Angel of Music
By
Sannikex
Chapter 13
Rage

A/N: With so many reviews I decided to put a new chapter up fast so here it is, do enjoy!
Disclaimer: Don't own anything except for Chanté Laux. It all belongs to the potterverse and the Phantom of the Opera.

Harry stared intently at his girlfriend. Something had changed about her. Perhaps not her but there was a shift in the air around her, a new aura gleaming about her. He felt that her thoughts were always directed at someone else. Not that he minded her to think about others than him, it would be selfish to not let her think about anyone she wanted.

It never occurred to Harry that it might be another boy she was thinking of...

They had been talking yesterday and Ginny had been more absent than usual and he had asked her what was wrong. She had turned her attention to him, looking at him so very sadly. He wondered what made her sad, he wanted to help her, tell her that whatever it was she could tell him. In an attempt to tell her he had fastened his green eyes on her and shyly touched her hand.

“Gin...” It had not helped.

“Oh, Harry.” Ginny had breathed before running away up to the girls’ dormitories. He just couldn’t understand.

If Harry had been a bit more experienced he might have known what was coming. Sadly, Harry Potter was not.

Now he was at rehearsal and watched Ginny and Malfoy on stage. He had been proud when he saw his girlfriend act so good towards someone she hated but now something about her had changed and he kept his eyes trained on her. She and the ferret seemed more...comfortable and still more nervous together...

This doesn’t make sense! Harry thought and ran his hand through his hair. What did he expect, they had rehearsed together for weeks now, of course they were not the same way to each other on stage as off now.

Harry was prepared to settle with that but then he happened to look at his girlfriend again. It was the scene when Christine wakes up in the Phantom’s chambers. Malfoy was sitting by a piano (in reality it should be an organ but it hadn’t arrived yet), his back turned to Ginny, playing softly. It was nothing unusual in that, it was the way Ginny looked at the man by the piano. Confused and almost tender?

Harry stiffened in his chair and was now openly staring at the redhead. Could she...Malfoy? Ginny had been gone every night for months...her dreamy look when she had danced with the Slytherin. Things started to fall in place and strange little details began to show a pattern. A burning feeling started in his throat and worked its way through his body. He had trusted her! With his feelings, secrets and thoughts. And all the time she had lied to him. “Oh, I’m just going to the library Harry”, “Harry, I am going to visit Hagrid!”, “No Harry, you don’t have to follow me there.” Not one time had she tried to tell him that she didn’t want him. His body felt numb but inside there was a burning fire raging. He rose and started to walk towards the stage.
Ginny and Draco stopped acting as he climbed up.

“Why, Ginny. Why didn’t you tell me? Did you think it was fun to play with my feelings and then you and Malfoy could laugh together?” Ginny had gone very pale and Draco stood completely still without his usual smirk in place.

“What?” Ginny said softly. Harry kicked the piano and the fine wood cracked. He looked murderous, his green eyes livid. In a dangerously low voice he said, “Did you have to pretend? If you wanted Malfoy then why couldn’t you tell me? You bloody lied to me, dammit!”

Ginny looked around, rather uncomfortable with the situation. She had never seen Harry so angry, not even in his fifth year.

“I tried Harry! But I couldn’t. I just couldn’t do it!”

“You could have done it anytime, you could have used one minute of your valuable time and explained to me that it was over. You just had to do it painful didn’t you. Was it to please your boyfriend maybe?” Harry hissed and sent Draco a look that would have made anyone cower but the Malfoy just raised an eyebrow that clearly said that he wasn’t impressed.

Now Ginny’s own temper started to flare and a flash in her eyes that her brothers had learned to respect appeared.

“I didn’t want to hurt you! I pitied you for it but now I see that I was wasting my time, you pity yourself enough for all of us!”

“I don’t pity myself! And when I look at you now I can’t remember what made me want you in the first place. All I see is a deceiving slut.” He barely had time to finish his sentence before Ginny slapped him with all her might. Then she spun around on her heel and rushed out of the Great Hall. Harry followed the action and stormed out.

Everyone was quiet. Then Ron stuttered “He...He called my sister a...” Hermione looked terrified and Ron looked up to see the sneering Malfoy on stage.

“It’s you! I know in some way you are to blame!” Draco didn’t even glance at him he just started to examine the piano.

*

He hadn’t planned to go to the ballroom. His realization from a week ago had kept him from there, but when he overheard a conversation between the Weasel and Mudblood he decided to go anyway.
“I can’t find Ginny, she’s not in any of the girl’s bathrooms or in her dormitory and she wasn’t at dinner. I can’t find Harry so I can borrow the map...”

Draco turned around and walked down the familiar way to the ballroom. He decided he’d drop by the house elves and order them to get something for Ginny. He didn’t know why he cared but it seemed so natural to just do it. Must have to do with the fact that he was in love with her. He scowled; how the bloody hell had it happened? It was known that Malfoys couldn’t love, they were not able to. He had tried to forget it and ban all thoughts of her but they came back again and again. Her rippling laugh, sweet smile and deep brown eyes were haunting him when he was the most vulnerable, in his dreams.

How could you love someone you hadn’t even kissed? Wait; was he planning to kiss her? Angry with himself for being weak he slammed his fist into the wall, hissing with pain. At least they took the thoughts of her away.

When he entered he saw her immediately, she was sitting in one of the windowsills, her head resting on her knees, the dark red hair flowed in a tangled mess around her.

“I thought you’d never come.” She said, her voice a bit husky from her yelling earlier.

“How did you know I would come?”

“That’s what friends do.” She said simply and for the first time in his life Draco Malfoy actually believed in the emotion his father had claimed was only for weak human beings; love. Awkwardly he said, “I brought some food...you missed dinner.”

Surprised she looked up her heart swelling painfully. He had sweetly brought her food, which made her happy, but the knowledge that they could never be was like a cold hand squeezing her throat.

“Thank you, Draco.” She reached out for him, holding out her hand. Hesitantly he moved closer, he wasn’t sure that he would be able to restrain himself from kissing her if she came close. Merlin knew, he had wanted to slam her up against a wall and snog her senseless all week. But she had run from him. She didn’t want him. He offered her his hand unsure of what she wanted.

“Dance with me.” She said softly and he swallowed but brought her close, inhaling the scent of her. Slowly he danced with her and tried to ignore how it felt to have her hand in his and her head resting on his shoulder.

Ginny sighed contentedly. The candles were sending out soft, golden light and the crystals in the chandelier sparkled. The midnight blue sky outside was almost covered in silver twinkling stars and the smooth wooden dance floor seemed to be made of glass. She felt Draco’s heart beat close to hers and his hand on her waist made her feel safer than she had in her whole life. If I could have this I would never ask for anything more she thought and pressed herself even closer to her Angel. The tender moment that could have become something more was interrupted by Ron’s voice.

“I know she’s somewhere around here Hermione!” Ginny separated from Draco and whispered, “We can’t let them find this room!” Draco nodded and opened the secret passage in the mirror. She hurried past him and turned one last time sending him a look that made all Draco’s doubts die. Their feelings were mutual. Then she spun around and left. A minute later he could hear her walk past the secret entrance to the ballroom, talking with her brother and his girlfriend.

He ran a hand through his hair, what would they do? There was absolutely no possibility for them; they were born to be enemies. He leaned on the wall and swore. He didn’t want to be in love, he didn’t want to be weak and vulnerable. “But you are in love with her”...It was the voice again and for the first time Draco didn’t shut it out.

A/N: *holds hand out for thoughts* So?
Leave a Review