Disclaimer: What, you think I've got rights now? No! go 'way and leave me alone.

Summary: Ginny's a sixth year prefect, Draco's Head Boy and head over heels in love with her, Snape's lost a leg. It's also been revealed that Draco and Ginny had a secret friendship before revealing it at the Yule Ball two years ago, and Arthur Weasley has been murdered.
Just a quick note, this entire chapter is a flashback, so it won't be in italics like previous flashbacks have been.


~~~^~~~


"I’m terribly sorry children. Nobody thought it would turn out the way it did. But know that he died very bravely." Professor Dumbledore attempted to console the four Weasley students. Fred and George looked like they’d gone catatonic, while Ron’s fists were clutched so tightly that his knuckles had turned white. Ginny’s eyes were filling with tears, and her lip trembled.


"If there is anything at all that we can do, please don’t be afraid to come and speak with me. I am available for you at any time. But for now, I realize that whatever I say is unlikely to help you. I will leave you in Professor McGonagall’s care. …Minerva?" He called out to the tight-lipped teacher standing by the window, her handkerchief held to her face.


Ginny stormed down the corridors towards the Slytherin Tower, murder in her eyes. She knew what she had to do. She would revenge her father’s death on the son of his killer.


Draco stepped out of the tower, Crabbe and Goyle following as usual. As he turned to walk towards the Great Hall, he crashed straight into the furious girl.


"Watch where you’re – hey!" His usual response was blasted away from him, along with his wand. Crabbe and Goyle took one terrified look at Ginny before fleeing.


"What’s your problem, Weasley? What’ve I done to you recently?" Draco, now sprawled on the floor, his robes askew, tried to crawl backwards to his wand without Ginny noticing.

"What’s my problem? My problem? You… You… You DARE ask what you’ve done? Your father! Your bloody father! He… he… Wingardium Leviosa!"


And with that, Draco’s wand floated in the air and made its new home on the ceiling high above their heads. Draco’s eyes were now filled with apprehension. He knew of course what happened. Everybody knew. Mr Weasley had made front cover news. He, along with several other witches and wizards as well as several Hogwarts teachers, had been caught in a desperate battle to rescue a group of muggle-born wizards two days ago with a very large group of Death Eaters, the largest number seen, even in Voldemort’s time. Mr Weasley had been the only casualty on his side. Over thirty Death Eaters had been killed. Unfortunately, none had been captured, and the rest had escaped. Professor Snape, to Draco’s great surprise, had been fighting alongside Mr Weasley when he was killed. The Professor himself had lost a leg to the same Death Eater who killed Ginny’s father. Ever since he had read the article in the Daily Prophet, Draco had been thinking about a very decision he was going to have to make eventually, as he knew the identity of that Death Eater. And apparently, so did Ginny.


"I didn’t know! I didn’t know he was going to…" Well, technically, Draco had always known that his father was a Death Eater. He had also always known that he was destined to eventually follow in his father’s footsteps. That no longer appeared to be such an attractive option. The look of pain and fury on Ginny’s face didn’t seem to Draco to be worth whatever glory his father could offer him. He didn’t like the pain he could see there, and he didn’t want hundreds more to feel the exact same thing.


Ginny, tears still pouring down her face, raised her wand. "I don’t care what you knew. You’re a Malfoy, and from now on, I hate the lot of you! If I ever see anybody with the name, I will kill them. Do you hear me? I’ll kill you for what your family has done!" She began to speak a horrible curse, one that would set the frightened boy in front of her on fire from the inside and work its way through his body, but the words stuck in her throat. All that came out were sobs. She tried again, but her hand was shaking so badly that she dropped her wand to the floor.


Draco was now too shocked at what Ginny had been prepared to do to him to even try and grab at the wand. Ginny dropped to her knees and started beating at his chest with her bare hands, crying all the time. All Draco could was take her hands gently and hold them. She tried to kick him, but from her position all that happened was that she tripped further, and Draco was almost holding her up. He looked into her eyes, and for the first time, truly saw her. She was being torn apart by this tragedy, but somehow she was beautiful through all of her tears. Draco, in all of his fifteen years, had never thought of anybody as beautiful before.


Ginny, now unable to hurt her would-be victim, fell apart. She leant against Draco, weeping. All he could do was hold her, his arms carefully enfolding her, unsure what he was supposed to do.


~~~^~~~


"So are we friends now?"


Ginny laughed out loud. How strange it felt, to be friends with a Malfoy. To be friends with a boy who, only a week ago, she had been prepared to disembowel. "I suppose so."


Draco smiled. It wasn’t his usual smug smirk. For the first time, he really smiled.


~~~^~~~


Chapter IV - When you Believe: coming to a computer screen near you

"He… he’s killing them! They’re dead, all of them! You’ve gotta run, he’s coming… wait… You’re his… he might not…" and with that the boy started babbling and Draco let him go.
Leave a Review