Surprisingly Ginny and Draco had become tentative friends over the next couple of months. They spent their evenings playing chess; they were evenly matched so more often than not it was a fierce battle. Ginny learned that Draco wasn't a morning person; but then again neither was she. This initally led to many rather sleepy arguments, but after each had a good dose of coffee, they were pleasant enough around each other. They worked well together, which was a big surprise to both of them. All in all the past few months had been happy. They rarely looked at the papers; preferring not to know most of what was printed. The Trio had stopped in twice; but they didn't seem to know or care that Ginny was even there. They walked the grounds, practiced Quidditch and ended up eating most meals in their common area. It seemed that they had made Hogwarts their own little world where they could heal from the past. Most of the Professors were sighing with relief at the cease fire. Some were more cynical and laid bets as to how long it would last.

All of the happiness was shattered late one night the week before Ginny's birthday. Professor McGonagall visited their rooms. She quietly woke Ginny.

"What's wrong Professor?" Ginny said sleepily.

"Now I want you to know that everyone is alive..."

McGonagall's voice was low and gentle. That was what had Ginny sitting upright and shoving her hair out of her face. Her heart was beating too fast. Fear and shock had her gasping for breath.

"What do you mean alive?" Ginny yelled.

Ginny's yell woke Draco; he ran down his stairs and up towards her room. He stood in the shadows outside the door; unsure if he should intrude.

"Calm down Ginny. There was an attack on the Burrow, but everyone made it out alive. Charlie and Bill were able to fight the Death Eaters long enough for everyone else to escape. Both of them have minor injuries-"

Ginny cut her off. "Where are they?"

She leapt up yanking open the wardrobe, digging about looking for suitable clothing.

"Sit down Ginny. They will all be here tomorrow, but you have to stay here. You are safest here." McGonagall said softly but sternly.

"Stay here, not a chance!"

Ginny was panicking fully now. Her family was in danger and she was sitting here on her arse doing nothing! Enough was enough. She couldn't just sit here any longer. They may need her.

"Ginny I came to you not to worry you but reassure you. The newspaper will be full of ridculous stories tomorrow and I didn't want you to read about it." McGonagall led Ginny back to bed. "You need a calming draught."

"No Professor." Ginny sighed as she quickly put a plan together. "Thank you for informing me. I will have to be content with seeing everyone tomorrow."

"If you need the draught, Madam Pomfrey has given me one. I'll leave it here on your desk. Good night Ginny."

She set the bottle down and left the bedroom. She nodded to Draco as she passed him on the landing. Still unsure of what to do, Draco knocked on the door. Ginny was upset which meant a volatile situation. But they had become friends of a sort and he knew she needed something. He just hadn't a clue what it was.

"Yes?" Ginny said quietly.

"Can I come in?"

"Sure, come on in."

He pushed the door open and saw her leaning against the headboard, crying. He cautiously sat on the edge of the bed. He had no idea how to make her stop. Maybe talking to her would help? It was worth a try.

"You woke me, I was concerned...I overheard what McGonagall told you. Are you sure you won't take the draught?"

"Thanks but I don't like taking any of that kind of thing."

Draco looked closely at her; something about her demeanor said 'trouble' to him. He had learned over the years to judge her moods. In school it had been self preservation. Now it was more out of concern for her. It was odd enough that he was concerned over someone other than himself. He really didn't understand this at all. But the important thing was calming her down; that much he knew.

"You aren't thinking of sneaking off are you?" He accused softly. "That really wouldn't do any good."

"What do you care?"

He slowly put a hand on her shoulder. "Ginny, they're alright. McGonagall wouldn't lie to you. None of them need to worry about you running off."

She sighed; it wouldn't do any good to snap at him. None of this was his fault.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you. I just feel useless."

Taking a big chance, Draco scooted closer to her and pulled her into his arms. He didn't know what possessed him to do it.

"You aren't useless Ginny. Come on try and get some sleep."

Totally perplexed at the fact she was in Draco's arms, she said. "Thanks Draco."

He smiled at her as he turned to lean back against the headboard with her still in his arms. He realized that he liked having her there. When did this start? Oh Merlin, he was in for it now. Maybe it was this friendship thing. He never had a real friend. He decided that must be it.

Ginny realized she felt safe in his arms; a sense of calm seemed to have enveloped her. She really didn't know when her feelings for Draco had changed. She just knew that she was beginning to like the new Draco. But now wasn't the time to analyze them. So she laid her head on his shoulder as she slipped into sleep.

Draco sat awake for a long time. He couldn't lie to himself. He knew falling for Ginny Weasley was not a smart move; it was likely a deadly one if her brothers found out. Draco wasn't used to affection. Bleak didn't even begin to explain his childhood. Having Lucius Malfoy for a father wasn't something Draco would have wished on his worst enemy. So a chance at happiness wasn't something he would give up too easily. Content to hold her; he finally fell asleep.

A nightmare had Ginny screaming in her sleep. Draco immediately woke up and began to speak softly to her.

"Ginny, it's alright it is just a dream. Come on wake up for me."

Slowly she woke up. She looked up at him; her eyes were terror filled and tears poured down her face.

Trying to soothe her, he wiped the tears from her face. "Its okay it was just a dream. Everyone is safe."

She saw compassion in his eyes as she began to shake. She couldn't rid the images from her mind.

He pulled her close, wishing he knew what to say or do to make her feel better. He felt incompetent. He ran his hands up and down her back gently.

"Would talking about it make you feel better?"

She nodded. "I think so. It was awful...like I was watching the attack and I couldn't do anything. Except in my dream everyone died...Mum, Dad, Bill, Charlie even Fleur..."

"It's alright Ginny. I think you should take the calming draught though, it may help you sleep."

Ginny really didn't want to but if she was this upset, maybe it would be a good idea. It seemed that the telling of her nightmare had calmed her somewhat as she wasn't shaking anymore.

"Alright I'll take a little bit of it."

Draco gave her a stern look that would have made McGonagall proud. "You'll take all of it if I have to hold you down."

Her eyebrow winged up. "Oh really? You and what army?"

Moving quickly, he pinned her arms to her sides. Smirking, he held her with one arm as he reached out for the bottle with the other.

She struggled but amazingly enough, couldn't get loose. The traitorous part of her mind was asking if she really wanted to. It was the part she usually ignored. But tonight she felt a sudden urge to listen.

"Grr! Let me go Draco!"

He smirked again. "See you will take it all. It will keep the nightmares away Ginny."

He wasn't stupid enough to let her loose so he popped the cap off the bottle and put it up to her mouth. He would wheedle, even outright beg if it meant she took the draught and got a good night's sleep.

"Come on Gin, drink up."

She stubbornly pressed her lips together.

"Oh come on now, drink it. Or I may have to take drastic measures."

She shook her head.

"Alright then you asked for it."

He leaned over and kissed her gently. Her mouth fell open in shock. He took advantage of that fact and poured the draught down her throat.

Sputtering she swallowed it. "That was so wrong."

Draco grinned. "But it worked now didn't it?"

The draught was beginning to take affect so when she said, "I'll get you for that," it didn't sound as fierce as she intended it to.

Draco smiled. "I'm sure you will."

He slid off the bed and pulled the covers over her.

She sleepily reached out for his hand. "You aren't leaving are you?"

"I'll stay for a bit...if you want me to."

Merlin he could hear the uncertainty in his own voice. When had that happened? Why had he kissed her?

"I do."

She fell asleep with her hand still holding his.

He whispered, "Accio chair," and the desk chair slid across the floor to him.

He sat down, unwilling to remove her hand. At least the chair was more of a cushy arm chair then a stiff backed one, he thought. He sat there, just watching her sleep until he finally drifted off.

~

They were rudely awakened by Ron's scream.

"What the bloody hell is going on here?"

Ginny slowly opened her eyes. She blearily looked around the room. Draco had been asleep in the chair by next to her bed; their hands were still clasped together and Ron was standing in the doorway looking murderous.

Draco, still gripping Ginny's hand, sat up straight in the chair. There wasn't any way he would allow Weasel King to upset Ginny further. She was upset enough. If that meant trying to be pleasant, for Ginny's sake he would, even if it killed him.

"What is your problem Weasley?"

"Get out of here Malfoy! Stay away from my sister!"

"Stuff it Ron. I had a nightmare and Draco was kind enough to stay with me. You need to get out."

Ginny wasn't happy. Not happy at all. If Ron knew what was good for him, he would cease this indignant posturing right now.

Ron looked utterly perplexed. He had come looking for Ginny to take her to see Bill and Charlie; he never expected to find her with the Ferret.

"Ginny you had quite a shock last night you don't know what you're saying."

Draco struggled not to laugh. He had always known that Weasel King was lacking in the brain department but he never knew he was completely brainless. But enraging Ginny proved it, especially given the current situation. He sat back to watch the show, promising himself not to step in unless absolutely necessary.

Ginny's eyes narrowed dangerously. Ron took a step back purely on instinct.

Ginny was unwilling to be treated like a two year old. "Ron...I do believe I've said this before, but mind your own business. I will be down in a few minutes. Maybe next time you will learn that you haven't permission to waltz in here anytime you please."

Ron crossed his arms over his chest, attempting to look threatening. "I'm not leaving you alone with this wanker."

Ginny had heard enough. "GET OUT RON AND DON'T SPEAK OF THINGS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!"

Molly appeared in the doorway behind Ron. "WHAT IS GOING ON IN HERE?"

She stepped around Ron and smiled at Ginny and Draco. She was proud that the two of them had finally seen past their differences. Her baby girl had finally cracked the poor boy's shell. She wouldn't let Ron ruin the tentative friendship. The boy was surprising them all; he was nothing like his father. Not that the two of them didn't snip and snarl at each other regularly. If only Ron could see past his petty school grudges.

Turning to his mother Ron said, "She had him in her room all night long Mum!"

Draco stood, unwilling for Ron to drag Ginny's name through the mud like this.

"Mrs. Weasley...Ginny had a nightmare after Professor McGonagall informed her of the attack on your home. I sat in the chair in case the calming draught didn't help her." He turned to Ron. "I don't appreciate your insinuations."

"Apologize to Draco and Ginny...now, Ronald." Molly said.

Ron's jaw dropped as his mother's words sank in. Oh hell and damnation, what is going to happen next?
Leave a Review