Angel of Music

By

Sannikex

Chapter Twenty

Final Rehearsal

A/N: Hello! Second last chapter, ooohh! Eeeeh, can't believe it myself! I hope that you will enjoy!

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from either Phantom of the Opera nor Harry Potter. Sadly enough.

“Alright! Concentration please! This is the final rehearsal so I want you to get changed and we’ll start from the beginning and only stop when the play ends.”

Even if everyone had known the date of the dress rehearsal, it was scary to hear Chanté actually say it. After tonight there would be no more mistakes allowed. From now on it was real.

Ginny distractedly changed in the girls’ changing rooms into the revealing attire she would wear in her first appearance in the play. It should be red but it had clashed with Ginny’s hair so Chanté had decided that it would be black. It was a top ending above her waistline and trousers that billowed out when you moved. But Ginny wasn’t thinking about her scene clothes but about her boyfriend.

Yesterday had been a very good day. Another one of the numerous snog sessions had taken place in the ballroom. They hadn’t had time for rehearsing, not that they needed it, Ginny thought smirking. Draco had been having fun at all the actors’ expense during the week, teasing them because of their nervousness. But the funniest had been when a Hufflepuff in Ginny’s year had burst out, “I think I’m going to forget my lines!” for the fourth time that day and Draco had answered, “So do I”. The girl had looked gratefully at him, opening her mouth to thank him for his insight in her troubles when she understood what he had said. Huffing, she had stomped away and Ginny bit her lip to not laugh out loud.

The nervousness was really annoying she thought and brushed her hair in front of the mirror. She wasn’t vain but for once she looked closely at her reflection. The red hair was alright she guessed, it was the kind of deep red that didn’t fade with the years but turned into a deep auburn. Her skin was pale and sadly enough sprinkled with freckles over the bridge of her nose and they multiplied during the summer. She didn’t get pimples and she was glad that Draco didn’t either. Our children would have perfect skin, she thought and stopped paralyzed, staring wide-eyed at her reflection’s just as wide brown orbs.

Children! Merlin, they had only been together for three weeks!

“It’s not that bad, you know,” a deep voice said and Draco appeared behind her. “Come on, they’re waiting for you!”

Slowly Ginny put down the brush and turned around, looking just as intently at him as she just had scrutinized herself. He had changed into his phantom clothes and the familiar shudder ran down her spine as she saw him, the white mask covering one half of his face. What made her like this man so much?

At a loss for words, Ginny covered his mouth with hers, desperately seeking the core of him.

They broke apart panting and Draco watched her in awe.

“Not bad, Weasley. Not bad at all,” he said and she blushed.

Had she jumped on him in broad daylight? She shook her head and went out, not much wiser with her feelings.

Draco stayed in the changing room. He needed some time to collect himself. What was it she did to him? She must have put a spell on him. If she hadn’t, why would he feel like it was easier to breathe when he could see her? Why would he feel warmer when she looked at him? Why did she make him want to sing? Why did he want her to feel the same?

He had always needed her, he realized. He had always waited for her to come to their meetings, anticipated them. Wanted to share his talent with her. He wanted her to be the best, not him. He wanted her to be happy.

It was a bitter blow for someone like Draco Malfoy. It was bitter to realize that he had loved Ginny since the first time she stepped into the secret room and he hadn’t done anything about it. In his stubbornness he could have chased her away, and been left in his loneliness for eternity and understood long after that he had loved her.

But he hadn’t, he thought, as he started breathing again. She was his and it had to remain that way. But how could he make her stay with him? He knew that his voice could spellbind her but he wanted her to stay with him because of who he was. Fat chance that’ll happen, he thought in self-irony. He knew fully well that he wasn’t a very pleasant person and had never planned to be one, but he couldn’t keep Ginny to his side with his usual behaviour.

Then what did you do? he wondered, feeling hopeless. What did he know about relationships? Very little. Draco knew how you cast a spell that made your opponent crumble to ashes in mere seconds. He knew some of the most complicated moves in Quidditch and the school rulebook by heart. But he didn’t know how to express love. He knew how to play the piano...Wait, he might not know the right words for love but he could play his feelings!

Relieved, he left the room and entered the stage in the exact moment.

Ginny went into her dorm and noted that it was empty. Good, she thought, she needed to be alone. She needed to figure out her feelings for Draco.

After putting a locking charm on the door, she started collecting things and putting them on her bed. She sat down to look at all that she had collected.

There was a pile of parchment slips all with the same even, elegant handwriting. A recording chest filled with every lesson in the music room she had ever received. A silver box with the inscription, ‘Please promise me, that sometimes, you will think of me’ – DM. A necklace with a dragon shaped pendant. It was the first time she took it off since Christmas. A white rose and a black cloak.

Ginny had dreamingly put a preserving charm on the flower after she had returned to her dorm, her mind still in the ballroom. The souvenir of that special evening would now live forever. She hadn’t returned his cloak yet, it was too warm, too beautiful and it smelled too much like him.

Her fingers traced the embroidered letters inside the cloak. She wondered who had sewed the initials in it. Surely someone who didn’t care if he lost the garment or not.

Ginny picked up the pile of parchment notes and flipped through them, smiling as she recalled the evenings that had followed the invitations.

Absently she put them away and lifted the rose carefully as if it had been made of glass. A rose, the flower of love, the sign she had gotten representing his feelings towards her. He thought he was good at hiding his feelings but Ginny could read his voice after years of practice when she hadn’t been able to see his face. He had feelings towards her she knew it. But how deep were they? Did he feel for her like she did for him? Did he love her like she loved him?

The things she connected with him made her see how much he meant to her. She had treasured them secretly and brought them out every time her dorm mates were out. Just to watch, touch and memorize the objects he had given to her. Pieces of his mind to bring together to solve the mystery of his feelings. Suddenly she realised the time and hurriedly put all the things back where they belonged. She put on the necklace and went to meet her Angel in the ballroom.

She had never heard him play the song he was bringing out of the piano. It was sad and brittle and floating. It was the sound of memories, the happiness of having them and the sadness that the moments were already gone. It was the melody of love; beautiful and longing mixed with the sadness and losses the feeling brought.

“That was beautiful,” she said and he turned.

“Yes,” he answered, looking at her in a way she had never experienced. Like it was the first time he saw her.

She looked back, enjoying seeing his face, tracing the well-known angles with her eyes. In silence they regarded each other. I love you, Draco Malfoy, Ginny thought before saying, “Play it again. Play it for me.”

He turned back to the keys, letting his skilled hands obey her wish.

She sat down beside him, nudging as close as possible, letting the music talk for her.

He had played the piece four times when Ginny’s voice joined the tones of the piano. Her singing was wordless and just following the song. To Draco she had never sung more beautifully.

Neither ever grew tired of the piece and Draco played it over and over before suddenly stopping.

“See you tomorrow,” he said before kissing her goodnight and disappearing through the door. Ginny wondered if she’d done something wrong before leaving too.

He didn’t want to scare her away from him, so he had almost run out when the words he suddenly realized should be used to describe his feelings appeared in his head. They had been a moment away from being voiced.

I love you, Ginevra Weasley was the last thing he thought as he went to sleep.

A/N: So..............? Now tell me your thoughts!
Leave a Review