05. Trapped

Ginny hurried inside and quickly shut the door behind her. Her heart was racing. She leaned against the door for support and slid down to the floor. Draco Malfoy was only toying with her and she knew it! But, it was working. She couldn’t deny she was physically attracted to him, and judging by the conversations they’d had, she was mentally attracted to him as well: Draco Malfoy was quite smart when he wanted to be.

“But it’s all an act!” she scolded as she tried to collect herself and get up off the ground. She was still flushed and angry, but she rose from the floor and headed off to bed.

xxx

As soon as he was inside his room, Draco grabbed the nearest piece of furniture for support. Sweet gods above! Being that close to the Doctor and not kissing her… it was torture! She smelled so good and he had seen and heard her response to his actions. She had been preparing for him to kiss her. It was what he had wanted, of course. Wait! No, it wasn’t!

He couldn’t get the sight of her parted, plump lips and closed eyes out of his brain. “Quit thinking with your dick, mate,” he fussed. “I don’t really like her. Of course I don’t! It’s all part of the plan. Schmooze her, charm her then get her to let me off the hook!” He nodded in agreement with himself. “She just happens to be very attractive. So what if I’d snog her silly and shag her in an instant?”

Since when did he actually have a plan for this? He didn’t know, but now he had to have one. He had to get out of this before the Doctor drove him crazy with lust. And that was all it was, right? Sure, he forgot about her body and gorgeous face when he was deep in conversation with her, actually focusing on who she was and what she was saying, but that didn’t mean anything, did it?

“Draco!” The voice startled him out of his inner battle. “Mate, where have you been?”

He turned to the head in the fireplace. “Blaise, how kind of you to Floo. Can I help you?” he asked flatly.

“Pansy’s just told me some interesting news,” Blaise drawled. Draco arched an eyebrow. “It would seem that you and Dr. Weasley are the talk of the town. You were seen enjoying a nice, quiet, romantic dinner at a cozy restaurant by two of the biggest gossips ever. Naturally, they called Pansy first.”

Draco rolled his eyes and flopped ungracefully down on his sofa. “It’s all part of a plan. I’ve got to get her to see I don’t need her services… her professional ones anyway. Would being a complete and total jerk accomplish that goal? No. So, I must charm her. That’s all it is.”

“Pansy heard that you smiled and laughed.”

“I smile and laugh quite frequently on dates.”

“Yes, but normally you laugh at the poor girl, not with her. Pansy was told this was different.”

“Tell Pansy to shove it up her nosy white—“

“Draco!” called a shrill voice as another head slipped into the fireplace beside Blaise. “Don’t you dare say it! I have all of this information on good authority. I was actually happy for you! It’s past time you settled down and quit acting the perpetual bachelor! If that girl makes you happy, then go for it!”

“Yes Pansy, whatever you say. I’m tired you two. Goodnight,” he said and extinguished the two heads from his fireplace.

xxx

Ginny decided not to contact Draco for a few days. She needed to make him think she had forgotten about their last encounter and she needed to try and actually forget it. But, try as she may, she could not. For all the bad things she associated with him, Draco Malfoy was still attractive; too attractive to her. Also, she’d heard the rumors. No doubt a Patil twin and Lavender Brown had been somewhere in the vicinity. She’d already scolded herself for not being more careful.

She had seen Seamus twice since her date with Draco to try and convince herself that she was attracted to nice guys who had good looks who maybe just lacked a bit in other areas. She’d finally let Seamus kiss her, but it hardly lived up to any expectations she had. It was sweet and nice, but it lacked the passion she was looking for. She had a feeling she knew where she’d find that passion and she kept scolding herself for the thought.

“Doctor,” called Jane through the Wizardcom.

“Yes,” she replied.

“You have a visitor.”

“I’m not expecting anyone, Jane. Who is it?”

Jane hesitated and then answered. “Mr. Malfoy.”

Ginny inhaled sharply.

“Should I tell him to—”

“No, I’ll be there shortly. Thank you, Jane.” Ginny had to force herself not to slam her head down onto her desk. She checked her face and hair in the mirror she kept in a desk drawer and stood, smoothing her skirt. It had been nearly a week since she’d seen him.

She collected herself and strode purposefully down the hallway to her waiting room. Draco Malfoy stood at Jane’s desk, trying to engage her in conversation and failing.

“Mr. Malfoy, I wasn’t expecting you.”

He turned to her and smirked. “I know. I thought we should talk.”

“Come on then,” she gestured for him to follow her. Once in her office, she sat behind her desk and he remained standing.

“What’s with your secretary?”

“You’re not her type. Sorry,” Ginny nearly snarled.

“What is her type?”

“Let’s put it this way, shall we? She’d be more likely to go for me than you, understand?” She saw the surprise register in Draco’s eyes.

“Really? I’d never have guessed.”

“Yes, well surely Jane isn’t what you are here to talk about?”

“No, not at all. Actually, I need your help.”

Ginny tried to hide her look of surprise. “Help? I thought you couldn’t wait to—”

“I’ve realized what an asset your services are. I’ve a business client I’m trying to … well, at any rate she’s a very intellectual woman and she’s the type of woman you’ve been saying I should go for. So, help me get her.”

She was shocked, to say the least, but tried not to show it. Then, her common sense crept in. “Mr. Malfoy, I’m not going to help you woo some woman so you can get her business and drop her like a bad habit. You can just forget it!”

“It’s not like that,” he said as he sat across from her. “She’s… different. I think it could actually work. I’ve done a lot of thinking since the other night and, well, I feel that you are right and that I should change my ways.”

Ginny’s jaw dropped momentarily and then she threw her head back and laughed. “Oh, you are good, Mr. Malfoy! You are really, really good!”

Draco raised an eyebrow and cocked his head.

“Look, if you want out of this that bad, I’ll Owl your mum with a stellar review of everything that is you, Draco Malfoy, her son. She’ll drop this thing and you’ll be free, alright?”

She watched as Draco stood there with an odd expression on his face, not talking.

xxx

Draco opened his mouth to protest and then paused, thinking. His goal had been to get her to say she would help. Then, he’d find out how to woo her and do so without her knowing.

He had thought long and hard about it. He’d gone out with one or two of his perpetual … dates. He’d found that he couldn’t even make it to the fun part. Half-way through each dinner, he’d had to make excuses and get out quickly. He’d lain in bed tossing and turning thinking only of red hair, long legs, and big brown eyes.

“Dra… er, Mr. Malfoy, is there a problem?” He was shaken from his thoughts by her voice. She had stopped laughing and was giving him a look of concern.

“No. I’d like you to Owl Mum, just like you said. I just don’t have the time for this anymore.” He felt his eyes would betray him and so he moved to her window and looked out on the street below.

“Actually doing work are you?” she asked snidely.

“Yes. I find it quite rewarding. I really should be going. Thank you, Doctor Weasley,” he said as he went to the door.

“For what?”

“Your time. You are good at what you do. The best of luck to you; good day,” he said shortly.

Draco left abruptly and heard the Doctor sputter something like ‘you’re welcome,’ but he was quickly gone.

xxx

Ginny swiveled around in her chair at her desk, thoroughly confused. Draco Malfoy had come in here without an appointment, asked for her help, and then left abruptly seeming rather upset.

Ginny spun around a few more times and then stopped, checking her desk calendar. She punched the button on her Wizardcom, “Jane, I’m done for the day. I need to get out of here.”

“Yes, Doctor. Anything you need done while you are out?”

Ginny thought about Jane’s question. “No. Come to think of it, take the rest of the day off yourself.”

Ginny clicked off without waiting for an answer or thanks. She gathered her things and fled her office through a back door. She spent the rest of the afternoon shopping and sipping coffee at her favorite coffee house.

However, her relaxing afternoon turned sour when she opened the latest copy of Witch Life magazine and plastered on the front of the gossip section was a picture of her laughing with Draco Malfoy at the restaurant they’d last been to.

She spit her coffee across the paper and the table in the most unladylike gesture. She was startled to hear a voice behind her.

“My goodness, Doctor.”

Ginny turned and shot up from her seat. She grabbed a napkin to wipe the coffee dripping from her mouth and chin. She knew Narcissa Malfoy when she saw her. “Mrs. Malfoy! Forgive me; I just had a shock, is all.”

“Yes, as was I when my advance copy was delivered. I went by your office, but it was closed. I happened to see you come over here from O’Claires and wanted to talk to you.”

“Yes ma’am, certainly. How can I help you?”

Narcissa gave her a pointed look.

“Oh, excuse me! Won’t you sit down?” Ginny stuttered as she gestured to the empty seat across from her.

Narcissa gracefully took the seat. “I’ve noticed some differences in Draco. I think what you have been doing has been working.”

“Ah, yes. Well, actually I was going to Owl you. You see—”

“I know. He’s charmed you. He’s convinced you he doesn’t need your services.” She gestured to the picture in the magazine, which still lay open on the table.

“Yes, actually.”

Narcissa simply looked her over. “If you say so, I suppose it is so.”

Ginny fought hard to keep her jaw from dropping open. She’d been unladylike enough as it was.

“It’s just as well, I suppose. At any rate, I’ll be Owling you an invitation to my annual charity ball.”

Ginny gasped. She’d heard of Narcissa Malfoy’s famed charity events – and the ball was the highlight of the season! “Oh!”

“I take that to mean you’ll be accepting my invitation?”

“Oh yes, ma’am! Thank you so much!” Ginny was nearly trembling with excitement.

“You’re welcome. I look forward to seeing you there. Good day, Doctor Weasley.” With that, Narcissa rose and exited the café.

Ginny had no idea what had just happened, nor why, but, she didn’t care. She had all the more excuse to do some shopping and even though the ball was nearly a month away, it might take that long to secure the perfect dress and robes.

xxx

Outside the café, Narcissa Malfoy smiled to herself. She had a plan and was setting it into motion. Draco was a fool to believe she’d just take the Doctor’s word. The Doctor was also a fool if she didn’t see what Narcissa did. “I always do have to take things into my own hands, Tippy,” Narcissa said as she waited for Tippy the house elf to give her the sun spectacles.
Leave a Review