Angel of Music
By
Sannikex
Chapter Eight
Three Broomsticks

Ginny didn’t know how many outfits she had been through now. The room with the mirrors was starting to get uncomfortably hot and everyone was irritable. Chanté and the tailor were snapping at each other. Ginny was warm, tired and her feet ached after all the standing and walking in different attires.

Harry and Draco had just a few costumes, while she had several more. They were now sitting together, both in black suits too tired to argue but clearly annoyed with the other’s presence.

Unnoticed, she could take a good look at them both, it was fascinating how very different they were. One was fair and with sharp features. One just as dark as the other was light with softer lines. One looked like he wore suits everyday and the other, looked as if the garment would be the death of him. Draco liked to boast about his fortune; Harry wanted to give his away.

The similarities then...their eyes Ginny noticed, their eyes were different in shape and colour but they held the same shielded and braced expression. I wonder what would have happened if Harry had accepted Malfoy’s friendship? That, the world would never see...

Ginny sighed with relief as Chanté exclaimed that they finally were finished. She had went through all the clothes she would wear during the play and then tried them again as the tailor adjusted them before testing again that she could move freely and be able to sing (to her lungs’ relief the beautiful white dress was loosened a bit). At last, now she was free to go!

Almost bouncing, she and Harry made their way out into the autumn sun. The sky was blue and dark red, orange and yellow leaves contrasted beautifully against it. Third years who still hadn’t yet gotten used to the village were excitedly running around, trying to make the time last as long as it took for them to shop in all the stores. Fourth years were smiling knowingly to each other as they saw the third years roaming the streets. They pretended they had not acted so childishly last year. Fifth, sixth and seventh years were mostly people from the play or couples on dates.

Harry and Ginny were lazily making their way down the street, enjoying the chilly wind and each other’s company. They reached the Three Broomsticks and went in. Harry walked over to the counter ordering two butterbeers as Ginny found a table.

She sat down and took off her scarf. She had made it herself in the Gryffindor colours; her mother had been on the verge of tears.

A cold wind swept past her and she looked up to see who entered. The pleasant form of Draco Malfoy walked in, for once his dense cronies were not hovering behind him. He looked alone, not vulnerable but alone. He didn’t have any friends she realized. No one to share secrets with, no one to laugh or cry with, he had only himself. After she had left him...Well, he didn’t do anything to prevent it! The unwelcome voice in her head spoke up: ‘but he taught you to sing’...He stopped when he got to know I was Weasley! ‘No. He taught you, despite the fact that he was a Malfoy and you were a Weasley. When you found out he was a Malfoy you stopped coming’...

Ginny felt like slamming her head on the table from pure humiliation. Draco sodding Malfoy had accepted her as a Weasley and put it behind him and she couldn’t do the same. Numbness spread from her fingertips through her arms. He had known that she was the sister of his archenemy and still helped her, comforted her, and made her laugh. He had been her best friend...

Harry came with the two bottles and said worriedly:

”Are you okay Ginny? You look sick...” She couldn’t tell Harry that she was the most horrible person on earth that she had left someone totally alone for reasons she now couldn’t recall.

“Oh, I’m just tired after all the trying of clothes.” He nodded.

“Yeah, it was rather horrid...” Harry chatted on while Ginny had one thought in her head. What am I going to do?

Draco went in to the pub, fully aware that Gin...Weasley would be there. Together with Potter. They had looked so sickeningly sweet in the shop that he’d had to remark on it. That had not felt as good as it usually did. Probably because they didn’t understood it. Then they could not be angry. Perhaps he should go and tell them what he had said: “Seems like she’s gotten herself a puppy”. It wasn’t extremely cutting but due to the adoring look on Potter’s face he had made the two French women see the resemblance.

Irritated he glanced at the table Ginny was sitting at, her Gryffindor scarf in front of her. How very demonstrative. She was obviously showing where her loyalties lay. They have never lied anywhere else, Malfoy! She came to you to meet Angel not Draco Malfoy. He threw himself down on a chair, annoyed that he actually wanted her to come back. Her training was not finished.

The voices were back in his head and he glared at some Hufflepuff third years to occupy himself. The Hufflepuffs immediately moved further away from him and he turned his attention towards Ginny again.

She looked sick. Potter was holding her hand to lead her out. She followed Potter just as she had followed him in the dark passage inside the mirror. How trustingly she had followed him then. He could still feel her hand safely tucked into his, leaning on him to lead her. That was before she had seen who he was really. Before she had discovered that her Angel was the cruel bully who had tormented she and her friends for years. ‘Close your eyes for your eyes will only tell the truth’. He thought before watching the redhead disappear through the door.
Leave a Review