Angel of Music
By
Sannikex
Chapter Ten
Painting

Time seemed to stand still as the mirror glass creaked a bit and swung open. Ginny’s breath got caught in her throat as she saw Draco in the opening.

It looked like a painting. He was wearing black trousers, a white shirt and a black cloak. His hair was slightly tousled, like he had run his hand through it, his handsome face illegible and grey eyes serious. The gilded frame and dark background made him seem even more like a portrait of a king or prince from a long, ago time.

That was the way she would always picture him, when she looked back on this day.

Her questioning eyes met his and he held out his hand. For a moment the world was forgotten. They were only two friends who met again and not mortal enemies since birth.

Relieved, Ginny put her hand into his without hesitation. Draco saw her through the mirror and for an unguarded moment a thought flew through his head. ‘Beautiful.’

Composing himself he pushed the glass open. He heard her sharp intake of breath and thought that she had changed her mind when she once again faced the person she called her Angel.

But her brown eyes just watched him in silent question and he offered her his hand. And once again her warm little one was placed in his.

Ginny felt a jolt she had never experienced before run through her as their hands connected. She looked down at the hand that could bring magic out of an instrument and with a shiver she realised that he could play on her too. Who had made her voice what it was if not he?

She entwined their fingers so their palms were now pressed together and let her eyes meet his again. She remembered that in the Entrance Hall she had briefly reflected over his nice eyes and now she saw that she had been right. Pools of silver with dark blue spots…

He tugged at her hand and she stepped into the mirror, not aware of that this tiny step would change her destiny. Draco led her to the ballroom and he was the first one to talk.

“You need to practice ‘Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again’.”

“Will you help me, Draco?” she asked with a smile. His answer was to walk over to the piano and sit down. As he began to play Ginny felt the familiar shudder shoot from her neck down her spine. They were made for performing together.

Later, out on the balcony millions of stars twinkled at them illuminating their features dimly. Draco asked her why she had come back.

“I realised that I needed you. I understood that you were more to me than a tutor. I realised that you were my best friend.”

Draco just stared at her, not able to come up with a cutting answer.

“Goodnight…” After a moment's hesitation she added, “my Angel.”

Later, sitting with his back leaning against the stonewall his head buried in his hands, Ginny’s words still ringing in his head “…my best friend.” And damn him if the feeling was not mutual. He groaned. How the bloody hell had he become friends with a Weasley? And what would he do about it?

Lifting his head so fast that it hit the wall with a thud, he looked up at the sky.

Two years ago his father had been put in Azkaban and by that time Draco had been crueller than ever to everyone. Slowly he had understood that there was no one left to impress with his victories over Potter. No one to write about the first years he had tormented. There was no one left to rule his life, criticise how he thought, what he did, how he looked and how he talked. He had over a night become his own master. The day he had this revelation he swore he would never, ever, have someone to call master.

But now he actually missed having someone who could tell him what to do, a person who knew something about friendships who could advise him at this moment.

Ginny sneaked back to the Gryffindor Tower furious at herself. What on earth had possessed her to tell him that? He may be Angel but he was also Draco Malfoy. Tomorrow he would be incredibly smug. But still it had felt good to say it…maybe it was her conscience, which had been aching since that day in Hogsmeade when he had looked so alone…

The next morning on her way to breakfast a voice called after her, “Weasel!” With heavy heart she turned to face him.

“Yes, Malferret?” He motioned for her to follow him and, earning weird glances, she did. He brought her into a deserted classroom.

Five minutes later she emerged smiling widely.
Leave a Review