So few people had come to show their last respects in the light showers and heavy mists that showered the countryside. More would have come if the service had been for anyone but him. But that was the harsh truth of it. It was him. No one cared about a Malfoy, even the one who deserted everything he knew and had been taught in favor of what was right. Not but a handful of people had ever believed him to be sincere in his turn-about and out of those few, even fewer treated him with any respect.

In that small group, there were only three people in the course of his short life who truly believed in him. Two of his friends were dead now. The war had come and gone and had left her alone in its wake.


She was the only one left standing there, the only one who grieved for him. She knew she should go in out of the weather, but still she stood. She couldn’t bring herself to move from the spot she held, to leave him cold and alone in his grave. It felt like a fate worse than the one the Lady Death had already dealt him. Years of secret rendezvous, stolen kisses, tearful good-byes, jubilant reunions, and a secret wedding were ended in the soft shower of rain under a weather-beaten willow tree where he was buried.

So she stood, shivering against the autumn cold, black robes pulled tight against the wind and rain, the warming charm long since faded away. Crimson hair flittering in the breeze behind her. She had left it down despite her mother’s tutting of disrespect. At the time, she had thought instantly he wouldn’t have been offended, after all he preferred it hanging down loose around her shoulders and had insisted on telling her so every time she had worn it up. Her thoughts drifted to a time when he would spend hours twining her hair around his fingers. She laughed to herself, wondering if he understood just how much that little habit of his annoyed her and she would give anything to have him play with her hair just one more time.

She wore no jewelry save for two pieces. A gold and silver wedding band, the gold and silver weaving in and out in intricate braid that melted into one swirl around a brilliant green diamond that was set right down in the band itself and a cloak broach that he’d hand crafted for her on their 2nd anniversary. A silver serpent with green eyes entwined around a golden lion with ruby eyes. She had never worn either piece in the company of anyone besides him, lest they give away their secrets and endanger so many they cared for. It had been a war after all and certain enemies could and would use such attachments against them and they both knew it well.

Her mother had not questioned her about the two items that her daughter clearly couldn’t afford when she had walked into the kitchen of her former home prior to the service, after all a mother tends to know everything. She figured her mum had suspected there was something between the two for years, but had never the voice to speak of it. Her mother had simply pulled her into a silent hug before Disapparating them from the Burrow to Malfoy Manor.

The service was short and to the point. The typical Wizard funeral blessing was read and that had been that. No one to speak with happy memories to share. No one with eulogies of past time best remembered and wishes for peace in the after life. Just a simple blessing. Everyone had drifted away leaving only her to mourn.

So she stood, cold and damp, tears staining her still freckled face. Tears for a lover lost and pain suffered. For statements made far too late. Statements held forever in the granite they were carved into.



Draco Malfoy

My husband and my best friend.

I will always love you.
We will meet again.

Your Beloved
Ginevra W. Malfoy
The End.
Liquidvamp is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Tears in the Rain also liked 157 other stories.
Leave a Review