“If music be the food of love, [sing] on.” –William Shakespeare



Where family feuds, snarling insults, and clashes with the Dark Lord fail, the sweet songs of life take hold to connect the weasel and the ferret in a relationship other than pure hatred. What can soothe the fiery heart of Ginny, or melt the icy soul of Draco? Music.

Category: Works in Progress
Rating: Sorta Naughty
Characters: None
Compliant with: None
Era: None
Genres: Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Completed: No
Series: None

Chapters: 4 | Word count: 10995 | Read count: 12741 | Published: Jul 10, 2006 | Updated: Jul 22, 2006
[Report This]

(Reviews - 16) Microsoft Word Printer ePub eBook

1. Prologue: In the Beginning (Reviews - 3) 1055 words

Introduction


For background information on this story, read along. If you’re one of those impatient readers…then skip on down! Get right to the good stuff.


* * *


The idea for this fanfic came to me after reading Extreme Dancer’s Angel of Music, a story intertwining the musical of Phantom of the Opera with Harry Potter (considering it was their story who gave me this idea, I find it fitting to give them some credit here). I have also found inspiration in the fictions of Misconceptions by Hearts Cadence (I love your Blaise!) and Piano in the Dark by Grayecam (piano romance is so fitting for Draco and Ginny). My most favorite activities in the world are reading and singing, so what better way to create a beautiful fanfic than to write something you are truly passionate about?


In order to account for some real-life time differences, the entire “world” of Harry Potter has been displaced so as Harry started Hogwarts in 1999 instead of 1991. I do this so that some of the musicals and even historic events that occur in my story do not seem out of place.


A Brief Timeline (for those of you who pay attention to technicalities):


1988 “ Draco Malfoy is born (5 June) as is Harry Potter (31 July)

1989 “ Voldemort falls from power and Ginny Weasley is born (11 August)

1999 “ Harry, Draco, and the rest of the crew begin their first year at Hogwarts

2000 “ Ginny starts her first year at Hogwarts

2005 “ Draco is 17, Ginny 16, and romance begins!


If Music Be the Food of Love is considered “AU” or “alternate universe”. This isn’t a story trying desperately to warp what has happened in the books, but rather almost a parallel universe to how the characters in Harry Potter series would react. One important thing to note is that in this fanfic, the only thing that didn’t happen in HBP was Dumbledore’s death (and consequently Snape’s betrayal, etc.). Draco did do everything else in an attempt to do so, but failed. The attack on Hogwarts, thus, also is nonexistent. However, everything else should be constant.


Furthermore, none of the lyrics, similarities, or quotes from any of the movies or musicals I mention belongs to me. Duh. I’d prefer not to get sued. I’ve attempted to catch all references within the author notes. Now on to the story!



2. Chapter 1: Old Rivalries (Reviews - 5) 3069 words

Many thanks to my Beta, LadySunflower.

3. Chapter 2: The Music Room (Reviews - 1) 3394 words

Again, many thanks to LadySunflower for the beta. Enjoy!

4. Chapter 3: Midnight Serenade (Reviews - 7) 3477 words