Angel of Music

By

Sannikex

Chapter Four

First Rehearsal


Disclaimer: I don’t own anything except for Chanté Laux...I do not own anything from the Phantom of the Opera or the Harry Potter universe.


The Great Hall was filling with the students who had got a part in the play.

“That’s every one I think, will someone please close the door?” Chanté Laux said and a second year Hufflepuff hurried to obey her wish. “Thanks, this first rehearsal we’re going to watch the muggle set of this play so you know what to deal with and then we’ll carefully start to study our parts. The next time the real work begins. We will rehearse the three hours after class until dinner five days a week.” The students groaned, five days a week?

“What about our quidditch exercise?” Ron said anxiously.

“I cannot adjust the rehearsals to four teams' quidditch exercises. If you cannot be here it is your problem to learn your part perfectly until the premiere. If you are not able to do that it is your fault that the play becomes a failure. A play is totally depending on teamwork. There shouldn’t be anything called leading parts since every little walker-on needs to be good for the play to reach perfection.” Ron looked a little taken aback after the small woman’s outburst. “I suggest you to be here, Mr. Weasley.” The singer said and drew her wand. “Now let’s watch Phantom of the Opera´” She waved the wand and a picture swirled in the air. Everyone settled more comfortably in their chairs and the musical begun.

Ginny looked around, eager to begin. Angel had been right, it wasn’t an easy part but that only made her more determined to make it. She would make him proud!

Chanté rose and said “Can I please have Ms. Weasley, Mr. Malfoy and Mr. Potter over here?” Ginny walked across the room to the brown-haired witch who said “for those who don't know, Ginny plays Christine, Draco the phantom and Harry Raoul. We are now going to do some singing exercises and I want them closest so I can hear them best. Now...”

The lead trio stood in front of everyone, Draco Malfoy cold and superior as usual, Harry nervous and unsure and Ginny with a blissful light in her eyes. Ginny suddenly looked up, she knew that voice! The deep voice that sent shivers through her and inspired her to do her best. She let her gaze wander and her eyes fell on Malfoy. Merlin’s beard what a voice he had and yet...it reminded her an awful lot of Angel’s vocals. But Malfoy couldn’t be her Angel; he would never help anyone if he didn’t gain anything by it. But still...was it possible to have so similar voices?

Draco had to struggle hard to keep his emotionless mask in place. He was born to do this and the sensations were running around in his body making him feel, god damn him, happy. The voice coming from the little Weasley on the other side of Chanté also helped this sickening warm feeling to spread in his stomach. He smirked as she hit a particularly hard tone. Perfect, he thought even if he would never admit it to anyone else.

“Very good, everyone! Now I want you to take a tone and hold it. Start!”

Everywhere around the room different tones were heard, terribly clashing, but somehow it was still nice to hear. Even if Draco didn’t understand it, it was the happiness the singing brought that you could hear. He and Ginny, whose voices were trained, could hold their tones much longer and soon the two’s voices were the only ones. Ginny shivered with delight over how her voice melted into the other one still echoing in the room. Again her eyes found Malfoy, this time he met her brown gaze with his gray. Suddenly it seemed like they were the only ones in the hall and confidently Ginny started to vary her tones and without thinking of it she sung one of her and Angel’s duets. To her surprise Malfoy followed her easily and with her eyes still locked on the boy they finished with a lingering tone, their voices entwining in the final note.

The applause startled them out of their trance and Ginny looked away, blushing. Had she just felt like flying when she sang with Malfoy? Disoriented she looked up and faced the Great Hall where everyone was standing up clapping their hands enthusiastically. Beside her Malfoy bowed elegantly. He’s born to be on stage she realized, and decided to not be inferior and made a deep courtesy.

“Very good.” Chanté said, smiling. Maybe this favor for Dumbledore wouldn’t be so bad after all...

“That was beautiful!” Hermione said as Ginny and Malfoy thanked for the applauses.

“Humph!” Was all Ron answered. “I don’t like the way Ginny looks at Malfoy...like she couldn’t believe what she sees.” He said with an irritated glare at the blonde boy.

“She probably can’t. I mean who would’ve thought that Malfoy could sing?” Hermione said, still a bit starry-eyed from their encounter at lunch break. Ron had problems understanding that finally this girl was his.

“I still don’t like the look in her eyes...But she was fabulous! I wonder why she hasn’t told anyone at home...”

“She probably wanted to surprise you with something like this.”

“Yeah. Probably.” Ron said and his hand sought hers. She eagerly entwined their fingers and Ron couldn’t believe his luck.

“Well that’s everything for today! See you again tomorrow and don’t forget to get a copy of the script by the door!” Ginny took a script from the pile and went out through the double doors. She noticed that it was only five minutes left until dinner and decided to stay in the Entrance Hall. A lot of people came over, telling her how wonderfully she sang and what a beautiful voice she had. She thanked them but there was only one person in this castle whose approval she needed and that was Angel’s. She wondered what he would say, she had sung one of their duets with Malfoy... Ginny looked around to spot him and saw that no one told him that he had been good. Because he’s a Slytherin, she thought and without thinking more about it she went over to him.

“I think you sang well, Malfoy,” xhe said frankly and he fastened his eyes on her. She noted that he had nice eyes if they just hadn’t been so cold.

Ginny didn’t know what sort of an answer she expected, but she was a bit surprised when he said, “I know.” Then the doors to the Great Hall were opened and he swept past her.

The nerve of that girl! In spite of Potter and Weasley’s anger she had gone over and complimented him for his performance. Sure he’d known that she was brave, but against his will he was impressed that still after she’d told him, nothing had changed in her voice. She had been distant and cold but still she had told him her honest opinion. Maybe she did deserve what he had given her after all...

Harry watched Ginny closely as she sat, chatting happily with her friends. He had never known that she could sing like that. Her singing had touched something deep inside him, something he had thought been dead for years. He wondered if she made everyone so warm inside when they saw her, or was it only him? Had she always been so pretty and so alive? What an utter failure he was. She could have been his and now she was...nobody’s. But maybe he still had a chance...

Ginny went up to her dorm after dinner and found a piece of parchment on her pillow. She knew that handwriting and her heart jumped a beat. He wanted to meet her! Hurriedly she swept out from the room steering towards her music room.

I hope you enjoyed your reading! Please review!
Leave a Review