Good news: This story is winding down - like 5 more chapters. I already got the idea for my next story. Can’t wait. But I promise I’ll finish this one first and resist the temptation to start writing a new story. Like anyone cares.


Just in case you care I will not be altering my story to fit with HP6. Well 2 things from HP6 will slip in during later chapters (one in this chapter) –keep your eyes peeled for it. (Not that you actually care.)

Disclaimer: I haven't acquired the Harry Potter characters...they still don't want to do any trades

* * * * * *

Ginny flitted through the school well aware that it was after hours. She slipped through the portrait hole (password now “Ronald Weasley is a hottie”.) and breathed a sigh of relief at the lack of students in the Common Room.

* * * *

The next morning Ginny woke up grinning about the night before. She greeted her roommates happily but received a stony silence.

Perplexed she wandered down to breakfast. The curious actions of her roommates were shunted to the side upon entering the Great Hall. She flashed Draco a smile, he acknowledged her with an almost imperceptible nod of his head.

‘Did this make them friends?’ Ginny wondered. If so it was quite possibly the weirdest friendship ever.

She hesitated at the table – sitting beside Colin’d be too awkward - Ron and Hermione were having a serious talk and she knew better than to interrupt them. Harry was out of the question, and why was Penny throwing her that dirty glance? And for that matter when did she start sitting next to Colin?

Ginny bit her lip and decided to find Luna. On her way to the Ravenclaw table to find her friend she walked past the bulletin board. A large yellow bulletin proclaimed the date of the first Hogsmeade visit - Ginny worked it out in her head and realized that it was this Saturday- at the rate things seemed to be going she’d end up friendless by Friday. Ginny scanned the Ravenclaw table and realized that Luna was not there. She decided that staying there would be foolhardy, so she left the Great Hall - unaware that someone had been tracking her movements intently.

* * * *

Draco watched as Ginny entered the Great Hall. He was shocked, to say the least, when she sought him out then grinned at him. He nodded back, and saw her grin widen. It made him feel funny, that smile she gave him. He followed her with his eyes, watching as she stopped, her expression perturbed.

‘Why doesn’t she sit down with her dumb friends?’ He wondered. She looked a little lost standing there all alone, vacated by her normally vast group of friends.

He dimly became aware of Pansy’s hand on his forearm. He wrenched it away, allowing his attention to wander to her words.

“So guess what? Supposedly, Ginny broke up with Colin last night. He went to kiss her and she flipped! Then she ran off. All the Gryffindor girls are pissed at her. Weasley practically beat Colin up for trying to put the moves on his little sister. For a boy of such unfortunate lineage he’s turning out quite nicely.” Pansy added, appraising Ron with an expert eye.

“Forget it Pansy,” Draco snapped, “he’s all wrapped up in Granger.”

“That Mudblood?” Pansy said, scandalized.

Draco tuned Pansy out - refocusing his attention on Ginny. She hadn’t told him that Colin had tried to kiss her and she’d flipped out. He allowed himself to think for a second that maybe he was the reason for Ginny’s reaction. With a frown he shook himself back to reality. Ever since he’d met Ginny and started feeling - what? What was this he was feeling? Whatever it was, he was unable to read the girl. He could read almost every other girl but Ginny was now an enigma. It bothered him that this should be so. Why should such an ordinary un-extraordinary girl fascinate him so – for she did.

He thought back to last night, he’d been shocked when she’d suggested living with her, he’d uttered some banal remark about how Ron would be out for blood and once again she’d managed to surprise him.

“He wouldn’t touch you if you were under my protection,” those had been her exact words - she’d uttered them with such passion that he’d longed, for one wild moment, for it to be true. Then she’d tried to leave and he’d caught her by the arm. He’d asked her why she cared about him - she was Potter’s girl why the hell would she bother to concern herself with him. She’d replied with the same fierce passion that she was not Harry’s girl and she could care for whoever she chose. He’d caught his breath - she did care for him. He wanted to kiss her – he wanted her to stay there with him - block out the world-block out Voldemort, block out Dumbledore, Ron Harry and lie there in his arms - forgetting that they were like oil and water - forgetting their parents’ objections - forgetting that the world beyond them did indeed exist. Instead he’d said something stupid and woefully short of his feelings. She’d fled then - leaving him there alone to wrest with his problems which had somehow magnified after talking to Ginny.

He shook himself from his musings. Ginny stood before a yellow bulletin, Draco wondered idly what it said. She scanned the Ravenclaw table then left the Great Hall. Confused, Draco grabbed up a piece of toast and hurried out of the hall, muttering to Pansy something about a forgotten transfiguration assignment. He glanced at the bulletin and saw it was an announcement for the forthcoming Hogsmeade visit.

Once he was out of the Great Hall he called Ginny’s name. She was halfway up the main staircase and she turned at the sound of her name.

“What is it Draco?” she said puzzled.

“I…err…” Damn why the hell had he followed her out here? “I noticed you didn’t grab any breakfast and I figured you’d be hungry.” He offered her the piece of toast he was clutching. She looked genuinely…touched? But still a little confused.

Ah what the hell, “There’s a Hogsmeade trip this Saturday - you’re probably already going with someone…” he trailed off.

“Of course I’ll go with you,” Ginny said quickly, blushing.

“Great,” he said, suddenly feeling awkward.

“I’ll see you,” she said.

“Yeah,” he responded, aware she was out of hearing range.

* * * * * *
Leave a Review