Chapter 19
Kiss and Miss

Ginny opened her eyes and stretched out languidly on her desk. Ah, History of Magic always let her have a nice, long nap. She sat up and looked out the window. It was a perfect autumn day. The sky was clear, the air was crisp and cool, the ground was littered with multicolored leaves, and the nearly barren trees swayed lightly in the wind.

She smiled. It was a perfect day. And tomorrow would be an even more perfect day. Why? Well, because tomorrow was the first Hogsmeade visit of the year and she would be going with Seamus Finnegan. Ginny grinned. A date, a real date. It was about bloody time! She rested her elbow on the desk and continued to stare out the window. She wondered if Draco would be there.

Ginny blinked. Where on earth had that come from? She didn’t care if Draco was there or not. She’d be on a date, after all. He probably would be, though. With some Slytherin tart hanging off his arm. Not that she cared.

Ginny shook her head. She needed a distraction. She turned around in her seat and grinned. Cassie was lying on the desk, one arm stretched out, the other curled in towards her, head half hanging off the desk, mouth open, and snoring softly. Ginny held back a giggle. Where was Colin’s camera when you needed it?

She reached over and poked Cassie’s side. The American girl groaned.

“Five more minutes, Mom. Just five more…”

Ginny’s grin widened and she poked Cassie again. Cassie lifted her outstretched arm and swatted in Ginny’s direction.

“Just five more minutes.”

“Cassie, I’m not your mum, and you’re in History of Magic.”

The dark haired witch sat up, blinking. Her hair was plastered to one side of her head and she looked distinctly confused. “Huh?”

“Good morning,” Ginny chirped.

Cassie rubbed her head. “Why the crap did you wake me up?”

Ginny shrugged. “I was bored.”

Cassie glared at her rather half-heartedly before sighing.

“How much time do we have left in here?”

Ginny checked her watch. “Not long. A few minutes.”

Cassie nodded and lay her head back down, but peered at Ginny curiously. “You okay?”

Ginny blinked, taken aback. “Yes. Why wouldn’t I be?”

Cassie shrugged. “Dunno. You just look preoccupied.”

Ginny shook her head. “I’m fine.”

“Thank god this is the last day that rat is teaching Potions,” Cassie said, scowling.

“Ferret.”

“Huh?”

“Ferret, not rat.”

“What’s the difference?”

“In my third year, when Dr-Malfoy was even more of an arse-”

“That’s impossible,” Cassie stated.

Ginny grinned and nodded. “Believe me, it is. But let me finish. When Malfoy was even more of an arse, our Defense professor then, Professor Moody- well, he wasn’t really Moody, it was Barty Crouch Jr. under Polyjuice, but that’s beside the point.”

Cassie’s eyebrows were in serious danger of disappearing into her hairline. “This place is insane.”

“Yeah, it is. But, as I was saying- Professor Moody, or Barty Crouch Jr., really did not like Malfoy and really did like Harry. Malfoy was being his usual self-” Cassie snorted then, and Ginny grinned. “I forget what happened, I wasn’t actually there, but I do know that he was saying something really nasty to Harry, and Moody overheard. He really didn’t like it, and so he transfigured Malfoy into a ferret.”

Cassie’s eyes widened and her jaw dropped. “No!”

Ginny nodded, grinning. Right then, the bell rang. The girls packed up their things and headed for the dungeons, Cassie still exclaiming about Draco Malfoy- Ferret. They entered the dungeon, laughing. Usually enough, Draco was actually in the dungeon before the class started.

“Just what is so funny, Weasley?” he sneered from Slughorn’s desk.

Ginny and Cassie exchanged glances and quickly hid their grins.

“Nothing, Malfoy,” Ginny said, flashing him a brilliant smile. “Absolutely nothing.”

She made her way towards her usual table and set up her things. The class soon got under way and potions were soon brewing. Draco mostly sat at the desk, reading, (feet propped up, much to Cassie’s annoyance) and occasionally making some scathing comment that ended up salvaging the victim’s potion. Ginny briefly thought that Draco would make a surprisingly good teacher, before dismissing it as a stupid notion.

As the bell rang and everyone headed for the door, the subject of Ginny’s thoughts spoke up.

“Weasley, come here.”

Ginny and Cassie looked at each other and rolled their eyes. Ginny waved for her to go on.

“What do you want, Malfoy?”

“What do you think I want?” Draco sneered before muttering a spell to close and lock the door.

“How am I supposed to know what you want?” She cast a silencing charm on the door and watched as Draco went around the desk. She dropped her bag on the floor.

“Seriously, Draco. What’s going on?”

“Thank me,” he smirked.

Ginny raised her eyebrows. “What for?”

Draco stepped closer to her and she eyed him nervously. Seamus, think about Seamus. Draco’s smirk never faltered, and his eyes never left her face as his hand sought hers. All thoughts of everything left her as he stepped even closer. She felt breathless. How the hell did he do that? She let him take her hand and draw her to his chest. Seemingly of their own accord, her fingers intertwined with his. What was she doing? This was Draco.

“I happen to know,” Draco began, slowly. He seemed completely unaffected by their proximity. He briefly looked down at their clasped hands, then looked up at her again. “I happen to know, that there is going to be a demonic gathering in Hogsmeade tonight.”

Ginny remembered that they’d be patrolling tonight and tried to regain some semblance of speech. Merlin, she couldn’t even think when he was like that.

“How-how do you know that?” Her throat felt dry.

“I have my sources.”

Ginny looked up at his smirking face and said the first thing that came to mind.

“The amazing, bouncing ferret has sources?”

Draco scowled and she grinned, her head feeling clearer.

“Funny. Very funny, Red.”

Ginny’s grin widened. “I’m sorry, but it was funny.”

Draco leaned down and kissed her softly. “And your singing Valentine wasn’t?”

“I can’t believe you remember that,” she said, shaking her head.

Draco smirked again. “Well I do and I find it just as funny as you find the ferret incident.”

He leaned down and kissed her again. Ginny responded before she could think better of it. Oh hell, she couldn’t have stopped him if she wanted to. Which she didn’t. She cursed herself mentally and pulled back a little.

“We really ought to stop.” She didn’t know if she meant currently or in general.

Draco nodded. “Three, then?”

Ginny nodded and disentangled herself from him rather regretfully. She could have kicked herself. This was ridiculous. She was dating Seamus for Merlin’s sake!

She picked her bag off the floor, and feeling Draco’s eyes on her, looked up.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

“Of course. Why wouldn’t I be?” That was the second time she’d given that answer in less than an hour.

Draco raised an eyebrow. “No you’re not.”

“Well if you know me so well, then why bother asking, O Great One?” she snapped. Not only did he turn her to jelly, but he set her on edge as well.

Her hackles went up, and apparently, so did Draco’s.

“You know, Red, that is exactly why I am never nice. You try to be courteous, and get your head bitten off in the process. If you prefer me to insult you, then bloody fine by me.”

Ginny’s eyes were blazing. “Fine!”

“Fine!”

Letting out a strangled cry, she spun on her heel and stalked out of the dungeon.

Evidently the gods were looking out for others, because Ginny did not meet a single soul on her angry stalk through the castle. Halfway to Gryffindor tower, she realized she didn’t want to speak with anyone. She made a sharp turn at the next corridor she came to and collided with possibly the last person she wanted to see.

Seamus.

“Ginny! Are you alright?” he asked, looking rather surprised.

The red head barely restrained her temper at being asked that same question. Again.

“Yes, I’m fine, Seamus.”

“Sorry, I didn’t see you there,” he said, shrugging apologetically.

Ginny made an effort to smile at him. After all, it wasn’t his fault she was ready to spout fire.

“No, it was my fault. I wasn’t looking where I was going.”

“Where are you going?”

“Oh, um…” In truth she had no idea. “The library.”

Perfect.

Seamus looked surprised. “The library?”

“Yes, you know, the place where the books live,” she said rather irritably. Seamus’ look of surprise changed to one of confusion. It irritated her further. Draco- prat that he was- would have gotten it.

Seamus shook his head, grinning. “You are one of a kind, Ginny Weasley. We’re still on for tomorrow, then?”

It was her turn to look confused. “What? Oh! Oh, tomorrow. Yes, of course.”

Seamus grinned. “Great!”

Ginny nodded, not sure of what to say. Seamus nodded, too, and they stood there, nodding. The silence became awkward and a bit ridiculous before he stepped forward- towards her. Ginny realized with acute horror that he was going to kiss her. No! No this was all wrong! This was supposed to happen tomorrow, in a romantic setting, when she wasn’t fuming about Draco. The kiss was supposed to be mind blowing and give her the courage to stop whatever it was that was going on between her and Draco. No, no, no, no, no!

Sadly though, Seamus was deaf to her internal monologue. He put a hand, rather awkwardly, on her waist and leaned in.

The moment his lips touched hers, Ginny knew that there would never be anything between them.

She’d been expecting fireworks, weak knees, and incoherent thought. But, as she stood in the middle of the hallway, getting snogged by Seamus Finnegan, she saw no fireworks. Her thoughts were still together and her knees felt perfectly fine. No, she thought, rather despairingly. No.

The kiss was supposed to be mind blowing and explosive! In reality, it was awkward and uncomfortable. His lips didn’t seem right with hers and his kiss was sloppy. Seamus’ hands were gripping her waist rather uncomfortably. She tried to move to a more comfortable position, but he didn’t seem to get the hint. Draco would never have been so thick. He would’ve had his arms around her waist and his kiss would’ve been so much…better.

Ginny realized with a start that here she was, getting snogged by one of the most sought after boys in Hogwarts, and all she could think of was Draco Malfoy.

She broke away from Seamus and staggered backwards. He looked at her, bewildered. Ginny was sure she didn’t look much better.

“I’m sorry,” she said.

“About what?” Seamus asked, uncomprehending.

Ginny shook her head, feeling more confused by the second. “I can’t, I’m sorry.”

She turned on her heel and ran. Seamus followed her to the end of the hall.

“Ginny!”

She shook her head and ran on. She ran until her legs felt like they were going to give way. She stopped and slumped against a wall, breathing heavily.

She couldn’t do it.

She couldn’t snog Seamus and she couldn’t get Draco out of her head. She slid down the wall and put her head in her hands. She liked Seamus. He was good looking, funny, and sweet. So different from Draco, and she liked that. But she couldn’t kiss him. She couldn’t kiss him because he wasn’t Draco.

Draco infuriated her and drove her mad on a daily basis, but she couldn’t snog Seamus because he wasn’t infuriating and maddening and constantly smirking that damned smirk. She threw her head back and welcomed the dull pain that accompanied the collision with the wall.

Draco had no interest in her whatsoever, but Seamus did. Seamus had shown an interest in her and she couldn’t bloody kiss him because of some ridiculous prat to whom she meant nothing!

Life had been so simple before Draco.

She took a moment to survey her surroundings. To her horror, she found herself sitting not a meter away form the door that led to the little library. She groaned. Someone up there really did not like her. Right then, she wanted nothing more than to go somewhere where no one would find her or bother her. The library was perfect- if not for the fact that it had strong connections to a certain Slytherin.

Hearing footsteps, she turned her head towards the sound of the noise.

She shot up.

Turning the corner was the Golden Trio. Oh, someone up there really did not like her. She ran to the door of the library and pulled it open. She ran in and shut it as quickly and quietly as she could.

She leaned back against the cool wood and let out a breath. This was ridiculous! She looked around the small room, breathing deeply. There was some dusty late afternoon light filtering in through the escape window, shining on the old covers of the books. Draco had warned her not to touch the books. Something about spells and enchantments. She considered picking one off the shelf just to spite him. After all, she had just ruined the beginning of a perfectly good relationship thanks to him. Her eyes landed on the small eggplant colored sofa under the window. Really, all she wanted to do was lie down. She dropped her bag right by the door and made her way over to the couch.

It was dusty and old, but that really did not matter. She lay down gratefully and draped an arm over her face. Stupid Draco, he always seemed to land her in a mess…

~

Feeling something touch her forehead, Ginny’s eyes fluttered open. To her great surprise, she found herself looking at none other than the devil incarnate himself. Well, according to the majority of Gryffindor, anyway. She sat up and Draco, who had apparently been crouching by the sofa, stood up.

“What was that?” she asked, feeling her forehead. She could have sworn something had just touched her.

Draco raised an eyebrow. “What was what?”

Ginny shook her head. “Never mind. What time is it?”

“Quarter till three.”

Ginny gaped at him. “In the morning?”

“No, in the evening,” Draco drawled.

“I fell asleep! Shit, I can’t believe I fell asleep!”

Draco looked highly amused and Ginny glared at him.

“This is not funny! I’m going to get all sorts of odd questions tomorrow!”

“From who? Jones?”

Ginny’s mouth closed with a snap. He had a point. No one besides Cassie would have noticed that she was missing.

“Oh.”

Draco nodded. “Let’s go then?”

“What? In my school uniform?” she snapped.

Draco was, as always, impassive. “Would you rather go and change?”

Ginny’s glare intensified. He knew she couldn’t possibly go back to her dorm. Letting out a strangled cry, she stalked over to the hidden brooms. Draco followed behind her, wordlessly. Ginny could feel him smirking.

She was still royally pissed off from earlier and now that he was being a complete arse just added fuel to the fire. She retrieved one of the old school brooms that they’d ‘borrowed,’ opened the escape window, and flew out, not caring whether Draco followed her or not.

He did.

She flew hard and fast, trying to get as far away from Draco as possible. It took mere minutes to get to the cemetery, and when Ginny hit the ground, she was already storming away.

“Where, exactly, do you plan on going?” Draco drawled from above.

“Leave! Me! Alone!” Ginny yelled, not bothering to look up.

Draco swooped down in front of her, startling her to a stop. Not for long, however. She glowered at him and turned on her heel. She didn’t care where she went, she just wanted to get away. Draco, evidently, had a different idea.

He reached out and grabbed her by the upper arm and turned her around.

“Let me go,” she growled.

Draco was unfazed. “No. You’ve been short with me since this afternoon and I want to know why.”

“Go to hell!” Ginny yelled, incensed. It was his fault that she’d ruined a perfectly good relationship and now he was demanding something of her? Well, if he thought that was how it was going to be, then the ferret had another thing coming.

“What the fuck is wrong with you?” Draco was starting to sound rather angry.

Ginny threw off his hand and glared at him. “Oh, I’m fine! Just abso-bloody-lutely perfect! Besides the fact that I just ruined the beginnings of possibly my last relationship thanks to you!”

Draco seemed taken aback by her outburst. “What?”

“That’s right!” Ginny was yelling now. “Seamus asked me to Hogsmeade and I agreed! But when he kissed me- I couldn’t kiss him back! All because of you!”

At the mention of Seamus, Draco’s eyes had narrowed dangerously, but Ginny was too angry to notice.

“Seamus was actually interested in me! In me! Can you believe that? Somebody was actually interested in little Ginny Weasley!” Her voice was filled with venom, towards him or herself, she didn’t know. “But I couldn’t even kiss him! He was interested in me and I couldn’t even kiss him!”

“Let me get this straight,” Draco said calmly and slowly, shocking Ginny into silence. “Finnegan asked you to Hogsmeade and you agreed.”

She nodded.

“Then the bloody Irish kissed you?”

Ginny just then registered the fact that Draco was keeping his voice level with a great amount of effort. His eyes were glittering and dark. They made Ginny think of oncoming storm clouds, dark and frightening, but fascinating all the same. She crossed her arms over her chest, defensively. He might be rather frightening when he was angry, but she was determined to stand her own.

“And?” she said.

Draco’s calm broke.

“What the fuck do you mean ‘and?’ That wanker tried to kiss you!”

“Correction- he did kiss me.”

“Well then, even better! Now I have a legitimate reason to kill Finnegan.”

Ginny threw up her hands in exasperation. “What the hell, Draco? Why are you acting like this? What is with the sudden desire to kill Seamus?”

“Because that bloody Irish kissed you!”

Ginny crossed her arms over her chest again, temper rising.

“We never exactly said we were exclusive. Hell! We never said we were anything! Just one day you suddenly decided ‘hey, why not snog Ginny?’ You have no right to be acting like- like you’re my boyfriend or something! I get enough of the overprotective shit from my family- I don’t need it from you, too! Especially when you have no right!”

Draco strode forward and grabbed one of her wrists, seething. Ginny wildly wondered how all their arguments came to nearly the same end.

“I have every right,” he growled. “You are mine, Ginny Weasley, and I don’t want Finnegan laying a single finger on you. I may not be your ‘boyfriend,’ but think about it. Do you really want me to be?”

He paused and Ginny opened her mouth, but nothing came out. His words had stunned her. Paralyzed her completely. He searched her face, then nodded, his eyes hardening.

“I didn’t think so. But as long as this- whatever it is that exists between us- is going on, I will kill any bloke who decides he can lay a finger on you. I will run him through with biggest sword I can find and then dump him in Myrtle’s toilet, so that he’ll be tortured in the afterlife.”

She didn’t know whether she should have been angry at his possessiveness, or to be flattered by it. Either way, Ginny had the sudden urge to kiss him.

She gave in to the impulse, reached up, and brought his lips down to hers. Draco seemed surprised for a moment, but only a moment. His arms wound around her waist and pulled her flush against him. Sweet Circe, this was what a kiss was supposed to be like. She could handle the sneaking around and everything else that came with the Warrior package, if only she could have Draco, too.

Suddenly, Ginny found herself flying backwards and colliding painfully with a twisted, old tree. Staggering up, she saw that Draco, too, had been knocked back and looked around wildly for the source of the interruption.

It didn’t take long for her eyes to land on a rather dazed and angry looking demon. He looked human--old, tattered robes, pale skin, arms, legs, etc. The only things really identifying him as a demon was the glowing tattoo emblazoned on his bald head, and the suspicious looking sword he was carrying.

The demon glared in the direction from which he had flown for a moment, before he was sent flying back again. Ginny’s jaw dropped. It seemed that some unseen force kept pushing him back.

Her eyes then slid over to where Draco was, drawing a knife out of his sleeve. Draco caught her eye and she nodded.

The same moment that the knife embedded itself in the demon’s flesh, a small bottle came sailing though the air and fell at the demon’s feet. In a burst of flame, he was gone.

Ginny ran up to Draco, bewildered.

“What the fuck is going on?” he asked, apparently no more in on the situation than she was.

She shook her head wordlessly. This was insane. Where had that force come from?

Draco stepped up behind her and put a hand on the small of her back, in an almost protective gesture. They stood like that in silence for a few moments, looking around the cemetery.

“Draco, what-”

“Shh…”

He nodded towards a dark figure jogging up the hill towards them.

Ginny’s eyes widened.

It couldn’t be…
~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Dun, dun, dun…

Alright, I know how much everyone hates cliffys, but this one was just begging to be written. I’ll try and get the next chapter up ASAP, so that the suspense does not kill anyone. And so that none of you kill me. Hehe...
Leave a Review