Just a quick little update before school gets crazy and I have to give up sleeping altogether… More to come in a few days’ time, with more plot info.
******************************************************************************************

Chapter 4: Diplomatic relations

She crept into the room, determined to edge in and escape notice. The room was buzzing with people; nervous staff flitting by in a panicked daze, impatient reporters anxious to get the story, a quote and a picture in order to make their print deadlines, and the general public, who in the midst of all the chaos, were sitting patiently while looking around with curiosity at all the excitement. Ginny hovered at the back, away from the centre of activity, to watch the official proceedings.

As the Minister for Magic greeted those in attendance, Ginny felt an undeniable surge of anger towards him. Too many times over the course of her career, she'd rescued him from definite career suicide, and here he was, praising an initiative that was entirely her doing, and giving full credit to her replacement. Her jaw set and her teeth gritted, Ginny watched grimly as Cormac McLaggen, absolutely preening with pride, stepped forward to make a long-winded speech about the great things that he'd done as the temporary Minister of International Magical Cooperation. She remembered, grimly, a few instances of his conduct during a certain Quidditch match and sighed heavily, imagining the untold disasters that were just waiting to happen due to his appointment.

"Look! It's Ginny Weasley!" a voice in the crowd called out, as a writer for the Quibbler that she vaguely recognized stood and pointed in her direction. Suddenly, all eyes were on her, and she felt strange - exposed, almost - in front of them. When her job had called for it, she'd always met the press with the same professionalism she'd meet diplomats; dressed immaculately, fully briefed and prepared for any questions they might throw at her, calm and cool. Now, today of all days, she was dressed in a pair of Muggle jeans and a casual hooded sweater, and the entire press corps of the British wizarding world were staring at her like she'd lost her mind.

McLaggen continued his speech, oblivious that he'd lost the spotlight. Whispers and murmurs filled the room, as more people turned to look at her, craning their necks to catch a glimpse of the popular Ministry official who'd been mysteriously sacked - or "temporarily dismissed" as Fudge had claimed. It was the first time she'd been seen in public since she'd left her position, months ago.

Ginny ducked out of the room, after catching Fudge's eye and seeing the way that he glared at her. She was stealing the attention away from his newest protégé, while he was in the middle of attempting to garner some positive publicity for the unpopular Minister.

She waited in the hall, knowing that the one person she wanted to see would drift out to see her, as soon as he was able to get away. She didn't have to wait long.

"It's nice to see you well again, Miss Weasley," he said, after carefully closing the door behind him. His soft voice, while heavily accented, was a comforting sound and she smiled as she greeted him.

"Mr. Ruggiero Ballan, it has been quite awhile since we spoke last," Ginny said, easing naturally into the tone of voice she had perfected a long time ago, melding confidence and charm, meant to please elderly gentlemen who were very important in their country, and who were fully aware of their importance.

"I'm greatly saddened that we are no longer working together. Between you and me, there are quite a few people upset about your replacement and who are prepared to refuse to work with McLaggen," he said, with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes that reminded her greatly of a certain Headmaster.

"Well, Mr. Ballan, I'm sure you will enjoy negotiating with my replacement much more than you did with me," Ginny answered, with a laugh. Ballan had often made comments about her style of negotiating - the fact that she rarely conceded any of her demands, and would continue for as long as she needed, often ignoring his desire to put an end to it, so that they could socialize properly.

"I'm very glad that I did spot you today, Miss Weasley. I have uncovered some very important information, regarding that favour I asked of you back then, and it's imperative that I pass that on to you," he said, his voice and conspiratorial. Ginny's interest was definitely piqued.

"When can we talk?" she asked, nonchalantly checking over her shoulder to see if there were any loiterers in the corridor.

"I'm afraid I have a few more things to verify, but my staff are working diligently on the matter. I figure I should have some concrete information to pass on to you within a week, my dear,” he said, with a grave look.

“Is it about the sword?” she breathed, her eyes darting furtively down the hall, where a stream of people were exiting the conference room.

“I shall be in contact with you soon, Miss Weasley. Until then, I trust your discretion in this matter,” he said with a smile. He leant forward and whispered to her. “Please be careful, my dear, for you are not safe.”

Before she could question this startling statement, he had already started to make his way down the hall, waving to the press corps while diligently positioning himself between them and a crowd of people, as he made for the exit. Ginny felt a shiver of excitement run down her spine; everyone she knew had written her off as a victim of paranoia, but with Ruggiero Ballan’s warning confirming her suspicions, she felt reassured.

“Ginny Weasley! There she is!” a voice called out. She grimaced, as she realized that the press hadn’t forgotten about her, after her quick exit from the press conference. Five or six journalists that she recognized from the Daily Prophet and one from the Quibbler started to dash towards her.

“Miss Weasley! Can you comment on your recent dismissal from the Ministry of Magic?”

“Care to share any thoughts on your replacement?”

”Is it true that Cornelius Fudge had you sacked after that mysterious incident in Italy?”

“Have there been any leads in the investigation into your attack a few months ago?”

“Now that you’ve recovered, will you be heading back to work?”

The reporters were hurling questions at her at a lightning pace, and Ginny felt suddenly overwhelmed by it all. She wasn’t prepared, hadn’t thought that anyone would even notice her. Taking a quick glance down at her attire, knowing full well how pathetic she looked, with her limp hair and dowdy clothing, and she started to walk away, unwilling to answer any of their questions while ill-prepared to face it, both physically and mentally.

Their shouting had attracted some attention, and the remaining reporters had followed the pack, eager for the story. The flash of a camera filled the air, as more questions were hurled their way. She began to feel a little desperate, as if the walls of the corridor were closing in on her, and the oxygen in the room was being sucked away.

“The people have a right to know, Miss Weasley! Please, tell us what you think about McClaggen!”

“Would you care to comment on the allegations that Draco Malfoy, your fiancé, almost killed you and is reportedly still at large?” one voice called out. A terrible silence fell over the room, as the journalists waited with bated breath for her to answer. She turned to face them, a pained look of surprise and anger on her face. A camera flash blinded her for a second, and the palpable silence grew more intense. Without answering, she turned and walked away.

It took a minute after she had exited the hallway before the silence in that corridor was broken.

*******************************************************************************************

See, super quick update. A 'real' update will follow soon.
Leave a Review