Disclaimer: J.K. Rowling owns the Wonderful World of Harry Potter.

******************

Star Dusted Reality

Two: Changes

"I doubt there is anyway I could look more like an absolute pillock," Draco commented with a sneer as he looked at his new reflection."Your cheek bones are kind of droopy. There are generations of Malfoys rolling in their graves right now."

"You could try being positive about the situation, Malfoy. It's not like I want to be stuck in your body anymore than you want to be stuck in mine," Harry said causing Draco to roll his green eyes.

"Spare me your mamby pamby hero talk, Potter. I might look like you right now, but that doesn't mean I want to go skipping in the field picking poppies with your lot," Draco snipped just as the Headmaster returned with a rather odd expression painted on his wise face.

"Good news, Headmaster?" Draco inquired with a charming smile. Dumbledore shook his head solemnly as he seated himself slowly behind his desk.

"Perhaps the two of you would care for a lemon drop before I divulge what I have discovered about your situation." The old man held out a canister of lemon sweets for the boys, but they both declined.

"Well, I suppose I should come out and tell you. This isn't reversible. Professor Flitwick explained to me that the magic used to make the Egyptian urn is far too old for us to tamper with. I'm afraid there is nothing I can do to switch you two back."

"You have to be joking! Are you saying that I'm stuck looking like Mary Sunshine for the rest of my life!" Draco shouted, jumping to his feet. Dumbledore smiled, but his eyes had a dark far off glaze to them instead of their normal twinkle.

"I have a team of very capable and talented wizards working to undo this ancient magic without harming either of you. But I'm afraid I have no idea when you two will be back to normal."

"You want us to pretend to be each other until this can be fixed, don't you?" Harry asked, getting to his feet.

"Exactly, Mr. Potter. I think that it would be best if we refrain from alerting anyone about this situation. The ministry would have a field day if they got wind of something like this happening." Dumbledore also stood, pulling his wand out to draw up two packets of parchment for the boys.

"I cannot believe my ears. You can't be serious about this. Are we really to pretend to be one another?" Draco spouted, feeling that steam from earlier coming out of his ears again. Dumbledore carefully handed them each a packet, which Harry accepted graciously while Draco growled under his breath as he snatched the parchment up.

"It is your new schedules and house rules. I would suggest that you read through those together and help each other readjust to a new life. Might I add on a final note that this is a temporary situation, so a positive attitude is in order."


I must be suffering from temporary insanity to be sitting here with POTTER! Draco thought to himself as he took a long sip from his tea cup. The two boys were sitting together in a small parlour adjacent to the Headmaster's quarters, Harry sitting with the packet open on his knees and Draco concentrating greatly on his cup of tea. Harry cleared his throat to get Draco's attention after a long moment of silence.

"I suggest we get this over with, Malfoy," Harry stated stridently. Draco scoffed and set his tea cup down with a loud clink.

"What do you suggest we converse about first, Potter? Perhaps you can give me a short tutorial on being a complete wanker, because that is the only way I'm going to pull off being you," Draco drawled, pushing his glasses up with annoyance before flipping open his own packet.

"Look Malfoy, I would just say that we can forget this whole meeting business, but I would rather that you not completely sully my reputation. If you don't know a few things about me, my friends are going to know that you are not me. Let's just be civil enough to write down what our normal day is like, OK?" Harry suggested calmly, though he felt like pummeling Draco right there in the Headmaster's tea parlour. Draco sighed arrogantly, but nodded after a moment of thought.

"Fine, Potter. Just make sure you print. I'm not about to try reading your chicken scratch."

****

"Grubby Boils!" Draco enunciated clearly, feeling quite foolish to be speaking to a very large painting of a fat lady. She looked up from a painted copy of Wuthering Heights, and gave him a once over through a pair of antique spectacles before the portrait door swung open.

The Gryffindor common room was bedecked in maroon and gold, couches and armchairs clumped into small circles around the fireplace, and portraits of former Gryffindors covering the walls. It was a different atmosphere from the formal Slytherin common room he was accustomed to. Draco felt like vomiting at the obvious house pride, but forgot all about those thoughts when he spotted the red headed girl from earlier sitting in front of the fire place warming her toes.

"Harry! Where were you at supper!" He heard a familiar voice call. He turned to see Weasley sitting in the corner of the common room by the window with Granger next to him reading. He cringed on the inside as he greeted him, "All right, mate?"

"Alright, Harry! Where'd you run off to? I thought we were going to grab a bite together?" Ron asked loudly from across the room.

"I had some homework! I'm tired so I'm going to turn in. Night!" Draco shouted back and quickly ran up the stairs to his right. He had almost reached the top when he felt his feet slip out from under him. He realized he was sliding down a slide that had been the stairs a moment ago. When he reached the bottom, he heard clapping and shouts of excitement from the occupancy of the common room. Thanks for the need to know info, Potter.



A normal day in the life of Harry Potter:

Wake up around 6:30 to shower; Dress and go to breakfast around 7:00 (normal breaky is a poached egg and toast, or bangers and hash, and pumpkin juice); Potions follows at 8:15 ( you know that because we have the class together)


"The pillock has this bloody thing alphabetized!" Draco said to himself, pulling on a pair of socks.

Draco casually flipped through Harry's packet, after he had situated himself in his new room. He also had dug through Harry's clothes to find something suitable to sleep in, finally settling for a pair of sweat trousers and a Quidditch shirt.

He noticed there was a picture of Ginny Weasley pinned up on one of the posts of Harry's bed. She was smiling shyly, occasionally blowing the camera a kiss. He opened the packet to the G's and found two sentences on the cute red head:

Ginny- We have been dating for about a month. Please try to avoid her because I have been planning on breaking things off between us.

****

Harry stepped out of the shower feeling quite refreshed, and he sighed loudly in relief to himself as he got dressed and ready for bed. He laughed out loud at Malfoy's silk pajamas and matching slippers, having to remind himself that he was now a rich Slytherin. He nosed through Malfoy's tidy desk, finding old letters from his mother and father, a box of photos of the Malfoy family, a few expensive quills and a leather bound journal.

He knew that he had agreed to stay out of Malfoy's belongings, but it was far too tempting not to peak. He pulled the string holding the book shut and flipped through the practically full journal. It was sort of weird to contemplate that Malfoy was a journal keeping bloke. He really didn't seem sensitive enough to do anything of the sort. Harry opened the journal to a random date and began to read:

It pains me to keep all of these emotions hidden from everyone. My reputation allows me no freedom to be who I really am. Everyone knows me as arrogant, rich, selfish, and hateful. The things is, I have been these things. I treat everyone with this disdain, hating them because I hate myself. I am bound to be a Malfoy , and all that entails the name. I have been marked to become a replica of my father, and replace him in his evil doings once he is unable. Everyone expects this of me, but no one ever asked me if this was what I wanted.

No one has tried to see beyond what my name says that I am. No one... except her. It wasn't a grandiose gesture, instead, it was a simple smile. But in that smile, I saw myself in her eyes, a reflection of someone worth loving. I think that I hated her for it. I wanted her to hate me just like everyone else. But she never did. She always just smiled at me, her brown eyes filling every empty space in my heart.

Is it possible to catch a glimpse of someone from across a crowded room and instantly fall in love with them? I have always believed that love at first sight was a hoax; something old women speak of when the passion of their marriages has died out. But when I saw her walking across the great hall that morning, my heart decided for me that my ideals were entirely incorrect. I've fallen in love with ...


A name was written and scratched out. Harry knew that he could use a simple charm to reveal what had been written before, but he simply closed the journal and put it back where he had found it. It was the only kind gesture he could offer to Malfoy after years of hating him.

A/N: I really appreciate all reviews!!
Leave a Review