Sorry it has taken so long. Short author's note at the end. :)

****


That night, Ginny made sure she was home well before Draco was. When he walked out of the fireplace and into the library, he wasn't just surprised to see her there; he was surprised to see what she was wearing. All the times he had seen Ginny Weasley, she was in her robes for work, or Muggle jeans and a t-shirt. The Ginny standing before him now was dressed in a turquoise silk top and a white skirt, both accentuating the small bump on her stomach. Draco never thought pregnant women looked desirable, but on Ginny, pregnancy made her sexy.

“Going somewhere?” he asked, making it a task to take off his robe so he didn't have to stare at her.

“Don't think that just because you worked, I wouldn't find out that it was your birthday,” Ginny smiled.

“How'd you find out?” Draco dropped the robe that he had finally gotten off. He didn't tell anyone that it was his birthday.

“You forgot that as secretary for the Head Auror, I happen to get all the memos that enter the office. Did you forget in your whole ‘I'm-not-telling-anyone-it's-my-birthday’ plan that it's on the daily memos when the Ministry employees birthdays are?” Ginny felt she had to smirk at the stunned look on his face. He obviously had forgotten.

“Damn,” Draco swore under his breath. He had forgotten about that blasted memo.

“Why didn't you tell me it was your birthday?” Ginny couldn't disguise the hurt in her voice. After he had taken care of her, she thought they were getting closer. She had spent the whole week in his bed because he wanted her near if she needed anything. The truth was she didn't mind at all. Ginny felt safe there. When she slept in his bed, she had no nightmares. Her sleep was actually peaceful. She knew that, tonight, she would be back in her own bed, and she was a little frightened and sad.

Thankfully, Draco had sensed the hurtful tone. “It's nothing personal, I just would rather sever any ties to the family that were shit to me,” he said as he casually retrieved his robe from the floor and slung it over one of the leather couches. “And if that means not celebrating the day that I was brought into the hell they created for me, then I will gladly attempt to forget it.”

“Then the dinner reservations I made will have to be cancelled.”


Draco smirked. Damn... she was good. Draco wasn't normally a person to give in to anyone, but just looking at that perfectly crafted pout on those cherry red lips made him think with another head. Another head that was almost standing at attention. Why did he have to take off his robes? With a heavy sigh, and a grab for his robe (again) he headed towards the library door.

“Give me a minute to shower quickly, and change and I'll be back down,” he called over his shoulder. There was no way he was turning around.

“Oh, I don't want you to do something you don't want to,” she called, not meaning to make it sound as seductive as she imagined it did.

Draco did all he could to not groan out loud as he closed the door. No, Gin, your making me want to do something my head on my shoulders says not to, Draco thought as he climbed the stairs to his room, and shower.

***

Draco entered the library about a half an hour later. “I had no idea where you planned on going, so I just threw something on,” he said, motioning to his black pants and button-up shirt, garnished with a dark red tie.

“Very handsome,” Ginny commented with a nod of her head. “Shall we go?”

“Of course,” Draco started towards the fireplace.

“No,” Ginny grabbed his arm and Draco allowed himself to be led out of the library and to the front door. “No Floo. It's not that far, we can walk.”

“You can walk in those?” Draco raised his eyebrows at her shoes.

“They are actually quite comfortable after you use a custom-fit charm on them.”

“So, where are we going?” Draco asked as, to Ginny's surprise, he held the door open for her. If his father was such a terrible man, Ginny wondered where he got his... slightly good manners from.

“That little Muggle place up the street,” Ginny answered.

“Ginny, that place is expensive. It's only a birthday,” Draco mumbled as they began walking up the dimly lit street.

“In my family, birthdays are a big deal. No expense is too much. And before I decided to take a small part in continuing the Malfoy name, I had a very well paying job of taking care of nutters. I assure you that I can afford to pay for a good meal.”

Draco sighed. “You really don't need to make a big deal out of my birthday.”

Ginny stopped and turned towards him, the Weasley fire in her eyes. “Fine, I'm not taking you out for your birthday. How dare you suggest something as ridiculous as that?” Ginny rolled her eyes, clearly playing with him. “I was sick, you took such excellent care of me, and now I have decided to take you out to thank you.”

Draco knew he would be pushing it, but he couldn't help saying it. “You don't have to thank me either.”

Ginny threw her hands up. “Fine! Think of is as a bloody date then, okay? We are going on a date, for Merlin's sake.” Ginny stalked off ahead and missed the smile on Draco's face. That was the most fun he had had in a while. It was almost like he was in Hogwarts again, only he didn't hate her or the Weasley clan anymore. Only Potter…and only a little.

He caught up with her when she got to the entrance and hurried in front of her to open the door. He was thankful that Jessica had told him all about how to treat a lady, even if one was a little pissed at you at the moment.

“Ah, Miss Weasley.” The waiter said after Ginny gave them her name. Draco had to give her credit, this place was nice. It was small and lit with very dim chandeliers. The tables were small and not meant for large parties of people. He even approved of the small candle centerpiece for the tables. Most Muggle restaurants insisted on putting insanely large flowers in the middle and you couldn't even see your date.

The two were ushered to a corner table and the waiter quickly supplied them with menus.

“Excuse me,” Draco said when the waiter returned and started to pour them the complimentary house wine. The waiter promptly stopped and turned to look at Draco. “Miss Weasley is pregnant,” Draco explained. At the confused look he received from the waiter Draco rolled his eyes. “She can't have wine,” he said through clenched teeth.

“Sorry, ma'am,” The waiter said finally getting it, and looking as if he wanted to be as far away from Draco as possible.

“Can't have my child growing an arm off of its forehead,” Draco commented as the waiter scurried away.

Ginny smiled. “Thank you. I was looking over the menu and didn't even notice what he was pouring.”

“It must be strange,” Draco said thoughtfully.

“What? Being pregnant?” Draco nodded. “You have no idea. It feels like just yesterday I was in your library reading Jessica's note. And now, here I am on a ‘date’ with you, being your surrogate mother. And actually enjoying your company.” Ginny looked shyly down at her menu. This was new territory for her. She hadn't felt like this in a long time, the last time being when she first realized that she and Harry might have a chance to be together. But since she had been back, she hadn't felt this way about anyone... not even Harry.

“Do you regret it?” Draco voiced the question he had wanted to ask her for a while now.

“Regret what? Being a surrogate witch?” Ginny looked up.

“Being my surrogate witch?”

Ginny smiled before answering. “I initially thought I would regret it, but it isn't too bad. It's hard to believe you are the same person who was terrible to my family and friends when we were in Hogwarts.”

I'm not the same person I was back then, he thought as he stared thoughtfully into the flame of the candle on their table. At that moment, he felt that Ginny deserved to know that he was her rescuer, and that it didn't matter if he was afraid of what her reaction would be. He had better say it now before he lost his nerve.

As he opened his mouth to speak, the waiter arrived to take their orders. This man was really starting to annoy Draco. The stupid prat.
“So,” Ginny said after the waiter left. “Why do you keep your job if they are so cruel to you?”

Knowing that his chance to say something had passed, he went with the conversation. “Cruel?”

“They have you in the lowest position possible. And don't think I haven't noticed that you leave your wand home when you go to work.”
Home. That was the first time that Ginny referred to the Mansion as home. Draco had to remind himself that when the baby was born, she planned on moving out. Lately, since she had been staying in his bed, it had been so easy to forget.

“They aren't cruel,” he said quietly. “They just keep an eye out.”

“An eye out? For what? You aren't someone who would let them treat you like that. Why not look for another job?”

“I deserve it.”

Ginny raised her eyebrows. “Oh, save the ‘poor me’ bit for someone who'll believe it.”

“Look how I was in school. Do you think I've changed?” Draco asked angrily. Couldn't she see that he couldn't be trusted? He was a Death Eater for God's sake. If you were a Death Eater, even a pardoned Death Eater, you were never to be trusted again. Severus was allowed back to Hogwarts, but you could bet that he wasn't allowed the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher again. Draco was surprised he was allowed back to Potions and not the Grounds Keeper. Draco knew that he saves countless lives during his days as a Death Eater, but he still felt ashamed for what he was before. He was also aware that being ashamed of what he did wasn't what a 'Malfoy' was supposed to feel, but he stopped using that word as a discription of himself when his father landed himself in prison. It was no longer a name of honor and pride, that he had to prove himself.

“Of course you have!” Didn't she just tell him that she was having a hard time believing that he was the same person who went to Hogwarts with her? Men were so thick sometimes.

“No,” Draco shook his head. “I haven't changed at all.” The way he said it led Ginny to believe that he was closing the discussion about his position at the Ministry.

For the rest of their “date”, Ginny shared some exciting tales of growing up in the Burrow. Draco silently decided that being poor didn't mean you would be unhappy. He shocked Ginny by telling her that even with his toy brooms, expensive chess sets and the best potion kits that Galleons could buy, he had been rather unhappy.

As they arrived back at the Mansion, Ginny announced that she was going to bed. As he watched her walk slowly up the stairs, he kicked himself for not saying anything to her about the mysterious Death Eater.

“Ginny,” he called and she turned to look at him expectantly.
“I - uh... had a - Jesus,” he swore.

“I'm sorry?” Ginny asked not really catching anything but “Jesus” out of his ramblings.

“I had a nice time, okay?” he said angrily.

Even though Ginny knew as soon as she got in her room she wouldn't be able to hold back the laughter, she held it in for his sake. Instead, she walked back downstairs and kissed his cheek. She did allow a few giggles to escape when his eyes snapped to her face in shock.

“I had a nice time too,” she said softly before making her way back upstairs again.

****
Ah, I hope you enjoyed :) I have set up a yahoo group if anyone wants to join it and ask questions freely, or anything. You can join by going here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/onelastwish/join . It should be fun :)
Leave a Review