Author’s Notes: OK this chapter is one of my favorites…Mostly because of Draco’s reaction to someone else liking our favorite red-haired heroine. But I’ve said too much…

Disclaimer: Seriously, still applies.

* * * * * *
“Ginny, wait a second,” It was Harry, Ginny paused on her way out of the Great Hall.

“Yes Harry?” She said, concealing the flutter of joy she had felt in her chest.

* * * * * *

Malfoy’s eyes narrowed as he watched Harry apprehend Ginny. He observed the ill-disguised look of happiness on her face. Draco felt disgusted, if the little bitch wanted to associate with the likes of Potter, then by all means, go ahead, Malfoy would not interfere. However, there was little doubt in his mind that she was setting herself up for disappointment. Harry was not boyfriend material, of course, Draco thought smirking, neither was he. He had seen the way Harry sometimes looked at that Ravenclaw girl, Cho. Draco had seen the mixture of longing and regret that his face expressed upon seeing her. Harry knew he’d had his chance with Cho and now, in an attempt, no doubt to regain his masculinity, (a lost cause Draco thought) he had found Ginny where she’d always been, by his side, waiting. It truly was pathetic the way she had bided her time waiting for him to come to his senses. He knew Ginny would most likely realize Harry wasn’t in love with her, and was most likely using her to get back at Cho, but she’d been in love with him for years, Draco doubted she would care why Harry was dating her.

Still, the thought of Harry using her, or any girl for that matter, to get back at Cho, enraged Malfoy. Draco had been taught that girls were to be treated with respect and never to be used as tools in personal vendettas. That caused him to think back to the fiasco with Pansy that morning. He had regretted it immediately, when he saw that hurt look on Ginny’s face. God, how was he to know she’d take it so personally. He knew she had, Draco was good at reading girls, and he knew it’d hurt Ginny. He had actually been going over there to possibly apologize, but of course, Potter had to interfere. Draco ground his teeth in irritation.

* * * * * *

“Ginny,” Harry said earnestly. “I’d like to talk to you. When can we meet?”

“What about now?”

“There’s not enough time,” Harry responded.

“OK, how about we meet in the Common Room?”

“But I want to talk to you in private.”

“Well then, what do you suggest?” she said almost irritated.

Harry was about to reply when someone pushed rudely past, the unmistakable blond hair could only belong to one person, Malfoy.

“How about the astronomy tower at 10?”

“Tonight? But that’s after hours. If we get caught we’ll both get detentions.”

Harry said mysteriously. “Don’t worry, we won’t get caught.”

* * * * * *

It was 9:30; Ginny looked in the mirror once more. She had ditched her school robes, and had selected a warm black cloak that ended at the knee. She wore a pleated skirt, and a dark green shirt that Hermione assured her looked “just striking” against her red hair. Her hair had been done by Penny, in a complicated style that Violet had assured her was the latest fashion. She wore a trace of lipstick and a little mascara. She was ready. She took a deep breath, and threw one last glance in the mirror, then she was on her way down to the Common Room.

Hermione, who was “taking a quick break” was distracting Ron with a game of Wizard Chess. As Ginny passed them, Hermione turned her head and mouthed, “Good Luck.” Ginny grinned and mouthed, “Thanks.”

“Ginny you look great,” Penny said in an undertone.

“Yeah,” Colin agreed.

Violet, who was sitting a little way away, next to Seamus, looked up and gave her a thumbs up.

They had been the only 4 people she had told. Of course the other 5th year girls knew, but they had sworn to secrecy, everyone knew of Ron’s infamous temper.

Harry rose from his seat, and said in a hushed voice, “Are you ready?”

Ginny nodded, and he swung the portrait open, and climbed out, assisting Ginny.

“Here put this over you,” Harry said, handing her an edge of a shimmering cloak.

“This is an invisibility cloak isn’t it?” Ginny asked, awed.

“Er…yeah.”

“Cool,” she said, slipping it over her head. Under the cloak, Ginny saw Harry tap his wand on a piece of parchment and mutter, “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

“What’s that?” Ginny said, craning her neck to get a look.

“Marauder’s Map,” he said, sounding slightly impatient.

“Oh, wow! Does it show the whole school?”

“Yeah.”

“Can I see it for a second?”

Ginny scanned the minute names on the map, not conscious she was searching for someone in particular until she came upon his name. Draco Malfoy. According to the map, he was pacing in his dorm. She passed the map back to Harry. He led the way; she followed him, anticipation bubbling in her chest.

Once they got to the astronomy tower, Harry threw off the cloak, Ginny breathed in the fresh air with relief. Under the cloak, it had been stifling.

Harry turned to face her, his green eyes, behind his glasses, were serious. He reached out a tremulous hand to touch her cheek. This innocent, sweet gesture nonetheless set Ginny atremble. ‘What were they doing?’ She was wondering. Harry let his hand roam to her hair, with a frown, he loosed it, letting it flow out behind Ginny.

“Ginny,” Harry said.

Then without warning, he claimed her lips. Caught by surprise Ginny gasped against his mouth. She suddenly pulled away.

“Harry?” she said confused.

What was she doing she wondered. Wasn’t this what she’d been dreaming of all these years? Don’t screw this up for yourself girl, she told herself sternly.

Harry looked slightly embarrassed and a little impatient. “Sorry, I guess we’re supposed to go slower. It was different with Cho.”

‘Cho?’ Ginny thought perplexed, ‘Why was he bringing her up?’

“Ginny, when you were in the hospital I realized how much you mean to me. I always thought of you like a little sister, but somehow I think the feelings deepened.”

Ginny’s breath hitched. It was finally coming true. She felt a little dazed.

“Are you ready to try again?” Harry asked gently.

Ginny nodded, this time it’d be different.

Harry’s lips met hers. She felt his hands tangle in her hair, as he drew her toward him awkwardly. Harry’s tongue met her lips and she parted them in response. He slid it into her mouth, probing gently. Suddenly the trap door leading to them creaked. Harry let go in surprise.

Ginny’s eyes flew to the trapdoor and widened as she recognized the person.

“Malfoy?” she said, bewildered.

He didn’t look at all surprised to see her, and his gaze darted around the turret.

“What are you doing here?” Ginny finally managed.

He ignored the question as he walked toward her.

“Where’s Harry?” He demanded harshly.

Ginny’s brow furrowed in confusion, she hitched a thumb behind her to where Harry was standing. She turned around as well and gasped.

Harry was gone.

* * * * * *
AN: Well I think that could be considered a cliffhanger?
Next 2 chapters = my favorites thus far.
Leave a Review