Angel of Music

By

Sannikex

Chapter Nine

Forgive me

Ginny was breathing hard from the singing she just had done but she didn’t mind. The singing kept her mind off Malfoy, but not Angel. Yesterday she had realized that as Angel, Malfoy had been the best friend she could get.

She had just thought about him only as her teacher for a long time, not understanding how attached she was to him. He was always there to meet her, he comforted her with his deep voice when she needed it and he made her laugh.

There was no one in this castle that knew her as well as Angel. Or, well, Malfoy.

She had spent whole night tossing and turning. Then, close to dawn, she crept up into one of the deep windowsills and watched the stars. Briefly she wondered if someone else was looking up at the sky right now, searching for some sort of answer in the bright constellations. Someone else who had lost their best friend.

There was.

Damn Weasley, he thought. He couldn’t go back to sleep after he had woken an hour ago. Now memories of her through the years were swirling in his head. The first time he had seen her in the music room...He had liked to stand inside the mirror simply because no one knew where he was. He could look how he wanted, think as he pleased and move without anyone watching.

Then one day the littlest Weasley had walked into the room mumbling to herself about the Trio and he had watched as she looked up and realized that she had never been in there earlier. She had gone over to the windows and with sad eyes looked at something on the grounds. Almost not audible at first, she started to sing.

He had been spellbound, she sang so very good and he just couldn’t help shiver when he thought of how good she could be, with some training. But she was a Weasley and Weasleys didn’t have money to afford singing lessons. It was a pity that such a voice would never reach the perfection it could.

He couldn’t resist the urge to sing with her and she stopped when she heard him. But he carried on and soon they were singing their first duet. It was a very famous song by the group “Kicking Kneazels”. It was called “No matter what I do” and was constantly played at WWR.

Draco still remembered the lyrics and sang some lines to himself: ‘No matter what I do, I will always be the same to you. No matter what I do I will always be left behind, in the same place, silent and resigned’.

He remembered when he had first understood that he actually enjoyed a Weasley’s company. He had stayed away from the room to prove that he didn’t need her. It had only resulted in proving that he actually did. He gritted his teeth, it was a bitter blow for someone such as him, a Slytherin and a Malfoy, that he liked the little muggle-lover and it still disturbed him.

He had of course never let her know how much he cared. And now she wouldn’t come anymore. She would never share her thoughts, dreams, fantasies and anecdotes with him. Never ever again tell him how her day had been or what an idiot her brother was. Nevermore to tell him who had been mean to her so he could go and bully the person. Never again she would sing for him...

Ginny collected herself and prepared for the “Mirror Scene”. It was just after when Raoul had left Christine and an angry phantom appeared, ironically enough, inside a mirror. She, Malfoy and Chanté were early to the rehearsal to give this scene even more time. It was Ginny’s favorite piece, even if she wouldn’t admit to anyone why. She couldn’t say that it was because Draco Malfoy’s voice came to justice in this part and it made her shiver with pleasure.

It was during that particular scene when she realized exactly what she was going to do. When the line “Look at your face in the mirror I am there inside.” came, she felt the joy of singing again.

She just had to fix some details first and then she would take her best friend back.

Despite her burning determination earlier, she was scared now. She had sent Draco a note and could only hope he was there now. She took a deep breath and prepared to sing the most important performance ever. She stepped into her well-known music room and let the lyrics be her apology and her voice, beg for forgiveness.

“Recall those days, look back on all those times, think of the things we'll never do. There will never be a day, when I won't think of you. Wishing I could hear your voice again knowing that I never would. Dreaming of you won't help me to do all that you dreamed I could...” Her voice was growing steadier and she was filled with the happiness only singing brought her. “Think of all the things we've said and seen. Think of me, think of me waking, silent and resigned. Imagine me, trying to hard to put you from my mind.” She had borrowed from songs in the play and set them together to explain her feelings. “Sing once again with me, our strange duet. Stay by my side, guide me. Angel my soul was weak, forgive me. Angel of music, hide no longer, come to me strange angel...” She finished, and waited, her eyes fixed on the mirror.

Draco went into the Ballroom and looked around expectantly. He had received a note from Weasley telling him to be here.

She hadn’t signed it but who else knew about these connected secret rooms? He waited for a long time and was just about to leave when he heard her wonderful voice. After four years the powerful beauty of her voice still took him by surprise.

He stood spellbound once again. She was coming back to him. Would he let her in? Of course not! She had insulted him by running away.

The sweet words swept around him and drained whatever objections he had had out of his head. The song stopped and Draco felt cold, he could have stood there listening forever.

Slightly nervous he opened the mirror.
Leave a Review