and said, “Did you hear that we’re going to perform a play? I think this could be my chance, Angel. Finally I get the opportunity to act!” A dark voice answered her,

“They’re going to perform Phantom of the Opera. It is a muggle sort of play that’s called a 'musical'. It means that some of the lines in the story are sung.”

“You mean that I get the chance to sing too?” Ginny said excitedly.

“Yes.” The voice she called Angel answered, “But, it is not an easy role, even for you.”

“I trust you’ve taught me well enough, Angel.” Sometimes Ginny felt a bit stupid for taking singing lessons from someone she could not see and upon that, calling him
Angel. But when she heard his voice and his music no other name was possible. He played the piano and sang like an angel, an angel of music. “Can you play something from it for me?” A sad melody began and Ginny closed her eyes and felt the music sweep her away.

Sometimes it scared her, what a power he had over her. His music could make her so helpless, so totally dependent on him. His voice was so filled with promises, so intoxicating. It had always been that way. She had first come to the room in her second year to be alone and to sing, and he had been there. First she just listened, then he began instructing her, so she now was a very good singer. When he felt like singing their duets were breathtaking.

The music died and they started practicing. Much later, when Ginny went back to the Gryffindor Tower, her heart was filled with music. She was sure that she would get a leading part in the musical. She couldn’t wait until Wednesday!
Leave a Review