Title: Crushed
Name: rainpuddle13
Rating: Not Naughty
Words: 629
Characters/Ships: teenage!Ava
Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.
Notes: For nokomis305 because she asked for an Ava ficlet.

Summary: Ava likes a boy, maybe.



Ava stood, rooted to the hard packed earth just outside the changing room down by the Quidditch pitch, hand unconsciously pushing stray tendrils of Malfoy blonde hair out of her face.

Kieren Aynsworth, captain of the Ravenclaw Quidditch team, tall, and ridiculously handsome in his blue robe, in her opinion, was headed her way.

The sudden urge to smile pretty and bat her eyelashes overtook her good senses, and it took everything she had not to turn into one of the simpering cows she shared a dorm with. She did not have time for boys, not with keeping up with her studies and logging as much time on the pitch as her head of house would allow.

She thought she liked his hair the best. He wore his dark brown hair longish, and opted for the messy look that made her little heart go aflutter every single time she set eyes on him. She thanked the deities that he was a year older and not in any of her classes, or else she’d have to explain to her father why she was failing all of her subjects.

The thought that she should have worn a better bra inexplicably crossed her mind as she watched his friends practically push him towards her.

Use your girls to your advantage! Boys can’t resist ‘em, Rauri’s voice echoed through her mind. Of course that was easy for her sister to say, she lucked out in that department.

Ava looked away, affecting a bored look just as he skidded to a halt beside her.

“Malfoy,” Kieren said curtly after a few awkward seconds of silence.

She sighed and slowly looked up at him, making sure he got a long look at her cornflower blue eyes. “Aynsworth.”

“I, uh,” he started, glancing at the ground and toeing an imaginary rock, before looking back at his friends. “I, uh, wanted to ask you to Hogsmeade this weekend, that is if you’re not busy,” he finished in a rush.

“Yes” sprang to mind, but her mouth refused to form the word.

A boy, a handsome one she fancied no less, had just asked her out. She blinked up at him for a moment, her mind a jumble of her father’s warnings about unscrupulous boys; her mum’s cautious urgings not to get too caught up; and her sister’s enthusiastic encouragement. It was more than she could process at one time.

“Well, Malfoy, what’s it going to be?” he said, obviously having found some bravado in front of his friends. “I haven’t got all day.”

Ava’s eyes narrowed, her ire having been instantly stirred up with his impertinence. How dare he speak to her in such a manner! She was a Malfoy! A princess even, her father said so, even if she’d rather die than admit it!

That was when her instinct overrode her better judgment, and she let her fist do the talking for her. Taking immense satisfaction at the sight of blood dribbling down his chin, and not feeling the least bit guilty for it either as Kieren’s friends made fun of him for allowing a girl to duff him up.

“Shove off,” she hissed, making a move like she was going to strike him again, smirking when he visibly flinched. Ava crossed her arms over her chest to discourage any inquiries from by-standers as the object of her daydreams slinked away like a scolded puppy.

Things had been set to rights again in her little world where Quidditch ruled, school came in a close second, and the boys of Hogwarts were once again afraid of her even if she did fleetingly wonder what it would be like to be snogged by impossibly handsome boys.

Someday, maybe, she’d know, long after her career in Quidditch was done.
To Be Continued.
Rainpuddle is the author of 23 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 20 members. Members who liked The Trouble with Princesses also liked 890 other stories.
Leave a Review