Chapter 3: Midnight Serenade

~And in music my soul began to soar! (The Phantom of the Opera)

* * *

Blast it all. I hate it when he’s right! Ginny glanced down yet another of the many identical hallways. She once tried retracing her tracks and landed on a whole different floor. Her cheeks burned hot with embarrassment and rage. I feel like a first year again, not knowing how to even get to the Great Hall. Ginny couldn’t help but feel that the castle was laughing at her woes.

“Hello?” she shouted down the corridor. “Anybody? Hello!”

“Geesh, Weasley...no need to yell like a dying cow. Unless, that is, you’ve been untruthful about your parentage.” She spun around to come face-to-face with Malfoy. Her heart sunk. If I have to be rescued, why did I have to be rescued by him! Regardless, it was somebody.

“Following me, Malfoy?” Why, oh why didn’t she just accept help as it came?

“Of course, Weaslette. Why else would I wind up here in the middle of Merlin-knows-where?” He had a point, blasted.

“Like I said, I like to get lost.”

“Couldn’t you for once accept charity? I would have thought your family was used to that by now.” Malfoy smirked, obviously knowing he’d thrown gasoline onto a fire.

“Couldn’t you for once be kind?” she spat back in his face.

“Throwing insults again, I see.”

“Well, isn’t that your favorite hobby?” For some reason, he paused. Ginny studied his face momentarily before he sneered at her.

“Come.”

“Pfft. I’m not following you. You’ll probably lead me right into a pack of Death Eaters or something like that.”

Malfoy whirled back to face her. He stuck his finger mere centimeters from her nose. “Stuff it, Weasley, or I won’t help you.”

“Ha! You give help to a Weasley? That’s a laugh.”

He smirked a sly smile. “Maybe it is, maybe it is.” Against her better judgment, Ginny followed when he walked down the hall.

* * *

She realized the instant they walked into the Great Hall that following Malfoy had been a bad idea. In fact, it was probably one of the worst decisions she had ever made in her life. Upon reaching familiar territory, Malfoy had seized her wrist and dragged her towards the Great Hall. Ginny had tried escaping a few times, but the iron grip held her in place. Now, as he swung the grand doors wide, she witnessed him don the trademark sneer.

“Hey Potter, forget something?” Ginny’s face burned in shame as Malfoy tossed her forward, causing her to trip over her cloak. She didn’t dare look up at Harry and the others. “Shouldn’t leave a treat like this lying around.” Ginny was painfully aware the entire Hall was staring right at them.

Across the room, the Trio could only gape.

“Malfoy,” she whispered under her breath so only he could hear. “Let me go, please!”

He yanked her arm, pulling her body close to his. She smelled something crisp and rich. His cologne. A shiver crept up her spine. No! He’s a Malfoy. The ferret boy. And right now he’s-

“What was that, little Weaslette?” His breath warmed her ear as he whispered. “Let you go? Don’t Weasleys learn their lessons? Should I remind you of that experience back on the train?”

The heat of embarrassment was quickly giving way to the heat of anger. “Malfoy,” she hissed back, “if you don’t let me go right now, I swear I’ll-”

“You’ll what?” The grip on her wrist increased tenfold. Malfoy smirked as she winced in pain. “My point made.”

During their short interlude, the Trio seemed to have gotten over their initial shock. When she looked up, it was into the end of Ron’s wand as he, Harry, and Hermione ran across the hall. Thank Merlin, it’s about time. Just before she could smile in thanks towards her friends, Malfoy shoved her away, letting go of her wrist. Ginny was, again in his presence, sprawled unladylike on the floor.

“Get your hands off my sister!” Ron’s shout rang throughout the hall. Malfoy looked calmly back at him.

“If you could afford glasses like Scarface here, you would clearly see that I do not have my hands on your sister, Weasley.”

“I’ll hex your sorry arse off! I swear I will!” Ron had finally closed the distance between him and Malfoy.

“Twenty points from Gryffindor for insulting a prefect.”

“Damn you, Malfoy!” The pointy end of Ron’s wand hovered centimeters from Malfoy’s perfectly sculpted nose. The blond boy didn’t even bat an eye. On the other hand, Ron’s burning red face indicated he was anything but calm. “Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t rearrange your face, right here, right now.”

“Expulsion.” Malfoy’s tone was flat and to-the-point. This would all end in a bloodbath if she let them continue. Ginny managed to cover any indecency with her cloak before speaking up.

“Ron, please don’t make a scene.” Her eyes traveled meaningfully towards the head table, and she prayed he caught her hint. For a moment, her brother hesitated.

Simultaneously, Harry was staring very intently at the newly formed bruises on her wrist. “Ron...” He indicated her arm to his friend. Too late, Ginny tried to cover her wrist from Ron’s eyes. The fragile control Ron had been maintaining broke instantly.

“You bloody git...you-” Malfoy interrupted him by pulling his own wand.

“Watch it, Weasley.” The silky voice seemed sedate, but one look in his grey eyes showed as much anger as Ron’s red face. All hell was about to break loose.

“Ron!” Ginny’s shout reverberated throughout the Hall. Trying not to shake, she stood and faced Ron, putting herself between the two boys. “Ron,” she repeated more quietly, “I’m fine. Lets go back to dinner. Malfoy was just showing me back to the Great Hall.”

“You were alone with Malfoy?” Ron kept his wand pointed steadily at Malfoy while turning his full attention to his younger sister. He was so taking this the wrong way.

“That’s not the poi-”

“Of course it’s the point! What were you doing alone with Malfoy!”

Ginny could feel her temper spiraling out of control. “I got lost, okay? Malfoy found me and brought me back here. He’s a prefect. That’s what he does!”

“Malfoy wouldn’t help his own mother if she were dying!” Behind her, Malfoy stiffened. Not going well...

“Well, maybe you’re just so pigheaded that you would never imagine someone like Malfoy having a sense of pride to do his job instead of finding fault in you every second of his life!” She felt, rather than saw, the distinct and amused smirk Malfoy gave her. I’m defending Malfoy...I’m defending Malfoy. A betraying blush colored her check, merely giving Malfoy more reason to grin. Stupid, arrogant git. She mentally shrugged off the feeling and focused her attention on her brother’s fuming features.

“Who’s to say,” Ron’s voice quieted so that only those in the immediate area could hear him, “that ferret-face ever finishes the tasks given to him?” Behind him, Hermione stifled a small gasp. Wrong thing to say Ron. Bringing up last year? Oh, so wrong thing to say... Malfoy’s slow drawl cut through the air.

“Weasley...”

* * *

“You were alone with Malfoy?” Draco controlled his smirk to a mere twitch of the lips. In hindsight, he could easily see how frustrated the little Weaslette got with her brother.

“That’s not the poi-”

“Of course it’s the point!” He rolled his eyes. If Draco could narrow down Weasley’s faults to one thing, it would be his lack of foresight. Weasley continued to berate his sister, most of which, Draco tuned out.

The young witch was quickly getting angry, any guy could see that, and while he didn’t mind teaching the girl her place, Draco distinctly remembered how handy she was with that wand of hers. Ron’s voice distracted him.

“...wouldn’t help his own mother if she were dying!” His body went rigid. How dare that slimy, good-for-nothing, git even think he has the right to insult my mother. I’ll show that-

“Well maybe you’re just so pigheaded that you would never imagine someone like Mal-” Is she defending me? He trained his eyes on the back of her head. “...of pride to do his job instead of fi-” She is defending me. Interesting. Draco remembered how jealous he’d been when the same witch stood up for the glorious Potter back in second year. Now, here she was again doing the exact same thing for him. Being defended by a mousy girl in second year is nothing compared to being defended by her much older self for her brother’s hated enemy. Weasley must be stewing. The thought did give him pleasure. A slight “hrmp” escaped his lips as he grinned at the Weaslette. The grin widened as he caught sight of the red coloring creeping up her neck.

Ron was speaking now. Blast, should I ever be distracted by a Weasley! A moment later he realized what a terrible mistake the other boy was making. “...finishes the tasks given to him?” Instantly, a burning fire in his gut ignited. They know about it. Merlin, of course they know! Bloody Potter and his bloody hounds always have to know everything. And Weasley? Weasley...

“Weasley...” It took Draco a second to realize he’d said his foe’s name aloud. Apparently there was enough contempt and anger in his voice to cause a flash of fear to flicker across the boy’s eyes. Good. “Should you ever, ever, think that you know anything about anything I promise you I will put my father’s training into good practice.” He pushed his wand closer to the redhead’s nose. “And trust me, Weasley, my father was an excellent teacher in all arts.”

Ron visibly gulped. The git doesn’t really have the courage to-

Ginny briskly turned to stick her own wand in his face. Draco’s eyebrows shot up before he had a chance to react.

“Malfoy. I do believe you’ve once been familiar with the hexes I throw from this wand.” He replied with a slight sneer. “Good. Now I’ll have you know,” she was lathering a false sweetness into every word. Brazen witch. “...should you think it amusing to threaten my family with Unforgivables, then I will not hesitate to throw your sorry arse into St. Mungo’s straight away.”

She had brass, he could give her that much. However, before any of the young witches and wizards could respond, McGonagall stepped into the scene. About time, woman. Not that he wouldn’t mind busting Weasley’s butt, but it would not be so easy with his sister and cronies standing right there.

“Mr. Weasley, Mr. Malfoy, I demand you lower your wands at once. You too, Miss Weasley.” Slowly all obeyed. “In heaven’s name, what was going on here?”

“Malfoy was assaulting my sis-”

“Professor, please! Malfoy was just showing me back. There was no harm done.” Ginny glared at her brother with the last few words. “He just over-reacted.”

Obviously the situation seemed a bit far-fetched to the older witch. She turned to Draco curiously. “Is this true, Mr. Malfoy?”

He stole a glance at Ginny. Why is she defending me to a teacher? If the wench thinks she can get something out of me, she’s got another thing coming. Still... “Yes, Professor McGonagall. Miss Weasley was lost and I happened to come upon her. Her brother assaulted me.”

“You git! You assaulted her! Look at her wrist. He hurt her!” McGonagall glanced at Draco angrily. Blast it all.

“It’s fine!” Everyone stared at Ginny. Weasley. “Professor, I’m fine. Truly. I don’t know what he’s talking about.” What the...He realized good and well she was lying on his behalf, but as to why, he was at a loss. “I’m sorry for the interruption. My brother over-reacts.”

“Very well, but Mr. Weasley, I wish to see you in detention tonight for this disturbance.” Ron’s mouth dropped. Draco suppressed a snicker. “And you, Mr. Malfoy...” Crap. “...I hope you refrain from escorting lost students in such a boisterous manner.” Is she going to let me off? “Regardless, I feel you should serve detention with Mr. Weasley.” Oh yeah, he thought dryly, I forgot hell hasn’t frozen over. “I highly suggest you all return to dinner. 8:30, you two. Don’t forget.”

Weasley sulked off with Potter and Granger in tow. Draco turned his head towards Ginny. No,Weasley. She glanced up at him with one raised eyebrow before stalking off. He watched as she receded to the Gryffindor table. Brown. Her eyes are brown.

* * *

The Gryffindor common room was eerily quiet. Most of the students buried themselves in their bookwork or chess games. None wanted to bring upon the wrath of the Weasleys that had been displayed earlier. At dinner Seamus Finnigan had dared to congratulate Ginny on her telling-off of Malfoy. He was rewarded with not one, but four cold stars from Ginny, Ron, Harry, and even Hermione. After that, everyone vowed to stay quiet about the incident.

Ginny worked methodically by the fire. As of yet, no one else had bothered to bug her about what happened. Regardless, she was beginning to tire of the curious, hateful, and pitiful looks her house was sending in her direction. With a loud huff, she slammed her book shut and stalked upstairs to the girls’ dormitory.

“Oh! Gin, there you are. I was wondering when you’d finally come up.”

“Hey, Alice.” Ginny glanced at her friend. Alice Hirball and Ginny Weasley didn’t have a lot in common, but the little brunette witch often gladly acted as a sounding board for Ginny’s frustrations. For that matter, Alice acted as “number one listener” for most of the girls in Gryffindor. Ginny swore the girl knew pretty much everything about everybody though Alice had yet to divulge anything. She was unofficially named “Secret Keeper” or, in Ginny’s case, “Damage Control.”

“I heard about what happened in the Great Hall.” Oh great. Now I get to talk about it.

“Well, yeah...kinda hard not to.”

“Quite true. I was at the other end of the Gryffindor table, but Collin filled me in on all the details.” Alice tilted her head as if to will Ginny into confession. “Care to talk about it?”

“No,” she huffed back. Alice patiently waited. With a loud groan, Ginny broke. “Okay, okay! I don’t know what the heck got into me. One minute Malfoy is making a fool of me, and the next I’m defending the ferret!” She collapsed into her bed. “It’s as confusing to me as it is to everyone else.”

Alice swiftly joined the depressed girl on her bed. Ginny kept her eyes closed despite knowing Alice was staring holes into her. Finally, she cracked one eye opened. The brunette smirked.

“You’re sulking.”

“Yes, I’m sulking. Do I have reason not to sulk?”

“Actually,” Alice said with a sly grin, “you do. Your family’s in good health, your grades are looking up, the sky is blue and clear, the-”

“I get it.”

“Sorry. Sometimes you just need a little reality check.” Alice poked her as Ginny rolled her eyes.

“Alright. So what do you want me to say?”

“Whatever will make you feel better.” This is how it normally went. Ginny would sulk after some row with her brother or something of the sorts, Alice would give her a good knock in the head, and Ginny would proceed to get whatever it was off her chest.

Ginny threw her friend a long look. “I have...no idea.”

Alice raised one eyebrow slightly.

“Okay, I have no concrete idea.” She sat up on her bed. “ Alice, I don’t know what’s gotten into me. Ron and I fight constantly, mostly over the stupidest stuff. But this, somehow it seems different, and I have no idea why!” Ginny crossed her arms over her chest. “I mean, I was sticking up for Malfoy, ferret face. The guy who hates my brother’s guts and would gladly see all of us Incendio’d right before his eyes.”

“And yet, you did.”

“Yeah, and I can’t for the life of me figure out why. I’d like to say I’m just so furious at Ron and...” Ginny stopped herself. “Maybe that’s just it. I wanted to get back at Ron the worst possible way and I couldn’t help it.” The look in Alice’s eye told Ginny that the other girl was hardly buying this.

“You don’t really thin-”

“That’s just it. I don’t know what to think.” Ginny stood and walked over to the window. Alice watched as she turned the latch and freed the pane of glass and iron.

“Ginny?”

“This reminds me of something.”

“Yelling at Ron, or defending Malfoy?”

“No, neither. This feeling inside me-” Ginny’s thoughts floated back to the musical she had come to love. Its lyrics slowly seeped into her consciousness.

On her bed, Alice watched quietly.

Gently, the redhead ran her hand against the stone around the opened window. “Something,” she whispered, mostly to herself, “something has changed-”

Alice silently retreated to her own bed, leaving Ginny to herself. She understood the best healing for her friend was the music that bound her very soul.

Something has changed within me.” Ginny paused; she failed to notice Alice ’s retreat. Something had definitely changed. But what?

Something is not the same.” Why would she defend Malfoy? And why did he help her? Did it matter? “I’m through with playing by the rules of someone else’s game.” The lyrics were perfect for her. Ironic.

I’m tired of being Ron’s little good sister. I’m tired of being the one who will love Harry. I’m tired of all this crap! Determination set in her brow as she sung into the night air.

Too late for second guessing. Too late to go back to sleep...it’s time to trust my instincts,” Ginny glared into the heavens, “Close my eyes, and leap!” All coherent thought melted away, something she always appreciated when she sung. Listening could wash off the surface of pain, but singing it could cleanse her soul.

It’s time to try defying gravity. I think I’ll try defying gravity. And you can’t pull me down.” Without caring who was in the dorm, or who could hear, Ginny sang away her confusions into the night air.

* * *

Detention with the Weasley wimp had been anything but pleasant. The whole situation had quickly put Draco in a sour mood. Despite the hour drawing late, he headed outdoors. Anything, anything to get my head clear.

The cold night air briskly froze his thought process, something Draco was quite thankful for. He didn’t want to be mulling over this afternoon’s events any more than he had to.

“...try defying gravity.” Draco stopped in his tracks. He could have sword he just heard someone. “...think I’ll try defy-” There it was again. Confident his imagination was not playing tricks on him, Draco glanced around, hoping to discover the origins of the voice.

“...you can’t pull me down.”

Where is that coming from? It sounded almost like an echo, something far-away and faint. Yet, he could hear it clearly.

I’m through accepting limits, ‘cause someone says they’re so. Some things I cannot change, but till I try I’ll-” Draco stopped at the impressive vocal leap. He rarely heard songs of this nature. “-never know.” Without pausing to question his actions, the blond boy slumped down into the grass.

Too long I’ve been afraid of losing love I guess I’ve lost!” The voice sounded so, desperate and determined. It easily reminded him of his mother had Narcissa ever chosen a song to sing. “Well, if that’s love, it comes at much too high a cost! I’d sooner buy defying gravi-

“A student, you say, Miss Norris?” Oh, crap! Draco leapt to his feet. “This way, my dear?” The distinct meow of the cat reached his ears. Crap, crap, crap. Without a second thought, Draco ran noiselessly across the grounds to the security of his own chambers. Enough detentions for one night.

Whose was that voice?

* * *

References:

Wicked” – Music and Lyrics by Stephen Schwartz

To Be Continued.
Foreveress is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 14 members. Members who liked If Music Be the Food of Love also liked 645 other stories.
Leave a Review